Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingDutchman
May 26, 2005
Skyway wanderer
Not to derail too hard, but I was thinking the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingDutchman
May 26, 2005
Skyway wanderer

d3rt posted:

My department is looking for a Snr. server admin - https://corporate-perquest.icims.com/jobs/3994/job

We're a small team but we're a cool bunch (not goony) and the Director of IT is a nice guy.

Downtown Oakland, CA

Could you shoot me an email or message on AIM/MSN? I have some questions about this. Thanks!

TheFlyingDutchman
May 26, 2005
Skyway wanderer

traveling midget posted:

jobs

Oh God emailed you.

TheFlyingDutchman
May 26, 2005
Skyway wanderer
And here I thought it was only me and bisticles that work for big blue!

On a related note, I may be posting something soon for my current gig (systems admin stuff) that will most likely be in Littleton, MA. I'm heading to another position within the company, and I'm not sure yet if I'll be looking for my replacement yet or not.

Good to see another IBMer on here, though!

TheFlyingDutchman
May 26, 2005
Skyway wanderer

kimbo305 posted:

Like any other profession, it's regional and cyclical. I think on the whole, it's pretty easy to get a job in software engineering right now, compared to some other jobs.

That said, I would say most engineers at IBM are working closer to 40/week than 60/week. When I was there I was part of a really hardcore, really slave driven team and I still rarely broke 50/week. Bigger companies are usually better about hours than smaller ones.

It's a tough decision to make, I'm sure. If your wife is motivated and competent, she should be able to find some job without too much trouble. I have no numbers to prove it, but I feel like it's easier to get an entry level programming job than it is to get a residency. Pay is a different matter, of course.

You must have been on easy teams. In the past several years at big blue, I have only had a couple of 40 hour work weeks -- everything else is 60ish. I know many of my users (software engineers) also work as many hours as I do, and don't have normal lives (aka bring work on vacation, work until 11pm every night and start at 7am, etc.)

TheFlyingDutchman
May 26, 2005
Skyway wanderer

brc64 posted:

The job I'm currently talking a recruiter about is a W2 position. He explained that my paycheck would come from the recruitment company (is that normal?). He was also really vague about time off, saying that there is no paid time off, but I would still be able to schedule unpaid time off if I needed...

I understand that benefits in general are more complicated with contract work...

If you're going through a contracting company, it is entirely different than being an independent contractor, which was described above.

Your paycheck will come from your contracting agency, and they should be withdrawing taxes and such from your checks. There are some cons to contractors, mostly revolving around them being shady. One thing you should ask them is how much they're charging the client an hour for your time.

Other than that, there are good contractors and bad ones. The bad ones are the ones who don't provide you with benefits (insurance, retirement, pto, etc.).

I have worked for a couple of different contractors so far, and my experiences with them has been good.

TheFlyingDutchman
May 26, 2005
Skyway wanderer

wintermuteCF posted:

I have an EXCITING job opportunity to share with you! It may be entry-level, Tier 1 helpdesk. It may also have no benefits or sick/paid time off or holidays. It may also be contract work with a short duration. But it's PERFECT for someone like you!

(this is my mockery of how Robert Half Technology seems to do their recruiting)

Edit: Maybe you should just start selling flash drives or something.

If they don't do something like this right away, then they certainly do after you have to take their stupid "assessment" test. I have never seen anything so stupid and so mundane in my life at all. "Oh, you have ten years of Windows server experience? Here, take this test!" The test will ask you questions that literally NOBODY uses or knows about(who in the hell actually uses RRAS?). "Oh hey, you scored low on all these parts, but we know we didn't ask you anything important. This will be a hard sell, so we'll need to drop the pay a bit. Don't worry! We'll sell you! We're good!"

gently caress Robert-Half Technology and gently caress every single fuckhole who works there.

TheFlyingDutchman
May 26, 2005
Skyway wanderer

Duro posted:

Ok, so I applied for a job at IBM in their in-house legal department, and they sent me an e-mail asking me to complete an online proficiency exam....

Has anyone ever had to do this? I hope they aren't technical computer questions because it would have absolutely nothing to do with my job and I'm sure as hell not some computer whiz

As someone that has worked for IBM, that test means absolutely dick. They don't actually use it for anything, and most times it is given to you AFTER you have received an offer. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Take it drunk is my suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingDutchman
May 26, 2005
Skyway wanderer

psydude posted:

How much gently caress you money are we talking about here?

If it's one of those "Need a CCIE to recalibrate satellite dishes" then it is "gently caress you" money from the company. Aka I could work at a grocery store and make more. THAT is gently caress you money.