Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

dgt posted:

quality postpunk (I like Joy Division, Killing Joke, Magazine, PiL, Birthday Party, TG, etc etc)
Gang of Four and A Certain Ratio are good dance-focused post-punk; kind of like Public Image or Killing Joke, but more funky. Entertainment! is usually considered as central to post-punk as any of Joy Division's albums.

Echo & the Bunnymen are fantastic, though they're a touch lighter than the bands you named. For some reason it seems like they're mostly ignored by after-the-fact post-punk fans (e.g. hipster teenagers like myself), even though they're one of the more successful post-punk outfits. Probably because it's hard to take any band called "the Bunnymen" seriously. :wotwot:

Also, early Devo. :whip: Their first two albums and the Hardcore Devos are delightful Krautrock-influenced post-punk outings, and would probably be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

I'm not entirely sure how to describe the genre I'm looking for... somewhere between college rock and dance-pop. Thankfully, like everyone else in this thread, I made A LIST of bands :v:
  • Big Audio Dynamite
  • late-80s Public Image Ltd
  • Tom Tom Club
  • Oingo Boingo
  • The B-52's
  • Shriekback
  • Depeche Mode
  • Pet Shop Boys
Any recommendations? Dinosaur bands I haven't heard of would be good, but modern acts in this style (are there any?) would be even better.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Duckforce Alpha posted:

Where do I get started with They Might Be Giants? I remember hearing them a while back, and watching Coraline like 3 or 4 times has made me quite interested.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah, compilations aren't really a great way to get into TMBG- their best-ofs really don't do a good job of actually representing their best songs. Flood is indeed their most accessible early album, probably because it's somewhat less eclectic than most. I'm going to have to recommend The Else as a starting point, though- consistently quality tunes (one of them a Coraline outtake) that adequately represent the breadth of TMBG's musical styles.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

I'm looking for modern artists with a serious Devo influence. Examples of the kind of bands I'm looking for include Datarock, POLYSICS, to my boy, Epoxies, and Electric Six. Anybody got any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

HateTheInternet posted:

I'm looking for some music that's in the same vein as Oingo Boingo, Cardiacs, or I guess even Devo or Sparks. Quirky new wave, tongue-in-cheek stuff that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Can't imagine you haven't already listened to them, but Wall of Voodoo, Adam and the Ants, The B-52's?

More importantly though these Cardiacs are really cool. Thanks for alerting me to the existence of a great band I never would have heard otherwise.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

I'm loving Morrissey's rockabilly phase. Where can I find more music that combines rockabilly and indie rock?

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

I'm looking for upbeat high-energy fun-as-gently caress indie rock. For example: Matt & Kim, The Go! Team, Fang Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Are there bands out there that sound like Soul Coughing? Doughty's solo stuff doesn't really thrill me.