Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I'd like to get some loungy, semi-upbeat jazz, maybe with a 70's kinda feel to it. The kind that makes you feel good, but in a pretty relaxed kinda way. I wish I could add more but I'm not really sure how to describe it. Oh, no vocals, or at least minimal vocals.

Now that I think about it, the album End of the World Party by Medeski Martin & Wood is in the right vein although it's probably a bit more upbeat and non-traditional/odd than I'm thinking.

Elder fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

MooglyGuy posted:

Have you tried Fourplay yet?

Never heard of them, but I'll check it out. Thanks!

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I've been listening to the soundtrack to The Fountain a lot lately and I'm looking for other music that evokes the same emotional response. It doesn't have to be similar stylistically, but anything that is haunting, sorrowful, delicate, lonely.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

the posted:

Get other soundtracks by Mansell. Also check out soundtracks by John Murphy, who did this.

EDIT: Also try to check out Biosphere, Steve Roach, or Chuck Wild. Check out http://bluemars.org, specifically the "Cryosleep" station.

Thanks, I will check these out. I do have Mansell's other soundtracks, but they're not quite the same, except for a couple tracks from Requiem.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

What's a good place to start with Bluegrass?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Farts Domino posted:

I'd file myself under "just started" but you'd might as well just start where it started and check some Bill Monroe

Garbage Day posted:

Like Farts Domino says, Bill Monroe is where it all starts. Del McCoury is another good traditional artist to explore. If you're a fan of punk and/or rockabilly, you might look into some of the revved-up "thrash-grass" groups like Split Lip Rayfield.

Sounds great, thanks guys.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Where should I start with The Kinks? I'm not familiar with them at all and their discography is huge! I'd prefer to stay away from compilations though.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

ShutteredIn posted:

These 6 Kinks albums from '66 to '71 are amazing and picking up any of them would be a good idea:

Awesome, thanks.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I'm looking for three particular styles of music which I know absolutely nothing about -

The first one I would describe as stripped down, dark Spanish guitar with vocals. I was waiting for a train and there was an older man playing guitar and singing, and it was awesome. I recorded a clip on my phone (which I can post here but the quality is terrible) and asked a friend of mine if she knew the song. She thought it was Leonardo Favio, but when I looked him up I found that his stuff was orchestrated with strings and drums and multiple vocalists, and so even though the song might be the same it just didn't have the same mood.

The second is Iranian/Persian music, but I'm not really looking for the traditional stuff or the dance/Bollywood style stuff. I overheard some bits and pieces of the Rumi Symphony Project at work last night and I really liked, but there's not too much information on the internet. That site has a few songs but I don't know where they're from because there doesn't seem to be an album of this stuff anywhere. Also those songs aren't quite the same as the ones I heard last night. The music is described as "a blend of Middle Eastern musical structures and the sounds and textures of Western orchestration" which is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Basically traditional Iranian instruments (especially the awesome percussion stuff) in a modern western setting.

The third style might be linked to the Iranian stuff, but I'm looking for some music that you generally hear in movies when someone is lost and dying the the desert. It's very simple music consisting of an endless drone and a single female vocalist singing in a very sorrowful manner. She will hold out long notes - no words, I don't think) punctuated by little flips and modulations. I know that's a terrible description but I'm not really sure how to describe it any better. I wish I had an example of this.

Anyway, any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

i am not so sure posted:

You'd probably like Dead Can Dance. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but there's plenty of the type of stuff you're describing in their sound.

They did this in Baraka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCvNtAwWxXg

Lisa Gerrard, one of their vocalists, has one of the most gorgeous voices I've ever heard. She does a lot of soundtrack work (for example, the songs in Gladiator are her). Here's one of her songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHwS5VZxg2c&feature=related

That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I have heard that song a few times before as well, and always wondered who it was. Thanks!

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

bipolarbear posted:

Qawwali was the first thing I thought of. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is a good guy to check out in that genre. It's not very close and hits more of the trad angle you were trying to avoid, but at least it's a place to start. Please post if you find more especially regarding the Rumi Symphony Project. I am LOVING that stuff.

Awesome, I will check out Qawwali, thanks. I'm not really opposed to the traditional stuff in fact I am pretty interested in checking it out, but I figured a modern take would be more accessible. Will def update if I find anything more out about RSP.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm looking for some good nautical/ocean themed albums to listen to. I don't really want any gimmicky stuff like Alestorm, but metal is fine.

Check out Alchemy Index Vol.II - Water by Thrice, it's by far my favorite ocean themed album.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm looking for some good nautical/ocean themed albums to listen to. I don't really want any gimmicky stuff like Alestorm, but metal is fine.

Not sure if it's the style you're looking for but check out Oceanic by Vangelis. It's sort of synthy electronic soundtrack music, but it's very good.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Actually I'm finding what I need on Google...

Elder fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 15, 2010

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Free Broken Glass! posted:

I need some dark and evil jazz. I just downloaded the Midnight Crew album from MS Paint Adventures and I want something else in that vein.

Wow, thanks for this, buying now.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I would like some music that a person could not possibly be unhappy while listening to.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Zedlic posted:

I only have one song, but Mr. Blue Sky with Electric Light Orchestra is the happiest song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjPqsDU0j2I

That is quite a happy song, thank you.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Thanks guys! Those are indeed some happy tunes.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

blue squares posted:

I'm in a stage in my life right now where I feel really lost in what I want to do. I'm confused as to who I am and where my life is going. I'd like to listen to something that I can identify with in regards to these feelings. Sorry if I'm being vague, I'm not sure how to put what I'm feeling into words.

When I'm feeling like that Fever Ray really does the trick for me.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Moeru posted:

As far as I know that's the only trailer with any sort of music in it at all for the movie but the last section of music is what I looking for more of.

I think this is the video you're looking for...it's got some glitchy stuff at the end.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

kapalama posted:

Interesting picture for them on Wikipedia for 'jazz collective' though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_(Norwegian_band)

that's awesome...i thought they were wearing gas masks or something at first, until I looked at a bigger version

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

slowdave posted:

Some early new age synth wizardry/kosmische recommendations in the vein of Klaus Schulze, Wendy Carlos and Laurie Spiegel would be cool.

Check out Vangelis, the Blade Runner soundtrack is great and I'm a big fan of Oceanic as well. Also you might like Beyond the Mind's Eye by Jan Hammer.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Sounds like you might like Huoratron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee0TWQVZQjw

Elder fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 17, 2010

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

The Consultant posted:

NIN's Ghosts I-IV. This is amazing. Was my go-to album to play in the background to make my house seem less empty when nobody was around. Now I've actually gotten into it and I'm starting to really love some of the compositions on the album. What are some albums like this, instrumental with a variety of different types of instrumentation, compositions and textures?

Ghosts is quickly becoming one of my favorite NIN albums, it's so atmospheric and unusual. It's hard to find anything similar, but you might try The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - self titled album is a great place to start. It's got all the wonderful dark textures and atmospheres, and a good deal of the instrumental variations.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I really like the vibraphone, but I don't have any music that features it. Any suggestions? I like a little of pretty much every genre, but I'm not looking for solo vibraphone stuff (unless it's mindblowingly awesome or something!), thanks.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Ras Het posted:

Eric Dolphy's, Bobby Hutcherson

JehovahsWetness posted:

Billy Wooten, Monty Stark

plogo posted:

Roy Ayers

Rollersnake posted:

Pierre Moerlen's Gong, Frank Zappa

Thanks guys, these look great, I'll check them out!

The Consultant posted:

This is pretty cool. I think you would enjoy the Silent Hill 2 soundtrack. It's got similar variety and attention to atmosphere/texture. Great production value as well. It doesn't really matter if you've played Silent Hill or not, Akira Yamaoka is a genius.

I loved that game and the music, I'll have to try to find the soundtrack. I actually have an Akira Yamaoka album but it's not at all like his soundtrack material, and I don't really like it very much. Definitely gonna check out his soundtracks though.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I'm looking for metal music that has qualities that are normally found in trance music. I'm not so much looking for actual trance elements, like melodic synth lines and downbeat kick drums, but more the emotional response that trance music tends to incite - the dream-like, time stretching, never ending mood. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Sun Is Tangging posted:

Sleep

baberaham lincoln posted:

Bongripper, Nadja, SunnO))), Angelic Process, Earth, The Body, etc.

the Bunt posted:

Cynic
Rolo Tomassi
HORSE the Band

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Isis

Thanks guys for these suggestions, I'm slowly working my way through them and I'll let you know what I think. I agree though that the description was pretty vague, truth be told I'm not quite sure exactly what it is I'm looking for or if it even exists! But this will help.