Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Saying no to the low offer is the character test. They want to hire assertive people who can accurately gauge their own value and won't be bullied.

Once hired, they'll expect you to try and apply those same principles when dealing with customers.

Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Nah this gave me shades of William Erhard seminar training/random creeper with a headset on stage type crap management style. Tried to rope me in with personal poo poo I gave out to see how he'd handle it and also loving negged me with saying I was overvalued and most developers are and that somehow you can have enough cash flow to cover these over-valued devs.

Which kind of implies they're not but okay...?

I thought culty rear end management was a bygone thing except for Amway.

Yeah this is don't touch the poop poo poo dude.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Posted my stuff in the spreadsheet. I hope programmers are allowed and not just pure IT stuff. :ohdear:

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Threw my name in the spreadsheet. I'm like one of the Bob's from Office Space, basically.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Posted my stuff in the spreadsheet. I hope programmers are allowed and not just pure IT stuff. :ohdear:

Here is cool, but there is also a programmer specific thread in Caverns of Cobol

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Neo_Crimson posted:

At least in my opinion, "Information Technology" encompasses software development as well as infrastructure support, and all the associated support roles like PM, QA, BA etc.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Job Posting:

Job Description: Systems Administrator (junior-mid)
Note: Requires Secret Clearance or above

A bit about it: This is a position I requested created as we've grown a lot in my tenure. We're a Windows shop; and our primary team responsibility is software development to support the congressional budget. However, this role and my position support the IT infrastructure for the developers and our application.

That said, this position is supporting the IT infrastructure and supporting my role. We're Windows/IIS/.NET/MS SQL Server across the board, and maintain 3 sites across the USA. I'm in the process of trying to get AWS added to our contracts as well. We're a typical combination of infrastructure that has grown organically from a small group of developers acting as systems administrators (ugh) combined with a properly planned IT infrastructure. The position is being created to help with two issues: myself being a single point of failure in IT infrastructure, and the fact that my workload has grown a huge amount in my tenure. On top of that I'm trying to bring a bit more maturity, automation, and process to our network. Basically - a LOT of things happening, and we have the budget to support it.

Good things: I've been here 4 years. It's a good place to be; I genuinely like it most of the time. There is some telework. We generally get very little micro-management from our team leads. Lots of stuff to play with. High availability and clustering, SANs, DR planning. VPNs, network topology redesign in process. We maintain a security accreditation with the CIO office within a government organization; so there's regular security scanning, mitigation, documentation, and testing. Dont be expected to know ALL of that; but be prepared to have a finger in what you want to learn and take off my shoulders and/or get exposure with.

There's also a training budget; which I tend take advantage of regularly. It's pretty awesome. Oh and we dont manage email/exchange, or printers. And all our end users are software developers, most of which are exceedingly competent.

Bad things: It's government, so there's some red tape. There's a tendency for purchases to fall off the table when going from our office to the purchasing office; so sometimes we'll get exactly what we need when we need it, and sometimes we dont. It's almost a chess game getting what we need purchased before our licenses expire and/or project deadlines are due. But I'm working on managing this process with our project management office. Also this is mainly something I deal with so the position here will mostly deal with the possible fallout, but none of the budget management stuff.

Salary range: I'm waiting for confirmation on this from our recruiter. I find this company (we're contractors but very stable for contractors: again - I've been here for 4yrs now) tends to be fairly competitive in the field.

Contact: PM me here or post an email. I'll send you the recruiter information and the official job posting.

Walked fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 14, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

psydude posted:

We're working on putting together a req for another Security Engineer, which we desperately need. See this post for particulars about the company/team in general.

Position
Network Security Engineer/Consultant

Requirements
-Solid foundation in Cisco R&S
-Experience with ASA, Sourcefire, ISE, Palo Alto, or Splunk (general knowledge of all of them would be great, but we'd probably settle for expertise in one or two)
-CCNP of some sort (We're a Cisco partner, so it does matter), or ability to obtain one super fast
-Security+, CISSP, GIAC, etc. (Something else to put on your resume to impress customers during proposal bidding)
-People skills
-Bonus for scripting, programming, auditing, or penetration testing skills, but these aren't really necessary
-Ability to obtain a security clearance

Additional Information
You'd be working as a security engineer and consultant doing everything from hardware installation, to network design, to security assessments. Local and regional travel is fairly common (weekly), and you can expect domestic travel 2-3 times per year. The flip side to that is that your schedule is incredibly flexible: work from home as much or as little as you want as long as the work is getting done. The security team consists of me and 2 other guys, both of whom are awesome to work with. You'll also occasionally be thrown on traditional route and switch projects as the case may be, and there are opportunities to work in the other communities of practice (wireless, voice, etc.) to broaden your skillset.

