Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

General Battuta posted:

Knew it wouldn't go unloved. Banks fo lyfe

Am i misinterpreting this or are you involved with Destiny in some way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, they hired me as a writer to help close the game. I got to write a bunch of the in-game text (not mission scripts but stuff like weapon and armor descriptions) and a lot of the Grimoire, their companion app with backstory and stuff.

Couldn't ship it without a Banks tribute :unsmith: You even spend the whole game running around in the company of a tiny floating robot. I wish our mission scripts had played him more like a knife missile or a drone.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Ah, cool. Congrats. I've been kinda interested in the game but all my video gaming takes place on a 5 year old mac or a 3ds at the moment so I had kind of forgotten about it for a while.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Haha hot drat I wasn't expecting a response from the person responsible for that. You're good people, General Battuta.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
If anyone hasn't seen it yet, there's a knife missile in Guardians of the Galaxy, and it is awesome.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Avulsion posted:

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, there's a knife missile in Guardians of the Galaxy, and it is awesome.

It was pretty cool! I thought of it more like a mix of a knife missile and a whiphound from The Prefect.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

BastardySkull posted:

I've posted my Banks images on Redbubble for those that are interested. The markup will all go to a charity helping survivors of sexual abuse, of which Banks was patron.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukejfrost/collections/289653-the-culture-fanart

Enjoy!

I love your art style and I love Iain M. Banks so this is basically a Christmas gift to me. You own.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

How does RedBubble handle shipping? I don't want to buy a 140€ print and then have it come in the mail all screwed up, and I'm in Portugal, so it's a long distance. Is there a distribution center in Europe or something?

E: There's this info on their website :downs:

orange sky fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 11, 2014

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

BastardySkull posted:

I've posted my Banks images on Redbubble for those that are interested. The markup will all go to a charity helping survivors of sexual abuse, of which Banks was patron.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukejfrost/collections/289653-the-culture-fanart

Enjoy!

Pretty sure this is going to be my dad's Christmas present. Cheers :)

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I am having A LOT of trouble deciding whether I want the GSV Exterior or Interior. I like the style of those more than the style of the Player of Games / Excession ones (my two favorite culture books). Maybe I need to read Look to Windward and then get that one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think the GSV exterior was originally entitled 'Sleeper Service', if I'm recalling correctly, so hey, get that and love on Excession.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
And away we go. Those metal prints are really snazzy.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

These paintings make me feel so much stuff... I love the Culture :)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Updated the OP for the first time in too long, added his final book to the bibliography. :smith:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Entropic posted:

Updated the OP for the first time in too long, added his final book to the bibliography. :smith:

This post actually made me hugely :smith:, way more than it logically should.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

It was pretty cool! I thought of it more like a mix of a knife missile and a whiphound from The Prefect.

Well a whiphound is basically a primitive knife missile with a tail anyway.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I recently read this review of Surface Detail, which is a book that I haven't read for ages. (The review is spoiler heavy, by the way.) Because it's been so long since I read Surface Detail, I've forgotten about this bit (as described by the review):

quote:

The forces who actually achieve the novel's triumphant conclusion, in which real war is prevented while the hells are destroyed, are an alien race we've never heard of before. Their sudden appearance as all-knowing, all-powerful parent figures who, with rather a bit more force than the Culture would have exercised, chastise the errant children and send them off to bed without their supper feels more than a little like a deus ex machina.

Can anyone explain to me what this is about? Who is the author referring to? What's the climax they're referring to?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Those On My Left posted:

I recently read this review of Surface Detail, which is a book that I haven't read for ages. (The review is spoiler heavy, by the way.) Because it's been so long since I read Surface Detail, I've forgotten about this bit (as described by the review):

Can anyone explain to me what this is about? Who is the author referring to? What's the climax they're referring to?

That reviewer didn't read the book.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

That reviewer didn't read the book.

