Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I've really been digging Lou Reed - Live: Take No Prisoners lately. Is there something out there that is like that but more coherent? It's a great album musically but Lou was out of his loving mind that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Threatis posted:

I hate to break it to you, but lou has been out of his mind every night since about 1965

I figured. I just thought that Take No Prisoners was extra crazy considering the way fans talk about it.

But it doesn't have to be just Lou Reed. Anybody that has that sound would be great.

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Have you listened to Berlin live at St. Ann's Warehouse? It's lovely.

I only have three of his albums so far (Transformer, Berlin and Live: Take No Prisoners) and was thinking about importing Berlin on Blu-Ray from the UK. I'll definitely check it out though, thanks

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jadz posted:

Back again with a new request. You guys have been awesome so far, so I'm pressing my luck :)

I'd like to find some stuff that's...how do I describe this...dark and atmospheric? A lot of the stuff you'd hear on the NIN album Ghosts I-IV is a good example. Examples with words in them (which I'm not entirely opposed to if it adds to the dark, haunting feeling of the music) is the beginning parts of Marylin Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams, or Otep's Invisible.

Any ideas? I'm not even sure what genre to call this, if it has one. Just dark, moody, haunting, atmospheric music. Instrumentals usually work best since a lot of people don't really have the vocals to make words blend well with it, but I'm not opposed to the music having lyrics if it works, like with Manson and Otep.

It's a little off from what you are asking for but try Kashiwa Daisuke - 5 Dec.

There is some really atmospheric stuff mixed with orchestral glitch/breakcore and guitars on some tracks.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tyorik posted:

I'm having a hard time finding bands like Disturbed.

I like the moderately heavy theme, with intelligible lyrics with even some funk-like riffs thrown in on occasion, while staying upbeat.

I suppose it's rock/metal or somesuch.

Edit: Also, I'm a complete NMD moron. Please forgive me. :cheers:

Try The American Tragedy. I saw them in a tiny dive a few years ago and they really impressed me.

Welcome To The Show = http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-to-the-Show-Explicit/dp/B0010X3OSQ
No Formula (live album) = http://www.amazon.com/No-Formula/dp/B0014DOW6U

The singer kind of sounds like the guy from Disturbed.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

OMGWTFWALLHACK posted:

Please recommend me some songs to put on a mix cd entitled "how to deal."

The rules are the songs must be 90s style gangster rap about selling, making, or transporting drugs. Songs that are actually instructions such as Notorious B.I.G. "10 Crack commandments" or Master P "Ghetto D" are preferred, but songs that are questionably related and still amusing such as Cypress Hill "Tequila Sunrise" or "Dr. Greenthumb" might be used as filler if I can't find enough.

Afroman's Basehead Boogie or Paranoid would probably fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwp5dxCRa1o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpiY21w0CgE

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Stim posted:

I've been listening to Telefon Tel Aviv - Immolate Yourself. It's really grown on me to become one of my favourite albums and it is so different to their others. Problem is I'm really finding it hard to find stuff similar to it. It's been bugging me for months. Closest I can find is some stuff by Junior Boys. I've heard a few people say it's similar to Depeche Mode but it really isn't.

Here are a few tracks:
The Birds - this would probably be the best example of what I'm looking for.
Helen of Troy
You Are the Worst Thing in the World
Immolate Yourself

Try Ulrich Schnauss - Goodbye

Specifically Here Today, Gone Tomorrow & A Song About Hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lONpqHqBo2Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109mtHUhF1Y

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 23, 2009

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Schurik posted:

I'm looking for some melodic wall-of-sound stuff, to block out some unwanted poo poo in my head. I like and and have had good experiences with Radiohead (i.e. Everything in it's right place), some stuff by Moby, the one or other NIN song, stuff like that. As long as I can blare it over headphones, it maintains this wall of sound while stying melodic, it helps. Any suggestion is appreciated, no matter how outlandish.

HEALTH (We Are Water is pure sex) and Holy gently caress should fit the bill.

I'd also suggest modwheelmood and blindoldfreak. They are both projects of Alessandro Cortini (former keyboardist for Nine Inch Nails), modwheelmood is more of a traditional band setup and blindoldfreak is just him and his Buchla. They are all pretty cheap on Amazon MP3 (Pearls To Pigs is only $8.99 for 37 songs and blindoldfreak is $6)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Can somebody suggest something that is along the same lines as the soundtrack to Synecdoche, New York by Jon Brion?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

RettroShocka posted:

Rage Against The Machine.

Anything else with their message and funky beats/riffs?

Street Sweeper Social Club?

It's Tom Morello and a rapper, Boots Riley. Their live show is much better than the album but the album isn't horrible.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looking for more bands/albums in the vein of Gumball - Super Tasty/Revolution On Ice and Tripping Daisy - Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb.

I guess that would be Alternative that is a little more out there than normal?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm looking for more (I guess it's called) grimey dubsteb like Vaski and the song from the trailer for A Serbian Movie.

Ominousness, overbearing synths(?) are key.