Customers include everybody from nonprofits, to traditional commercial customers, to state and local governments, to three letter agencies. You'll see the full spectrum of competence and incompetence in IT in this job, so dealing with the people can be just as difficult as dealing with the solution itself. Consulting being what it is, you have to be comfortable with starting almost every project knowing nothing about the environment you'll be working in. With that being said, it's a great opportunity to learn (I've learned more in my 6 months here than I have in probably the last 4 years of working in IT) and tackle some challenging problems.

I put additional information about the company in the post linked at the top of this one, so click on that for more info. Feel free to PM me with any other questions ranging from quality of life to culture.

Compensation, etc
Again, check the link at the top for a full list. The pay is very competitive, and the rest of the benefits are good.

PM me if you're interested.

Reposting because we finally got the req approved. PM me for more info.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
My experience:

professional:
- 4+ years experience with deb- and rpm-based distributions
- some minor ldap and active directory administration
- minor solaris experience
- webservers, both nginx and apache; some very light iis and weblogic work
- deployment planning and release scheduling
- mysql server administration
- some experience with high availability and ocfs2
- bash shell scripting

personal:
- over a decade of daily linux use, from ubuntu to gentoo
- grsecurity and general server security
- freebsd server administration

What I'm looking for: a unix sysadmin position that allows me to both exercise my current skillset and also be exposed to new technologies and concepts.

What I'm NOT looking for: customer service, helpdesk, an unstable position or one with a company with a poor outlook.

Where I live: mid-michigan, east lansing area.

Where I'm looking: same area; just moved recently and am not looking to move again.

When I can start: more than likely within two weeks of the current date.

Requirements: insurance, 401k, competitive pay, a laidback environment (i don't want to have to dress up for work every day, i like being able to dress casually.)

Can be reached via: pm, reverie[at]draggi[dot]es, twitter

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 17, 2015

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Space Whale posted:

While we're scratching our heads on job apps:

Wanted: .NET / C# Developer with a heart of gold

Seems a bit odd - or is it just me?

Doing sitecore is like doing wordpress without the cache of having something a lot of people actually care about.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I've been decently happy with the company I work for now, but things are changing and not for the better. This place is VERY strict on attendance (as in, us developers have to clock in/out. Even for our lunch breaks), offers no flex time and no sick time. Oh, and do you have a doctor's appointment? Kid in the hospital? Emergency fire at the house or something? Well, we used to be able to come in early or stay late over the week to make up the time if we needed to leave early for a doctor's appointment, etc.

Then, HR nixed that! So you gotta take PTO. Oh, used up your PTO? Then if you have a doctor's appointment, you get to take unpaid leave. So far, my manager is okay with me coming in a little later and staying a little later on days I have my son and take him to school. But I gotta worry about just how long HR lets me get away with that. If they nix that, then I'm screwed (anything over ~10 minutes is late and earns you a write up. Get a few of those and you're canned. Even if you tell a manager way ahead of time).

I kinda need to find something else before bad poo poo happens. So...

Job Seeker

Who am I?: A full-stack LAMP developer. I have 5+ years experience developing with PHP, Javascript and I have strong MySQL skills. In addition, I use industry standard tech such as jQuery, SASS, Bootstrap. While not a day-to-day thing, I have written mobile apps for both the iOS and Android platforms (native code - Objective C and Java respectively, not something like Phonegap).

I have experience working in many different fields and so I feel I would be able to adapt quickly to any environment. I have worked in the advertising, medical, educational, correctional and non-profit sectors. I enjoy new and varied experiences.

Oh, and of course, I'm a tech nerd; So I have taught myself a decent amount of Ruby/RoR, C# and have toyed around with microcontrollers, the Rasbperry Pi and so on. I have experience writing apps with C# so I can come back up to speed with that.

What I'm looking for
A mid to senior web developer role. Ideally with PHP, but I am more than willing to learn whatever language(s) and tools are used by the company. And in the case of Ruby or C#, I'd be more than happy to refresh myself on those languages, assuming the company won't mind me having to take the time to come up to speed.

What I'm not looking for
General IT, Sysadmin stuff, technical support, etc.

Where I'm Looking For It
The Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater, Florida area. I'm based in St. Petersburg.

