Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
I'm looking for some trance/techno stuff that sounds anything like Orbital's "Halycon + On + On". I love that track, it's got a great "chill out" beat to it. Anyone know of anything similar to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

guppy posted:

Try Chicane's album Behind The Sun.

I would love more recommendations in this vein myself, actually, as evidenced by my post about Chicane on this page.

Listened to the samples on Amazon, that's pretty good stuff, thanks :)

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

You guys were so awesome helping me find the good techno/chill/ambient music, I figured I'd stop back in for something completely different this time.

I'm looking for something similar to "Within Temptation", "Krypteria" and "Lacuna Coil". Basically, good Goth Rock, I guess? Bonus if the singer's a chick. Something about the mesh of awesome hard rock instrumentals and a female's voice just appeals to me.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Misogynist posted:

:eng101:

Thanks for the edumacation. I'll make sure I'm not mixing them up in the future ;) And thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a listen at them.

EDIT: Wow, some of that is pretty good, but a lot of it (especially Vovin) is extremely operatic, which isn't quite what I'm after. I guess I was a little vague, since the bands I cited as examples have some of that stuff themselves.

Specific examples would be songs like "The Howling" and "What Have You Done?" by Within Temptation, "All Systems Go" and "Somebody Save Me" by Krypteria, "Spellbound" and "The Maze" by Lacuna Coil, "Bring Me to Life" and "Going Under" and "Sweet Sacrifice" by Evanescence (yeah I know, most people hate them). While I don't think this quite falls into the same category, I also like "I'm So Sick" by Flyleaf.

I hope that helps narrow down my tastes a little more. Thanks :)

Jadz fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 16, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

het posted:

you might check out Lullacry's album Crucify My Heart.

Thanks, I'll give them a listen :)

EDIT: I like it! Definitely interested in more stuff like that, thanks a lot!

Jadz fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 19, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Bean_ posted:

Whether you want to hear it or not, this is your entrance into metal. There's no going back now. :)

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I'm not exactly new to metal - I normally listen to stuff like Killswitch Engage (my favorite band), Slipknot, All That Remains, Trivium, etc. I was just looking for something a little different (but still metal) ;)

I only started giving Lacuna Coil a serious listen like last year after I heard "Heaven's A Lie" on the Headbanger's Ball album. I picked up Comalies (which was good, but I didn't think it was their best) based on that. Later, I heard a few songs from Karmakode (thank you Rock Band!) and picked that up too. Then I got to see them live on the Music as a Weapon 09 tour (they were awesome) so I decided to get Shallow Life, and have not been disappointed; it's probably their hardest album so far (one or two songs I skip through, but overall a good album). They have pretty much spurred my interest into female-fronted metal.

I guess the point is I normally listen to more "conventional" metal, but have lately been discovering (and thoroughly enjoying) the more "gothic" or "symphonic" stuff. Especially when a chick is fronting the band. Something about the blending of pretty (yeah I said it) vocals mixed with awesome metal music appeals to me.

Thanks for the recommends, I'll have a listen at them when I get home from work :)

EDIT: In case anyone else wants more stuff like I've been looking at, I'd like to recommend a few myself:

Krypteria: German band fronted by a Korean chick, Ji-in Cho. She doesn't quite have the high vocal range of a lot of singers, but she's still pretty good and the band is super-talented. All Systems Go is probably my favorite Krypteria song (bad-rear end guitar solo, right up there with Adam D. from KSE imo).
All Systems Go, from the album Blood Angel's Cry

Within Temptation: Dutch band. The singer, Sharon den Adel, has a really nice voice with good range, and it mixes well with the band's metal music. The Howling is my favorite song of theirs so far.
The Howling, from the album The Heart of Everything

Lullacry: Recommended to me in this very thread (thanks guys :) ). From Finland (why are the awesome chick-fronted bands always foreign?) and fronted by Tanja Lainio. She has a decent voice; not as pretty as Sharon den Adel's, but better range than Ji-in Cho. Crucify My Heart is the only album I've listened to so far, but I'm liking it a lot, and will probably check out their other stuff soon.
Crucify My Heart, from the album of the same name

Lacuna Coil: Italian band fronted by the hot hot Christina Scabbia. She's got a really great voice, and the band is awesome. The other singer, Andrea, has improved his English since their last couple albums, and Shallow Life is probably their best album so far, imo. If you're into this kind of music and haven't ever given them a good listen, you ought to. They did a pretty awesome cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence.
Spellbound, from their new album Shallow Life
Enjoy the Silence, covered on their album Karmakode

Jadz fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 16, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

I have a flatmate that listens to almost nothing except hip-hop and metal. Now we share pretty similar tastes when it comes to the former but when it comes to metal I know close to nothing. Most of the stuff he plays isn't really my cup of tea- probably a bit too hard for my liking but every now and then I hear something I like. From the little I've heard of Between the Buried and Me I've liked. The breakdowns are great and the guy has a wicked voice. I've also enjoyed Black Dahlia Murder although I've probably only heard a couple of their tracks.

Metal certainly isn't something I listen to all the time but I'm interested in expanding my horizons and seeing what else is out there.

Well, metal is a pretty broad term, and I don't listen to many bands that are quite as hard and heavy thrashing as Black Dhalia Murder or Between the Buried and Me, but based on your comment about most of that kind of stuff being a bit too hard for you, I'd like to make suggestions for some slightly less harsh metal that you might enjoy. Some of this stuff is similar to those two, but a lot of it is not quite so abrasive. Hopefully you'll hear something you like.

If you like growling/screaming vocals, I highly recommend Killswitch Engage. Really great guitar work, and the lead singer does lots of growling; but he also does some actual singing and the rest of the band's music is easier to understand and follow than some of the thrash stuff you posted. They're a nice medium between the super-heavy stuff your flatmate listens to and the softer stuff you might hear on the radio. Rose Of Sharyn is one of ther best songs, in my opinion.

Trivium is an excellent band who sounds more like classic metal than anything else most of the time. They do a lot of really technical music with clean guitar solos and fast, heavy drums. While some of their songs have lots of screaming (like the one I linked), the singer doesn't do a lot of screaming in most of their songs, so if you want a heavier emphasis on loud vocals, these guys might not be for you. And Sadness Will Sear is more representative of the kind of music they usually do.

Some older Slipknot may be more to your liking if you are enjoying the heavy, fast-paced styles of bands like Black Dhalia. The singer growls more than screams, but their music more than makes up for it. Most of their stuff sounds like the first one I linked, and like My Plague.

Mushroomhead is pretty similar to Slipknot (though hardcore fans of one usually hate the other because of stupid fanboi crap that I'm not into). Another good song of theirs is Kill Tomorrow. The video is kind of stupid, but the song pretty much defines their style.

Other stuff you may like, ranging from more melodic to thrashing:
Shadows Fall
Destroyer of Senses
The Light That Blinds

Sevendust
Leech
Separate

Lamb of God
Ruin
Laid to Rest

Kittie
Brackish
Spit

In Flames
Trigger
Cloud Connected

Ill Niņo
When It Cuts (ignore the stupid video, it's the best version of this song I could find)
Lifeless...Life...

From Autumn To Ashes
The After Dinner Payback
Where Do You Draw The Line

Demon Hunter
Our Faces Fall Apart
Everything Was White

Avenged Sevenfold
Unholy Confessions
Bat Country

All That Remains
Six
The Deepest Grey

36 Crazyfists
We Gave It Hell
At The End Of August (another stupid video, those are NOT the actual words he's showing, but it's the best-sounding one I could find)

Hope some of this grabs you :)

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

Like these a lot. Great recommendations!

Also Jadz, I've heard a few of the bands you've mentioned and liked most of them. Going to check out Ill Niņo next.

They're a little different, but they're good :)

I just started listening to Otep and In This Moment. Holy gently caress, these are some angry chicks. I am totally digging the girl-screaming. You might enjoy them as well, they're a lot like the stuff I posted earlier, just with chicks doing the screaming instead of dudes. Awesome stuff.

Similarly, I used to listen to Kittie when I was a teenager, but haven't really heard much of their stuff since their album Oracle. But the first couple albums rocked pretty hard, so you may like that as well. I think I'm going to look into their newer stuff myself.

In the last two weeks, I've literally doubled my winamp playlist with all kinds of awesome stuff based on recommends from this thread. Thanks guys, you rock :)

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

loving Tough Guy posted:

Okay, I need a driving playlist. I made a CD for my ~4 hour drive and just had it filled with a bunch of random tunes.

But what I want for the drive back is really long music-heavy (as in, the lyrics take a backseat to the music) songs.

The two obvious songs for me since I play way too much RB and GH are Through the Fire and Flames and Green Grass and High Tides. What are some other songs that are on the longer side with sick guitar riffs?

Well, there's always the classics like Freebird by Lynrd Skynrd and Hotel California by The Eagles.

If you like metal, you might also like To Burn the Eye (edit: this was on the Ember to Inferno album - meant to post this, not the *song* ETI), The Crusade and Falling to Grey by Trivium, Nothing Else Matters and Unforgiven by Metallica and Strength of the World by Avenged Sevenfold. Long songs, awesome instrumentals in between decent lyrics.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 13, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

camuk19 posted:

Errrr, so I know nothing about the four trillion different genres of metal, but I like a decent bit of melodic stuff, and basically anything with some sort of crazy guitar work in. A sample of the bands I listen to is Bal-Sagoth, Wintersun, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Protest The Hero, Opeth, In Flames, Mastodon etc. Other stuff not metal such as Fall of Troy, QOTSA, Interpol, Flaming Lips I enjoy to get a sense of what I think is decent. Most of those bands probably sound generic to you lot but i'd appriciate any recommendations you guys have as i'm a little lost with all these genres to pick from.

Listen to Bean_, he's got good taste :) I linked to some examples of most of that stuff a few pages back: try here, here, here and here.

