Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
found a new job

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

JOB POSTING

Who are we looking for?
-Forward deployed engineer (FDE) (2-3 available) and/or
-Site reliability engineer (1 available) (aka DevOps Engineer, Release and Build engineer)
-Mid-level software engineer (1 or more available)

Who are we?
-We are a 4-5 year old recently B-round funded start up in Silicon Valley making enterprise server configuration software. We have ~15 engineers out of about 50 people, plan to double that over the next 18 months. If you like the word "devops" we do devops. If you like the word "agile" we do agile.

Where are we?
We're based in Silicon Valley, California
-BUT
--Need an East Coast FDE, preferably near (400 miles) Atlanta, 40-60% travel
--For the Site Reliability Engineer, if you're good, willing to do full time remote
--Otherwise you'd be expected to move out to the valley
--Possibly you could work from Melbourne, Australia
--Possibly you could work from Portland, Oregon

Job responsibilities?:
Though the job will vary depending on your skillset, the primary roles include:
-Designing, building, bug fixing our app
-Designing, building, bug fixing our infrastructure
-Carte blanche to find and work on your own projects in between critical tasks

When?
-The job position(s) is/are open now and actively hiring

Skills?:

Essential-
-Good personality
-Actual, honest to god interest in nerdy stuff, actively learning new tech
-Able and willing to pick up new skills to complete new projects
-Must have excellent English skills
-Deep knowledge of at least one major programming language
-No US visa issues/requirements
-Must know Git
-For mid-level software engineer, 2+ years experience

Bonus-
-Experience with Docker, CoreOS, Kubernetes, Cadvisor, Prometheus (especially if you're applying for site reliability engineer!)
-Experience doing Enterprise IT in the last 5 years
-Experience doing Enterprise IT for bank/finance... ever
-Experience building Ruby on Rails apps
-Experience building Golang apps
-Experience building C# apps, specifically working with WinRM
-Willing to learn Docker, CoreOS, Kubernetes, Cadvisor, Prometheus
-1 year+ Operations/ IT Admin Experience
-Experience with front end programming languages such as javascript, angular
-Experience debugging javascript, angular
-Deep understanding of Git Flow
-Follows tech news, can speak more than two sentences about Edward Snowden, Julian Assange, Oracle vs Google, has a favorite programming language and can defend it
-Has some knowledge of blockchain technology, cryptographic hashing of files, etc (or can fake it)
-Experience with Tripwire or Tripwire-like products
-Experience with Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Salt, Black Duck, Service Now
-Experience using JIRA
-Experience using Atlassian Bamboo
-Experience with Azure, AWS, GCE, Softlayer, BGP+VPN
-Experience with ESXi 5.5, 6.x, Hyper-V

^^ these "bonus" items are all things I touch on a weekly, if not daily basis, you will build a good resume with these items (maybe)

Benefits include:
-Work from home wednesdays for FDE
-Work from home tuesdays and thursdays for Site Reliability Engineers
-Silicon Valley perks (free lunch, fun atmosphere, free beer in fridge, quarterly offsite barbeques etc)
-Fully covered health insurance, dental, optical for you + significant other
-9:20-5:20 work day, PDT (scrum is at 9:20 be there or be square)
-Pretty decent vacation + sick time

Contact?
-Shoot me a PM for email to send resume, and preferred job. I'll get back to you within 48 hours to setup a 10-15 minute meet and greet if you look like you might be a good fit for a proper interview. A link to your github as well if possible.

Your actual interview would include at a minimum, spinning up a CoreOS cluster using Vagrant and demonstrating a hello world web app running in a docker container in two languages: golang and ruby on rails, along with links to your github repos. Hello world web apps would need an automated testing framework and passing tests. Triple bonus points if they can talk to eachother using encrypted key pairs in some meaningful way.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 9, 2016

thistravel
Feb 17, 2006
JOB POSTING

Who are we looking for?
Network System Administrator to help with some admin tasks on a freelance basis, remotely. As a one off project.

Where are we?
UK but you will help with this remotely, it is already deployed so we are just integrating new technologies into the deployment.

Job responsibilities?:
I need someone to do some admin tasks such as
-setup a second VLAN for our wifi network
-setup unifi APs
-configure some shared/personal drives for users
-Configure Azure Active directory to allow SSO to various web apps and office 365.
-There may be some other jobs too, but I will be paying this hourly.

