Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I'm looking for some Middle Eastern music, similar to Elder's post but a bit more encompassing. I'm pretty much in the dark, but I like what I've heard from Ananda Shankar. I'm also a fan of The Budos Band, which isn't exactly Middle Eastern but something similar that could widen the recommendations.

After skimming the thread, I may check out Yeasayer and Secret Chiefs 3 but that's not exactly what I'm searching for...

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005

Saint Rockhopper posted:

Two requests:

1. Female rappers. I've listened to a few songs with female rappers (some by P.O.S. for instance) and thought they were great. For reference, my favorite rappers in general are Blackalicious, Nas, and Tupac.

I would definitely recommend Jean Grae. Her album Jeanious came out in 2008 and its been one of my favorite hip hop albums since.

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005

_Leviathan_ posted:

I'm looking for some funk recommendations. I'm a big fan of:

Kool and The Gang
Tower Of Power
Sly and the Family Stone
James Brown
Galactic
Parliament
The Meters

I'm looking for more of that kind of funk music. Thanks.

One Nation Under A Groove by Funkadelic is probably a funkier option. Don't get me wrong though, Maggot Brain is my favorite song ever.

Check out Doin' Something by Soulive and Rage! by Lettuce for some more recent funk. Also, it isn't exactly funk, but do yourself a favor and check out The Budos Band.

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005

TheBoogeyMan posted:

Does anyone know some good songs that feature both male and female vocals? I am not particular about the genre.

Hmm...check out Mates of State.

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005

dudemanbudguy posted:

I'd really like to find a band that is as dance-y and catchy as Passion Pit. Falsetto vocals aren't necessary, but some kind of. . . electronica pop?

Check out Miike Snow and World's Greatest Ghosts.

Famicom Bunko fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 4, 2011