Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Midelne posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that until the economy unfreezes this thread could probably use all the clutter it can get.

Yeah, go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Boink

Cidrick fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 21, 2011

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Who are we?
E-Commerce Division of a large retailer

Where are we?
Downtown Chicago IL, right in the middle of the Loop.

What are we looking for?
RHEL ninjas. We're the systems engineering team and we're responsible for 1200+ servers in our data centers, about 80% of which are running RHEL 5.3. Bonus points if you know AIX, Solaris, or Windows Server, but these aren't 100% necessary. I'm not going to put down that you need 5+ years of RHEL experience or a bachelors degree in any particular field. If you're good, we want you, but be prepared for a very technical interview.

Please also be familiar with VMWare ESX. You don't have to be godly or anything but we expect you to be able to hop onto a VCenter box and do basic poo poo.

What are we not looking for?
People who need hand-holding. Self-reliance is crucial because you'll be on call sometimes and being able to put your head down and just figuring poo poo out is something you'll need to be able to do.

How do I apply?
Shoot your resume to matt@cidrick.org

Anything else?
It helps to be a huge nerd. Our department consists of a bunch of nerds that drink and play WoW together. Not to say that you won't get in if you don't play WoW (we have many that don't), but keep in mind the type of people you're going to be working with.

Also, you'll be in the on-call rotation. Right now we're on a 6-week rotation so you'll be on call for one out of those 6 weeks. You'll have to put up with 3AM phone calls on occasion, but we're pretty good about comp time and work-from-home days so it's not like you'll be worked ragged or anything.

Finally, Black Friday weekend is no joke. We go on an infrastructure and code freeze beginning in November, and EVERYONE is going to be on call the week of Thanksgiving. Be prepared to bring your blackberry and laptop to Turkey Day Dinner.

Cidrick fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 21, 2011

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
I'm re-posting this since a new position has opened up on my team. The requirements are largely the same but it's pretty hairy right now as we're reaching peak holiday retail season, so keep that in mind.

Cidrick posted:

Who are we?

Where are we?

What are we looking for?
RHEL ninjas. We're the systems engineering team and we're responsible for 1200+ servers in our data centers, about 80% of which are running RHEL 5.3. Bonus points if you know AIX, Solaris, or Windows Server, but these aren't 100% necessary. I'm not going to put down that you need 5+ years of RHEL experience or a bachelors degree in any particular field. If you're good, we want you, but be prepared for a very technical interview.

Please also be familiar with VMWare ESX. You don't have to be godly or anything but we expect you to be able to hop onto a VCenter box and do basic poo poo.

People who need hand-holding. Self-reliance is crucial because you'll be on call sometimes and being able to put your head down and just figuring poo poo out is something you'll need to be able to do.

How do I apply?
Shoot your resume to matt@cidrick.org

Anything else?
It helps to be a huge nerd. Our department consists of a bunch of nerds that drink and play WoW together. Not to say that you won't get in if you don't play WoW (we have many that don't), but keep in mind the type of people you're going to be working with.

Also, you'll be in the on-call rotation. Right now we're on a 6-week rotation so you'll be on call for one out of those 6 weeks. You'll have to put up with 3AM phone calls on occasion, but we're pretty good about comp time and work-from-home days so it's not like you'll be worked ragged or anything.

Finally, Black Friday weekend is no joke. We go on an infrastructure and code freeze beginning in November, and EVERYONE is going to be on call the week of Thanksgiving. Be prepared to bring your blackberry and laptop to Turkey Day Dinner.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Re-posting since one of my bros is leaving his position on our team to move closer to his family :qq:

Who are we?

Where are we?

What are we looking for?
Linux Ninjas. We're the systems engineering team and we're responsible for 2000+ servers in our data centers, about 90% of which are running CentOS/RHEL. Bonus points if you know AIX or Windows Server, but these aren't 100% necessary. I'm not going to put down that you need 5+ years of RHEL experience or a bachelors degree in any particular field. If you're good, we want you, but be prepared for a very technical interview.

Please also be familiar with vSphere. You don't have to be godly or anything but we expect you to be able to hop into vcenter and do basic stuff like creating a new VM or hotplugging additional resources to an existing guest.

How do I apply?
Shoot your resume to matt@cidrick.org and I'll forward it on to HR.

Anything else?
It helps to be a huge nerd. The guys you're working with all have varying levels of nerdery, but if things like playing with new converged network blades or testing out setting up a new ipxe/kickstart environment doesn't seem like fun to you, you're probably not for us.

Finally, Black Friday weekend is no joke. EVERYONE is going to be on call the week of Thanksgiving. Be prepared to bring your blackberry and laptop to Turkey Day Dinner.