When?
20th June onwards outside office hours (GMT) We will need to find a mutually convenient time to do the admin tasks.

Skills?:
-Someone with experience in configuring Windows servers
-Sonicwall

I have some competence in networking and administration, so part of the job will involve training me in some of the routine tasks (removing, adding users etc)

How much will you pay?
I've never hired a freelancer to do this kind of work so just let me know how much you're expecting.

Contact?
-Send me a PM or email me my user name @gmail.com

thistravel fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 13, 2016

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
This seems like the longest of long shots, but is anyone hiring/know of anyone who's hiring systems engineers or architects in Amarillo, Texas?

I'll be moving up there in August for family, and I need to find a job as soon as possible. Dice is pretty dry and Indeed is full of truck driving jobs.

I'd also be interested in any pure-remote positions available. My background is in Windows systems engineering, and I've done a fair bit of platform-level architecture in the past couple of years, working for a major hosting company.

Resume on request, PM me or post here with your email address.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

JOB POSTING - A bunch of positions in Ann Arbor, Mi.

We're a four year old startup with more money in the bank than we've raised (cash positive!), and we need smart python engineers.

We're primarily a python shop, but we use some C, some javascript, other languages as requirements pop up. Good CS fundamentals preferred to language experience.

Preposterously big data, on the order of hundreds of terabytes, smart processing, and huge advances in network intelligence. We're looking for mid-level backend engineers, ops people, and systems folks. Ann Arbor preferred, Austin possible. PM me for details.

http://jobs.deepfield.com/

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I sent you a rambling email. The more I look at it the cooler it gets so I'll follow up with a resume on Thursday.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
JOB SEEKER

Laid off this week, so looking for a new position in Atlanta.

My experience: 5+ years starting at Linux System Administrator and working to a Information Security consultant. Decent at python, bash, powershell and ruby scripting, experienced with virtualization, penetration (app, OS, and network) testing, vulnerability management, compliance, risk advisory, configuration management, and a RHCSA, CISSP, and CCNA holder.

What I'm NOT looking for: Going back to front-line support
Where I live: NYC, but moving on June 21st, 2016 to Atlanta
Where I'm looking: Same
When I can start: Anytime after July 6th
Requirements: Full time
Can be reached via: PM, email my username at gmail.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

gently caress it I'm gonna go for the looong shot here

JOB SEEKER

My experience: 2 years, mostly helpdesk to be honest, supporting basic hardware software stuff over the phone and using remote support though I also have experience fixing desktops and laptops.
I know basic AD stuff, do some extremely light powershell stuff for work when it requires it and I'm trying to learn more linux using it as an OS on my laptop and setting up different servers on digital ocean. I'm also trying to learn some networking stuff but I might get some proper courses from school so I'm not super invested in that at the moment (Of course I'll learn anything any job requires :P )
What I'm NOT looking for: Hell I'm looking for anything at the moment
Where I live Helsinki Area
Where I'm looking: Helsinki area or remote if possible
When I can start: anytime though I have a months notice period
Requirements: Full time but I am also starting school part time in Fall so that needs to be accounted for (will be unavailable between 16-21:30 or thereabouts GMT+2 on Monday through Wednesday)
Can be reached via: email urgelos at gmail

I don't want to put too many details here because I think a guy I work with may be a goon, send me an email for proper contact details and CV in case this long shot gets any results :D

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

gfsincere posted:

JOB SEEKER

Laid off this week, so looking for a new position in Atlanta.

My experience: 5+ years starting at Linux System Administrator and working to a Information Security consultant. Decent at python, bash, powershell and ruby scripting, experienced with virtualization, penetration (app, OS, and network) testing, vulnerability management, compliance, risk advisory, configuration management, and a RHCSA, CISSP, and CCNA holder.

What I'm NOT looking for: Going back to front-line support
Where I live: NYC, but moving on June 21st, 2016 to Atlanta
Where I'm looking: Same
When I can start: Anytime after July 6th
Requirements: Full time
Can be reached via: PM, email my username at gmail.

