Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey
Looking for any bands in the vein of In the Woods...

Or really any good American black metal that's different, or similar to Wolves in the Throne Room.

Also, any Kraut Rock that isnt Neu!, Faust, Can, Kraftwerk, Amon Duul II, Harmonia, Ash Ra Tempel.

And quality postpunk (I like Joy Division, Killing Joke, Magazine, PiL, Birthday Party, TG, etc etc), and bands that are like Flipper???? Not necessarily in sound, but aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Gang of Four and A Certain Ratio are good dance-focused post-punk; kind of like Public Image or Killing Joke, but more funky. Entertainment! is usually considered as central to post-punk as any of Joy Division's albums.

Echo & the Bunnymen are fantastic, though they're a touch lighter than the bands you named. For some reason it seems like they're mostly ignored by after-the-fact post-punk fans (e.g. hipster teenagers like myself), even though they're one of the more successful post-punk outfits. Probably because it's hard to take any band called "the Bunnymen" seriously. :wotwot:

Also, early Devo. :whip: Their first two albums and the Hardcore Devos are delightful Krautrock-influenced post-punk outings, and would probably be right up your alley.

I am very well aware of Gang of Four, and Devo are probably one of my favorite bands ever, and I have pretty much everything they've ever done (including bootlegged demos), but I've never heard any Certain Ratio or much Echo outside of KIlling Moon and Lips like Sugar. I'll give 'em both a chance. Thanks!

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey
Doom metal? Really any kind. Sludge, doom/death, classic doom, stoner metal whatever.

I like:

Sleep
Kyuss
Pentagram
St. Vitus
The Hidden Hand
Anathema
Morgion
Sunn O)))
Eyehategod
Cathedral
Torche
Boris
Candlemass
Mare
Isis
Cult of Luna
Baroness
Neurosis

Also, some good punk along the lines of Amebix or Discharge. Crust-punk I guess you'd call it? Or something that sounsd like new Darkthrone (the more punk-influenced stuff)

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey

Kivex posted:

I'm looking for music similar to Explosions In The Sky
So far I've found mogwai, and appleseed cast. Anything else?

I'm also looking for stoner metal, such as Kyuss. Anything more modern/psycadelic?

I'm not huge on hiphop, but I love Gang Starr [particularly above the clouds]
Anything similar to that? I really like hiphop with deep insightful lyrics and rhythms that use obscure instruments or take on foreign themes (eg above the clouds having a japanese styled backdrop)

Cheers

Not to sort of double post, but if you want some good psychedelic stoner rock, try Earthless. They might be hard to follow since their songs are 20+ minutes long. They put one hell of a show and the bass player owns a kick rear end record store in San Diego.

And if you like Mogwai try Tortoise or Mono. Especially Mono.

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey

Way Past Cool! posted:

Seems like you hit most of the big names, but left out Wichfinder General, Melvins, Earth, Acid Bath, Om, Witchcraft, Witch etc. but rather than just listing bands, I suggest you check out the Stoner/Sludge/Doom Megathread.

Oh poo poo I did not notice that thread! Thanks for the link!

Also Melvins loving rule and everyone should listen to them.

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey
I am interested in crust punk. I am familiar with Amebix, and have a couple albums by Discharge. I just got an album by GiSM, Anti-Cimex and Skitsystem. Anyone know about this stuff? This poo poo is amazing. Also if there's any good like punk/crust/black metal crossovers like new Darkthrone. Thanks.

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey
I like Current 93, and I'm starting to get into Death in June. Are there any bands like them that are as good? I'm not a real big fan of the neo-medieval aspects of neofolk, but like the dark aspect of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey
I've heard a few Sol Invictus songs, mainly "Kneel to the Cross" (because of the Agalloch cover), and quite liked them. Any good albums by them? Hell, how about Death in June? I only have Rose Clouds of Holocaust and But What Ends When The Symbols Shatter.

I'll check out their other bands. The kind of dark folk they make intrigues me. Its very lush and mysterious sounding.