Yeah, I really don't remember any last minute intervention by some sort of higher-than-Culture level civilisation but wondered if I was just misremembering it. I went to the wiki page that lists all the societies in the Culture setting and looked for anything that sounded like a candidate, but couldn't come up with any. I wondered if I was just misremembering it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, that's crazy, it's like they didn't like the actual end and just fanfictioned one up and then proceeded to review the book.

e: a fanfictioned up ending that they didn't actually like all that much.:psypop:

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Deus ex machina is kind of the whole point of the Culture anyway.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
It's talking about those guys who interrogated the soldier.
I don't remember them actually doing what's discussed, but I think that's who it's referring to.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 4, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Weren't at least some of those guys Culture?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Weren't at least some of those guys Culture?
No, the ones who quantum-threatened him with torture, not the bird and the raincloud crew

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

awesmoe posted:

It's talking about those guys who interrogated the soldier.
I don't remember them actually doing what's discussed, but I think that's who it's referring to.

Can you elaborate on this please? Like I said, I don't really remember the ending.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
It's been a while since I read it too, but I thought the gist was that The GFCF and Veppers conspired to nuke the Hells by taking over the manufacturies. The GCFC likes to think they might out-Culture the Culture by doing cool wetwork operations and then letting the big guys take the credit/blame, but there are hints that they may have been subtly pushed towards this action by some SC Minds.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Hang on, are they referring to the GFCF using communication crypto from some civilization that had mostly sublimed and the bits of that civilization that did not sublime had buried some code that allowed them to eavesdrop. Then they turned up and were all "You shower are a bunch of shitheads and we are passing on your communications because you are shitheads".

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

rejutka posted:

Hang on, are they referring to the GFCF using communication crypto from some civilization that had mostly sublimed and the bits of that civilization that did not sublime had buried some code that allowed them to eavesdrop. Then they turned up and were all "You shower are a bunch of shitheads and we are passing on your communications because you are shitheads".

That's what I thought.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Was going through Destiny related stuff earlier because I'm overwhelmingly hyped for that game and there's a challenge/achievement/whatever thing called Use of Weapons. General Battuta :swoon:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

sinking belle posted:

Was going through Destiny related stuff earlier because I'm overwhelmingly hyped for that game and there's a challenge/achievement/whatever thing called Use of Weapons. General Battuta :swoon:

Welp, this fence wasn't all that comfortable to sit on anyway.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Did General Battuta work on the game?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Top of the page. Please don't expect a Culture game, though, you'll be so let down.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

General Battuta posted:

Top of the page. Please don't expect a Culture game, though, you'll be so let down.

Hah, of course. Is there even a way to visualize some of the stuff covered in The Culture?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

fookolt posted:

Hah, of course. Is there even a way to visualize some of the stuff covered in The Culture?

I occasionally replicate GSV battles by spinning round really fast and then staring into a lighbulb while I poke myself in the eye.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I occasionally replicate GSV battles by spinning round really fast and then staring into a lighbulb while I poke myself in the eye.

Fortunately you only have to do that for about 2 seconds start to finish for a large fleet engagement.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Murgos posted:

Fortunately you only have to do that for about 2 seconds start to finish for a large fleet engagement.

That seems like a long time, does it include sending snarky messages to your victims' next of kin?

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I imagine .1 second battles happening. Then I get sad because no one is ever going to put something like that on a screen. gently caress I wish I had a billion dollars. But that's what books are for, imagination.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fragmented posted:

I imagine .1 second battles happening. Then I get sad because no one is ever going to put something like that on a screen. gently caress I wish I had a billion dollars. But that's what books are for, imagination.

I don't think the Culture is likely to wind up on screen, but they could use "oh, that was a slow-motion replay" as an excuse to show ship battles, like in Surface Detail (I think).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Just show crazy poo poo happening, while including an 'elapsed time' thing. or show it happening, then go back and show it in mind-time. Would work well with the ROU Killing Time going on a rampage in Excession. Doubly so if it's from his perspective. "That was fast, let me show you how it looked to me." Then it includes trash talking and insulting.

MISSED FUCKERS!

E: also you're good people general battuta, if only it was a good game

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I can totally see a battle happen in the blink of eye while making it a 2 or 3 minute scene, constantly switching between the superfast stuff happening and a character slooooowly blinking just once.

• Locked thread