Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Recommend me ridiculously happy electronic bubblegum-ish stuff, please. As in Toy-Box, Smile.dk, ATC, KaW. Anything with a strong beat and an upbeat tune. If there's anything in the genre with lyrics that aren't insanely retarded, that would be awesome, although I've just about given up hope on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

The Consultant posted:

you mentioned Smile.dk and KaW in the same sentence, so I'm just gonna assume you're into the music game 'scene'

I'm not, I found Smile.dk in some sort of electronica compilation, and Last.fm showed me KaW. I didn;t know the two had music games in common. Sounds like maybe I should check it out, though. I do quite like your linked videos, though (except the second one, Christ my ears.) Thanks! :)

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Help me NMD, I'm really tired of having the musical tastes of a 16-year-old girl.

Here's the lowdown: I listen to lots of retarded poo poo. Bubblegum dance, loving Katy Perry, Within Temptation/Krypteria, Loreena McKennitt, uh... okay, get this, I like to listen to Caramelldansen. Caramelldansen! I mean, jesus christ. ATC. Djumbo. Smile.dk. Groove Coverage. Lots of dance music from the 80s. Alphaville. Mike Oldfield (the mindless pop stuff, Poison Arrows and Man in the Rain, not the cool unenjoyable stuff like Amarok.)

I don't think I'm completely hopeless, though. I accidentally discovered Human Resources by The Countdown (okay, it was in the FPS Prey), and I really liked it. I'd like to get into more music that I'm not embarrassed to admit to.

What I need is a "gateway drug" that can get me into "good music." I realize the term is snobbish and meaningless, but I don't care. I wanna buy and enjoy albums that don't have anime girls and/or peaceful woodland scenes on the cover. :(

I realize this is a pretty weird request, but there you have it. I'd like to see myself as a person with discerning tastes in music, and let's face it, Poker Face from Lady Gaga isn't gonna do this for me. I need something that's melodic and that I can easily get into, but that I can follow to find more meaningful and challenging music.

Am I making sense at all? Please help me, before I start listening to Gummibär on repeat again :smith:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Threatis posted:

well, thank god i got on this before it was an endless string of LISTEN TO OPETH or YAY FRANK ZAPPA posts.

here are 4 different songs. Tell me which 2 are more interesting to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZVqNnqEDO8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGwonG3iGaI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clY2RAgXpM0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUbuVokKc8

once you do that, i can give you a few recommendation on stuff you may like. Think of it as a choose your own adventure.

Okay, listened to all four of them two or three times.

1) Starts out really interesting, reminded me of the Cranberries or something. I like the Cranberries. Then it's like the singer says "I know exactly what an enjoyable melody is like, but gently caress YOU I'm going to go horribly flat in the middle of every second bar instead."

The instrumental parts were quite good, though. Just the singer annoyed me. PICK A drat KEY, STICK WITH IT.

I actually liked this song a lot more on the second listen, so it might be something that grows on me (I've had songs like that.) It still kind of sounds like they took a really good song and then wrecked it, though.

2) This style of music is completely uninteresting to me.

3) I really enjoyed this one. Awesome beat, great synth instruments, powerful melody that sticks in my head. 0:45-1:13 I definitely recognized, those exact two bars were in a popular song that I also liked, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Incidentally 0:01-0:45 feels like a completely different song, which is also pretty good.

4) I was quite close to liking this, but it would be a million times better if the singer didn't strain (yell) quite so much. I realize this is actually really mild, I've heard songs with "real" yelling, but this, this and this is what men singing should sound like. You're not my real dad, stop yelling at me. :(

In short: I enjoyed Calvin Harris the most, by a mile. The second one is not interesting to me at all. Cat Power and Hot Water Music were both interesting. Maybe Cat Power a little bit more.

Thanks for your (hopefully continued) help, this is pretty cool :)