Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Still, to further expand my music tastes, maybe someone could suggest other things. I'm no good at defining music, so all I can say is I want horn music (Jazz, Bebop, Swing, Ska, whatever), and I like up-tempo, though that's not mandatory. Also, twangy surfer music can be cool too (Pulp Fiction Soundtrack, or Honest Bob and the Factory To Dealer Incentives are all I know, sadly). Other than that, maybe a list of the artists in my playlist will express where I'm trying to go. It's ordered from most songs to least.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Squirrel Nut Zippers
Modest Mouse (You can probably ignore this one; had no idea it was this high.)
Flogging Molly (Don't recommend Dropkick :argh:)
Madness
Steroid Maximus (J.G. Thirwell)
Reel Big Fish
The Specials
Sublime
Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Pulp Fiction Soundtrack
Blues Traveler
Cherry Poppin' Daddies
Cat Empire

I also have a few compilation albums of old music (Glenn Miller Orchestra sort of old), but I haven't picked my way through them to get what I want yet. Any old suggestions are also welcome.

I know it isn't "cool" in NMD, but I'm a big fan of swing (especially the late '90s revival), ska (I even played sax in a ska-punk band in the late '90s), surf, and rockabilly. I like several of the bands you listed, and hopefully you'll like some of these:

Royal Crown Revue (my favorite of the late '90s swing bands; start with the album Mugzy's Move)

Brian Setzer Orchestra (modern-day big band with the amazing rockabilly singer/guitarist who used to front the Stray Cats; start with their second album Guitar Slinger if you can, but the first four albums are all golden)

Dick Dale (the ultimate surf guitarist -- you rocked out to his song "Miserlou" in Pulp Fiction)

Less Than Jake (poppy ska-punk, which you'll love if you like Reel Big Fish; try the albums Losing Streak, Hello Rockview, and the older Pezcore)

The Pietasters (maybe my favorite modern ska band; they have a three-CD set that collects their first four albums. Some songs are repeated with live versions, demos, etc, but you really can't go wrong. I think you'll love them.)

Bitter:Sweet (very sultry retro-lounge music with lush arrangements, fun dance grooves, and a girl singer with one of the sexiest voices around)

Morphine (gloomy mellow rock with a deep-voiced lead singer who played 2-string bass (RIP Mark Sandman), backed up by a magnificent baritone sax player)

Portishead (they're often described as "trip-hop," but their mournful, sexy vocals and judicious use of jazz and spy movie soundtrack samples make them timeless and awesome -- you like Steroid Maximus, so I implore you to try their first two albums, Dummy and Portishead)

New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble (if you can find their self-titled album, GET IT!)

Lavay Smith and Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers (girl-fronted jump blues and swing)

Skavoovie and the Epitones (one of the larger '90s ska bands that avoided a lot of the punk stuff in favor of more swingin' arrangements; get the album Fat Footin'.)

Hepcat (modern ska, but much more jazzy/traditional than the ska-punk stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Diligent Deadite posted:

I'm hoping someone can recommend me some more bands with a 'Desert Noir' kind of sound. What I'm looking for is alternative rock/country with cinematic sensibilities. Think Ennio Morricone or Robert Rodriguez. The following bands do what I'm looking for really well:

Calexico:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lRAsyWnW8dY
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dasTl7zsUoE&feature=PlayList&p=53411A8B11D2EC8E&playnext=1&index=19

Firewater:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Yr7O9bPcc
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d52mb9xeGwI

If I can imagine a gut-shot private-eye driving a convertible through the desert with $500, 000 in stole cash in a motel pillowcase in the backseat to it, I want to hear it.

Great choices! Try the instrumental group Friends of Dean Martinez (who include some Calexico members): http://www.myspace.com/friendsofdeanmartinez

Also Mike Ness, the frontman of Social Distortion, whose solo stuff is a lot more like rootsy honky tonk country/punk/Americana with a dark edge. His album "Cheating At Solitaire" is one of my favorites, and should be right up your alley with songs like "Misery Loves Company" and "The Devil In Miss Jones": http://www.myspace.com/mikeness

I'd also have to recommend at least one album by alt-country goddess Neko Case, "Blacklisted," which is the most noir-sounding of all her albums: http://www.amazon.com/Blacklisted/dp/B000X6XGZW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1233332515&sr=8-2

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Diligent Deadite posted:

Jesus, you guys really recommended some good stuff. I thank you, but my bank balance is going to hate your guts.