Hope this helps, melodic metal's a great genre :)

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Back again with a new request. You guys have been awesome so far, so I'm pressing my luck :)

I'd like to find some stuff that's...how do I describe this...dark and atmospheric? A lot of the stuff you'd hear on the NIN album Ghosts I-IV is a good example. Examples with words in them (which I'm not entirely opposed to if it adds to the dark, haunting feeling of the music) is the beginning parts of Marylin Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams, or Otep's Invisible.

Any ideas? I'm not even sure what genre to call this, if it has one. Just dark, moody, haunting, atmospheric music. Instrumentals usually work best since a lot of people don't really have the vocals to make words blend well with it, but I'm not opposed to the music having lyrics if it works, like with Manson and Otep.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

etard knievel posted:

Without lyrics: Nurse With Wound, Tetsu Inoue, Coil, Lustmord
With lyrics: Einsturzende Neuebauten, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Skinny Puppy, Wolves in the Throne Room and Burzum if you like metal

genre would probably be 'ambient industrial' or 'dark ambient', a lot of 'goth/darkwave' and black/death metal also mix kind of soundscape songs with more musical stuff like opeth for example

Cool, I'll have a listen to those, thanks :)

EDIT: Okay, I liked Opeth, so thanks for that :) The other stuff was a little TOO atmospheric (especially Nurse and Coil) for my taste. Stuff like that would be better with some musical elements to it, like guitar, bass or piano.

It doesn't have to devolve into heavy metal, just something to break up all the atmospheric sounds...does that makes sense? For example, I watched the video for Nurse With Wound's The Bottom Feeder and liked it for the most part, but it's basically nothing but different sounds fused together. No real rhythm or beat to it. Anything more like Opeth that has some sort of "actual" music blended in? I find a lone guitar or bass, or a piano usually fill this role nicely.

EDIT:
To clarify, I want something similar to this, this, or the first 90 seconds of this. Some of the Ghosts stuff I liked like this are this, this and this. Stuff that is "actual" music, but it's very dark, haunting and atmosphearic.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 28, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Hekmat posted:

I can't be the only loving person on the planet who likes melody and harmony with my metal.

A man after my own heart :)

I know this recommend is late, so I hope you still manage to see this. From your post, I'd say you're a candidate for recommending some good Melodic Metalcore to; which makes me happy, because all my favorite bands rock this genre.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to separate the screaming from the metal (by Metal's definition, the two tend to be mutually inclusive ;) ), but there are some good tracks out there which aren't as ear-destroying as others.

For straight up good instrumentals with a minimum of screaming, you should have a listen at Trivium first. Not that the band doesn't do a ton of screaming, but they have a few really great tracks that aren't so big on heavy vocals, and focus more on instrumentals:
The Crusade is one of my favorite songs by them, and by far my favorite album. No vocals at all in this track, just eight glorious minutes of badass metal music and guitar solos.

Becoming the Dragon is another good song. The vocals are pretty similar to old Metallica - heavy, but not too scream-y. There is a short portion of the song where he does a little screaming, but it's like ten seconds long at most, then he goes into a guitar solo and back to the normal vocal style. Before you make fun of the singer for having such a heavy influence of Japanese culture in his artwork and lyrics, keep in mind that he is, in fact, Japanese-American ;)

This World Can't Tear Us Apart is another favorite of mine. Again, heavy lyrics, but no screaming. Plus, they do a little bit of melodic/harmonic singing in it.

I can recommend a lot of other stuff very similar to this if you like Trivium :)

Jadz fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 25, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Hekmat posted:

I'm totally open to more recommendations Jadz.

Carte blanche to go hog-wild with the recommends! :woop:

Glad you liked Trivium. They're one of the only bands I listen to who have the same classic metal sound as bands like Metallica and Maiden, but they do it so well.

I'll throw some random stuff out there that's in the same Melodic Metal category (hard music with actual singing). I'll try to name some of the tracks that have a minimum of screaming. We'll see what sticks, and hopefully give you some new artists to have a look at :)

My personal favorite first: Killswitch Engage
Arms of Sorrow
The End of Heartache
This is Absolution (mix of screaming and singing)

All That Remains
Two Weeks
This Calling (some screaming, mostly growling with some singing thrown in)

Avenged Sevenfold
MIA (one of my favorites by them)
Strength of the World (my favorite A7X song)

Metallica (don't take this as an insult, I have no idea how well-versed you are on metal music or whether you've heard these particular songs)
Fade to Black
Nothing Else Matters
No Leaf Clover

Atreyu
Right Side of the Bed
Ex's and Oh's
Lip Gloss and Black

Spineshank
Beginning of the End
Infected
Smothered

Demon Hunter - their stuff is heavy on the growling, but give them a chance
Infected (popular song title lol)
Not Ready to Die

I'll call this post good for now, so I don't fill this whole page up with just my stuff :) If you like any of this, and you want some more, I've got plenty where these came from.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

I, unfortunately, have a very limited amount of classical. I have some Bach, Beethoven and even then it's extremely small, because the amount of classical work by either is pretty enormous. I have other mixed stuff that was mostly bought on a complete whim, but I've never really managed to know a damned thing about classical. It's as bad as if I knew not a single rock artist but really liked the whole genre but didn't know where to start.

