Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
"I like bands such as The White Stripes, Eagles of Death Metal, The Raconteurs..."

These bands, and others like them, are the most popular ones in the recent garage rock revival. This is part of an ongoing rediscovery of sixties bands such as The Sonics that played aggressive, stripped-down versions of what they were hearing from British Invasion music (but a hell of a lot better). The Gun Club, especially their album Fire of Love, was an early 80s band that combined garage rock, punk, blues, and country to make a unique, fantastic sound that has been cited as hugely influential by people such as Jack White.

There's probably hundreds if not thousands of fantastic modern garage rock bands, but here's a few: The Mummies, Thee Headcoats, Thee Oh Sees, Cheap Time (and anything released by In the Red Records), Carbonas (and almost anything released by Douchemaster Records).

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Van or Astrovan posted:

I'm looking for loud, noisy psych-rock that isn't too noodle-y or prog-y. Two examples that I really like are Comets on Fire and the Crystal Antlers EP.

How about The Black Angels? They're a bit slower than Crystal Antlers but are in a similar vein.

Edit: okay I'm giving Comets On Fire a listen and I think The Black Angels are way more mellow than what you're looking for, so nevermind, sorry!

Edit edit: how about A Place to Bury Strangers?

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 17, 2009

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

dgt posted:

I am very well aware of Gang of Four, and Devo are probably one of my favorite bands ever, and I have pretty much everything they've ever done (including bootlegged demos), but I've never heard any Certain Ratio or much Echo outside of KIlling Moon and Lips like Sugar. I'll give 'em both a chance. Thanks!

Also try Josef K, they seem to be your sort of thing if you like Magazine.

If you can get into the funkier side of post-punk, try: The Au Pairs, Delta 5, The Slits, Bush Tetras, Liquid Liquid and The Pop Group.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

cheeseboy posted:

I've recently grown to like what I can only describe as drone-ish punk rock. Bands like No-Age or Boris are kind of what I'm talking about. I'm not really interested anything too metal or heavy though. Anyone have any recommendations for stuff like that?

The term you're looking for, I believe, is noise rock. Obvious suggestions would be Sonic Youth (EVOL, Sister and Daydream Nation), Dinosaur Jr, and The Jesus Lizard. As far as newer stuff, Titus Andronicus and Vivian Girls.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Harvest Goon posted:

You have "SUPER" compatibility with me, so lemme tell ya: you need some Unwound. Repetition has sort of a Cave-In/Blonde Redhead feel to it, and it's a great album to start with, but Leaves Turn Inside You is their double-disc magnum opus. Much more "progressive" and majestic in many ways. You will not be disappointed, I know because we have the same ears :)

Rites of Spring and Nation of Ulysses as well.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

RomaVictor posted:

What is some good non-vocal jazz that DOESN'T sound like elevator music? Anybody?

What are you trying to ask here? I don't really get it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I have been listening to a lot of the pixies, joe strummer, the mountain goats, and old jimmy eat world. I'm looking for something pop-punky and sing-along-able, but a little edgy too

The Thermals (poppy garage rock), Bratmobile (riot grrrl), Cheap Time (straight-up garage), Hot IQs (power pop).

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Been getting into noise rock recently, and so far have really enjoyed the following bands:

Big Black
Shellac
Arab on Radar
Lightning Bolt
Fugazi
Les Savy Fav
The Jesus Lizard
Boredoms
Mclusky

Any other essential noise rock bands out there that I may be overlooking?

Cows, Royal Trux, Rapeman, STNNNG, Young Widows, Witch Hats. Those last three aren't "essential" but they were recommended by someone else on the forums, and I love them.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Twisted Aristocrat posted:

In reply to this and everyone else who has a problem with what he asked:

You can actually just not want to hear about something in a music record without necessarily disagreeing with it.

More specifically though, the topic of race in hip hop isn't really covered by labelling it descriptive of "black plight". A lot of the stuff 'conscious' rappers like mos def put out is pretentious conspiracy theory nonsense. Then there's the often overtly (or more often implicit) racist, anti white agenda. I don't really blame someone for not wanting to listen to it.