What are you going to get?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Noise Machine posted:

Can anyone recommend me a compilation or a starting point for dub artists? Been wanting to get into dub for a long time but never knew where to start.

Augustus Pablo is one of the kings of dub. Any sort of "Greatest Hits" compilation from him would be a good start.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Coupon Wizard posted:

I'm after some music to chill out to, pretty much. Smooth music. Stuff you'd listen to if you were white, 45 and owned a swimming pool.

Some tracks I've been digging lately are:

Michael Jackson - Human Nature
Steely Dan - Almost Gothic
Steely Dan - Hey Nineteen
Walter Becker - Downtown Canon
The Doobie Brothers - What A Fool Believes
Electric Six - Lucifer Airlines

I think you really need to watch these, in order, starting with #1:
http://www.channel101.com/shows/show.php?show_id=152

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

swampland posted:

Hi, seeking sprawling, disturbing, disjointed albums. The kind that will keep you up at night and half stop your heart.

Along the lines of, say: The Drift by Scott Walker, From Her to Eternity by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Locust Abortion Technician by the Butthole Surfers.

Basically as if I were a submissive and sought a master album to completely overwhelm and debase me.

Maybe Bone Machine by my favorite artist, Tom Waits?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Consultant posted:

I've been listening to all sorts of loungy/downtempo/jazz/chillout stuff, everything running the gamut of The Cinematic Orchestra, Thievery Corporation, and long time favorite Bark Psychosis, to more bossa-nova-esque pop stuff like Nouvelle Vague. Now, I love the poo poo out of this genre and have quite a lot of it, but as of late I'm in a bit of a 'electronic mixed with live instrument oriented music sounds like rear end' phase (sup Zero 7, Bonobo, etc), if anyone could recommend me some more live instrument oriented stuff in the genre that would be AMAZING. to be overtly more specific I'm a huge fan of the classy sounding bit at the end of Radiohead - Optimistic that carries into In Limbo.

I'm not sure if you'd like Bitter:Sweet or think they sound like rear end, but I'd definitely describe them as loungey and jazzy. They're not as downtempo as something like Thievery Corporation or Portishead, but they definitely have that smoky, sexy, retro vibe.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

miss Santa posted:

I love Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds and Tom Waits, what else could I like?

Try folk singer William Elliott Whitmore, alt-country goddess Neko Case (specifically her album Blacklisted), and legendary Irish traditional/punk band The Pogues (specifically their album Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash). All very different from each other (and from Cave and Waits), but they are all brilliant lyricists and storytellers, and there is a streak of darkness permeating all their music.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Cock Inspector, if you like Primus, Mr. Bungle, and Ween, try Man Man and Steroid Maximus. And if you like Tenacious D for the comedy mixed with music, give The Lonely Island a shot. I think they are much funnier than the D, with catchier songs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
All great choices, but I'd add the Volcanos, a '90s surf band who put out two amazing albums on Estrus Records, Surf Quake and Finish Line Fever. They were fan-loving-tastic, but the albums are out of print and tend to be pricy and rare, and there is almost no information about the band online.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Spermando posted:

Also, can anyone recommend artists similar to Foetus/Steroid Maximus? The ones Last.fm suggests are mostly industrial, but I'm looking for something more pop-ish, sample-heavy, and with a sense of humor.

I love Steroid Maximus and J.G. Thirlwell's Venture Bros. soundtrack, so I'll recommend Secret Society, a new "steampunk" big band led by composer Darcy James Argue. More straight-ahead jazz than Thirlwell's stuff, it doesn't have his sense of irony and humor, but it still evokes that soundtrack feeling, and might appeal to you just the same.
https://www.newamsterdamrecords.com/#Album/Infernal_Machines
http://secretsociety.typepad.com/darcy_james_argues_secret/secret-society-live-audio.html

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

winvirus posted:

Can anyone recommend some good pianists with strong vocals? Or just anything that has a great piano tune and good singing too.

