Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico

Over the years I have come to like and then loooooooooose interest in almost every style of automotive tuning. One thing that has never failed to keep me interested is sleepers. Most of you know what a sleeper is, but for those that don't, it is basically some serious muscle under the hood of a pretty ordinary looking car. To get the thread rolling, I am gonna post one of my favorites that I have seen popping up everywhere on the internet lately...

To keep the thread on track, apparently basic rules need to be made abundently clear:

-Only post cars. No bikes, no trains, no airplanes, no zeplins, etc.

-Do not post prodution cars, the thread is focused on the "Sleeper" aspect of car tuning

-Don't post a stock looking car, and not a picture of WHY it is a sleeper (Engine shot/explaination, etc.)

-Links to more info on your car posted is always a plus!

Budget Monty fucked around with this message at Feb 4, 2009 around 05:56

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

not black enough posted:

Ricers

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

The Volvette: TT LS1-powered 740 Wagon

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/27/...ered-740-wagon/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

The last of his kind. His home team was destroyed by Rene Bourque.

not black enough posted:

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico

70's VW Rabbit with a newer VR6 12V

-Spiffy-
Jul 30, 2003

noice

I love that Nova, also everyone should check out the '71 Corolla thread because its loving insane.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=2813206

leica
Jan 23, 2006

I want to build one of these dammit

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Would have been a shame to blow it up.

10-4 come and exchange loads with me good buddy

Came here looking for the 120 inch sleeper. Stayed for the other kind.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

^^ Just for you.

Elemennop
Dec 28, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
Complete with the legendary 4g63t and AWD, seen here in its natural environment.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I love Alaska. The only people Natives beat are their wives.

Simkin posted:

^^ Just for you.

You know drat well he meant one that you sleep in while you're crossing the country hauling freight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

Elemennop posted:

Complete with the legendary 4g63t and AWD, seen here in its natural environment.

This is like calling a wingless Evo a "sleeper"

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Elemennop posted:

Understeering after locking up the brakes?

Elemennop
Dec 28, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!

not black enough posted:

Understeering after locking up the brakes?

This was one of my first bouts of auto-x and I locked up the brakes right before a tight corner. I actually did not humiliate myself any further on subsequent runs.

Contraband posted:

This is like calling a wingless Evo a "sleeper"

So a a stock looking Galant that runs 12.X second 1/4 miles is not a sleeper?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

I'm the monster in the closet.

Budget Monty posted:

My Nova was that exact color. Down to the oxidation. Sadly, I was but a lowly high school student and couldn't afford all the whoop-rear end that's been poured into that one.

I ate Jesus
Feb 27, 2001

Where can I find out more about that Nova? The site watermarked on all the pics (w2wpowertrain.com) is under construction and doesn't have any info. Everything Google has links to that site. Am I out of luck until they finish the site?

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

Elemennop posted:

So a a stock looking Galant that runs 12.X second 1/4 miles is not a sleeper?

A stock-everything Camry will do a 14.5s 1/4mi according to Road&Track. Would you call that a sleeper? Because it sure as hell is faster than a stock GVR4.

In the spirit of the thread:

Just a Scirocco with subtle flares and weird 80s wheels?

Check out the dash and you'll know what's up

fishmech_1.1_RC fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2009 around 04:58

Elemennop
Dec 28, 2004

Contraband posted:

A stock-everything Camry will do a 14.5s 1/4mi according to Road&Track. Would you call that a sleeper? Because it sure as hell is faster than a stock GVR4.

It obviously isn't stock if I run 12s in it.

Here are some more pictures. I haven't gotten an updated engine bay picture in a while, but this should do.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

I'm just a lonely, undefended cargo ship. Nothing to see here, move along...

-Spiffy-
Jul 30, 2003

noice

Contraband posted:

In the spirit of the thread:

Just a Scirocco with subtle flares and weird 80s wheels?

Check out the dash and you'll know what's up

Cmon you gotta actually show the engine bay otherwise its just teasing.

Also this was posted in the video thread:
Twin Engined Hyundai
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=yofZIcTkCiw

-Spiffy- fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2009 around 05:17

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

Both my hands are capable of moving a stick up and down 5 inches. No extra practice or training was needed.

I don't think I've ever seen a non-VR4 Galant in my life. I'm sure some people must have bought them back in the day but I doubt anyone would bother to save those POS from the crusher. Nowadays if I see a Galant of that generation I just assume it's a VR-4, and I know VR-4s aren't slow.

Now if you had dropped that engine into, say, an early 90s Hyundai Elantra, then you'd have a case.

Anti-Square
Jul 23, 2007

by Nutt Hogg

OP, the car you posted was on Spike's muscle car show during the powerblock, i watched every episode of that build. there should be some info on spike's website somewhere.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the Cathode glow..

Hmm, looks pretty stock.

Hey, what's goin on back there?

