Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I'm in love with organs, especially electric organs like Hammonds. Stuff by The Doors that is heavy on organs is awesome, as is 'You hit the Nail on the head" by Funkadelic. What I'm looking for is some music that either incorporates organs nicely and frequently, or is based primarily off them. (already listen to Crystal Antlers by the way)

TheBoogeyMan posted:

Does anyone know some good songs that feature both male and female vocals? I am not particular about the genre.

Pretty much all the songs by Lovage feature both Mike Patton and Jennifer Charles. Reading back it looks like someone already suggested it, but definitely seconding it! Also check out pretty much anything by The Fiery Furnaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Does anyone know of some really relaxed, chill instrumental funk / hip hop? Specifically, I am in love with the two instrumental albums by the Beastie Boys and would love to find more like it.

Big Centipede posted:

I've recently gotten into Lovage and Handsome Boy Modeling School, especially the more vocally driven songs with hip hop elements.

What are some other good groups that have a similar style to these songs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKiXYveusc0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7tz03v8wc

Deltron 3030 and any other Dan the Automator project would be up your alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_HW_AQiKkc

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

I'm looking for some hip-hop in a similar vain to Aesop Rock, Saul Williams and Sage Francis. Any recommendations would be muchly appreciated, thanks!

Try Cannibal Ox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pADgllloQg4

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Awkward Davies posted:

I'm looking for some beats. Not techno, more like crunchy electronica. Think something around Peaches, Daft Punk, NIN, Gorillaz, with a bit of Kele thrown in. Can anyone help?

This is hard since all the artists you listed are nothing alike, but, Plump DJ's, Mint Royale, Breakbot, Digitalism, Mr. Oizo, Evil Nine.

Redkist posted:

Looking for any and all quality music from Italia whether it is in English or Italian or no vocals at all. Thanks!

This isn't exactly what you are looking for but Mike Patton released his album Mondo Cane that was a bunch of covers of Italian film songs, also seconding Ennio Morricone.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Revol posted:

I have a different kind of request. I'm not looking for a band or song or anything, but I don't think this warrants its own thread. So instead, I'm looking for a recommendation on how to keep track of my favorite bands.

When Ping came out for iTunes, it sounded like an interesting way to keep up with my favorite bands, but it just seems like another Facebook/MySpace type of thing that's only good for fandom. I don't care to see daily photos from the tour, and I don't care what the drummer has to say about Bangkok.

I just want a simple way to know when the bands I listen to are gonna release a new album, and when they'll be on tour near my area. Some bands that I follow religiously, like Metallica, that isn't really necissary. I've got a psychic-type thing going where, when they say they're coming to Tampa yet, I'll loving know it. (Or, it's just easier to follow them because I'm that big of a fan.)

But a lot of bands I don't follow that closely, or I'm not as familiar with, or I just started listening to, or are much smaller acts that can be hard to follow. I don't want to add Company of Thieves and Protest the Hero and so on to my Facebook.. and even if I did, I barely use it anyways.

I'd just like a website (or two) that I can go to, create a profile, and give a list of bands that I want to follow. Then it can say "Band A is releasing an album on this date, Band F is coming near you on this date" and so on. If I have to use one site for albums and another for tours, that's fine. I've done some searching of a site for the latter, but I'm not sure which is the best to use.

Last.FM does tours quite well, although it will be some extra effort to add in all your artists.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

KY Labia Majoris posted:

Really? Doesn't last.fm just kinda suck all of your play histories into it's brain and after loading, it immediately knows who your most played/etc are?

Well, I guess it depends on what you use. I use foobar which doesn't keep a running history, whereas iTunes does actually have its own history, although actually getting those stats off an iPod is poor as it only keeps them for one week.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

aude omnia posted:

I'm looking for really minimal music. Electronic or instrumental or, well, maybe vocal, but I can't imagine it. I love the Boards of Canada, and any atmospheric music- I know there's a lot of it- would be good, but good bedtime sounds would be terrific. :)

This is pretty much all I listen to now (well, ambient music, but that seems to be kinda what you're going for)! I'm not into the instrumental side (alot of Krautrock is really minimal, hypnotic, chillout stuff though) much but I do listen to alot of the electronic. Freescha is really good, there is obviously Brian Eno, Circular (a bit experimental, though), Aphex Twin's SAW albums too, and maybe early Luke Vibert/ Wagon Christ. (I guess this may be obvious but I don't know how into this stuff you are)

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I've really enjoyed Burial's Untrue for a long time, but I hate most of what is referred to as dubstep, so when I look for similar artists I usually don't get too far. Are there other dubstep artists out there with a sound like that, or just something generally chill and not the rabid bass drop poo poo I have usually associated with it?

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I love folk punk type stuff, but I've pretty much exhausted the entire Plan-it-x library. Any suggestions on which artists to listen to next?