So, recommend me some way to start really listening to classical. Particular albums to buy, composers, arrangements, which of what era are required listening. Modern or not.

Right now I'm listening to the Corelli Trio Sonatas and enjoying it quite a bit.

Chopin (pronounced Sho-pan) has some pretty good stuff. Personally, I'm a big fan of John Williams (the guy who does the music for tons of movies, including Star Wars).

It depends on what you prefer, really. Do you like up-tempo pieces with lots of brass and percussion? Are you more of a soft strings-and-piano kind of guy? This will make a difference, because certain composers do certain styles better than others.

EDIT:
Personally, I'm a fan of large orchestral pieces. I am of the opinion that this, this and this are the best orchestral pieces ever recorded.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 4, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

Unfortunately, I rather enjoy both. I can't usually get into the more experimental sorts (I have no examples, but there certainly seems to be some classical that is more like on-key jazz than something melodic or moving), but I love solo piano, strings, harpsichord, huge brass and drum sections, pretty much everything.

I do have some John Williams, but I don't even know where to start with the few big names I know like Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Bach, Mozart, and that's all I can think of. The scope of the work of most composers I can find is completely overwhelming (and not knowing the lingo certainly doesn't help).

I know exactly what you mean :) I was a high school band geek, so I love a little bit of everything, too. Big orchestral pieces are my favorite though. Video games, movies, original pieces - it doesn't really matter to me.

Here's something you might like - this guy's setlist has some really good stuff on it. I could set this to play and just leave it running in the background for hours while I do whatever.

You might also like these pieces by Barber, Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich, Mahler, Mozart and Dvorak

And who doesn't love Beethoven's Ode to Joy and Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture? Their finales are loving EPIC.

You may also like Beethoven's Egmont Overture (love Leonard Bernstein's conducting...the man's got style).

These are the pieces I'm most fond of. I can probably come up with some more. But really, if you do a search for pretty much anything with "symphony", "concerto" or "overture" in the name, almost everything you find will be worth listening to :)

edit: Also, it makes me feel ridiculously nerdy, but I LOVE the Diva Plavalaguna scene from The Fifth Element.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 4, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

DrRimbaud posted:

I'd appreciate recommendations on more contemporary bands featuring male/female screaming in the vein of Antischism or Circle Takes the Square or Bloodlined Calligraphy. Thanks in advance!

Kittie's later albums feature tons of screaming from an all-chick band. My Ruin is also a good example of female screaming/growling vocals. Otep's album Ascension has some really good female screaming on it too. Arch Enemy features a chick who does a REALLY AWESOME growl on most of their songs.

As for bands that mix male/female screaming/growling, I know there are some out there, and a few visuals are coming to mind of videos I've seen, but for some reason I am completely drawing a blank as for names of bands or specific songs :(

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

EatinCake posted:

So, I'm discovering that searching for "Loud happy acoustic music" yields little to no results. A solo guitarist is preferred, but quirky instruments are a plus. Andrew Jackson Jihad is one that I'm really into right now, but most of the other acoustic-punk bands I've looked up (Johnny Hobo for example) I can't stand, mostly because of the singers voice.

Also I'm trying to find a good collection of foreign music. Irish, French, and African seem to me like they'd be the most interesting, but really anything cultural, acoustic, and upbeat would be good. I just can't get enough of Seu Jorge's Portuguese Bowie covers.

Their regular commercial album is nothing like what you're asking for, but The Airborne Toxic Event's Acoustic Series has a few songs you might like. The lyrics themselves tend to be less than happy in some songs (as the singer puts it, they're pretty much all about being a gently caress-up), but the music in a few songs is really up-beat and catchy. Especially in their acoustic versions.

My personal favorites:
Does This Mean You're Moving On?
Something New
Gasoline
Papillion

EDIT: Oh also, you said you were looking for some good acoustic Irish stuff (I don't know any bands that do French or African music ;) ). Give Gaelic Storm a listen. They do a lot of traditional Irish folk tunes, as well as some of their own original stuff (which is quite good). I've personally only ever listened to their first, self-titled album, and a few individual tracks from other albums, such as The Night I Punched Russell Crowe.

Hills of Connemara
Johnny Jump Up
Tell Me Ma

Jadz fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 9, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

edit: Geez I've posted a lot of stuff lately :psyduck:

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

I've been looking for more progressive rock/metal that fuses heaviness and technicality with elements of other genres, in particular softer or more melodic stuff. I realise it's kind of a vague request, but I'm not sure how specific I want to get as the bands I've heard like this already have somewhat distinct sounds.

The albums I've been listening to most recently that fit this description are the Ocean Collective's Precambrian, Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet, and Karnivool's Sound Awake. Also great are Ayreon, Pain of Salvation and Opeth (Watershed in particular, I've gone of their older stuff a bit). I've tried some others but they haven't stuck with me as much as these.

Also, I can't overstate the value of decent production values and awesome drumming. :downsrim:

You might enjoy some of Tool's stuff. Certainly not everything by them, but I can think of a few individual songs that sound similar to what you cited:
Vicarious
Schism
Aenema

Similar to this is Nine Inch Nails. Again, certainly not everything by NIN fits here, but there are some individual tracks worth listening to:
Every Day Is Exactly The Same
Wish
The Hand That Feeds

I'm a big fan of Stone Sour who do a pretty similar style to what you posted:
Inhale
Orchids
Reborn
Get Inside

They're more "mainstream" I guess, but Breaking Benjamin has some good stuff, too:
So Cold
Follow
Breakdown

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

I guess I should've specified I'm looking for less well known stuff, but I didn't want to come off like too much of a music snob. :v:

Actually you just sound like a man who knows what he wants ;) You'll probably have to wait for someone else to bring you some more suggestions, though, because pretty much all the music on my playlist of this kind is of the mainstream, well-known variety like Breaking Benjamin and Stone Sour.

I figured there was a pretty good chance you'd already heard the stuff I was suggesting but hey - you never know.

One last stab at more "pure" prog, but you've probably heard this stuff too:
Fates Warning
Heal Me (Give it a chance, it picks up)
One

Queensryche
Tribe
Promised Land

Symphony X
Set The World On Fire
Out of the Ashes

You've probably heard this before though, these bands are pretty much the most classic examples of prog metal. Unfortunately, my experience here is pretty limited, and they're about the only ones I'm familiar with since I don't listen to a great deal of progressive stuff. Most of it sounds a little too...."weird" to me, I prefer straight up metal or metalcore V:shobon:V

Hope someone else can throw some better suggestions at you :)

Jadz fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 10, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

goblinsdoexist posted:

Would like a recommendation for a male&female led band a la Low and Carissa's Wierd.

I've never heard of that band, but from what I ran into on Youtube from them, you might enjoy The Airborne Toxic Event. More male- than female-fronted, but she does backing vocals on a few of their songs, and she plays awesome viola.

You may also like Ida. I haven't heard a great deal from them, but some of their stuff is pretty similar to ATE and what I listened to of Carissa's Weird on Youtube.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT:
I'd like to find some tracks that have a similar sound to Invisible by Otep and Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson. I like the dark feel of the music with the guitar kind of all by itself, and then loud metal in the chorus to break it up.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 16, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

greginno posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation that doesn't quite fit the theme of this thread, but is very much music related. I apologize if this is too off topic.

Going to shows is one of my favorite things to do, but I seem to miss a lot of obvious dates. I came across the iConcertCal plugin for iTunes and that's helped a lot. Aside from checking individual artists' sites for tour dates, could you all recommend any similar methods of monitoring local venues for upcoming, interesting shows?

Ticketmaster works out pretty well for me. Plus, because we use them for nearly every show we go to, sometimes we get offers for like half-off which is always nice :)

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

From Earth posted:

According to Wikipedia, the distinctive vocal harmonies of The Hollies inspired a great number of other artists, but the article does not list any of these artists. I got linked to The Hollies through the article on The Posies, so that's one, but I would like to listen some more bands that use this style of vocal harmonization, preferably within the same genre as The Hollies and/or The Posies.

I don't know what you listen to, and what you've never really bothered with, so don't take this as an insult - The Beatles are probably the most well-known group to do it. Same general musical style, same era...in fact, I know some people who argue that the only reason The Hollies are not all that well-known these days is because The Beatles hit it big first.

If stuff similar to that style and era is what you're looking for, there's a veritable fuckton to sort through. In the 60's and 70's, "Liverpool" bands who all had a similar sound and vocal harmony style to bands like The Beatles and Hollies were a dime a dozen. Here's just a few that I've heard some songs from:

Gerry & The Pacemakers
The Dave Clark Five
The Lovin' Spoonfull - These guys are actually American, not British, but same style
The Grass Roots - Another American group, but again, similar style
The Byrds - One more American group

Also, you might check out Wikipedia's list of the British Invasion, as this is more or less where most of the groups who fostered the sound of The Hollies and The Beatles came from.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 19, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Aturaten posted:

I'm looking for some good orchestrated music, but do not know where to begin. Think things inline with Gustav Holst's Planets.

I posted these a while back for a similar request, but I think they'll fit here, too:

Video Game Stuff:
PLAY! Concert - Chrono Trigger/Cross
Eminence Orchestra - FFVII "One-Winged Angel"
Tour de Japan - FFVII "Aerith's Theme"
Tour de Japan - FFVII "Main Theme"
Tour de Japan - FFVII "Opening, Bombing Mission (Let's face it, this game had AWESOME music)

All Kinds of Awesomeness

John Williams (My favorite composer/conductor):
The Jurassic Park Theme (one of the best orchestral pieces ever written, in my opinion)
Duel of the Fates

Beethoven:
Ode To Joy
Egmont Overture

Barber:
Addagio for Strings
Symphony no. 2

Shostakovich:
Symphony no. 5
Symphony no. 10

Mahler:
Symphony no. 4
Symphony no. 8

Mozart:
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra no. 23

Dvorak:
Rostropovich Part 1

Tchaikovsky:
1812 Overture

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Dude I'm not into classical music but most of your recommendations are loving terrible. That poster comes in here asking for advice on listening to music that was the dominant form over a period of about five hundred years and you post final fantasy and jurassic park at him?

And no, I don't have better recommendations but seriously that post is dreadful.

I posted all of two links to modern pieces by John Williams (who is a mutliple award-winning composer, and has written some of the best-received modern orchestral pieces in the last twenty five years), and a handful of stuff from live orchestral versions of some rather good music, video games or not.

The rest of that post is as classical as it gets, and I was going to edit it later with some other good examples of classical stuff once I got home, but ok, you're right I suck at music and the only orchestral pieces worth listening to are obviously the ones that are a hundred years old because nobody in modern times knows how to write moving pieces, amirite? :rolleyes:

If you didn't know those pieces were from movies and video games, you would have nothing to say about those recommendations, because without that context, they're simply fantastic pieces of modern orchestral music. Sure, the fact that they were written specifically for a game or movie makes them seem a little more nerdy, but that doesn't stop them from being some of the best award-winning examples to date. But what do music critics know, I guess all those people who hail John Williams and Nobuo Uematsu as some of the best composers of our time just don't know terrible loving music when they hear it.

How about instead of simply coming in here and (rather vehemently) criticizing my couple of recommendations for modern orchestral pieces, you make a couple of recommendations of your own, if you think mine are so loving terrible, because clearly you are much better-versed on modern orchestral music than I am.

EDIT: I don't think it was out-of-line for me to post examples of modern orchestral music along with the classical stuff, since his own example, Gustav Holst, has only been dead for 70 years. His suite The Planets is a fine piece of modern music, and a lot of composers these days draw from his influences (including -GASP- John Williams, both of whom conducted the London Symphony Orchestra).

Jadz fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 22, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

7 y.o. bitch posted:

You sincerely called the "Theme to Jurassic Park" one of the greatest orchestral pieces ever. A sentimental, boring, mid-tempo piece that's primary function was introducing an audience to a CGI brontosaurus. Nevermind the fact that since Wagner, music whose primary mode is simple major key melodies are so far behind any type of innovation or originally that they have no place being called "good" to begin with. To believe that the "Theme to Jurassic Park" is so great calls into question your taste.

Apparently it calls into question the tastes of millions of people as well, since John Williams was not only inducted into the American Classical Music Hall of Fame, but has been presented with 21 Grammies, 4 Golden Globes, 3 Emmies and more nominations than you can shake a stick at.

You don't like his diatonic, melodic style. Fine, just say that. But don't try to pretend that he's some hack and anyone who enjoys his style is obviously a musical retard, because the man has commanded the modern orchestral scene for 60 years, and is one of the single most respected and recognized composers ever.

But again, if I obviously suck so bad at modern orchestral recommendations, please post some of your own recommendations and let's stop making GBS threads up this thread with "your recommendations suck".

edit: And by the way, Wagner wrote chromatic pieces primarily for operas, not diatonic orchestral symphonies (which is what he asked for, based on The Planets).

vvvvvvv You'll never hear me say she isn't a talented musician - I simply don't like her style :)

Jadz fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 22, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

HatchetDown posted:

Also songs that begin acoustic or classical and break into something hard such as:

Grace by Lamb of God
Fade to Black by Metallica
The Regulator by Clutch
Stone the Crow by Down

I don't have my laptop at work with me today, so I can't load up my playlist to look at all the stuff I have like this, but here's a handful off the top of my head that I can think of. Some fit better than others, but they're all good:

Shadows Fall - The Light That Blinds
Metallica - No Leaf Clover
Leech - Sevendust
Killswitch Engage - My Curse
Devildriver - I Could Care Less
Mudvayne - World So Cold
Slipknot - Duality
Otep - Invisible
Otep - Ghostflowers
In This Moment - Beautiful Tragedy
Chimaira - Down Again The album version features a much longer piano intro and guitar buildup

EDIT: Avenged Sevenfold have a couple of really good songs like this:
MIA
Strength of the World

Jadz fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 6, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

I'm looking for a bit of instrumental metal music. The best example I've got (and one of my favorites) is The Crusade by Trivium. Eight minutes of really great guitar riffs and drumwork. It sounds very technical to me, and the chords all have an easy-to-follow structure and melody - like this song could have some awesome lyrics to go with it, but it doesn't need them, because it's just that badass :smug:

I've heard some other stuff from friends, but frankly a lot of it is just too chaotic. They sound like they're trying to prove how cool they are by playing random guitar notes as fast as possible with a literal wall of sound coming from the drums, and you can't make out anything intelligible.

