Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
ROU Outside Context Solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
GSV Lyrical Glory Incarnate

(I totally stole that, but it is just so good).

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

this thread has encouraged me to reread all the banks i have. Thank you.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ptkfvk posted:

this thread has encouraged me to reread all the banks i have. Thank you.

Oh god, now we've caused a run on the Banks.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

God drat it.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
GCU Dead Horse? There's No Dead Horse Around Here

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Check out this amazing bit of Hydrogen Sonata art, from the artist "Manchu", I think it's for a translated French version.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just read a review of Surface Detail that said this

quote:

One part of the novel follows Chay, who has become trapped in a virtual hell, and charts the torment (both physical and psychological) which she experiences. Banks’s visceral imagination summons up wheels of blood, monstrous demons and a vast war in hell – the only purposes of which are to inflict more suffering. Banks has a brilliant imagination not only for science fiction concepts but also for the gruesome and disturbing. In this novel he combines both, and the result is both gripping and gory.

and honestly that sounds amazing, should I skip forward and read this book next (I've read Phlebas, Games, Weapons and State of the Art) or just continue with the publication order and read Excession next? I know they're all standalone books and can be read in any order yada yada yada, but what would you recommend I tackle next?

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Excession is amazing, favorite Banks book for me.

Surface Detail doesn't quite reach those heights, but is still great.

If you really love Ships and Minds, go with Excession.

You're not going to be disappointed with either.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I think Excession is cooler if you like your sci-fi, gently caress loads of big mean super powerful spaceships getting up to nonsense and giving you their personal conversations. I think surface Surface Detail is one where banks trys to tackle the age old philosophical question of what happens if you make a perfect copy of a sentient being, as is in what happens if the transporter hosed up on star trek and the original was still there.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just dive into Surface Detail next if that sounds intriguing to you. Surface Detail and Use of Weapons are the only two books with a notable connection, so there's no chronological concerns. Excession is a yarn about a big, complicated, galaxy-spanning conspiracy. So if that sounds more interesting, I guess you should look at that instead.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The most powerful thing about Surface Detail is that it really makes you examine just how hosed up the idea of "hell" is, and immediately throws into suspicion any belief structure that includes the concept of unending torment as punishment.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Hedrigall posted:

I just read a review of Surface Detail that said this

and honestly that sounds amazing, should I skip forward and read this book next (I've read Phlebas, Games, Weapons and State of the Art) or just continue with the publication order and read Excession next? I know they're all standalone books and can be read in any order yada yada yada, but what would you recommend I tackle next?

Look to windward is really, really good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I do feel like Excession and Windward feel... younger than Surface Detail and Matter and The Hydrogen Sonata. Like there was a noticeable shift in style in the eight years between Windward and Matter, and you should read the earlier generation of books before the later.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MikeJF posted:

I do feel like Excession and Windward feel... younger than Surface Detail and Matter and The Hydrogen Sonata. Like there was a noticeable shift in style in the eight years between Windward and Matter, and you should read the earlier generation of books before the later.

I do too. It won't hurt (I read Matter third and Look to Windward last but for The Hydrogen Sonata) but there's definitely a tonal and thematic shift. Plus, y'know, the latter ones are way longer.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

re

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The most powerful thing about Surface Detail is that it really makes you examine just how hosed up the idea of "hell" is, and immediately throws into suspicion any belief structure that includes the concept of unending torment as punishment.

This is a great short post. I don't know anyone who is religious in a religion with hell can read this and still think people should go there. I've read some hosed up poo poo but wow. That book is messed up. And one of my favorites.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Look To Windward was the best of the Culture books IMHO.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I would love a shirt that referenced the Interesting Times Gang.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

xian posted:

I would love a shirt that referenced the Interesting Times Gang.

Seconding this. In fact, some subtle Culture-themed tshirts in general would be pretty neat.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Thirded. Paging BastardySkull to the Iain M. Banks thread.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Frankly, the more subtle the better.

Entropic posted:

Look To Windward was the best of the Culture books IMHO.

That's a funny way to write Excession Matter The Player of Games Use of Weapons.

(I can never decide, but I think UoW always comes out on top for me.)

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Seconding this. In fact, some subtle Culture-themed tshirts in general would be pretty neat.

Sublime Culture or SIMULATION in big red letters on a t-shirt?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tuluk posted:

Sublime Culture or SIMULATION in big red letters on a t-shirt?

Or something involving gravitas.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Shockeh posted:

Frankly, the more subtle the better.

Well, the Culture doesn't have a flag, seal, or symbol. Maybe every plain shirt you see ... :tinfoil:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Toast Museum posted:

Well, the Culture doesn't have a flag, seal, or symbol. Maybe every plain shirt you see ... :tinfoil:

Could do a visual pun, like a Reaper in a petri dish ("Culture drone").

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I think I like Matter the most. I don't think many people think that they like Matter the most.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sinking belle posted:

I think I like Matter the most. I don't think many people think that they like Matter the most.

Matter matters, but Matter doesn't matter that much to me.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I just want a grey pocket tee that says Interesting Times Gang on the pocket. I should just make this on red bubble and order it for myself.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hmm, or maybe a paramecium with quadcopter rotors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Marain text?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Kesper North posted:

Could do a visual pun, like a Reaper in a petri dish ("Culture drone").

I'm sure we can come up with a nonary glyph that encapsulates all those ideas.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

A turtleneck with "Zakalwe" printed on the front in Marain.

With matching hat.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's not like anyone can go around calling themselves Zakalwe.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting
Times Gang

Or

The same thing
In Marain

(not not wasting an hour and a half tomorrow working up marain tshirts)

~

Also, I liked Matter a lot, it was very entertaining, but reading it back to back with Surface Detail didn't do it any favors.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

xian posted:

Also, I liked Matter a lot, it was very entertaining, but reading it back to back with Surface Detail didn't do it any favors.

The pacing was weird, even by Banks standards. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I enjoyed Matter a lot more the second time around when I was prepared for the whiplash.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I had this thought the other day. Matter is like a JRRT hobbit adventure with Anaplion as Gandalf.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fragmented posted:

I had this thought the other day. Matter is like a JRRT hobbit adventure with Anaplion as Gandalf.

Love this.

So I was thinking. The phrase "Interesting Times Gang" written in english in a circle on the pocket of a t-shirt. Inside the circle marain script for OCP.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I survived an
OUTSIDE CONTEXT PROBLEM
and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hahahaha that's amazing

• Locked thread