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
So I recently heard the song Nephicide from the Find a song thread, apparently quite popular on SA. I was just wondering what is some music that is similar to the dance aspects of the songs, specifically from when the drums kick in to around when the "it's just a feeling" segment starts. Especially the drums, which seem to me to be reminiscent of IDM but arguably... dancier.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
The other day on a whim I picked up some Happy Hardcore compilation. My days of listening to dance music are long over but this is pretty fun. What are some good compilation albums or even normal albums of really danceable, 'hard-hitting' music? (not that it needs to be just gabber/hardstyle/rave/whatever. it could be electro or house or whatever.) Preferably not stuff that all sounds pretty much the exact same... in terms of dance music anyway.

edit:
vvvvv Actually Bonkers 13 is the compilation I was referring to that got me in this bent in the first place. I'll check out the other one though.

bomblol fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 13, 2011

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Stuff similar to Mike & Rich - Bu Bu Bu Ba ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thg0ucNEHJ4
I listen to a pretty decent amount of ambient / chillout / downtempo / whatever but this has a really different sound and feel, and actually more chilled out sound than most of those stuff I've heard in those genres. (actually I guess off the top of my head, some Freescha stuff comes pretty close)

bomblol fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 1, 2011

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
What are some suggestions for the type of soul like in Bewildered by James Brown? (and obviously a fair amount of other songs like his.) I listen to a fair amount of Mo-Town and now James Brown kick and the like but it's usually more on the upbeat and funky side.

bomblol fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 13, 2011

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Sad Mammal posted:

Can anyone recommend me more tracks/albums that feature lo-fi singers providing their own backing vocals? A few examples I like are: Tonstartssbandht, Grouper and Doseone (the tail-end of this sample).

Honestly, I don't really understand what exactly you're asking, but it seems like Alvin Band.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Hi! I would greatly appreciate any jazz with sexy French vocals. This is totally vague as heck but it's literally the only criteria I'm looking for.

I'm gonna chime in with the obvious answer, Serge Gainsbourg. N 2, N 4, and any of his earlier stuff is all pretty jazzy.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Much of Boards of Canada's work can be pretty unsettling, especially Geogaddi, known to some extent for occult undertones and stuff like that. Spooky.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I have been listening to a Celtic harp album recently, Morning Aire, and also the compilation album Celtic Treasure. The attractive part isn't just it being celtic but it calls to mind kind of a fantasy feel. Any more music with that fantasy and majestic atmoshpere, folk/traditional or orchestral, western or eastern, would be great.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

vanov posted:

I would like some suggestions for uptempo/anthem-y rock and/or metal. Basically what I'm after is for it to rock out but also to have kind of an uplifting sound? Here are some examples:

Devin Townsend - Hyperdrive!

Mew - Fox Cub/Apocalypso (start at 10:09)

Periphery - Facepalm Mute (:siren: djent warning :siren:)

Hard Mode: Do not recommend Muse. I hate Muse and always have with exception to Origin of Symmetry, gently caress

Do you ever listen to math rock? If not, get on that. There's a whole thread for it.
Here's what immediately was brought to my mind though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxJRnegO1cI

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Comin off this big punk bender on the previous page, I have a sort of similar request. I don't really listen to much hardcore punk or alot of the (to me, generic sounding) punk that tends to be sorta well known in punk circles. I'm more of a fan of Plan-it-X and related pop-punk type stuff. The best example would be The Max Levine Ensemble (and Spoonboy) as awesome pure fun pop punk, but Good Luck is great too, Imperial Can, Andrew Jackson Jihad's electric stuff, and some of the more instrumental stuff like Fashanu, Shinobu, and Teenage Cool kids (their first album, mainly, anyway.) I also really like alot of the new garage punk like Black Lips, Nobunny, Ty Segall, and Hunx. So I'm pretty much looking for anything that's similar to any of this stuff.
Also I really enjoyed both of these, if that helps:

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I used to listen to a fair amount of EDM, but stopped before the american-style dubstep was popular, so I've always been more comfortable with DnB, big beat, dub, 2step, grime glitch hop, and stuff like that. My friends are all really into contemporary edm stuff like dubstep and some of the more popular house artists. I'm tryin to bridge the gap so we can find poo poo to listen to together or when we have parties. FreQ Nasty's fabriclive mix has been really popular for both of us, along with some trap stuff I've been showing them lately. (alot of Mad Decent stuff). Anyway any suggestions, especially for compilation albums, would be welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I have this tripping playlist set up. I don't really like listening to the stereotypical psy trance or whatever, instead I prefer mostly upbeat-ish, electronic or noise tinge pop/rock. So far, it's composed of Starfucker - Reptilians, Dan Deacon - Bromst, The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Black Moth Super Rainbow - Eating Us, Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms. (Also it has fang island and gatto fritto but I'm thinking of removing those as they don't fit much.) I know these are all sorta disparate, but any suggestions on what more I can add?