Is your move for sure? I work in NYC, but we have a HUGE HUGE HUGE client in Atlanta, so there's a reasonable chance someone moving to Atlanta maybe an option. If you are staying in NYC, then that's even better. I emailed you.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

JOB SEEKER

Currently employed but layoffs are in the near future.

My Experience: 6 years customer service experience, 2 years front line customer-facing technical support. 1 year of the support was in a VoIP SaaS company dealing with Enterprise clients, with some Linux/Asterisk programming.

What I'm looking for: Helpdesk or something similar.
What I'm NOT looking for: Call centers of any kind.
Where I live: Somerville, MA
Where I'm looking: Anywhere in the Boston area, if it's close-ish to a T stop that would be ideal but is by no means a requirement.
When can I start: Any time after a two-week notice period.
Requirements: Full-time. Health insurance would also be nice.
Can be reached via: PM, benderchan -at- gmail -dot- com

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is your move for sure? I work in NYC, but we have a HUGE HUGE HUGE client in Atlanta, so there's a reasonable chance someone moving to Atlanta maybe an option. If you are staying in NYC, then that's even better. I emailed you.

Any entry-ish levels in the Atlanta area for someone with a ton of helpdesk/customer service-type experience? I'm looking to move off to a job with more growth opportunities.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FuriousAngle posted:

Any entry-ish levels in the Atlanta area for someone with a ton of helpdesk/customer service-type experience? I'm looking to move off to a job with more growth opportunities.

Not for sys admins. Maybe for a developer, though, but that's not my team. Sorry.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Not for sys admins. Maybe for a developer, though, but that's not my team. Sorry.

Thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks anyway! I'll just keep my job radar up and running.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

JOB POSTING

We're hiring an RPG programmer woot woot. If this looks exciting to anyone, shoot me a message and I'll link you to the job offer. We're willing to relocate you to sunny and frozen Madison, WI.

quote:

Maintaining existing iSeries and legacy System 36 platform (written in RPG) ERP system.
Interpreting programming, troubleshooting issues, and making modifications to existing code to meet the company and user needs.
Architecting, developing, and implementing software programs to meet business requirements.
Leading programming projects that meet business needs.
Resolving and troubleshooting problems and complex issues.
Maintaining and making changes to existing databases in DB2, SQL and Access.
Creating new files and libraries.
Designing print programs and report formats.
Developing queries at the request of users.
Assisting employees in use of new procedures and programs.
Operating IBM Power 8 production and development environments, printers, tape drive and any other hardware peripherals.
Monitoring nightly job stream, automated procedures, setup, and ensuring everything is running properly. Making modifications if necessary.
Monitoring console controls and answering display message.
Correcting procedures if a job does not run properly.
Running monthly and quarterly reports.
Completing year-end procedures and preparing system for new fiscal year.
Backing up daily duties of the Programmer Analyst 1.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 25, 2016

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

JOB POSTING

I think this is the right thread for this but anyway. My company (smallish start up with 38 people) is looking to hire Salesforce Apex/Visualforce developers in the Boston area. Experience with Continuous Integration and Packaging a plus. Drop me a PM for more details.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
JOB SEEKER

Now officially in Broomfield, CO!

My Experience: 4 years of full stack C#/.NET/MVC stuff. Web Forms and Win Forms too. I'll even do VB.NET. I've used hg, git & TFS, done a little TeamCity configuration fun, and worked in both self directed and agile team environments.
What I'm looking for: C#, Java, or even Python work. I care about environment a lot more than the stack. More full stack .NET stuff is the easiest for me to jump into though.
Where I live: Broomfield, CO
Where I'm looking: Boulder or north Denver.
When can I start: Now
Requirements: Full-time & benefits; contracts that have a rate commensurate with the lack of insurance is fine. .
Can be reached via: PM, see underscore harmon at live dotcom

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
JOB SEEKER

Lansing MI would like to relocate (lol @ Lansing)

My Experience: RHCE Linux admin. Been working on RHEL clusters for 4 years with OCFS2, DRBD, and ha.d. I started as a linux admin doing t1 support at my current company and went through 4 job titles in 4 years landing 2 weeks ago as a senior manager of 40 people and 3 departments. Unfortunately my company was purchased by the living undead and I now need to sell my soul to them or find a new job.