You can't go wrong with Ben Folds, probably the most talented pianist in rock/pop music. I like the Ben Folds Five albums best (self-titled, Whatever and Ever, Amen, and The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner), but his first solo album Rocking the Suburbs is great too. After he got married and had a few kids and then got divorced, his later solo stuff has some great moments, but the albums as a whole don't capture my attention as much.

Oh, if you've only heard his late '90s single "Brick" and don't like it, his stuff is a LOT better than that, so don't worry. See if you can listen to "Army," or the songs "Free Coffee" and "Effington" off his newest album, Way To Normal.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Atomic Dog posted:

Recently heard Tom Waits' first album Closing Time and I absolutely love the track Closing Time. It's a slow jazz instrumental, with a muted trumpet carrying the lead with piano, double bass and drums. Nuts about that muted trumpet sound.

Can anyone recommend me something quite similar? it's a pretty cinematic song, sounds like it could be in the soundtrack to a film noir. Really like the Taxi Driver soundtrack so an ost along those lines would be great too.

You'll absolutely love the score music to a '90s neo-noir film called Romeo Is Bleeding, starring Gary Oldman and Lena Olin. The soundtrack is by Mark Isham, and the title track is nothing but muted trumpet -- the perfect noir accompaniment. It feels very influenced by Bernard Hermann's Taxi Driver score.

That movie, Romeo Is Bleeding, is actually named after a Tom Waits song, and you might like his (completely unrelated) song too. Waits' gravelly voice is not for everyone, but it sounds like more film noir music with a sad, mournful saxophone, and Waits doing his beat poetry schtick over it. '70s-era Waits was great for that "down and out under a streetlight" jazzy feeling. "Small Change," "Burma Shave," and the more upbeat "Jockey Full of Bourbon" are some more Waits tracks worth checking out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I get bogged down by all the electronic music subgenres, but this website is amazing for identifying them all, showing the connections between them, and providing samples of the various styles:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love Marc Ribot's guitar work on Tom Waits' albums. What is his best "introductory level" solo album, if there is one? I'm not a big fan of noisy free jazz, but I'm up for almost anything else.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Elentor posted:

Can someone recommend good Trip-Hop/Electronic Jazz bands like Bitter:Sweet, Lovage and Portishead?

I'm looking for something with a female singer, and with all that pompous elegant theme. Bitter:Sweet is my favorite band right now and I'm afraid I've already heard too much of their only two albums.
You named three of my favorites. I love them, and Bitter:Sweet has been one of my greatest musical discoveries of the last few years. Shana Halligan, Jennifer Charles, and Beth Gibbons have some of the sexiest voices ever!

Have you tried Imogen Heap yet? She has two solo albums with a third one on the way, but the second one, Speak For Yourself, is much better than the first. Imogen has another fantastic album, Details, released under the band name Frou Frou. Her stuff is much more electronic-sounding than Portishead's genre-defining trip-hop and Bitter:Sweet's retro lounge sound, but you still might like it.

Also, definitely try Goldfrapp. The best Goldfrapp albums for capturing the lush, sexy sound we like are the first and fourth, Felt Mountain and Seventh Tree. Their second and third albums are much more like pulsing dance pop that belongs in a strip club.

More random songs to sample:
Massive Attack - "Teardrop"
Sneaker Pimps - "6 Underground"
Zero 7 - "In the Waiting Line"
Shivaree - "Goodnight Moon"
Psapp - "Cosy in the Rocket"

And as weird as it might sound, Scarlett Johansson's 2008 album of Tom Waits covers, Anywhere I Lay My Head, is more or less in this style as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Elentor posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I took a look at the recommendations.

Shivaree - Holy poo poo amazing.

Please tell me if you delve deeper into Shivaree's stuff. I only know that one song from the Kill Bill Volume 2 soundtrack. I love it, but I'd be very curious if their albums have a similar sound to them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pious Pete posted:

Anyone know any good unconventional banjo stuff? I'm all over Le Loup, Sufjan Stevens, and Bela Fleck already. What else is out there?

I'm also in the market for acoustic stuff similar to The Mountain Goats and Andrew Jackson Jihad. Any suggestions?

Awesome music with banjo = William Elliott Whitmore.

Similar to Andrew Jackson Jihad = This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is kind of a weird request, but every so often driving to and from college I spend about an hour in range of this radio station that seems to play nothing but bluegrass songs about murdering cheating wives or dying of black lung, and I loving love it. Can anyone recommend some really metal bluegrass?

edit: to clarify, though I'd love to hear some actual bluegrass metal, I'm looking for bluegrass that's more grim/dark, and not the real perky stuff. Bonus points if the vocals don't have that weird nasal thing going on.

I think you'll like the country-blues-folk-noir sound of one of my favorite recently-discovered artists, William Elliott Whitmore. Just check out his site for some song samples and background information: http://www.williamelliottwhitmore.com/index.php

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

OrganicRobot posted:

Does anyone know any bands that use a lot a carnival music influences? I know it's a weird request, but for some reason I really like the sound.

In addition to the others mentioned by etard knievel, try Mr. Bungle. A few songs on their California album (regrettably the only one I know) make me think of creepy carnival atmosphere.

Also a few Tom Waits songs -- "Misery Is the River of the World," "Coney Island Baby," "Calliope," and several other tracks off his dark, anachronistic-sounding Blood Money. Also "Singapore" and "Rain Dogs" off Rain Dogs, the spooky spoken word piece "Circus" off Real Gone, "Shore Leave" off Swordfishtrombones, and the instrumental "Carnival" off The Black Rider.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

WayneCampbell posted:

I'm looking for depressing folk music. Like Town van zandt and that song "Waiting round to die" or Ralph stanely's "man of constant sorrow".

Try anything by William Elliott Whitmore ("Dig My Grave" would be a good place to start), or almost any recent Tom Waits (especially the 3-disc Orphans box set).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

ante posted:

I'm looking for individual songs or artists that have the same kind of grungy feel as Tom Waits's Goin' Out West or forum user mofolotopo's excellent cross-genre cover of Get My Rocks Off. If anyone has suggestions, I will gladly repay you with sexual favours.

Have you ever heard "Red Right Hand" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? Typically people who like Waits also like Cave, and the two songs have similar feels.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I'm also going to suggest some Zappa: Joe's Garage ("Crew Slut," "Stick It Out," "Keep it Greasy"), Sheik Yerbouti ("Wild Love," "City of Tiny Lites," "Tryin to Grow a Chin"), Over-Nite Sensation (the whole drat thing), Apostrope ("Yellow Snow" suite) and maybe One Size Fits All.

I haven't heard One Size Fits All, but you just named four of my favorite Zappa albums of all time. I also like Studio Tan for the cartoonish psychedelia of "The Adventures of Greggory Peccary" and "Lemme Take You To the Beach" and Cruisin' With Ruben and the Jets for Zappa's semi-ironic homage to the doo-wop he loved so much.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Killy posted:

For a request... Lately I've been in the mood for some really chill downtempo lounge music.. Kinda like world music with unique instruments or trip hop loungy groove music... I have NO idea how to explain what I'm looking for... Kinda a cross between Putumayo like musical style and stuff like Thievery Corporation

I just discovered Koop, who are very laid-back and loungey, but they're probably jazzier than what you're looking for. They remind me of Bitter:Sweet, who are also loungey and sexy, but I wouldn't consider either "world music." Try the Koop song "Koop Island Blues" for a good example of their style, complete with breathy, longing trip-hoppy vocals and some exotic instruments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCFU5l6-j2k

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vannaroth posted:

Can any recommend me some artists along the lines of Tom Waits and Nick Cave? I'm mainly after stuff resembling Waits' spooky, experimental kind of style but any recommendations in this general area at all would be appreciated.

Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica is definitely spooky and experimental. Weirder and less "musical" than Waits, but you might enjoy it anyway.

For kickass music and poetic lyrics about shady characters and being down and out, you can't do much better than the Pogues. Their Irish folk-punk was the biggest influence on bands like Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphys, but frontman/lyricist Shane McGowan always reminds me a bit of Waits during his maudlin, "hobo in the gutter" period. However, Waits was largely playing a character while narrating those songs, while McGowan WAS practically a hobo in the gutter.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 14, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I'm looking for something similar to massive attack/air/metric/portishead with an emphasis on female vocals.

Bitter:Sweet have two amazing albums, The Mating Game and Drama, both with sultry, sexy female vocals courtesy of Shana Halligan. They kind of veer into trip-hop sometimes, but they're generally more "loungey" than Portishead or Massive Attack, with an upbeat retro flair. Two of my favorites from them are "Dirty Laundry" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvQgBrQnqzk ) and "The Mating Game" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VljGLcxA1U&feature=related ).

I can't forget Lovage, a "supergroup" comprised of NMD favorite Mike Patton, Jennifer Charles of Elysian Fields, and Dan the Automator producing. Their one album is practically a soundtrack for seduction, with trip-hoppy beats and Patton's growling playing off Charles' vocals that just drip sex. Here's "To Catch a Thief" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2c2aa_GMVA ) and "Strangers on a Train" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Ad03oRWcI&feature=related ).

You may also like Goldfrapp, particularly their first and fourth albums Felt Mountain and Seventh Tree. Those two are a lot darker, more down-tempo and trip-hoppy than the others. Here's a track called "Lovely Head": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBq-XCKePWg

My latest musical discovery is a Swedish group called Koop, who specialize in jazzy electronica constructed from samples, with original vocal tracks. Their song "Koop Island Blues" pretty much epitomizes sexy, lush, exotic female vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTTGX27fsA4&feature=PlayList&p=ED95475761A49CC8&index=0&playnext=1

Black Box Recorder is very dark and haunting, shaped by Sarah Nixey's cold-yet-sexy British accent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UaUCgXXvNQ&feature=PlayList&p=2AF232BEA8160C55&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=22

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

From Earth posted:

Looking for bands with terrific horn sections. I'm not really talking about great solists (although I will never say no to a roaring sax solo) or all-brass ensembles, I'm mostly talking about bands with a small but solid horn section with some great riffs. Genre can be anything.

If you like the late-'90s swing/jump blues revival, I always thought Royal Crown Revue was the best of the lot of zoot suited bands, but Cherry Poppin' Daddies were more versatile, playing everything from swing to country-blues to funk to ska.

I know she turned into a tabloid joke, but Amy Winehouse WAS a hell of a singer (and may become one again), and her Mark Ronson-produced album Back to Black featured great horn arrangements from the Daptone Horns.

Of course, any "Best of" James Brown compilation is going to have a really tight horn section led by Maceo Parker on alto sax. James Brown had some classic soul songs, so much better than just "I Feel Good."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

wlokos posted:

Edit: While I'm at it, where should I start with the jam band genre? All I've got is Phish's Story of a Ghost album, and them doing Remain In Light live.

I always had trouble getting into jam bands, but back in high school (mid-'90s), I really liked Phish's studio albums. Junta would be a great re-introduction to them, with some extended jams alongside shorter, more structured songs. Plus it has "Divided Sky," one of Trey Anastasio's best solos. Even though I haven't listened to these guys in over a decade, I've always really loved Trey's sound and respected him as a guitarist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sprint posted:

Looking for something that is kind of along the lines of American roots/bluegrass, but something I think is a bit more specific. What I'm looking for is typified in Vienna Teng's "Grandmother Song" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyoxMBQS9bM&feature=related ) and, to a slightly lesser extent, "I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow" from O Brother Where Art Thou?. It's got a bit of a soulful edge to it. All of my searchings in bluegrass have just turned up with things that sound too akin to country for my liking. Anyone know where I could go with this?

William Elliott Whitmore is an amazing young folk singer with a very dark, soulful edge, kind of like "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" filtered through Tom Waits. He's not bluegrass at all, but definitely falls under the Americana/roots/folk umbrella.

Here's his song "Diggin' My Grave": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj5yGTUHFkQ

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

noggut posted:

My own request:
I've got a real soft spot for cheerful songs with whistling, and have been listening to this song a lot lately. Anyone got something to recommend?

This is my favorite song with whistling, "The Whistling Song" by the Pinker Tones. It is so drat catchy and upbeat, you can't help but get it stuck in your head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Prcs8yFx_Q

And if you want classic, awesome, epic whistling, you can't go wrong with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzQOquRB9fA

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I am always looking for more sexy, mysterious-sounding, female-fronted trip-hoppy bands like Portishead, Lovage, and Bitter:Sweet. I'm familiar with all the usual suspects, but would I like Shivaree? I absolutely love their song "Goodnight Moon" (from the closing credits of Kill Bill Volume 2) -- it really fits into the same kind of sound I like. What do people say about them, generally?

I ask because I've been disappointed a few times recently after hearing amazing-sounding songs I love and then buying CDs that are disappointing: Koop and Psapp come to mind.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

blue squares posted:

Hey, thanks a lot. I've never listened to "Triphop" before and it's pretty cool. What else should I listen to, NMD?

Portishead is the absolute best trip-hop had to offer. All three of their albums are amazing, but I'd start with the first two, "Dummy" and "Portishead." Many love Massive Attack (try the album "Mezzanine") or Morcheeba (they have a "Best of" compilation that would be worthwhile). The Lovage album "Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By" is highly sexual trip-hop, but the lyrics are so over-the-top as to become humorous. Those should get you started. I love trip-hop, but unfortunately the heyday for that sound was in the late '90s.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Juttman posted:

Recently, I've been really into Paul Simon's Graceland album. Can anybody think of any similar sounding albums or bands that play a similar style to that?
It's a great album I haven't listened to in years, but was just thinking about it recently. At the risk of being made fun of, Vampire Weekend's self-titled debut actually has some African-sounding influences, and you can tell they were all big Graceland fans. Of course, there's always Ladysmith Black Mambazo if you liked the choral sections.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Little Treasure posted:

I have two Frank Zappa albums: Apostrophe and The Grand Wazoo. I would like to get into more of his stuff, but his incredibly large body of work has me baffled. Going off of the two albums I have, what do you recommend I listen to next?

If anyone can help me identify the song from my first post, that would be awesome too!

Hey, fellow Zappa fan! I agree that his discography is intimidating, but Apostrophe is a great album for getting your feet wet in the pool of Zappaness. You should follow it up with the album that came out the year between Grand Wazoo and Apostrophe, 1973's Over-Nite Sensation. Like Apostrophe, it is very poppy and accessible, with some of Zappa's best-known songs.

After that, I'd skip to 1979 for two of my favorite albums of his, Sheik Yerbouti (also loaded with raunchy humor and pop-rock hits) and Joe's Garage, a rock opera/concept album that everyone ought to hear at least once.

Finally, 1978's Studio Tan also has the bizarre, cartoonish-sounding 20-minute epic "The Adventures of Greggery Peccary," which is just too much fun. Zappa has a long and illustrious career, but most of my favorite albums came out of the '70s, and luckily you already have a foothold in that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Is there a name for what I would call 1920's steampunk jazz techno? Or anywhere I can find more? The few examples I have are specific parts of or specific songs from a just plain techno band.

Bassnectar- Churn of the Century is best one I can find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaFAjn2WRCw

I loved your description, but the music didn't exactly live up to what I built up in my head.

The Secret Society, a (jazz) big band led by bandleader Darcy James Argue, has taken on kind of a "steampunk" theme with its album Infernal Machines, but it is a lot more straight-ahead jazz than your Bassnectar sample:

http://www.secretsocietymusic.org/darcy_james_argues_secret/secret-society-live-audio.html