Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

brc64 posted:

To try to make it easier to find openings in a sea of requests, I'm going to try to keep the first post updated with any currently posted positions. Should the positions be filled, let me know and I'll edit out the link.

EDIT: 10/23/2009 -- currently filled, will edit as necessary.

Thanks for the post.

vty fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

brc64 posted:

This is such a foreign concept to me that I'm having trouble believing it's even real. Do you have offices in Dallas? :v:

Honestly, I'm a little surprised (but completely happy!) that we're starting to get more job postings than requests, considering how few and far between job posting threads have been in the past. This is great! Again, please let me know if you find out if any of these positions have been filled so I can remove them from the first post.

We've actually had plenty of job postings in the past. I'd say more job postings by far than qualified Goon-applicants looking for work.

We previously had a job posting only thread, but it was never stickied and disappeared.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I'm on the market and curious if anyone had any contacts. I'd like to escape the weather of TX (San Antonio/Austin) but I may just have to lock it up and deal with it for a few more years.

I'm hoping to find a consulting/engineer gig. I'd really like it to be a small group, startup or perhaps a partner, but unfortunately I've not made too many of these sorts of contacts in Austin.

I've spent a lot of time at various large (enterprise and shared) webhosts throughout my career.

My experience: 6 years of Windows/Network administration ranging from general webhosting administration (IIS5-7) to IT Manager, to SMB consultant gigs. I'm familiar with Windows AD/IIS, backup systems (Commvault, BackupExec), Cisco ASAs (and of course general l2 switching/VLAN management, etc), and other various appliances such as Barracudas, Sonicwalls, etc.

What I'm looking for: I'd like an engineering role, or a break-fix admin role where I'm working on fun things.

What I'm NOT looking for: I don't want to sit around only responding to SCOM CPU alerts, nor fix printers.

Where I live: Austin/San Antonio, TX. I'd really like to escape the heat, but if you know of a position here that's great as well. San Francisco, Colorado, etc are all fabulous places that I would enjoy.

When I can start: A few weeks max.

Requirements: I'm flexible, although I really prefer the startup/SMB arena so this is a huge plus.

Can be reached via: PM, islangfiber on aim, admin @ vty.cc

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
One of the best moves I ever made was getting out of Florida (Tampa, which wasn't THAT bad) during the housing crash a few years ago. There were hardly jobs back then, I can't imagine it now.

Texas isn't too far, and it's been booming. It's where I wound up, although I'm tired as hell of the heat.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

dolicf posted:

Everyone starts with three weeks of PTO that can be used for either sick or vacation time as well as 2 personal days a year. We also get a bunch of holidays, but as we never close, it usually works out to a volunteer basis for these. Generally volunteering results in additional time off; I managed to total about 5.5 weeks of PTO last year.

This is a bit misleading, their policy is a bit strange (at least for someone who is accustomed to "Day 1, 5 weeks!". The PTO is actually 0 when you start and is accrued over your time with a maximum of 120 which you would hit after a year of employment. The maximum is to make sure that people use their PTO, else it will just sit at 120 permanently.

My point is don't get hired expecting to go on a vacation in the short term.

If you can work in Austin and not SA (SA is a disgusting place) then it's a fun company.

The Network Security positions are extremely simple at Level 1-2. We're talking interface no shuts, NATing IPs, writing simple F5/CSS load balance rules (:443, :80 to a pool) etc. If you have a CCNA you can pretty easily get onto that team. The Backbone team is the fun networking stuff, and is a pretty common vertical movement from Netsec.

Oh, Texas actually has one of the highest energy costs in America. RS is actually leasing datacenters outside of Texas due to this (ORD, etc). That along with Perry/Texas wanting to tax datacenters more heavily (this fell through due to Softlayer lobbying luckily; Texas House Bill 1841) is making it look less NOC friendly.

vty fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 19, 2011

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

skipdogg posted:

From reading reviews on Glassdoor is seems RS is a great place to get your foot in the door and move up, but not so great for experienced folks looking to move into more senior positions. Quite a few GD reviews mention below market rate, inflexible hiring terms, issues with management, etc.