What I'm looking for: I am looking for a technical position doing admin work on complex clusters but would like a place where I can advance my perl skills and get into more automation and eventually devadmin work. I'm organized and effective as a leader and would consider a technical PM or team lead position if it tied into my technical advancement. An example might be at a Uni where I could leverage free tuition.
Where I live: Michigan
Where I'm looking: Anywhere they have infrastructure for cyclists and bars.
When can I start: 2 weeks
Requirements: A clear path to accomplish my goals as stated and a total absence of inventors trying to flip the place on a 3 year pump+dump scheme.
Can be reached via: PM or in this thread.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Salt Fish posted:

JOB SEEKER

Lansing MI would like to relocate (lol @ Lansing)

My Experience: RHCE Linux admin. Been working on RHEL clusters for 4 years with OCFS2, DRBD, and ha.d. I started as a linux admin doing t1 support at my current company and went through 4 job titles in 4 years landing 2 weeks ago as a senior manager of 40 people and 3 departments. Unfortunately my company was purchased by the living undead and I now need to sell my soul to them or find a new job.

What I'm looking for: I am looking for a technical position doing admin work on complex clusters but would like a place where I can advance my perl skills and get into more automation and eventually devadmin work. I'm organized and effective as a leader and would consider a technical PM or team lead position if it tied into my technical advancement. An example might be at a Uni where I could leverage free tuition.
Where I live: Michigan
Where I'm looking: Anywhere they have infrastructure for cyclists and bars.
When can I start: 2 weeks
Requirements: A clear path to accomplish my goals as stated and a total absence of inventors trying to flip the place on a 3 year pump+dump scheme.
Can be reached via: PM or in this thread.

Want to work in Ann Arbor? Check my Deepfield posting just above.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok we're hiring again(!) Same page, even :(

You would be working directly under me as a junior QA person, bug testing, ticket verifying, nit picking, but also doing interesting(?) stuff like testing weird things like ssh connections to obscure network devices and dogfooding whatever weird broken crap my boss builds then forgets to test and stonewalling him before unleashing it upon our paying customers because bro do you even code.

No experience explicitly required, broad technical experience with linux, some degree of networking, scripting etc desired. Linking me to some particularly spergy posts about game bugs in your favorite game here would work as well.

JOB POSTING

Who are we looking for?
-Junior QA person

Who are we?
-We are a 4-5 year old recently B-round funded start up in Silicon Valley making enterprise server configuration software. We have ~15 engineers out of about 50 people, plan to double that over the next 18 months. If you like the word "devops" we do devops. If you like the word "agile" we do agile.

Where are we?
We're based in Silicon Valley, California

Job responsibilities?:
General day to day QA drugery stuff

When?
-The job position(s) is/are open now and actively hiring

Skills?:

Essential-
-Attention to detail. Are you a mouth-breathing nit-picker? Did they fix/not fix that minor bug in the last patch of your favorite game? I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT
-Good personality (may conflict with above, I can work around this)
-Actual, honest to god interest in nerdy stuff, actively learning new tech
-Able and willing to pick up new skills to complete new projects
-Must have excellent English skills
-Deep knowledge of at least one major programming language
-No US visa issues/requirements
-Must know Git

Bonus-
-Experience with Docker, CoreOS, Kubernetes, Cadvisor, Prometheus (especially if you're applying for site reliability engineer!)
-Experience doing Enterprise IT in the last 5 years
-Experience doing Enterprise IT for bank/finance... ever
-Experience building Ruby on Rails apps
-Experience building Golang apps
-Experience building C# apps, specifically working with WinRM
-Willing to learn Docker, CoreOS, Kubernetes, Cadvisor, Prometheus
-1 year+ Operations/ IT Admin Experience
-Experience with front end programming languages such as javascript, angular
-Experience debugging javascript, angular
-Deep understanding of Git Flow
-Follows tech news, can speak more than two sentences about Edward Snowden, Julian Assange, Oracle vs Google, has a favorite programming language and can defend it
-Has some knowledge of blockchain technology, cryptographic hashing of files, etc (or can fake it)
-Experience with Tripwire or Tripwire-like products
-Experience with Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Salt, Black Duck, Service Now
-Experience using JIRA
-Experience using Atlassian Bamboo
-Experience with Azure, AWS, GCE, Softlayer, BGP+VPN
-Experience with ESXi 5.5, 6.x, Hyper-V

