Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

TropiusInABox posted:

I got the impression mostly from the slidy phrygian strings in the first track reminding me of stuff my egyptian relatives listen to. Even if it has nothing to do with Arabic music I'm interested either in stuff that sounds similar to it or actual Arabic orchestral music as oppossed to just Oud like Hamza El Din.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for but there's orchestras that do classical Arabic songs. Although set to a western orchestra, the usually retain a certain amount of the sound, for instance this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CftWk_C1J-s

I don't know of any good source other than just going to youtube and typing in the name of songs with orchestral after it (ex. "ibn al balad orchestral" brings up a couple).

Other than that sort of thing, the only thing I can think of that even sort of comes close to "Arabic orchestral" music would be the mehteran; it's Turkish and tends to use horns/percussion and not really any strings.

Some examples
Yinede Sahlaniyor
Ceddin Deden
Yelkenler Bichilecek

I realise this probably doesn't help you much, but maybe can get you pointed in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
I'm not entirely sure what the genre is called (electro or synthpop maybe?) but can anyone recommend things like this? Stuff that's electronic, kind of poppy, but not "happy", I guess?

It doesn't have to be in Arabic, but I would prefer a female vocalist and it not being in English if at all possible.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
This song randomly popped up on suggestions on youtube-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Bq4MoS7r4 and I'm looking for more like it. The title says "femme darkwave" so I've been using that as a search, but it tends to bring up a lot of stuff like the Cure which I find to be too plodding/slow paced for me. Thanks for anyone who can help!