Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Hey folks, what Talk Talk album would be a good starting point? I've only heard "Its my life" so far, but I really enjoy the vocals. According to allmusic (bleh) there is a big stylistic leap between each album, so I'm not too sure where to jump in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I would just start from where you've already started and go on in chronological order. The Colour of Spring is great, and Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock even better. The shift in style isn't so big if you listen in order, it's more of an evolution. Spirit of Eden is probably my favorite, the sweet spot for me over their career.

Also, don't overlook Mark Hollis's self titled album in essentially the same style as late Talk Talk.

Thanks for the tip. It took me a while to warm up to his voice, probably due to some sort of vocal tic or just the airiness of it.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

Someone recommended Odessey and Oracle to me a few years back, and I was about to go buy it until I realized The Zombies was the same band I had heard for years as a kid (most notably Time of the Season) on the radio. I never liked that track for various reasons, mainly because it reminded me of a middling Bobby Darin song (I know this is a dumb opinion, I just can't help associating that song with Darin). Can anyone help me change my frame of mind so I can appreciate Odessey and Oracle on my first listen? I feel like I'm missing out on a great album.