Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

karl fungus posted:

Can anyone suggest more bands like Yes? Basically, I'm looking for more progressive rock albums with lengthy songs that have a symphonic feel to them. I also really enjoy more spaced-out sounds as well, like the better albums of Steve Hillage and Lemmy-era Hawkwind.
Van Der Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant should be up your alley. Check out "Pawn Hearts" from the former and "Acquiring the Taste" and "Octopus" from the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've always been pretty ambivalent toward electronic music as a whole, but I have found that I really enjoy three albums. I love the building, somewhat menacing atmosphere of Massive Attack - Mezzanine and DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...... Is there a logical step from there? I guess they both fall under trip-hop (Mezzanine more so than Endtroducing).

I also really like Cosmogramma by Flying Lotus. Don't know if I can pinpoint why. His hip-hop album as Captain Murphy was good too. Anything similar?

I listened to Burial - Kindred because I heard it was amazing, but mostly I was bored by it. I also already know and love 65daysofstatic, but that's much more due to their post-rock elements as opposed to the IDM and breakcore that they incorporate.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I spend half of my internet time on music-related websites and message boards. Sputnik Music is probably my favorite for keeping up with new releases. If you're a metalhead, GameFAQs of all places has a very knowledgeable board in that genre. I'm guessing a lot of people use Pitchfork and Stereogum for general new release knowledge. And if you have a collection built up on RateYourMusic, there's a little sidebar on your profile page that tells you when new stuff by artists you have is coming out.

It also helps to have a lot of music nerd friends.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Donuts has always intrigued me because of the sheer amount of acclaim it receives, but I've shied away from it because it seems like a "beats" album as opposed to a collection of songs. I'm guessing I'm just dumb and wrong and should actually listen to it.

What little I've heard of RJD2 (the Mad Men theme and his remix of "Lose Yourself") is cool, and I love the albums that I've heard from Def Jux (read: I love anything El-P touches) so him being a part of that label is a good sign. I'll look into the other artists you mentioned as well, thanks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh, I wasn't asking for post-rock recs. I'm already pretty knowledgeable about that genre (and am a fan of both of those albums).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is there any post-hardcore out there with instrumentation (specifically guitar-playing) like the Fall of Troy? I'm a pretty big fan of post-hardcore as well as "mathcore"/spastic hardcore and metalcore a la the Dillinger Escape Plan. But I've yet to find a band that marries the two styles the way TFOT does.

I already know Just Like Vinyl.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I already listen to Dance Gavin Dance (Will Swan is also a fantastic guitar player). Never cared for the Number 12 or Alexisonfire. I'll check out Faraquet--their lone album looks promising.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Eight Is Legend posted:

I listened to the debut album by Glass Cloud earlier, and they have quite a few noodly bits in their brand of post-hardcore. Also, have you checked out Circa Survive?
I have, and I'm not really a fan outside of Violent Waves.

I'm also wondering if there's any modern hardcore with notable lead guitar playing. I love stuff like Defeater and Modern Life is War that's really focused on impassioned vocals, but instrumentally those bands always seem to keep it pretty simple besides maybe the drums. Same goes for screamo. Any bands that combine the emotional intensity of those bands with guitar heroics?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Already know DLJ. Not really the style I'm looking for.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There's a huge subset of screamo bands that fit that exact description. Here's some:

City of Caterpillar
Daitro
Foxes
Gospel
Iselia
Pianos Become the Teeth
Raein
Sed Non Satiata
State Faults
Suis la Lune

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ADullMin posted:

Sorry I should've made it more clear, I'm really looking for a lot more post-rock influenced screamo
I already enjoy most of those
...That's what I gave you. If you already listen to them then that's cool, but those are mostly Envy-styled post-rock influenced screamo bands.

You might also like the Elijah. Their screamo influence is a little bit more subdued (they're closer to post-hardcore I guess). It's almost just post-rock with vocals.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Can anyone recommend me any "workers lament" songs like "16 tons" by merle travis? The more the better, no specific genre of music.
Dead Kennedys - Soup is Good Food

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Check out the other bands on Adebisi Shank's label, Richter Collective. And So I Watch You From Afar should be up your alley. BATS are also great, but are as close to post-hardcore as they are to math rock.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Some stuff I was recommended in this very thread:

J Dilla - Donuts
RJD2 - Deadringer
Blockhead - Music By Cavelight

None of them are exactly like Endtroducing but the first two are heavily sample based and you should find something to enjoy in all of them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Captain, We're Sinking album is pretty spectacular pop-punk, and I normally hate that genre.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I believe you're looking for this thread.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FrozenLederhosen posted:

Woah. I don't listen to much Hip-Hop but Run the Jewels blew my mind. It's the first album in a long while that I can listen to the whole thing through, over and over. Anything similar?

I also like Aesop rock, and Yeezus was okay.
Get your hands on as much of El-P's other work as possible. He and Killer Mike collaborated last year on an album called R.A.P. Music, which was the best hip-hop album of 2012. His solo work is excellent (check out Fantastic Damage for starters). The one album that his group Company Flow did (Funcrusher Plus) is also excellent. And he produced The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox which, unsurprisingly, is excellent.

Some other hip-hop you might like:
P.O.S./Doomtree
Sadistik
Eyedea & Abilities

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Spotify for me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Digable Planets.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LordPants posted:

I've really, really been digging Jurassic 5 - Quality Control. Where next in Alternative Hip-Hop?
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

im gay posted:

Melodic death/doom/neofolk/dark metal, bands like Agalloch, Swallow the Sun, Saturnus, My Dying Bride, Throes of Dawn.

Any recommendations?
You might like Barren Earth, who are a supergroup featuring the vocalist from Swallow the Sun.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

I've been really into Mastodon, particularly stuff like Blood Mountain through The Hunter but I enjoy stuff like Remission as well. What are some more bands that have heavy parts as well as psychadelic/progressive/melodic sections? Nothing too technical, though, I tend to hate stuff like Dream Theater.
Pretty much the whole Georgia stoner/sludge scene has been following Mastodon's career arc a year or two behind them. Baroness, Kylesa, Black Tusk--any band that has John Baizley doing album art really. I also recommend Intronaut.

If you like Remission-era Mastodon, Neurosis is an absolute must. They are by far the biggest influence on Mastodon's early work as well as a ton of other bands. Scott Kelly also contributed vocals to Crack the Skye and Aqua Dementia.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

I love all of the stuff you recommended. I already knew about Baroness but Kylesa and Black Tusk are both great. Neurosis I also knew about but hadn't listened to in ages. It's a good jumping off point, thanks a lot!
Sure thing. They're less similar but if you want something with more of a proggy focus that isn't tech wank, you might like Giant Squid. The Ichthyologist is one of the coolest metal albums ever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You might like Dessa's debut, Parts of Speech.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

John Zorn does some jazz/grindcore albums but I honestly forget which. Naked City's s/t is the only one I recall at the moment. Not much other jazzcore I know of except this weird-rear end sludge/free improv album.

Midori are pretty unrivaled among the J-punk scene, but I can recommend Shinsei Kamattechan, Melt-Banana, and Wakusei Abnormal in addition to 385.
Torture Garden is the other Naked City album you're thinking of.

Kazinsal posted:

So Dream Theater's new album is, well, I wouldn't say it's great, but it's not bad. Two instrumentals is pretty cool, especially since one is an opener.

I think the 22-minute closing track probably could have been split into two or three sections, though. Nothing against long songs (I'm a prog fan, dammit), but there's enough dissonance between some of the sections that they're practically totally different songs jammed together in one track.

e: I recommend it.
Read the first post.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

the posted:

Looking for more "Rappers yelling as loud as they can" a-la "Ante Up" and "Slam". Suggestions?

Lords of the Underground
Ghostface Killah
Busta Rhymes
Death Grips if you want something really weird.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Modern metal acts I enjoy: Kylesa, Melvins, Mastodon, Lamb of God, Gojira, Big Business.

Suggestions, my brothers and sisters?

Baroness
High On Fire
Cave In
Zozobra

It might suit you well to just go to the Stoner/Doom/Sludge thread and ask for everyone's favorites.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Maybeshewill are frequently compared to 65dos, although their IDM elements are far less pronounced. They're also fantastic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Where to go next with noise rock in the vein of Lightning Bolt and Melt-Banana? Already planning to check out the Boredoms.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

Boris, No Age, Tiny Hawks, Hella, Part Chimp
Already have Boris and Hella, and I've been meaning to check out Part Chimp. Thanks.

MooCowlian posted:

Isis and Neurosis are my go to bands for stuff like studying, when I need something in the background that's not so minimal as to be almost not there, but not energetic/catchy enough to really sing along to or be too distracting. Any recommendations for stuff that will scratch that itch, particularly if it's in whatever genre we're putting those two in right now?

The genre you're looking for is atmospheric sludge or "post-metal." Cult of Luna, Rosetta, Mouth of the Architect, Minsk, and Pelican and Russian Circles (if you want instrumental stuff) are good ones.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm not sure if we have a "Where do I start with..." thread, but I'll edit this stuff out if there's a more appropriate thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2761269

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
More bands with guitar playing like This Town Needs Guns? I already have some of the big name indie/math rock bands (Maps & Atlases and Minus the Bear).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hooplah posted:

The Speed of Sound in Seawater
Tangled Hair
Algernon Cadawallader and if you like them check out Mike Kinsella's poo poo from the nineties like American Football and Cap'n Jazz

Believe me, I've got all the Kinsellacore I need. I'll check out the other stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Xandoom posted:

Does anyone have reccomendations for metal bands with a female vocalist in it? I have been listening to Battlelore a lot lately, so something along those lines.

I don't have anything symphonic, but as far as clean female vocalists in metal I like Witch Mountain, Christian Mistress and Jex Thoth.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Russian Circles are an instrumental band, so...

Try out:

Fu Manchu
Wo Fat
Torche
Church of Misery (their vocals are a little bit out there)
Eternal Elysium
Corrosion of Conformity
Orange Goblin
sHEAVY
Monster Magnet
Unida
Big Business

And you really do need to get on the Kyuss wagon ASAP. Also Primus seem really out of place with what you're asking for.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you can deal with harsh vocals, Cormorant's "Blood on the Cornfields" is about the Nat Turner rebellion.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tarasenko Tank posted:

Something that sounds like Illmatic by Nas, because it's the only rap album I ever really got into and I love the beats and samples more than anything.
Hmm...well there's any number of East Coast classics but none of them hit that combination of smooth and gritty quite as well as Illmatic. Try some of these:

The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Gang Starr - Hard to Earn
Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All much heavier than you're probably looking for, but:

Mastodon - Leviathan
The Fall of Troy - Phantom on the Horizon
Giant Squid - The Ichthyologist (you might like certain songs on this more)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Looking for a few things as I'm currently back in a phase where I like wanky instrumental stuff.

More solo bass players
I'm a bassist so I'm always a sucker for this. I've got most of the big names--Stanley Clarke, Les Claypool, Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorius, Stuart Hamm, getting around to Victor Wooten eventually (is it a shame that I've never listened to him after playing for 8 years?). Any albums that are worth listening to?

Jazz Fusion
Already have Al di Meola, Billy Cobham, Brand X, Frank Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra/John McLaughlin, Weather Report, Herbie Hancock and Bitches Brew-era Miles Davis. My favorite of this is Mahavishnu.

Instrumental guitar that isn't super-cheesy
My problem with shred guitar is less that it's "soulless" and more that most of the well-known albums in this genre are very much a product of their era. I'm looking at you in particular, Yngwie. Any good instrumental guitar albums that don't feel extremely late 80s/early 90s? Already have Eric Johnson's Ah Via Musicom (which isn't totally exempt from this problem). Same with Satriani, and I'm looking into Jason Becker/Marty Friedman/Cacophony and Michael Schenker (whose playing I adore in UFO).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have, and I am a fan of Jeff Beck's playing if that helps.