Requirements
Health, dental, 401k, - your typical stuff. Also, as a single parent, FLEX TIME is a must. When I am on the job, I will absolutely give you my 100%. But having to usher an autistic child out the door, to his school and fight nightmarish Tampa traffic means there will be some days where I end up coming in a little later than others. Work from home is a definite plus.

If your company is a real stickler for time schedules and reprimands you for being 1 minute late (I got a talking to for being literally 3 minutes "late" when I had to take my son to school in the morning - and I'm not the only dev that has been on the receiving end of these lectures.), we won't be a good match.

How to reach me: I don't have plat, so e-mail me at jmgolz AT gmail DOT com

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dolemite posted:

This place is VERY strict on attendance (as in, us developers have to clock in/out. Even for our lunch breaks), offers no flex time and no sick time.

Sounds like a contractor gig except with salary pay. gently caress all of that.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Hadlock posted:

Hell, it sounds like management thinks they're running a grocery store or some poo poo.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Hadlock posted:

That's not too far off. I'm actually hourly. But for some reason, even the salaried guys are subject to the craziness. They have even more reason to be pissed, some of them have been having to work weekends or do midnight deployments or server setups and stuff. Yet, despite that, heaven forbid you're late during the work week! Of course, we don't have officially designated schedules, so I'm not sure how can even *be* late.

Garrand posted:

Hell, it sounds like management thinks they're running a grocery store or some poo poo.

The sad thing is, that is just about what one of the other devs likened this company to. This place has some other weird rules.

The big one that springs to mind: "business casual" is defined as dress pants, shirt and tie. No khakis or polo shirts. Not even company polo shirts. But for some reason, jeans and regular t-shirts are OK on Fridays. That is, if you pay $2 for the privilege. Yes, that's right. You literally need to PAY to wear jeans. Since I can't stand dress clothes, I make sure to wear cat shirts, death metal tees and beat up Chuck Taylors or Vans.

I've never understood why the company has a hard-on for dress clothes during the week, but jeans and t-shirts are suddenly OK on Fridays. What's wrong with the other days? We aren't client facing. No customers will ever, EVER visit this building. They would be going to an entirely different building. In fact, this company takes the business "casual" thing so far that one time, there was a FUN TIME YAY :downs: costume contest. This was to be held on Wednesday.

After the e-mail from that event organizer went out, HR sent out a follow up to remind us that since it isn't Friday, business professional attire will still apply and anyone wearing jeans will be written up and sent home to change.

Another thing is our company's stupid values. Supposedly, you're supposed to memorize them, because the CEO in past has been known to stop the occasional, random employee and ask them to recite the company values (each letter in an acronym stands for a particular value). At least that part went away. Now, we just have a CEO that reminds us to STRIVE FOR THE BEST, STAND TALL, HOLD THE LIIINE (he quotes Gladiator often and even links Youtube clips from the film).

---

All that aside, the work is just plain mindnumbing. When I first got there, I actually spent the first few months doing nothing but doing report spreadsheets and content audits for incorrect verbiage. Right now, we're tied up in a project that involves working with...wait for it...Wordpress. We were going to do a mobile app at one point and the entire dev team was super stoked! Then, the higher ups decided to outsource that to a 3rd party that is not in any way experienced writing apps with our industry requirements in mind. (We're healthcare and subject to HIPAA)

This was outsourced even after we told our manager that we've all written mobile apps at one time or another.

tl;dr Company is crazy, being able to take care of family, freedom to go on doc visits or just have a better work life is non-existent. Totally un-challenging work and no opportunity for advancement.

(Although even the advancement sucks. Two devs will be getting "promotions". But, no pay raises. LOL)

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 20, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I worked at a company like that for about six months, tasked with updating their ecommerce website to modern standards. gently caress that. Last year I got an email from the owner begging me to come back saying that everyone had quit. Their website still looks the same way that it did in 2005.

Companies like that are just placeholders so you don't have any big gaps on your resume and to feed you until you can find something better. RUN!!

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

wwb posted:

Doing sitecore is like doing wordpress without the cache of having something a lot of people actually care about.

The cult leader acted like that's some amazing skills to start a career, maaaaan.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Dolemite posted:

How to reach me: I don't have plat, so e-mail me at jmgolz AT gmail DOT com

Just emailed you from my work account. I know a couple people from our Tampa office and they are solid. Putting you in touch with one.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Dark Helmut posted:

Just emailed you from my work account. I know a couple people from our Tampa office and they are solid. Putting you in touch with one.

