Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Against a Dark Background isn't a Culture book, but it features a gun with a sense of humour...

Um, are you looking for sci-fi, or not? Only he wrote both, and all other things being equal I'd suggest starting with The Wasp Factory, which is an amazing achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

LSV Actually, That's a Misquote

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I think that Transition, like The Steep Approach to Garbadale, works a lot better if you read it early. I just couldn't shake the thought "I liked this a lot better when it was simpler and easier to follow and called 'The Business'."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Can someone who likes Inversions tell me what the point of all that was? At least Canal Dreams had a heroine I could cheer for.

I mean, I get what he was trying to do, mostly, but there had to be a better way...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Banks, like Terry Pratchett, is a complete original. We'll nae see his like again and it's completely hopeless looking for someone to play that role.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 23, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

IIRC his starting point was "Iain Banks does an airport novel".

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I thought it was an interesting near miss. Definitely worth trying to see what you think.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If you like him best when he's being totally weird, go for The Wasp Factory, Walking on Glass, The Bridge, and A Song of Stone. If you like his characterisations, go for Whit, Espedair Street, or The Crow Road. If you like his plotting and imagination best, try Complicity, The Business, or Stonemouth.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Excuse me, but are you implying that "Pounded in the Butt By My Own Book 'Pounded in the Butt By My Own Butt'" is not significant?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You have to be able to cope with lukn @ reel wurd nat-Ingels rittin 2 b abel 2 njoi Feersumm Endjinn, myn u; wic i kant reely du so t woz 1/2 interesting and 1/2 dull paynfull slog

(I had exactly the same problem with Riddley Walker.)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm far from sure that I'd describe Excession as the best Culture book, but it's definitely my favourite. That ITG takeover of the Taussig Incident scratches a very deep-rooted itch.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The Culture is not a liberal democracy and I wouldn't be surprised if suggesting that it is means that you start hearing a ghostly Scottish voice singing the Internationale for a while (leave out a few drams of Islay and it should go away again)

http://www.vavatch.co.uk/books/banks/cultnote.htm

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Dude, have you read Complicity yet? Go read Complicity. Right now.

• Locked thread