I don't think it's too difficult to move up. You'll find some of 2-4 year people as supervisors, you'll find some 3-5 year people as Level 2 admins. It definitely feels like a clean slate place though - as in, your past experience once you're hired is barely looked upon. The way things are done are extremely specific to RS and a lot of times their policies will directly conflict with what you're familiar with from past organizations (especially hosts).

But it is extremely, EXTREMELY departmentalized. This was the biggest thing that I disliked.

Anyway, with that said, I absolutely loved the company. I'd never worked anywhere that seemed to care so much about its training and employee programs. I've recommended it to many people, which I've actually never done before. I've worked at a huge number of large webhosts, and most of them are so absolutely lovely it's disgusting. RS was the polar opposite.

Edit: I forgot, if you're not married and young and like to go out - don't let them convince you to move to SA. If you're married and settled down, SA isn't bad, it's cheap too. As a young single person, SA was the most deplorable place that I've ever lived. Montrose (Houston) and Austins east side (Chicon, etc) look like Ravenswood (Chicago) when compared to 99% of SA.

vty fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 19, 2011

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

dolicf posted:

vty is pretty spot on for the most part. I trust you were netsec prior? When were you with the company; I'm sure you'll recall that a lot changes very rapidly.

The day to day will vary based on the team you're in for sure; I can't speak to netsec on that front, though.

Don't put too much emphasis on what Glassdoor says about senior positions. It's not unreasonably difficult to move up and the company in general tries to be pretty transparent about the whole process. That said, at the very, very upper echelon (significantly higher than a senior sysadmin position) Rackspace historically hasn't had much to offer, though this is changing. Pay has been/is being adjusted for more senior level positions, though it still seems like the general consensus is that it's not quite what it should be.

For lower/mid level positions it's pretty good especially when you consider the additional non-monetary benefits.

Also, SA isn't that bad. :)

I was actually an Enterprise - Win guy, but I could've done just about every Linux/Netsec ticket there was. I've got a pretty varied background.

Comradephate posted:

I don't know what Ravenswood is, but I liked living in Montrose. :(

(no I am not gay)

I love Montrose! Mostly Agora and Poison Girl, but Montrose has the "urban" reputation (not the gay one, which I think was completely overblown). I used to live in the Museum District and loved it.

SA looks worse than 3rd Ward. How's that?

Ravenswood is a compliment. :)

Anyway, I've meandered this thread enough. Let's get some more job postings going (I need one!).

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Nevermind!

vty fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 27, 2011

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

EvilMoFo posted:

I would rather put my 10+ years of knowledge to good use.

What do you mean by this? Most of us came into IT with years and years of knowledge but without the experience nobody really cares. Or do you mean that you were in college for 10 years working on an IT degree?

You have to understand that most "IT" jobs- you're hired, given a desk, and expected to hit the ground running. An IT manager/whomever won't typically take the chance on letting a guy on day 1 of his first real job touch anything remotely worthwhile; and that's when the call/help desk ladder hopping comes into play.

Also, your location is critical. If you're not in a tech city, you need to move.

vty fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 27, 2011

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I'll be blunt, when someone (I did the same thing when I was a kid, I thought I could walk into an Admin job knowing how to run webservers) walks in and tells me that they know esxi and runs domain clusters and Exchange at home - I kind of sigh inside because I'm well aware that they likely have very little troubleshooting skills. Deploying networks is (typically) easy - it's the wealth of troubleshooting you've learned over your time in the (real) industry that is critical to my staff.

Knowing how to dcpromo, deploy snapshot, hw2vm things is obviously important, but the analytic troubleshooting you gain over a career is what is your real selling point.

Your only real selling point to me with doing things at home is that I'd like you more because you go home and study things outside of the scope of work.

The easiest industry to get into if you want a "JR Admin" position would be webhosting. HostGator, etc will teach you from the ground up and you'll have plenty of room to grow if you're good. Most webhosts also have pretty generic interview tests (how do I write this tsql query, what ports are X,Y,Z, what is an RBL). It's an easy 40k job.

But.. it's webhosting, it's a very niche industry and you might have a hard time getting out of it. If you can get with Rackspace, they have a huge number of departments and you can (eventually) move laterally around if you're more interested in other things. It's a great company in a terrible location.

The Big L posted:

As someone who is looking to get into IT and isn't tied down to any particular location, what cities would you categorize as being "tech" cities? I assume Silicon Valley and D.C. are up there, but are there any other locales that have a strong IT presence; especially for entry level / help desk?