Boat
May 23, 2006

WOODEN BOATS IN RETIREMENT YEARS

I ate Jesus posted:

Where can I find out more about that Nova? The site watermarked on all the pics (w2wpowertrain.com) is under construction and doesn't have any info. Everything Google has links to that site. Am I out of luck until they finish the site?

http://www.automotiveblogger.net/19...timate-sleeper/

The thing is sick as hell. I've always wanted to re-purchase my first car a '72 Dart 4 door, and drop in a ridiculously huge hemi. Someday...

Elemennop
Dec 28, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a non-VR4 Galant in my life. I'm sure some people must have bought them back in the day but I doubt anyone would bother to save those POS from the crusher. Nowadays if I see a Galant of that generation I just assume it's a VR-4, and I know VR-4s aren't slow.

Now if you had dropped that engine into, say, an early 90s Hyundai Elantra, then you'd have a case.

Wow where do you live where you see only GVR4s? There were only 3009 made for the USA, so I don't know where you are spotting all of these VR4s around. It's interesting because a large percentage of car enthusiasts have no idea what these cars are until it blows them away (pretty much the definition of sleeper), yet to you I guess they are on commonplace.

-Spiffy-
Jul 30, 2003

noice

Heres the full write up of that Nova:
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehic..._w2w/index.html

I love the meticulous care taken to not "gently caress up" the already hosed up backseat.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

The US never got the S2 so most of these you will run across have a dumpy 150hp inline 5.

Except this one.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2009 around 06:33

ZerglingMinor
May 4, 2005

Filthy... Toddler-Infested... Beard?

Budget Monty posted:

Over the years I have come to like and then loose interest in almost every style of automotive tuning. One thing that has never failed to keep me interested is sleepers. Most of you know what a sleeper is, but for those that don't, it is basically some serious muscle under the hood of a pretty ordinary looking car. To get the thread rolling, I am gonna post one of my favorites that I have seen popping up everywhere on the internet lately...

I wouldn't exactly call this a sleeper, when someone sees an older car like this kept in good shape they usually assume its been hopped up to some degree, Although I guess you could make the argument that you would not expect it to be a 9 second car.

edit: NVM looking at the workup, that is definitely a sleeper

ZerglingMinor fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2009 around 06:00

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

a guy I know's 80-something subaru GL:

with an sti motor.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/...agon_106984.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBNMcQel930

he's kind of a wierd guy.

jamal fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2009 around 06:07

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004
WASSUP BRO

Oh look its a Magna my Grandma drives one of those.

Cat Terrist
Nov 9, 2004

SAY HELLO TO MY AXE

Varvs posted:

Oh look its a Magna my Grandma drives one of those.

Jesus Christ, you HAVE to tell us more about this loving thing. NOW.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

jamal posted:

a guy I know's 80-something subaru GL:

with an sti motor.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/...agon_106984.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBNMcQel930

he's kind of a wierd guy.

So does that thing just melt all the tires any time he gives it some gas?

OneStopShop
Dec 20, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

leica posted:

Exactly what motor is that? The only Mazda V6 I recall was the one in the probe/mx6 and it was pretty lovely, it doesn't even respond well to bolt-ons.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

I've always had a soft spot for Dodge Turbo Caravans

The one in this picture clocked 12.651 seconds at 105.44 mph running the factory 4cyl un-rebuilt engine with 141,000 miles on it.

Neon Darkness
Jul 28, 2007
*fzzzt*

Varvs posted:

Lies

Dude thats just a picture of a Magna and a picture of a R33 GT-R engine bay

Ned Ryerson
Jun 20, 2005

Remember me?

Doc Spratley posted:

I've always had a soft spot for Dodge Turbo Caravans

The one in this picture clocked 12.651 seconds at 105.44 mph running the factory 4cyl un-rebuilt engine with 141,000 miles on it.

Yep, now that is a sleeper . . .

. . . although not quite so much as 'Relentless', the 10-second K-car:

http://thedodgegarage.com/the_reliant.html

Video of a Supra getting it's arse kicked by this car:

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=m2R-L2u1qus

In a similar vein, the 11 second L300 plumber's van:

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=_kecNxxrUa0

Love the details, like the roofrack with the pipe on it.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.

Just your every day early 90's corolla hatch back, some nice sensible 15 inch alloy wheels.

Or maybe not quite....

19psi all day, everyday. No time for bling.

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

ZerglingMinor posted:

I wouldn't exactly call this a sleeper, when someone sees an older car like this kept in good shape they usually assume its been hopped up to some degree, Although I guess you could make the argument that you would not expect it to be a 9 second car.

edit: NVM looking at the workup, that is definitely a sleeper

yeah for some reason i kinda doubt that foot and a half wide rear tires implies "sleeper" in any way whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

leica posted:

Nice. Dan[sac]'s 323.

HachiGo posted:

Exactly what motor is that? The only Mazda V6 I recall was the one in the probe/mx6 and it was pretty lovely, it doesn't even respond well to bolt-ons.

The Probe 2.5L is one option.

The 200hp KLZE 2.5L from Japan-land is another story. Both are a direct bolt in with no loving wiring mess.

I have something like this planned for my 323 sometime...

«10 »