What is this "racist, anti white agenda" you're talking about?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Twisted Aristocrat posted:

Like calling people cracker, for instance.

How is that racist? It's a term for the race that has been oppressing them for hundreds of years.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Femur posted:

This is not really a recommendation request but could anyone help me identify a song. I don't know the name or can't give you a sample, but I think it might be well known:

I usually hear it when a story about "medieval" time is about to happen, like opening to a medieval story, or just a parody of medieval time. It's basically string instruments only- and maybe a flute? I can't think of the last specific time I've heard it, but I know it was on an episode of Animaniacs.

I had the song once many years ago, but lost it, for some reason, leaf and golden comes to mine as the title, but can't find anything.

This?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Wild Cantaloupe posted:

Another question I have is: what other groups sound like hosed Up? I really like the mix of lots of layers of guitars with the intensity of it and whatnot.
Well, they're post-hardcore with some shoegaze elements, so I'd check out canon post-hardcore/"underground" bands like Dinosaur Jr, and maybe noise-rock like The Jesus Lizard.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Wild Cantaloupe posted:

Thanks Way Past Cool, I'll check those out.

I listen to Dinosaur Jr., at least what I think are some of the other canon underground/hardcore/post-hardcore bands (although I'm never really sure how to categorize them) like Sonic Youth / Husker Du / Sebadoh / Minutemen.

I really love the Jesus Lizard, and the only other think like it that I listen to is Big Black, which I only have Songs About loving from.

Maybe what I'm looking for is intense shoegazing? My only exposure to shoegazing is really My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive.

Thanks for all the help

I just got their album yesterday, but I think that Cherubs - Heroin Man is exactly what you're looking for. Though I've seen a lot of people hate on them, A Place To Bury Strangers seems right up your alley, too. Halfway between MBV and noise rock. And I think that WPC may have actually meant to link to page 14 in this thread (there was discussion of noise rock there).

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

augustaugustaugust posted:

I'm looking for a new obsession. I need music that gives me a concept or good lyrics to think about while I'm enjoying the music, I like a bent sense of humor, I like it loud, I like texture and odd instrumentality, I like pop music that is pushing beyond the bounds of pop music. The following bands have filled this role for me at one time or another:

-Godspeed You! Black Emperor
-The loving Champs
-Jethro Tull
-Pink Floyd
-Mr. Bungle
-Tom Waits
-The Artists Forever Known as the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu
-The Pogues

The Frogs, Nick Cave, Butthole Surfers, Gang Gang Dance.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

BigEast55 posted:

Im looking for some stuff to "bump" too in my car... some good hip-hop/rap. I really like me some Kanye and the hillarious lyrics of Lil' Wayne and I've been digging Q-Tip lately and certainly like N.E.R.D. as well, anything with a nice beat and some solid lyrics (even if they are awful enough to be hillarious) would be appreciated.

I believe you're looking for Spank Rock. They have a good LP, and one of their songs is titled "shake it til my dick turns racist."

yeah

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Without Pants posted:

I've been listening to Drillnbasss/breakcore/drumnbass for a few years now, and I'd like to branch out...

I'll have to be pretty vague but here goes--

I've tried a couple of radiohead albums and they didn't do anything for me. I love the abrasive, fast, aggressive aspect of Nine Inch Nails, but I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics (or any lyrics, for that matter).

I guess I'm looking for similar bands that don't go too much into the screaming angry-at-nothing bit. Any ideas?

It might not be intense enough for a breakcore head, but have you tried The Bug?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRdyUqNpMcU

Yes I am recommending a song called "angry" to someone not looking for something angry at everything :haw:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm in Austin now and every damned band in the world comes through here during the year. I'm looking for fun, upbeat bands that play with a ton of energy and have an indie rock bent- think Matt and Kim. Thanks so much guys.

Okay, usually I would list a lot of indie/pop/garage/rock bands, but since you live in Austin, I'm going to recommend you just go to a show every night of the week. It should be pretty hard to avoid finding the kind of music you're looking for.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
If you like Someone Great but not other LCD Soundsystem songs, maybe what you're looking for is New Order.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Muffin Loaf posted:

A couple of separate taste-expanding questions:

-I keep hearing about Can. Where (ie with which albums or big songs) should I start?

-I really like Echo and the Bunnymen, what are some other must-hear bands with that sound?

Can: Tago Mago is the most-discussed album, but Ege Bamyasi is the most accessible (and still amazingly good), so I'd start with that. After those two, Future Days, then the rest.

Echo and the Bunnymen are somewhere on the poppier/synthier side of post-punk. I'd check out Josef K, Killing Joke, and although they don't sound much like Echo, The Jesus and Mary Chain just because of the scene from High Fidelity where the guy goes in asking for Echo and the Bunnymen.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Seaniqua posted:

For the last couple months I've been listening to Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians when I study - I think it's really beautiful but repetitive enough that I sort of zone it out if I'm doing something else - which makes it great for homework.

I'd love to expand this playlist a bit - sometimes I'll go to Pandora and just listen to a Steve Reich radio station, but I often end up with something good, but not what I'm looking for. I can't listen to Reich's Clapping Music while studying, or some random saxophone screeches by Xenakis.

Any suggestions? I've found a few things by Philip Glass that work pretty well, but there's also a lot of stuff by Glass that doesn't work at all for this.

Maybe minimal house, like The Field?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

RollingBoBo posted:

Something similar to the arctic monkeys?

The Fall took me a really long time to get into, but they're probably the band that most directly inspired Arctic Monkeys.

mack posted:

Completely love every song in Velvet Underground & Nico album, anything that sounds mostly like it?

No.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

DarkSun6890 posted:

I'm really into Santigolds song Creator. Anything that combines like her harsh lyrics and sick beats is where I'm at right now. I think it's called dubstep, right? Someone more knowledgeable on the subject let me know.

That's not dubstep, no. You should check out the other stuff Switch has produced, he just collaborated with Diplo on a project called Major Lazer.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rat Salad posted:

Are you looking specifically for 77 punk or what? Like I guess you just want a starting point, but you maybe can't imagine how much there is to learn about. Here's some accessible older stuff that'll give you a bit of an idea of the range of poo poo out there, but really you just gotta do your own research.

The Weirdos
Circle Jerks
Negative Approach
Side By Side
DRI
Dag Nasty
Discharge

I don't really think he's looking for straight-ahead punk if he didn't like Nevermind but loves London Calling.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

A Violence Gang posted:

I'd also like some recommendations along the lines of stuff I was suggesting -- stuff with a heavy punk influence but integrating that into something a more diverse than traditional punk. More... melodic maybe? Gun Club and Gang of Four were all I could think of along those lines, so if anybody's got some suggestions like that, that would be awesome. But I never really got into much of the stuff described as "post-punk" or anything with much New Wave influence so that might rule out a lot of bands that kinda meet this criteria.

Well, there's a lot of different kinds of post punk. I would recommend The Au Pairs to start; they basically sound like a feminist Gang of Four. Then on to: The Slits, Liquid Liquid, Josef K, X, The Pop Group, Public Image Ltd. There's also many good genres that split off from punk that could sorta-kinda be classified as post punk. Check out Rites of Spring (post-hardcore) and Royal Trux (noise rock).

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

scrubasaurusrex posted:

You might want to give Flying Lotus - Los Angeles a try. Nice glitchy instrumental hip-hop.

No, that's much too pleasant for what he's looking for. He's basically describing the genre of breakcore; I don't know that much about it, but I do like the Kid606 album Kill Sound Before Sound Kills You.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Turkeybone posted:

I liked the silversun pickups song in rockband, and then I heard one song on the radio I liked.. I guess I'll go around youtube and itunes and such to find some stuff, but what are some songs/albums that fans would recommend over others?

Dude, they have two albums. Are you that worried about choosing the wrong one?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bean_ posted:

Looking to get into some "house" music. I downloaded "World's Greatest Electro House" from amazon for $3, and have fallen in love.

Anyone got anything that would go well with this?
http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Greatest-Electro-House/dp/samples/B000NDJSX4/ref=dp_tracks_all_3#disc_3 Money in the Bag or Consequences....are probably two of my favorites in the 3.5+ hour mix.

Well, this style of house has eight million blogs about it, so it's pretty easy to get into. Just get mixes from discobelle, disco dust, and the Mad Decent podcasts.

There's other kinds of house other than this, though. Watch the documentary "Pump Up the Volume," it's on google video.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Also, The Feelies.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

kalensc posted:

OK, so this may a bit too vague, but I'll try my best to give an idea of what I'm looking for. I'm far from a music aficionado, so I may be using faulty terms to describe this stuff.

I've been trying to find some good "haunting" tracks; a piece that can kinda overwhelm you under the right listening circumstances (ex: as you fall asleep).

And I don't necessarily mean depressing in style, just... those tracks that, when there are no other sounds around, seem 10x the song you had previously thought they were.

I guess the common trait I notice is that they're usually centered around piano/organ/string instruments, or completely orchestrated. Figured I may as well link a bunch of tracks I already have that evoke this sentiment:

Burkhard Dallwitz & Philip Glass - Father Kolbe's Preaching
Final Fantasy - Better Than Worse
Michael Giacchino - Parting Words
Bear McCreary - Gaeta's Lament
Moby - My Weakness
Koh Ohtani - Sunlit Earth
Radiohead - Videotape
Sigur Rós - Starálfur
Hans Zimmer - Leave No Man Behind

So yeah, I'll listen to anything that's recommended, regardless of genre or artist. Thanks!

Leonard Cohen's album Songs of Love and Hate.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

I am trying to find some Francophone music that is nice and kind of mellow. An example would be Carla Bruni maybe mixed with the Amelie soundtrack. Thats a bad description, but essentially something light, maybe some accordion, and a nice smooth voice or voices singing in French. I tried using lastFM to find similar artists but the results returned were all anglophone.

My purpose is two fold: Firstly, I want some nice background music that I can write papers to without distracting me because I can't understand the language. Second, I will be taking up French soon and it would be nice to have something that, when I am ready, I can start to pick out words from in a language I will be learning. Anyone have some artists I should be on the look out for?

Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

Thanks for the two French recommendations, I checked them both out and they are pretty close to what I am looking for.

Oh boy oh boy wait until you can understand the lyrics :)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ashenai posted:

Help me NMD, I'm really tired of having the musical tastes of a 16-year-old girl.

Here's the lowdown: I listen to lots of retarded poo poo. Bubblegum dance, loving Katy Perry, Within Temptation/Krypteria, Loreena McKennitt, uh... okay, get this, I like to listen to Caramelldansen. Caramelldansen! I mean, jesus christ. ATC. Djumbo. Smile.dk. Groove Coverage. Lots of dance music from the 80s. Alphaville. Mike Oldfield (the mindless pop stuff, Poison Arrows and Man in the Rain, not the cool unenjoyable stuff like Amarok.)

I don't think I'm completely hopeless, though. I accidentally discovered Human Resources by The Countdown (okay, it was in the FPS Prey), and I really liked it. I'd like to get into more music that I'm not embarrassed to admit to.

What I need is a "gateway drug" that can get me into "good music." I realize the term is snobbish and meaningless, but I don't care. I wanna buy and enjoy albums that don't have anime girls and/or peaceful woodland scenes on the cover. :(

I realize this is a pretty weird request, but there you have it. I'd like to see myself as a person with discerning tastes in music, and let's face it, Poker Face from Lady Gaga isn't gonna do this for me. I need something that's melodic and that I can easily get into, but that I can follow to find more meaningful and challenging music.