The usual hot spots - SFBA, Denver, Seattle, Houston.. All those big cities. I'm in Austin, which thinks its a big city, but really apart from Dell/HP mid-senior level positions seem to be lacking, along with the pay ranges.

I see tons of NYC jobs posted in the job posting thread here, but I've never lived there and NYC almost seems like a foreign country to me - one of those places you don't look for work in unless you're already well connected and living there.

vty fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 27, 2011

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Most of these non-job posts should just be in the IT or how to be an alcoholic thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447793

vty fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 18, 2012

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

I like turtles posted:

I'm going through a recruiter right now that may have hooked me up with a python developer job - they're looking for Ruby developers too. Full relocation to San Antonio, etc. If you're a decent Ruby developer, and interested in TX at all, PM me and I'll hook you up with my guy, he seems to know his poo poo. Especially in that I had applied for these jobs cold before and never gotten a response, but got a phone interview the week he first contacted me.
If you don't have PMs, email at hijakk at the google mail.

Think long and hard about a move to San Antonio, I used to work at RS (great company) and left just to escape that hell hole. You'll only be an hour from Austin, but the cities are night and day. No job would ever bring me back there. Unfortunately I'm not too sure they have many developer positions in Austin, it's a small office.

The programmers work in the "dungeon" which is the bottom floor of the castle, and it seemed like a really cool place to work. It was much more personal than those of us on the top floors (engineers). Comic book characters, etc everywhere. They have a ridiculous number of developers and the company does have smart people.

vty fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 18, 2012

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

slightpirate posted:

Cross postin' from the resume thread. I'd like some notes on this, if you all would be so kind.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/78477762/draft_Goonedits2.docx

That resume does not flow well at all. You have half of the page to spread it out and provide your reader some breathing room between topics, give them that.

Also, I would suggest against being as specific as "Reset user passwords in Active Directory" and go for more of an abstract "Assisted users with day to day Active Directory/LDAP issues." Those of us who manage helpdesk/engineers are well aware of the day to day operations that a help desk is likely dealing with, but you're likely doing a disservice to yourself because that sounds like the whole of your AD experience when I'm sure it's not (or maybe it is).

I also hate the font. Or the font size. I don't know, something really hurts my eyes when reading it.

vty fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 10, 2012

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Soldat posted:

.mil

You've got 6 months, so I'd suggest you work on getting certified in some of the skill sets that you'd like to work with. It won't completely make up for experience, but if you've got that much time to dedicate to it non-stop you can learn an incredible amount.

You mentioned SQL- the new MSSQL 2012 MCSA is out and available, that would be a fantastic start into a DBA position if that still interests you, http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server-mcsa.aspx

Large webhosts such as Rackspace have small teams of DBAs that their sysadmin groups use for critical or extremely specific issues.

I'm assuming that you have a TSSC. If you move into a military town (Norfolk, Tysons Corner, DC, etc, a lot of places that suck) and get a run of the mill sysadmin cert (MCITP, RHCE) you'll have absolutely no problem finding a good paying job. When I was a kid I had to leave Norfolk (thank god) because every IT position required a TSSC/TS.

Best of luck to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I've done a lot of hiring from here and gotten a few guys work/interviews with some pretty cool places, if anyone around Austin (I'll leave, but I'm really picky) is looking for a syseng/netadmin jack of all trades type with tons of hosting/MSA experience let me know. I've been with RAX, HG, defense firms, etc., I've got incredible references. I'm definitely better at win systems, but I've done it all, and if I can't do it I'll buy my JNCIE/ORA buddies a few beers and they'll do it for me (actually we'll 1099 them but that's semantics).

I'm not interested in large corps (Lockheed Martin wasn't fun). I'm hoping some awesome game/app-dev firm full of people who don't know how to run a vsphere cluster need someone to deal with the 24-7-365 (7-9's!) muck. I'm completely willing to sacrifice some pay if it means I can ride my bike to work and run around in shorts and sandals and not brown khakis.

I think a coworker of mine may have upset a big client right before renewal and we may be losing them soon. Which means my boss probably can't afford me anymore. Everything must go (starring vty and not Will Farrel this time)!

vty fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 30, 2012