Sounds a little spergy, I guess, but I like good metal music that I can understand, not just madness set to music.

Anyone know of anything worth listening to?

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

fozzie dunlop posted:

Check out Pelican.

Listening to some of their stuff on Youtube now. Awesome! Thanks, would definitely be interested in more bands/music like this :)

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Eight Is Legend posted:

Scale the Summit might be up your alley, too: http://grooveshark.com/s/The+Great+Plains/2gAnp9?src=5

Both of these bands are amazing. Thanks guys :D

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

kloa posted:

Animals as Leaders would probably suit you.
I appreciate the recommendation, but they seemed a little more blues-ey or pop-ey than I'd like. I'm looking for something a little heavier :shobon: EDIT: Even some of the Scale the Summit stuff is a little too...light, now that I'm getting a little deeper into their albums. A lot of it is really good, though.

AAL might be a bit on the technical side, based on what he's said.

Some instrumental stuff that comes to mind - Russian Circles, Talons, Cloudkicker (you can stream the lot at that link, and most of it's free to download). They're not all metal "strictly speaking," but they're heavy enough.

This stuff is great. I especially like Russian Circles' sound. Thanks :) EDIT: Cloudkicker is extremely awesome too. I love the guitar work on Beacons.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 25, 2011

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

eithedog posted:

You might like some of the post metal out there: Isis, Mouth of the Architect, Year of No Light, Tides from Nebula, Kollwitz, Waters Deep Here.

Some of that is pretty drat epic. I'll add 'em to my general metal playlist, thanks :D

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

ZakAce posted:

Hi, I've got another request.

I'm interested in listening to heavy metal bands with female singers. I've listened to some Arch Enemy and Lacuna Coil, and I'm interested in bands with a similar sound to either of those two groups. I'm not interested in overly poppy or not very good stuff like Evanescence, Nightwish or Kittie, thanks.

kloa posted:

In This Moment
I absolutely second this. ITM is fantastic.

Also, you might like Lullacry, Within Temptation, Straight Line Stitch, Walls of Jericho (who had one of their albums produced by Corey Taylor of Slipknot/Stonesour, if that makes a difference to you) and possibly some of Otep (see below).

The first two are far more similar to Lacuna Coil. WOJ are...a little unique, I can't really think of another band to compare them to. Stonesour with a chick singing? Anyway, they did a pretty kickass cover of House of the Rising Sun. SLS is much more like Arch Enemy or In This Moment, lots of awesome chick-screaming and growling. Otep is a little more like Arch Enemy, too, with lots of angry screaming and heavy music, but she also has a lot of wierd tracks that I just don't care for. You'll have to pick through her stuff to find the great (Ghost Flowers, Confrontation) amongst the not-so-great (T.R.I.C.), but she's worth having a look at.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 31, 2011

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Ace Jameson posted:

Try Pelican, Russian Circles, and Red Sparowes. They're all instrumental bands with varying degrees of metal sound (Pelican most, Red Sparowes least, but all three are great). Killswitch Engage actually has pretty good vocals, as does Lamb of God and All That Remains. And don't forget Dio :v:

You might even try a band like Strung Out, which is technically punk but lately has developed more of a metal sound (with Exile/Blackhawks/Agents) to go with solid vocals.

I was going to post almost exactly this. Pelican, Russian Circles, Cloudkicker and Scale the Summit were all recommended to me in this very thread, and they all have some great instrumental stuff. Some of it better than others, but you're bound to find something you like in there.

Killswitch Engage is an excellent suggestion, and they're one of my favorite metal bands. Adam D. is one of my favorite guitarists, and he makes a hilarious princess.

I also cannot recommend All That Remains enough. Phil has a great voice and is an expert at transitioning between growling/screaming and melody. The song I linked has one of my favorite drummers in metal (though Shannon Lucas left after that album and now drums for The Black Dahlia Murder who I'm not as fond of) and Oli Herbert is a fantastic guitarist.

Lamb of God is also a great suggestion. They're not as melodic as KSE or ATR, but still really good. Love the guitar work and drums in this song especially.

I also want to recommend a little Trivium to you. Matt Heafy was really young when he got his break with Roadrunner Lifeforce Records they didn't sign with RR until the second album :doh: (you can see just how young he was in that video) but he's a great vocalist, and an absolutely BADASS guitarist. Their sound has matured a lot over their last few albums and some of their songs harken back to a more classical metal sound like mid-career Metallica and Megadeath, and they even have some pretty kickass instrumentals. Also, don't get turned off by them if you do some searching and think they're a bunch of kekesuperkawaiifanbois when you find a bunch Japanese-style art; Matt Kiichi Heafy is Japanese-American :)

You may also like In Flames, From Autumn to Ashes and a band I only discovered last year, Acrassicauda an awesome metal band from Iraq who take most of their influences from bands like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Slipknot (so they claim - I don't hear it in their music). I picked up their debut "album" (it's only like three songs) "Only The Dead See The End of The War" and haven't regretted it. Fully intend to keep watching them.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 19, 2011

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

anaaki posted:

Two requests:

1) I like bands like The Rocket Summer, Relient K, Fun, The Morning Light, Steel Train.... bands that write and play their own music, but are more towards the pop side of rock music. I DON'T like the nasaly emo voice or processed voices. Just fun rock pop music. Someone has suggested Mumford and Sons but aside from "Little Lion Man" they seem a little mellow.

There are only a couple of bands I listen to that I think fall far more under the "pop" side of rock than anything else I listen to (I'm normally a metal guy myself, but sometimes I like a change :shobon: ), but I really like them, and to my knowledge, they're not exactly huge and mainstream (well, maybe the one is), so maybe you haven't listened to them yet. Then again, maybe the fact that these aren't normally my kind of music means I just don't know how popular they are or aren't, so if they're really popular and you know all about them, just ignore me :)

First, The Airborne Toxic Event which I discovered through a friend and have met twice. They're awesome guys, and they play some fun stuff; they also play a lot of heartfelt music that has genuine meaning to them. I really love the way they incorporate strings into a lot of their music, too.

The other, which is probably much more well-known, is Neon Trees. If you can ignore the singer's dumb haircut, they have some good, fun pop-y music.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Haven't been in this thread in a long while, so I'll come in and see if anyone has some new recommends for me :)

I love Rise Against. I've always had a thing for their sound which, to me, sounds like a hybrid between punk and metal. It doesn't really sound like what I usually hear when I listen to other "actual" punk bands, but it certainly isn't full-on metal, either. I'm also a huge fan of the lyrics that Tim McIlrath writes - meaningful, thought-provoking songs often centered around human rights and social inequality set to awesome guitar rifts and badass drum-work.

Thing is, it's difficult to find other punk bands I like as much. A lot of them have the awesome human-rights angle with good lyrics, but crappy music or a singer whose voice sounds terrible; or awesome musical talent with dumb lyrics that stray too far from the idea of "let's stop being douches and treat each-other better" and too far into "gently caress the police", like Rage Against the Machine does. And don't get me wrong, I like some of Rage's stuff, but a lot of it is just far too anti-establishment for me.

So, does anyone know of any decent bands (doesn't have to be punk, but I prefer "heavier" music) with a great, upbeat sound who do music in the same vein as Rise Against?

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Have you tried A Day To Remember? Specifically their albums "For Those Who Have Heart" and "Homesick". They're a pop-punk meets metal band, and write incredibly catchy songs.

Killsion posted:

You likely won't enjoy this but maybe Raised Fist? It'll be much more hardcore than what you may be used to it, but I feel they fit what you seem to be describing in terms of hardcore punk with some metallic bits to their sound while being a bit upbeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2sYeqF4urM

A Day to Remember was more like what I was looking for (although with the heavy growling it's still not quite there). Both of these bands, however, are AWESOME, and I will be picking their stuff up and adding them to my library. Thanks guys :)

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Eight Is Legend posted:

Check out Close Your Eyes, the record by Silverstein I mentioned to the guy I quoted earlier in this post, Counterparts, In Her Own Words, Heart in Hand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z293tG4-488), Architects (I think you will really like this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHHJF2cUwyY) and maybe Alexisonfire?

Close Your Eyes and Alexisonfire are exactly what I was looking for. Awesome metal/punk sound with great lyrics and clean vocals. I guess maybe I should've been a littler more specific - I do love metal/metalcore with screaming and growling vocals, but in this particular style of music, I prefer cleaner vocals (especially with the harmonies these guys do, similar to Rise Against) *punctuated by* screaming/growling, rather than having that dominate a whole song. More like these guys would be fantastic! Thanks a lot for this stuff :)

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Can anyone recommend artists who do cool electronic and/or bass-heavy tunes without any singing - or, at the very least, where they keep the vocals simple, and to a minimum? For example, I like Orbital's Halcyon+On+On and Prodigy's Funky poo poo, but I don't like most of Skrillex's stuff. I tend to load the albums The Massacre by FantomenK and Caps On Hats Off by Bossfight into a playlist and run that for a while, but I'd like some suggestions that are less 8-bit (not that I'm averse to some more suggestions in the same vein as FantomenK or Bossfight).

I like this type of music for background - when I'm doing homework, or just sitting reading the forums or playing a game or something - and vocals tend to distract me and take away from the music. I just want some cool beats that I can add to a Spotify playlist and leave it running on shuffle/repeat, and not get distracted by it.

Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

LionYeti posted:

Pretty Lights seems to be right up your street. Funky Electronica heavy on bass vocals are minimal on most tracks, has the ability to be background music when you want it to be but you can go to a live show and catch all the musical detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9xrkguKZU

This is pretty good, thanks!

I've also been enjoying some of The Glitch Mob, as recommended to me by a friend. More of this would be fantastic! I wouldn't mind some more stuff that has really heavy bass beats, a la Prodigy, as well.