Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
A year back I read something in PopSci about how the Pentagon was going to start working on mobility platforms for this technology starting in 2010, with the bulk of the research dedicated to an orbital delivery system. With the Obama administration cutting back on defense spending in the 2010 budget, is that no longer feasible? It's be a real shame to lose our technological edge to free up money for condoms and the NEA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

post-feminist rimjob posted:

Nice straw man, but this project actually saves us money in the long run -- if we didn't incinerate our surplus money in a smoldering caldera, we'd have no choice but to use other, more expensive measures like manual shredding.

Next time, think before you post.

Huh, I guess you didn't read the article. It was going to be a joint venture with NASA, who was working on converting freshly processed dollars from the Mint into a low-efficiency rocket fuel.

Here's the article archived online: http://www.popsci.com/node/30794

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

airza posted:

There has been some talk of the money burning program with the energy burning program. For example, rolling all of our money in oil and then throwing it into the volcano. It has been suggested as an effective compromise and has enjoyed wide support in this news cycle, but typical Democrat partisanship is preventing it from reaching the Senate Floor*.

*All proposals for wasting equity have to be proposed by the Senate.

Airzie, Airzie, Airzie :( We had a thread on the energy hole no more than a month ago, and I demonstrated then that the energy hole just isn't in the same league as the current Megafire program, and hasn't been for decades. If you're going to keep carrying torches for outdated systems, the least you could do is present new data to support it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Goatstein posted:

Never happen. When I was in Iraq, stationed at FoB Striker (I was in a tour group for my honeymoon) I heard the local CFO giving the sitrep to the LGBT. Basically, the CFW prop is a matter strictly covered under subsection 23-Q of the DoD mani. Until that changes the CWD-b is strictly a 13-F.

Uh, are you sure you don't mean the CDW prop, Goatste? The CFW prop is AC/EP from 12-22 at the PMTCF, since '05 or so. Been IL/UV since before that. Seems odd that something with so much B-ON would still see frontline use, especially in a hi-pri zone like the ERS at Striker.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Triikan posted:

But that's an OH-6 Cayuse, not an Apache, or at least the civilian version of the Cayuse.

Reread the caption. Taken from an Apache, not of an Apache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Red Ken posted:

This picture worries me a bit. I don't like the idea of nations like India and China having the capacity for any kind of combustion technology even comparable to ours. It's well known that China is competing for our spot - isn't it possible that they would sell the secret of fire to unstable states or even terrorist groups? I really think we ought to take precautionary measures and burn all combustible material in Chinas, for the sake of world peace.

While this is a danger, you have to remember that the Greeks did this in the mid-90s. America responded with immediate sanctions, but Greece refused to halt its development. So the US began targeted airstrikes. Every day for three years a pair of V-22 Ospreys bombed targets rated to Greek surveillance and water treatment.