Am I making sense at all? Please help me, before I start listening to Gummibär on repeat again :smith:

Since you liked that Calvin Harris track, you might like some synthy stuff. One of my favorites is New Order. Here's a more guitar-based song of theirs, and here's their most famous song, the best-selling 12" single of all time.

There's nothing wrong with 80s dance-pop. The Human League are fantastic, and you've probably heard this song on a Swiffer ad or whatever.

Aside from that, here's a few shots in the dark, like Threatis did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd9nKsKC7Ow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlQY3Gmalxo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFuujExs03A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9x6zckn18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tK1xw8AzA

There's a 75% chance that the band you're looking for is The Smiths, though.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Cyril Sneer posted:

Man, this is a wicked song. Thanks dude.

Yeah, this is one of my all-time favorites. It's actually "stand on the word," though, not "stand on the world." If you like it you should check out other Larry Levan mixes and just early disco in general :)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Cyril Sneer posted:

Oh, I have. I don't care for most of it though - the song you posted sounds very different than typical disco sound.

If you have more, I'd love to hear it.

Well, it depends what you mean by "typical disco sound." It definitely is fairly unique in that it's one of those things that's not what we think of as falling neatly into the "disco" category along with Gloria Gaynor or whatever, but the songs that got played in Paradise Garage were a lot more varied. I'd recommend the Fabriclive 36 mix, which is fantastic disco, and the "Disco Not Disco" series of compilations. An example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48xdD_ITwLY

I realize that I said "early disco" and that really isn't accurate; a lot of this great poo poo was made after the general public was over it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Some Alf DVDs posted:

I need punkish stuff (I guess you call it post-punk but that just sounds dumb), a la Fugazi. Something with good guitar work but an definite edge and punkish vibe to it.

This would be easier if you posted the other bands you liked as well to avoid the obvious ones :) the genre that you're looking for is post-hardcore by the way.

The obvious ones: Rites of Spring, Dinosaur Jr, The Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Nation of Ulysses, Flipper, Royal Trux, maybe some riot grrl stuff like Bratmobile, Bikini Kill, etc etc etc

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rex the Jones posted:

I can delve into the "required listening and classics" of hip hop on my own, but who should I be listening to that is actually making good and innovative hip hop in 2009?

I haven't heard his 09 album, but Black Milk had three (three!) fantastic albums last year. Very innovative beats.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Way Past Cool! posted:

Don't feel too bad about it, kingcobweb is kind of biased toward female artists. (not saying that's a bad thing, just an observation)

Most people are biased towards male artists so a step towards equality seems like inequality to people raised under a patriarchal society :colbert:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Pussybreathshotgun posted:

I could probably recommend a couple of dozens of post hardcore/noise rock bands but these spring to mind right now:

Unsane. Living legends of the noise rock scene. Visqueen is my favourite album of theirs but their earlier stuff is more 'punkish'.
Cuttroaths 9. An unheralded band featuring two thirds of Unsane. They sound a lot like Unsane, but that's not a bad thing.
Hammerhead. Really good stuff from Amphetamine Reptile Records.
Halo of Flies. Yet another great Amrep band.
Refused, perhaps the finest band from Sweden. The Shape of Punk to Come is one of my favorite albums ever.
Deep Turtle, awesome weirdness from Finland.
And last but not least :nms:Cows:nms:, this video includes some gruesome monochromatic autopsy photos but the song is an absolute killer.
These are some great bands, but a lot of them are more, well, AmRep than what I think he's looking for. As far as noise rock, Mclusky is probably closer.

In fact, I think I'll just start recommending Mclusky to every single person.

Edit: actually he liked Jesus Lizard so your recommendations are good ones! Nevermind!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bonk posted:

I don't know if you'd put them in the same genre (math rock maybe?), but I've been listening to a lot of indie rock with weird experimental guitar work like Mew, Deerhunter, and Battles.

What else has the same feel? (I already know about Hella)

Marnie Stern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Or, going in a different direction, maybe "a couple dudes in a room" lo-fi indie rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBLwDURkRPI