Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a bee
Apr 17, 2006
bees, bees, bees, just lookin' for a good time

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I'm looking to go on a new music binge, so the more recommendations the better. I hope this isn't a faux pas here in NMD, but it's the most concise way to give a picture of what I like I can think of so here's my Last.fm.

tl;dr of above:

Just found out that contrary to what my proto-hipster friend told me, Yeah Yeah Yeahs are in fact ridiculously awesome, but I'm a little apprehensive it won't last. I liked them the instant I heard it which is generally a sign I'll get sick of it in a week or two. Trying to get a grip on Built to Spill, not so sure about it, seems really samey on the first couple listens. I'm going to give it another shot or five though, maybe there's something I'm not immediately hearing musically, and some of the lyrics have really blown me away.

Current favorites:
Modest Mouse
The Faint
Pixies
The White Stripes
Cake

I hate hate hate ambient and jam bands. That's not to say I begrudge you your liking them if that's what you're into, it's a taste thing not an objective value judgement. I like stuff that keeps giving when I concentrate on it. Layers, discordant notes that shouldn't work but do, syncopation, that kind of thing. Music that fades into the background can go gently caress itself.

Thanks!

That you like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Modest Mouse, Pixies and The White Stripes (and I guess some Modest Mouse) makes me think you might like some slightly screwy but catchy rock and roll. You might like the first Devo album (Q: Are We Not Men A: We Are Devo), Pere Ubu and The Monks (who Jack White really likes, apparently)

Rough Trade also have a Rock n Roll compilation out you might like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU