Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm looking for a bit of an odd recommendation, because it's a genre I really like and is rare as all hell: "Updated" Spaghetti Western music, mixed with another genre - most often rock, metal or industrial overtones but I'm pretty open.

A great example would be a couple of the short tracks on the Escape from LA soundtrack. I've been fortunate enough to run across this sub-genre a few other times, but generally only a song here or there, or part of a song.. never something approaching an album or band that does this sort of thing.

So yeah. Basically I'm looking for anything that's a unique take on the kind of music you might hear in The Good The Bad and the Ugly or films of that ilk. I'd really love it if it had an almost sci-fi'ish vibe to it; there were times it got close to this with the Firefly/Serenity soundtracks, but despite the whole theme, it was still very, very rare.

I realize that this isn't QUITE what you're looking for, but My Favorite Band, thinking fellers union local 282, did a quirky cover of some Morricone tracks from A Fistful of Dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKYr-pQ4htE

"Spy jazz" is how I often hear this described, but that doesn't really tell me much or help me find similar music.

I got a couple of comps of high life/afrofunk/etc that has similar material but I need more and more quality. Kinda reminds me of Mulatu Astatke's material. Rhythmic, sexy, mysterious, etc.

Please help!

Chico Buarque. This reminds me a lot of Chico Buarque. Check out his collabs with Edu Lobo and Ennio Morricone.

It's definitely slightly less smoky and slightly more tropical, but I think you might dig it.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Seconding this because it's my favorite band in the whole wide world and goddamn they're so amazing.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Anyone who's still rocking dadrock should be listening to Roy Harper. Get Stormcock.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can anyone namedrop some more bands like early era Thrice (artist in the ambulance) Thursday (War All The Time) and Senses Fail (Still Searching) ? I've been pretty interested in the genre lately I guess (google calls it "Post Hardcore").

Those guys tend to lean more to the emo side for my tastes, but if you want a primer to that kind of thick n' crunchy post-hardcore (as opposed to the watery n' tinny variant), you should get Drive Like Jehu's Yank Crime, Fugazi's Repeater, and Unwound's Leaves Turn Inside You as a helpful triptych primer. And if you like any of those albums, holy poo poo do I have a bunch of recommendations for you.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Octorok posted:

I'm looking for some 60's-70's psychedelic pop, except with slow or mid tempo, like a
somber Brian Wilson tune.

Specifically, I'm looking for stuff with layered instrumentation, soul-influenced vocals, or otherwise songs by people who are clearly tripping balls with sitars and flutes and poo poo, and less of that 13th Floor Elevators garage rock sound.

Colonel Bagshot
The United States of America
Love

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

dolphins are gay posted:

I'm crazy about Butterfly Knife by EMA. What should I be looking at?

Gowns. Hot drat Gowns is so great.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

the black husserl posted:

ATTN MUSIC GENIUSES

I would love to hear some emo, but a very specific kind of emo: 90s emo. It's a really certain kind of thing. Specifically, the type of music that informed the sound of this D&D referencing emo track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSlmpDQIH8

The more recommendations the better!

I didn't watch your video but American Football

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

FetusOvaries posted:

Are there any bands that truly sound similar to Hum? They have that shoegazy post-hardcore emoish sound that I love. Something like this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5leudffkWjY

You might enjoy Shiner. They're not quite as fuzzy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmdVYpkjaPo

Or Seam. They're slightly fuzzier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzbbacrQQM8

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Also, that Hum song is goddamn amazing and I'm totally gonna start listening to them now. So, uh, thanks for that recommendation.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Check out Ry Cooder's Chavez Ravine and proceeding albums. They contain some lovely out-there Cooderish tracks, but for the most part they're norteno interpretations of Mexican folk music.

Also, that first track sounds like more than a few Devotchka songs, so maybe give them a try?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

HP Hovercraft posted:

I'm looking for some more awesome MINIMAL music. I love all the classic minimalist composers like Terry Riley, La Monte Young, and Steve Reich, and I'm also into all sorts of experimental rock with minimal tendencies like Oneida, Zs, and Don Caballero, and of course I love all things krautrock. What else do you think would tickle my fancy?

I don't want to bog you down with suggestions, because the suggestions you've gotten so far have been good. But, as a case study, here's three VERY good, very different contemporary albums that have a strong minimalist influence:

Boris - Flood
Sparks - Lil' Beethoven
Jim O'Rourke - Bad Timing

Three of my favorite albums, all use stasis and repetition and cyclical structure to achieve different aims. Spaciousness, irony, and tranquility, respectively. They're three very brainy albums, and I think you'll enjoy all of them.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Hey, speaking of Boris btw, can anyone recommend me some albums that sound like Heavy Rocks [I]? Specifically like some of the shorter tracks in the middle. Super loud, bassy, bursting-at-the-seams, noisy and vaguely futuristic cock rock? I'm in need of more loud fast music in my life that doesn't sound like speed metal or blooz retreads. TIA

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Torche is GREAT, Big Business is SIMILAR BUT EVEN BETTER. All other recs will make up my weekend raging playlist. Full report shall follow.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

vanov posted:

Drummers. They also play in Melvins, since Nude with Boots forward iirc.

(A) Senile Animal in fact, which is just an amazing Melvins album.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Niggurath posted:

I wonder if anyone can recommend me something similar to Mae Shi/Signals. Semi dancey but very strange electronic rock I guess? It's hard for me to describe them.

This isn't a recommendation at all, but you brought up one of my favorite Bands Nobody Has Heard Of and I feel like I would be doing a disservice if I didn't point you in the direction of Mae Shi's earlier Ezra Buchla era, which sounds 100% different but is just as awesome. Terrorbird, Heartbeeps, the split w/ Rapider Than Horsepower, and to a lesser extent To Hit Armor Class 0 are all nifty glitchy spazzy noisy albums. Also it's a natural bridge to Gowns and EMA, who are both great.

Like I said, not really a recommendation because you might just completely hate them. But check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOF1kV7cVVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHE4zLeOzu4

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Residents - Big Bubble
Residents - Mark of the Mole
Residents - The Tunes of Two Cities

Also Wormwood which isn't my favorite Residents album musically, but might be my favorite conceptually.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
IV

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
All of the above, especially Super Ae/Vision Creation Newsun and omg Earthless

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Can anyone recommend some dark ambient/noise-punk stuff? Things you might hear in the back of a Death Grips track, but not necessarily conducive to hip hop.

You can find some of this stuff in the rest of Zach Hill's oeuvre, but you gotta dig a bit. I recommend his solo albums and both albums by Holy Smokes if you want something a bit less ambient and more chaotic. Particularly Face Tat.

Like this a little, eh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYE-fgmrAPw

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 11, 2012

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Jandek. ~4-6 albums per year since 1980, most of them absolutely atrocious. Sounds like Derek Bailey if Derek Bailey secretly sucked at guitar instead of being secretly awesome at guitar. Ready for the House and Six and Six are actually pretty great if you're in the mood for eerie, sleepy, dissonant blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCCmKDNKpKA

He's an acquired taste. I find him terrible and interesting and very very occasionally awesome.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 17, 2012

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Okard posted:

So I just listened to Slint - Spiderland, and it's pretty much my favourite album at the moment. What other stuff will I like? I heard it's post-rock, but it isn't like GY!BE are the stuff I'd usually call post-rock.

Like everything recommended so far is golden, but Rusty by Rodan is like a crunchier carbon copy of Spiderland, and everything by Shipping News is really really close to what that album was laying down, so if if you want some very direct recommendations there's that

edit: And post-rock is a pretty commodious genre that is awfully prone to being projected upon, but there is definitely one strain that's sparse/brooding/artsy-fartsy that was popular in the 90s, and one strain that is twinkly/majestic/dramatic that's popular now-ish. I definitely prefer the former, which is why I don't get much traction out of the post-rock thread here which from numerous glances seems mostly to be about the latter.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 18, 2013

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Maremidon posted:

So after listening to Purple Rain and The Gold Experience, I've discovered I like Prince. What album should I try next?

Sign O The Times is probably the best choice if you like The Warmer Side Of Prince, but I really dig that cold robot funk, so I say 1999.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

User0015 posted:

Can anyone recommend some music with 'haunting' or 'melancholy' tone. Not lyrics, but more of a general tone to the music that is depressing or full of sorrow and despair, preferably with a rock/metal theme but anything that's aggressive will work. What I'm not looking for is laid back music of any kind. There should be some aggressiveness to the music while the lyrics crush my soul. I'd offer up some examples, but I don't know of any that don't fit in the latter category. Please help!

If you haven't heard Codeine, they nail the melancholy tonics and they do a great loud-soft-loud dynamic that I think you might enjoy. They're very slow and during the softer parts of their songs they have a very mellow, lethargic thing going on, but they're very good at ending the soporifics with walls of loud guitars.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Sounds more like Ska than Metal to me.
I do not understand this comment at all.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
So I've fallen hard for Adam and the Ants' Kings of the Wild Frontier and it's the first time that I've been so utterly addicted to an album in a long, long-rear end time, and I want more like it. Specifically like that album, and not like any other A&As/AA albums, or Bow Wow Wow or anything like that. I really like the big thunderous drumbeats and the crazy multi-layered vocal harmonies and the general deep-glammy-bombastic sound, where everything is really garish and catchy and still kinda lo-fi and intimate at the same time. I'm reasonably familiar with a lot of the artier New Wave/New Rom contemporaries, but none of them seem to sound quite as special.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Jonnymonster posted:

Oh and already a massive Tortoise fan :D
You should check out Ui. They're a big no-brainer rec off of Tortoise, I think. They're basically a funkier, more concise Tortoise.

Also, less obscure, more of a leap, but one of The Best Bands: Gastr Del Sol, if you're not already a fan.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I think a good path to follow with Gastr is reverse chronologically. Camofleur is a downright pretty album. Maybe try Mirror Repair before Upgrade & Afterlife.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Arvo Paert is a "he", and Henryk Gorecki does a similar, less airy sort of minimalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brotY-aMCBE

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I'm an EFL teacher in Taiwan and I have to write a performance for 23 Taiwanese 6-year-olds to sing. The theme is seasons, and the way my script is I really want the song for winter to be some kind of "cool" pun. Is there an age-appropriate, preferably wintry-sounding song that a bunch of non-native-speaking 6-year-olds could conceivably learn that revolves around a "cool" pun?

Worse comes to worst I'll just toss a Christmas song in there, but I really would like to nail this one.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Could anyone recommend me some more stuff like Thomas Dolby's The Golden Age Of Wireless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPZHYXgTjr8

and Wang Chung

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-xpJRwIA-Q

I only know Wang Chung from Dance Hall Days and To Live And Die In LA. What album would be a good starting point for stuff like that?

A lot of obvious choices here, but I think a more artier-fartier tack might be rewarding for you. Specifically thinking of Wire's A Bell Is a Cup and like mid-period PiL, like Album.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Alright, I've had a few unsuccessful requests in this thread so far, but I hope you can help me out with this one, because I've still never found a band that excites me in the jittery, noisy way that those first couple of Mae Shi records did. And I'm always searching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHE4zLeOzu4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6CbtKwbtLo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOF1kV7cVVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7wyme5fpcw

So yeah. I don't even want to hear an exact soundalike, just something with the same kind of excited, lo-fi, tense/noisy/beepy-bloopy sort of intensity about it. Help

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

funkybottoms posted:

Ex-Models, Erase Errata, Hella, and early Boredoms (before they went all epic). others maybe worth a listen: early Gang of Four, Clinic, An Albatross, and Pere Ubu. gonna assume you're familiar with them, but since they haven't been mentioned, i love No Age.

Ooooh I hate early Boredoms! I sat on that band for so long after hearing Pop Tatari and Chocolate Synth that I almost never bothered to listen to Super AE, which is still one of my favorite albums of all time. I have a love/hate thing with Hella, Gang of Four was my favorite band in high school, Pere Ubu has always struck me as more interesting and cerebral than intense and visceral, and Ex-Models is really cool. I'll check the rest of those folks out, tyvm!

BTW, while youtubing Ex-Models to refresh my memory on them, I answered my own question in the recommendations: Oneida. I distinctly remember listening to Rated O for the first time and thinking "Wow, this is like Terrorbird-level cool." That's A Good Band!

Hypnolobster posted:

This is probably going to be a bit too much, but you could try Melt-Banana.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ6Sk8Aj-SQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLK3TsVoTxQ
They're pretty much exactly what I personally associate with jittery, noisy and excitable. Not exactly approachable for some though :v:

Y'know, I remember hearing a lot of bad things about Melt-Banana before I first listened to them, then I listened to a bit of Charlie and thought it was pretty alright. I haven't listened to them since, I should give them another shot. Them youtube songs you posted are pretty crazy and I think I really like them.

Hooplah posted:

After checking your post history, I guess you might be familiar with all these, but check out Ponytail, early Deerhoof, Brainiac, and xbxrx.

e: also volcano!

Deerhoof is a cute band that I like but I haven't heard anything earlier than Reveille. Any particular album from that area?

I listened to a few Ponytail songs on youtube... that guitarist is super cool but is the singer that annoying in all of their songs? I'm a Mae Shi fan, I obviously have a high tolerance for grating singers, but I listened to "Beg Waves" and "Easy Peasy" and the singer just made me feel tired after a while.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

I think I just found the band that I'm going to be obsessed about for the next month or so.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

het posted:

This is why I said "did you read more than 8 words", because the next six were "like '16 tons' by merle travis".

And then later said "no specific genre of music".

Speakin of which, I would recommend to MattD1zz "Ball and Chain" by XTC, cuz it's got a good clip cloppy thing and you can get kids to dance to it. :downs:

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 2, 2013

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Declan MacManus posted:

Can anyone recommend me stuff similar to Tera Melos' latest two albums? Mathy but with definite song structures. I dislike Maps and Atlases if that helps.

A little bit on the nose, but Bygones.

Also, Other Men. loving brilliant Rob Crow project. Like someone made math rock into a drug and they're the freebase, super-potent version of that drug. But it's Rob Crow, so it's still really pretty-sounding and song-like. They only have one album, the whole thing is up on youtube.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Henchman of Santa posted:

Instrumental guitar that isn't super-cheesy
My problem with shred guitar is less that it's "soulless" and more that most of the well-known albums in this genre are very much a product of their era. I'm looking at you in particular, Yngwie. Any good instrumental guitar albums that don't feel extremely late 80s/early 90s? Already have Eric Johnson's Ah Via Musicom (which isn't totally exempt from this problem). Same with Satriani, and I'm looking into Jason Becker/Marty Friedman/Cacophony and Michael Schenker (whose playing I adore in UFO).

Kinda of a lazy recc, but have you heard Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Who sounds like Tortoise but less boring

More like this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zRJftR_508

and less jazz noodling

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I want some poppy-rear end doom metal/sludge. Like Torche, Big Business, Goblin Cock, the odd hosed Up track, etc. I've rediscovered my love for this stuff and I want more. The more jubilant, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pallbearer. Accessible, hella heavy. Also, anything the Melvins have done in the last few reeleases.

I just listened to Sorrow and Extinction on the youtube and it's good (really good!) but not really what I'm asking about, ie not at all poppy or upbeat in the slightest. But it's been a long while since I listened to some Sleep-rear end dum, so thanks for the trip down memory lane

Henchman of Santa posted:

An obvious choice but Baroness - Blue Record

This! This is good! This is what I'm looking for!