Awesome - just replied. :)

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Job Posting - Framingham, MA
Technology Coordinator
Hi all, I just took a new job downtown and I'm looking to fill my current position ~20 miles west of Boston.
12 month position at a school district, work hours are 7-3pm daily.
It's a hybrid sysadmin/tech manager position, the workload on both is fairly light. Core network services only in house with SaaS offerings for all email, student productivity, etc. Respond to escalations from a technician, who was a student here and took a job after graduating. Do some basic purchasing, mostly end user hardware. Environment is awesome - gigabit internet, ubiquitous dual band wireless coverage, Hyper-V, iSCSI storage, Server 2012R2, the works. Need to know AD/DNS/DHCP with VOIP phone systems and Google Apps administration as big plusses.

Here is the posting: https://www.schoolspring.com/job.cfm?jid=2036514

PM me or reply here if you apply. Hiring very quickly as I'm out of here in less than 2 weeks.

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 22, 2015

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

jaete posted:

Hope this is the right thread for this.

I知 an EU citizen currently living in London, and I知 considering emigrating to the United States. Now obviously this would be a pretty major project. The biggest issue would be the visa.

I知 a software engineer with more than ten years of experience, having most recently spent over two years on big data projects. I知 looking for, ideally, Silicon Valley, but will consider other places as well.

From what I can gather, my most likely US visa options would be the following:

a) H1B: requires a bunch of luck to get (since they run out fast each year). Not sure how exactly this works - I think the big companies will apply for a bunch of these each year, then deal them out later to promising candidates; meanwhile smaller companies would have few or none available.

b) L1: need to work for the company痴 London office for at least a year before this becomes possible.

c) All the other options are less likely: have a lot of money to found a company with; get a short-time student visa or internship visa; or be a famous professor or such.

Assuming I find a company to sponsor my visa, the next thing to worry about would be a green card. This seems like something I壇 want clearly stated on the contract ("company agrees to start green card process immediately"). Apparently if I end up changing employers for whatever reason (such as getting laid off), with an L1 visa I知 screwed, while with an H1B I can change to a different employer but with the caveat that my green card process gets reset as well, if I知 understanding this right.

Are there any other feasible visa options for me besides H1B and L1? Anything else I need to know? Any good sources?

I can provide more details if that helps (probably via PM). On that note, if someone wants to hire me, please send me a PM as well. :)

So I've looked into this a bit more. It seems that some of the big US software/tech companies are in fact hiring people directly from the EU (and probably other areas of the world as well) into the US. They're working with the two main types of visas mentioned above, and from what I gather the processes are something like the following:

a) The H1B visa application period starts on the first of April each year, and folks have at least five business days to apply for an H1B. In practice five days is enough to get enough applications to cover the entire quota several times over. For instance, the official statistics for April 2015 were: 233,000 applicants total, 85,000 total visas granted. The selection method is random, so you'll just have to apply and hope for the best. Note that if you have a master's degree from a proper US university you get better chances but still no certainty.

What the big US company will do is, assuming you pass their interviews etc, they will make you an official job offer, then they'll do the paperwork and wait for the next time first of April comes around, and then they can submit your visa application. Then it takes between one and four months to get a reply back saying whether you happened to get a visa or not, and then some more months to actually get your visa and have everything finalised. I think in the meanwhile they will expect you to work in their local side office; which brings me to point b.

b) An L1 visa can be granted to someone who has worked in the non-US office of a US company for at least one year. The big US companies will do this for you as well. The L1 is just plain better than an H1B: there's no quota, so you are basically guaranteed to get one as long as you meet all the requirements and the company does the paperwork properly; once in the US you will get a green card much sooner than on an H1B visa; if you're a manager-type person (tech lead is enough - don't need to have direct reports) you can get an L1-A visa, which lets you apply for a green card after only 12 months of working in the US; and while you might get an H1B faster than an L1 (if you get your H1B on the first try), the L1 is just more predictable in how long it will take - probably 3-6 months after the initial 12-month period.

c) The H1B and the L1 still seem to be the only viable options if you're not a millionaire and if you want a longer-term visa that leads to a green card.

Overall the process is, not surprisingly I guess, pretty long and difficult. As long as you don't have a green card you'll have this sword of Damocles hanging above you; getting a green card will take at least a couple years in the best case (L1-A visa), so you'd better hope you don't get laid off or whatever during that time. (On an H1B you can actually change employers, though that resets (some) of your green card progress; on an L1 I think you're just screwed if you cease working for the sponsoring company for any reason.)

So, the best plan for a serious into-US-wanter seems to be to first become a manager or tech lead, then find a nice big cozy US company that is known to treat their employees well, make sure that they will support your L1-A application, work for a side office of said company for a year and a bit while excelling in your performance reviews etc and otherwise complying with company policies, and then you have your (non-horrible) visa. Pretty arduous, but possible.

(Edit: clarified some wording)

jaete fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 24, 2015

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Can anyone give advice on whether a cover letter is a good idea? Some people say it is, others say it is not. What's the general opinion here?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It shows you're putting effort into the application. At worst, they won't read it.

At least, that's my take on it. Most places I have applied have asked for one.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Super Dude posted:

Can anyone give advice on whether a cover letter is a good idea? Some people say it is, others say it is not. What's the general opinion here?

I personally think it's worth the 30-40 minutes it should take to write, assuming you have ever written one and have done a cursory amount of research on the place you're applying to.

Just make sure you at least spell/grammar check it. But yeah, it's not likely to help greatly and may be ignored completely. At best, as 22 Eargesplitten said, it just shows you're putting forth some effort, and I'm constantly surprised at how little effort some folks put into their applications.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

No Safe Word posted:

I personally think it's worth the 30-40 minutes it should take to write, assuming you have ever written one and have done a cursory amount of research on the place you're applying to.

Just make sure you at least spell/grammar check it. But yeah, it's not likely to help greatly and may be ignored completely. At best, as 22 Eargesplitten said, it just shows you're putting forth some effort, and I'm constantly surprised at how little effort some folks put into their applications.

Yeah, I can definitely write one, that's not an issue. I was just hesitant with a few applications because some companies have a separate upload for cover letter and resume.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

If an application requires I upload a cover letter I automatically close the tab.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Was there a guy that works for Computer Services Inc. in here? I'm probably applying to one of the positions they have open. I remember talking to someone about it years ago.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Added myself as a potential job seeker in Louisville ky. Please email pledgeapehouse at Hotmail.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Job Posting

Who we are
A large e-commerce company for home goods. We sell over seven million items and make several billion dollars a year.

What we're looking for
In short - Software Engineers. Of nearly all levels.

Know Java? Great! We have a place for you.
Know Python? Super! We have a place for you.
Know Javascript? Tremendous! We have a place for you.
Know PHP? Amazing! We have a place for you.

We look more for the ability to solve a problem than what programming languages you use.

We believe in the right tool for the job. We use tons of technology to do a lot of really cool things!

This ranges from gigantic servers to micro-services - From PHP website front ends, to storm topologies, to extensive big data systems.

We employ more than three thousand people.
We have more than five hundred engineers.
We are looking to hire on more than a hundred additional engineers in the next year.

We want you to be one of them.

The Good
* Flexible hours
* Great work / life balance
* Free snacks in the kitchen
* Monthly paid for outings for your team
* 3+ weeks of paid vacation
* Grants of stock that's worth something!
* Work with some really awesome people
* Tons of discounts on items off the site
* Competitive benefits
* Free tickets to tons of local events - See the Base Balls! Watch people dance!
* Education Reimbursement
* Learn new things all the time!

The Bad
* You'll probably at some point be working in a codebase written in PHP using an in-house framework. :smith:
* There's still a small amount of a legacy ASP codebase floating around that you will likely never see.
* Some of the practices we use aren't really the best in the world, but they aren't the worst either.

How do I apply
PM me if you're interested! I'll answer any questions you have, pass your resume along to whoever, all that jazz.

Edwardly fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 6, 2015

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Who are we?
Xantrion, a 50+ person MSP with clients primarily in the Bay area

Where are we?
Oakland, CA
What are we looking for?

Help Desk
It is not an entry level position by traditional standards. Need to have a working knowledge of Windows, OSX, networking, and mobile devices. We are looking to hire 3-4 people in the next 6 months for this role. Experience with Connectwise is a plus.

How do I apply?: PM

Anything else?
It is really a great place to work. 17 days of PTO plus holidays, employer paid healthcare, 4% 401k match with no vesting period, close to BART. The company was founded by engineers, and that mindset applies to many things. We have a lot of great clients and the best tools to take care of them. Everyone has a lot of autonomy, and there is always someone to bounce an idea off when you get stuck. Cool company/team trips and dinners. Paid testing and training materials for certs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Edwardly posted:

I've been hearing from your recruiters :v: But not for a dev role. Ironically you made it sound much more enticing than they did, though they did a decent job by recruiter standards.