^^ these "bonus" items are all things I touch on a weekly, if not daily basis, you will build a good resume with these items (maybe)

Benefits include:
-Work from home tuesdays and thursdays, work in downtown SF on Wednesdays
-Silicon Valley perks (free lunch, fun atmosphere, free beer in fridge, quarterly offsite barbecues etc (we're going bowling on Friday))
-Fully covered health insurance, dental, optical for you + significant other
-9:20-5:20 work day, PDT (scrum is at 9:20 be there or be square)
-Pretty decent vacation + sick time, I'm going to portugal next month
-Work with at least two other goons (this may or may not be a bonus)

Contact?
-Shoot me a PM for email to send resume, and preferred job. I'll get back to you within 48 hours to setup a 10-15 minute meet and greet if you look like you might be a good fit for a proper interview. A link to your github as well if possible.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
JOB SEEKER

Living in Brooklyn, open to other boroughs (I drive)

My Experience: Currently working in telecom and networking (minor) for edu-health. They do tuition reimbursement so I have a net+, sec+, and I'm taking courses for an Android Nanodegree. Before that I was on the help desk. Experience in college-level coding/scripting/web design.

What I'm looking for: Either entry level android dev or telecom focused around Avaya CM or a CS1000
What I'm NOT looking for: Call center/help desk/sales
Where I live: NYC
Where I'm looking: NYC
When can I start: Ideally a month; 2 weeks if pushed
Requirements: 401k/403b, a lot of vacation days, health care
Can be reached via: PM. Thanks!

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
JOB POSTING

We're looking for a web developer at a research center at UW Madison:

https://www.ohr.wisc.edu/Weblisting/External/PVLSummaryApply.aspx?pvl_num=86880

NOTE: The deadline is tomorrow, but if you're interested in the job and can get the an app in this week, go ahead and submit one. It's even possible that submissions later than that would be considered. In the past, we have had much more trouble getting good applicants than we have had winnowing down the field, so don't be shy about applying if you think you're interested.

What we want
We're more interested in getting knowledgeable and talented programmers than we are in finding someone who checks off every buzzword exactly. Some web development experience is pretty important to have, but it doesn't have to be in Rails, as long as you are willing to learn it with a minimum of supervision. We just don't want to have to start from scratch explaining what a web server is, how MVC works, or how to use a relational database.

If you have some science background relevant to the center's mission, that can help. In the past, we've considered programmers with a little bit of science knowledge, and scientists with some programming experience. I'm not sure if we have a preference this time around, so don't feel like relative weakness in one area will exclude you from serious consideration.

$
The minimum pay is just that - the minimum. If you have some experience and decent qualifications, you can certainly ask for more than that. However, it is a university job, so you won't be getting rich. The benefits are still pretty good, all things considered, though our current governor seems hell-bent on making public employees' jobs/lives suck.

The work
The center exists to do some pretty cool science, but our job has been to do fairly mundane software support. It's possible that some actual scientific programming will come down the pipe in the future, but I've been here almost 4 years, and I've never had to bone up on my college biology for work. Our main project has involved creating an app to track results file metadata. Our secondary app is sort of an inventory system, and the developer who just left made a third app that seems a little more involved, but I haven't hacked at it yet, since it may eventually be folded into another app from a partner institution.

The tools
It's an academic environment, so there's a decent amount of flexibility. The IT group only officially supports Windows and Mac, but I use a PC, and somewhat recently added a Ubuntu partition. I don't think I've booted into Windows in 2 or 3 months, but if you nuke your hard drive or can't find a printer driver for Linux, the IT group won't want to hear about it. You could probably get a Mac if you wanted, but I haven't tried.

All of our development to date has been in Ruby on Rails. I don't know of any plans (or reason) to change that. We recently upgraded our two main applications to Rails 4. There's no specific plan to upgrade to version 5, but we'll need to look at it eventually.

We use git for all of our source control. We were using SVN for much of it until early this year. We use Gitlab for most issue tracking, though one app is still on Trac. I'd be very open to trying out other tracking tools - neither of these really thrills me.

