Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

FelchTragedy posted:

ROU: Reversing bus Blunder

It took him about 10 seconds.

I don't get it. :( (Am I having a Mr Thicky moment?)

Just finished Surface Detail last night. loving loved Demeisen/Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints. Oddly, I semi-guessed the Zakalwe reveal but that was probably because I re-read Use of Weapons just before and wondered why Zakalwe wasn't involved in the Hell war.

I can't find my copy of Excession to reread. No Infinite Fun Space for me. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Oh Jesus, I was having a Mr Thicky moment.

In amends, a ship name I'd like to see - ROU Smile When You Say That

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I always thought he fought to win and his methods were also psychologically primed to terrify his opponents. One day, it occurred to him what that looked like from the outside.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
The female poet love interest - two possibilities there - finally shows up, giving closure of a sorts to his story?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
So, fuddy duddy old ship Mind or new, fast, fully automatic armada stomping ship Mind?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Daktar posted:

Consider Phlebas is great, but I wouldn't really call it a Culture book as such. It's a sci-fi story which has the Culture in it. I sometimes wonder whether Banks meant for them to take centre stage. Pretty ballsy making them the enemy in the first book if he did intend it all along, though.

He did. My citation of this consists of having met him a bunch of times - Give him whisk(e)y at your own risk - and conversations that flowed. That I remember, Consider Phlebas is predicate on the base idea of a "Good Guy fighting on the wrong side".

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I just re-read Surface Detail and, well, with all the other level 8 civilisations out there, how come none of them ever prevail against the Culture? I mean, Banks has been hinting increasingly that the Culture is something of a smug bastard that a lot of people would like to embarrass.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
GSV What If I Just Want To Twiddle The Nipples?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
(d)ROU Melon Farmer

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Infinite Fun Space.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Fragmented posted:

What about the loner guy in Excession that the Affront kills? The traitor mind says it captured his mind state before he was killed and the guy ends up being brought back to life. The mind even uses it as an excuse when trying to convince itself it was right(after the Killing Time effectors it hehe)

What's the difference between that and death though? If it's just a copy the first guy is still gone right? What then is the point of backing up?

(I can understand in the case of SC agents because SC owns your rear end)

Really? Killing Time has an entire bit in the same book about backing up and then feeling an oddly settled calm now that mind was set and course is true. Killing Time has a moment of personal introspection (Obviously rare for OU class) and then decides against re-transmitting the updated version of Killing Time.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Pope Guilty posted:

It's also one of the most anti-singulitarian books I've ever read.

Ahehehehehe, wiggly line. Is this anything resembling a thing or did you just go with a word that should work?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
We are nothing new. *nods sagely*

That said, is there anyone would not become a part of the Culture? Gobuchul and Zakalwe are the only two I remember with genuine misgivings.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

andrew smash posted:

Horza and zakalwe, despite being interesting protagonists, are also war criminals by any sensible definition of the word so consider their perspective.

Not mutually exclusive.

(partially the point.)

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
It's a word that turns up all over Iain's writings.

Definition:

A long, steep slope, esp. one at the edge of a plateau or separating areas of land at different heights.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Agreed. I don't think Excession would really work as either, but for some reason I think it would have the coolest trailer.

That reason is Torturer class Rapid Offensive Unit Killing Time. :black101: :colbert:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Yeah, let's put the climax of the thing into the trailer. That's never annoying.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Was that the ship that hacked the other ships to direct their engines directly into their brains? That was badass as hell, but totally unfilmable.

I was thinking more the bit that precedes that aka Killing Time versus a fleet, looking for one ship.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Hey, Banksy must've announced a new Culture novel or some-----

ROU Well gently caress This poo poo Altogether

:(

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Check out Richard Garfinkle. I've only read two (first two?) of his books but Holy poo poo!

Celestial Matters is a book in which the mathematics of Pythagoras are solid so you have spaceships mined and hollowed out from the moon and other mental crazy poo poo*. The Greeks are in a long-standing hot/cold war with China because of differing mathematical principles.

*Yellow Hair :allears:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
GSV That wasn't the Banks I meant should be ended.

poo poo buckets. :(

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
For Dublin, Ireland people, Chapters is selling Stonemouth in large format paperback for 4.99.

I haven't read it as I found I much prefer the M stuff - with exceptions - how is it?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Hang on, are they referring to the GFCF using communication crypto from some civilization that had mostly sublimed and the bits of that civilization that did not sublime had buried some code that allowed them to eavesdrop. Then they turned up and were all "You shower are a bunch of shitheads and we are passing on your communications because you are shitheads".

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
LSV Once More 'Round the Sun

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
(D)ROU John Wick

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Yeah, it's good and part of his early non-M I wanna write Sci-Fi fiction. There's also what seems to me to be a recycling of an idea from Use of Weapons.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
LSV Reality Perception Inhibitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
GCU Just Go Home and Put on Pants and Come Back

• Locked thread