Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Alf DVDs
Dec 2, 2004

*SLurpz*
I have a new love for Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation but I haven't been able to get into any other Sonic Youth albums (although i havent tried extremely hard). Ive never really been into indie. Can someone point me in the right direction? (can be SY, can be something else entirely)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Alf DVDs
Dec 2, 2004

*SLurpz*
I need punkish stuff (I guess you call it post-punk but that just sounds dumb), a la Fugazi. Something with good guitar work but an definite edge and punkish vibe to it.

Some Alf DVDs
Dec 2, 2004

*SLurpz*

kingcobweb posted:

This would be easier if you posted the other bands you liked as well to avoid the obvious ones :) the genre that you're looking for is post-hardcore by the way.

The obvious ones: Rites of Spring, Dinosaur Jr, The Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Nation of Ulysses, Flipper, Royal Trux, maybe some riot grrl stuff like Bratmobile, Bikini Kill, etc etc etc

Thanks man. I listened to a lot of these bands this past week. My take:
-Rites of Spring- awesome
-Dinosaur Jr- sounds like generic college alt rock, but maybe i just chose a bad album (Farm)
-The Jesus Lizard- awesome
-Nation of Ulysses- decent
-Flipper- decent

As far as riot grrl, I've listened to Sleater-Kinney, which I've heard classified as riot grrl, and hated it. The vocals and lyrics are just tremendously bad, the guitar work is cool though. Maybe I'm a horrible mysogenist but I've never heard a good punk girl singer.

Some Alf DVDs
Dec 2, 2004

*SLurpz*

kingcobweb posted:

This would be easier if you posted the other bands you liked as well to avoid the obvious ones :) the genre that you're looking for is post-hardcore by the way.

The obvious ones: Rites of Spring, Dinosaur Jr, The Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Nation of Ulysses, Flipper, Royal Trux, maybe some riot grrl stuff like Bratmobile, Bikini Kill, etc etc etc

Pussybreathshotgun posted:

I could probably recommend a couple of dozens of post hardcore/noise rock bands but these spring to mind right now:

Unsane. Living legends of the noise rock scene. Visqueen is my favourite album of theirs but their earlier stuff is more 'punkish'.
Cuttroaths 9. An unheralded band featuring two thirds of Unsane. They sound a lot like Unsane, but that's not a bad thing.
Hammerhead. Really good stuff from Amphetamine Reptile Records.
Halo of Flies. Yet another great Amrep band.
Refused, perhaps the finest band from Sweden. The Shape of Punk to Come is one of my favorite albums ever.
Deep Turtle, awesome weirdness from Finland.
And last but not least :nms:Cows:nms:, this video includes some gruesome monochromatic autopsy photos but the song is an absolute killer.

Thanks a ton, both of you. Awesome stuff. Flipper has really grown on me since my last post, too.

Some Alf DVDs
Dec 2, 2004

*SLurpz*

Wild Cantaloupe posted:

Hi, I have a metal request.

I'm still pretty new to metal so I'd like to expand my horizons a bit. I listen to pretty cannon Stoner/Doom/Post Metal (Neurosis, Melvins, Electric Wizard, Kyuss, Boris, Earth, Cult of Luna, etc.) as well as some of the popular metal acts(Mastodon, Opeth (i find some of their stuff kind of goofy but i quite like Blackwater Park)). I recently listened to Wolves in the Throne Room's "Two Hunters" and absolutely loved it. I would love recommendations for stuff like WitTR or just suggestions of other bands to expand my knowledge of metal because beyond those few areas (and even in them) it is really lacking.

Any help would be great.

Have you tried any of Dax Riggs's projects such as Acid Bath, Deadboy and the Elephantmen, or solo? Also Down (NOLA is great), and High on Fire (although i'm not a big fan, others are).

As far as other metal goes, a couple must-have albums are Death- The Sound of Perseverance and At the Gates- Slaughter of the Soul. Definitely more on the "extreme" side, but I still listen to them from time to time even though I don't listen to metal much anymore.

Some Alf DVDs fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 7, 2009