The work environment
So far, this has been a pretty relaxed work environment. 40 - 45 hours/week seems to be plenty to keep up with things.

I've liked working here, but there is some current drama within the group and the larger organization. Our group has a new manager, so nobody is quite sure what he'll be like (I've spent maybe 20 minutes with him total since he started last week). Further, the center is funded by a Department of Energy grant, and the recent grant renewal announcement had some surprises in it. So, the center may or may not exist after the current grant expires (another year or two), and if it does, it may not be doing the same research. That said, there are often several other development jobs available on campus, and this can be a good foot in the door for other opportunities (in fact, you'd be replacing someone who just bolted for another job on campus). Another possible source of drama: there has been some rumbling about making all of our code explicitly open source, and/or opening up our apps to external use. However, it's not clear that our funding agreement allows for this sort of thing, or that our code is likely to be useful to anybody else.

Right now, I'm the only developer on the team. So, the successful applicant will be working with me, under the new supervisor. There are sometimes student hourlies around, too, but I'm really trying to put a stop to that. I don't anticipate the team growing much in the foreseeable future*, so if you're not comfortable on a small team, well, this job won't excite you.

Due to cutbacks, our QA person is leaving this year, and won't be replaced. So, part of the new person's job will be doing QA on my code, and part of mine will be doing QA on theirs. It sucks, but the decision has been made.

So far, developers have had offices instead of cubes, but each office has two people (and a window). Whomever we hire will probably get put in the empty office next door to mine, though I can't promise that it'll be empty by the time they start. The building is new (we moved in in January of 2013) and pretty nice - very well lit, open, and airy. We share the building with some of the lab techs and scientists, so you get to see and interact with a variety of different people, not just other developers.

As I said, I've enjoyed working here, and being on campus is really nice. For the right person, this could be a pretty sweet gig.

* One way it could happen is if this team and the LIMS programming team were folded into one, bigger programming team. I hope this won't be the case, but it's one of the rumors I've heard floating around of late.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good luck with that job posting. Friend of mine is a web dev at the UW and makes 15k more than that just programming PHP right out of the computer science program.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

GreenNight posted:

Good luck with that job posting. Friend of mine is a web dev at the UW and makes 15k more than that just programming PHP right out of the computer science program.

Thanks. I think.

You realize the stated minimum is actually a minimum, right? The PVL for the job I have also had a 50K minimum, but I started well above that (and above what your friend is making doing PHP).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Right, but reading that and your post I can't imagine you'd offer someone 10-15k more than the minimum.

It was more about how other departments at campus are offering much better salaries for less skillful work, and both are programming jobs.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

GreenNight posted:

Right, but reading that and your post I can't imagine you'd offer someone 10-15k more than the minimum.

I started at more than 15K above that minimum. I wish they would just give the whole salary range on these stupid position announcements, so at least you know what's possible. For example, I applied for one last year with a range from ~40K to ~115K. (They offered me within $100/year of what I'm making here, so it didn't make sense to switch.)

Edit: But you're right, that this isn't a good job for money-driven workaholics looking to retire at age 50. If you want to be involved in doing science for the public good, want to have a life outside of work, and want to make a decent wage while doing it, then it may be for you.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 5, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That makes sense. But yes, might get some more candidates if it wasn't just a minimum showing.

And no. Money driven workaholics should work at Epic.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

GreenNight posted:

Been there, done that, got on meds.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

GreenNight posted:

That makes sense. But yes, might get some more candidates if it wasn't just a minimum showing.

Hah. There's a job posting about 20-30 minutes away from me looking for an Epic DBA for a hospital. I interviewed, but it's in bumfuck nowhere and it's 100% support - I'm trying to get away from support and into analytics myself.

They were willing to pay top-dollar though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

kloa posted:

They were willing to pay top-dollar though.

What was the range?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Peristalsis posted:

Been there, done that, got on meds.

At some point you should get plat so I can pvt message you.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

What was the range?

80-90k for someone with no knowledge on Epic (myself). Not sure about pay for people with real experience.

Airflamer
Jan 21, 2012

wow that story was super amazingly awesome, im not even joking right now

Grimey Drawer
JOB SEEKER

I live in Duncan, SC. It's near Spartanburg and Greenville, SC

Education: Bachelor's in Computer Science
My Experience: None, just graduated. Help Desk type support and some small System Admin stuff from my current job.
What I'm looking for: Anything Entry Level and Development
What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk, Phone Center
Where I live: Duncan, SC
Where I'm looking: Anywhere within an hour's drive
When can I start: Two weeks after I notify my current employers
Requirements: Full Time, preferably daytime
Can be reached via: PM or bennett.cpp at the gmail

Veteran if it helps. I've been working the last seven years as a night shift Security Officer and recently have also been working as an IT Assistant at a small company during the day. :shepicide: I'm ready for a (more) normal life.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I guess it can't hurt to toss it out here too. I'm getting worried at the financial health of my employer and extremely over taking on more and more responsibilities with no recognition.

JOB SEEKER

edit: no longer looking

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 19, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My experience: 5+ years of all sorts of coding. Majority of that time spent doing a wide variety of in-house work but past 2 years a lot of freelance stuff.
What I'm NOT looking for: A 9 to 5.
Where I live: St. Louis.
Where I'm looking: Anywhere I guess. As a freelancer, we work out specs, sign a contract, I deliver a finished project. Which really means...I don't need to be local to you.
When I can start: Pretty much any time...depending on length of project.
Can be reached via: PM or my username at contriving.net.
What I'm looking for: Freelance shortish jobs.

I've been building lots of REST API's for apps and sites the past 12 months though I didn't really set out to get that kind of work. I enjoy it though so if your app or site needs such a thing I'm your guy!

I also enjoy building web sites with React + Redux. I'm not a designer, but I can certainly make a nice enough looking thing with whatever frontend framework like Bootstrap, Foundation, material-ui, etc. Or I can do the "frontend-backend"...aka build the Redux portion of a React app. I've done this type of work a couple of times recently. I build the backend on Django + DRF and the Redux portion of the frontend to interact with the server backend and the company that hired me handed it off to their internal designers to build components on top of. Worked out well.

I've also done a decent amount of web scraping work as well as automating line of business apps with tools like AutoIT.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
JOB SEEKER

Education: Bachelor's in Computer Science
My Experience: 4 years as HMI (read: UI) developer for machine tool manufacturer. Working on a very small team so I have a large role in defining the interface between the visualization layer, coded in .NET, and the control layer.
What I'm looking for: Full-time developer position in a company where software development is a primary focus/end product. Up-to-date dev tools and methodologies. Diverse work environment.
What I'm NOT looking for: Startup culture
Where I'm looking: Boston, MA or surrounding area
When can I start: Mid-September
Requirements: Full-time
Can be reached via: harrison (dot) paine (at) gmail

Current position is developing the HMI for a 2D laser cutting machine, which is about a 20/80 split between UI and backend development. Most of the backend work consists of parsing and analyzing CNC code, managing communication between the machine and its peripherals via various interfaces (OPC, file transfer over TCP, other semi-proprietary protocols), and developing internal tools. UI development consisted mostly of kludging around our parent company's Windows Forms based UI framework. 95% of my work has been in C#/.NET with some small forays into C++/COM interop, so that would be preferred, but absolutely not a requirement.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Would this thread be optimal place for someone seeking a SaaS sales position?

Wasn't sure since I didn't see any of those on the spreadsheet or in recent posts.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I mean, it wouldn't hurt :haw:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
JOB SEEKER

Education: Self-taught
My Experience: 2 years on-site for big box store, 2 year doing repair work at a mom-n-pop place, 2 years helpdesk at a 200 person co (half users split between 2 offices, other half remote)
What I'm looking for: Full time help-desk, growth potential
What I'm NOT looking for: [null]
Where I'm looking: Remote preferred, or Seattle/Dallas
When can I start: 2 weeks notice
Requirements: Full-time, standard benefits package
Can be reached via: PM or stuart@[username].com

I'm happy where I am but the helpdesk is overmanned, there's no growth potential in the company, and I want to escape CA. Remote/WFH would be preferred where I can move locations at my own pace, but a position in Seattle or Dallas would be acceptable as well.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
JOB SEEKER

Edit: I've moved on to other fields.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

:yotj: forgot to update this

kensei fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 26, 2016