(just changed jobs, not currently looking)

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Docjowles posted:

I've been hearing from your recruiters :v: But not for a dev role. Ironically you made it sound much more enticing than they did, though they did a decent job by recruiter standards.

(just changed jobs, not currently looking)

If you can PM me who I'll give them a talkin' to!

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Job Seeker

Who am I?: An aspiring Sys. Admin in need of entry level experience. I'm looking to get a hold of some sort of field technician or tier1/2 help desk post.

I have experience working in manufacturing medical supplies, customer service, online-store management, bench tech'ing, ranching and more. I have an extremely varied skill set with my work history which translates well to working with coworkers and clients.

I am a proponent of self study. Relevant study objectives I have accomplished/currently working on are HTML/CSS, and A+/NET+ Exams

What I'm looking for
Entry level work. I am flexible with job objectives but I'm looking for help desk/tech support positions as well as field technician jobs. I am no stranger to working in a cubicle nor hunched over tinkering inside a case or doing manual labor.

What I'm not looking for
Anything above tier 2 support.

Where I'm Looking For It
Northern NJ. I reside in Passaic county and I'm willing to travel an hour for work.

Requirements
Health, dental, 401k. I have no family ties so I am available to work whenever you'd need.

I do ask to be lenient with late times. I am very rarely if ever tardy, but I have been reprimanded for being literally 4 minutes late at a manufacturing plant first (and only) offense.

How to reach me: email tyler DOT preeve AT gmail DOT com

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Job Seeker

Who am I?:
An IT generalist systems administrator/engineer with 15 years of experience managing Windows environments who enjoys a good challenge. In addition to the normal Windows stuff, I'm well versed in Exchange, SQL, CRM, SharePoint, networking and firewalls, VMware, Hyper-V, EMC VNX and VNXe storage, and have spent the past 8 years or so heavily focused on overhaul and upgrade projects. The past couple years, in addition to handing engineering/admin duties, I took on more managerial/supervisory stuff like hiring/firing, project planning and management, sitting in pointless meetings, and writing policies and procedures. I am also intimately familiar with PCI compliance but have mixed feelings actually typing that.

What I'm looking for
Ideally, I want to correct course and head back down a technical path that has a focus on virtualization, storage, or possibly compliance/security. VMware is the most interesting to me, and I'm about to sit for the VCP5 exam in the next few weeks. At the end of the day, I am really looking for an environment where I am an expert on a particular discipline and not spread as thin as I have been in recent years.

What I'm not looking for
Helpdesk, desktop support, junior positions, overly-generalist situations, or MSPs (unless there is a senior/specialist role)

Where I'm Looking For It
Portland, OR and the surrounding areas. I could probably be convinced to move slightly farther away if the situation was perfect.

Requirements
Health, dental, 401k, decent PTO. Salary should be in the general range of $100k, give or take

How to reach me: Email me at cavepimp AT gmail

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Is it worth posting an unpaid internship position in here? I imagine most of us are experienced already and looking for paid work, but if not I have an opening at the ski resort I work for.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Colonial Air Force posted:

Is it worth posting an unpaid internship position in here? I imagine most of us are experienced already and looking for paid work, but if not I have an opening at the ski resort I work for.

For an unpaid internship in the wide ranging branches of IT, you're generally looking at bottom of the barrel college students, people who love ski resorts, or people with literally no education or training.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

baquerd posted:

For an unpaid internship in the wide ranging branches of IT, you're generally looking at bottom of the barrel college students, people who love ski resorts, or people with literally no education or training.

Yes, exactly.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
If anyone has Office365 migration and setup experience it seems my position is still being hired for. Salary around 70k, need firm knowledge in DNS, AD, some exchange and familiar with the ins and outs of O365. Secondary useful knowledge is familiarity with setting up ADFS.

It's a v- position so you need to go through a provider. Experis is the one I am currently contracting through.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

70k for Office 365 migrations?

Goddamn, how many users are we talking about?

Anyway, if wasn't already employed I'd definitely apply. My contract still has another year.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

70k for Office 365 migrations?

Goddamn, how many users are we talking about?

Anyway, if wasn't already employed I'd definitely apply. My contract still has another year.

70K is nothing. I've seen O365 consultant salaries in the 140K range. It's hot poo poo right now.

For Example:
http://www.nigelfrank.com/us/vacancy/118715/office-365-architect-engineer-95-140k-ms-gold-partner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So it's yet another "Learn Powershell, get paid fat stacks" things?