Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

A friend of mine just got laid off where I work so if anyone is looking for someone with junior level PHP experience and lab/systems experience (linux preferable) in the Seattle area send me an email at abi@abirendon.com and I'll forward it on to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

fiddledeedum posted:

Position: Senior Network Engineer

Who are we: Bioware/EA, specifically the Bioware Austin studio that is producing the MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic http://www.swtor.com

This would totally be a cool job that I would apply for if I wasn't already working at a great place that pays well. Good luck finding someone and with the project!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cavepimp posted:

Just wanted to mention that we're still looking for a few more people/companies right now.

Not trying to threadshit or anything but maybe you should move this kind of stuff to SA-Mart. What you're doing isn't a job you're selling your service to people that want to resell that service. Sure you're giving people the opportunity to make money but it's not really in the spirit of this thread. What you're doing is akin to those "sell fruit juice for profit" type "businesses".

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

Since March i made, after shunting through paypal and currency conversion, 7100 €, allowing me to live quite comfortably. I think, on average, i've worked 4 hours per day, including weekend. The pay comes in weekly for the week before and is stored in the oDesk system until you transfer it out. Each transfer costs a little (1$ for me), which is why i transfer only every two weeks.

Are you saying you are making about 10,000 USD for 7 months of work? Sounds like you're getting shafted... by my quick math you're making about 12 dollars an hour, if your 4 hours a day estimate is correct. You can find an entry level development job, if you're skilled at it, that pays well above that.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

First off, I'm in the rear end-end of germany as far as technology goes, so no, around here i won't even find entry-level jobs that don't utterly suck and require Java at the local polytech.

Also, the hours thing was a rough estimate and i overshot. Here's an exact timeline with more numbers:

http://drop.io/jzsdlci

Knock yourself out. :)

Sorry I didn't mean to come off like I was attacking you or anything. I'm just saying that you're making very little yet you're making it seem like this is a great job opportunity. You're also not taking into account taxes etc., when I work contract I do it at $100 an hour because of taxes and other crap I have to deal with.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

position filled

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 5, 2010

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

We filled the position we had open, unfortunately didn't hire a goon.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

bossy lady posted:

I've been asked to name and explain the 7 layers of the OSI model on a job interview before but I'm not sure how common it is. That particular interview had a lot of technical questions though like explaining how buffer overflows work etc.

I ask stupid technical questions like this when I do tech interviews, usually I'm just trying to find out if you're going to bullshit me when you don't have an answer off the top of your head. Also it tells me if you're able to use logic and questions to figure something out.

Though that's only a small part of the questions I'd ask during a technical interview, mostly it's just simple stuff about common features and how they work in servers, routers, switches and firewalls. I expect people to be excited about these topics and share a lot more than just an answer to my questions.

If you have an interview with the CEO just expect him to get a feeling of who you are, unless it's a super super tiny company the CEO wouldn't be doing the technical part of the interview. Be conversational and make him like you.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bardlebee posted:

It's near impossible to get in there, at least I have had little luck and my resume certainly outclasses the jobs I applied for. I even had a few friends try to say something for me.

Dunno man, maybe its just me, but Rackspace has kinda made me bitter with their nepotism.

Keep in mind if your resume is really great and you have a lot of experience they might not want to hire you because you'll cost them too much and that's not the type of person they're looking for. I know personally when I've had openings for lower end techs I tended to ignore/throw out the resumes that have lots of experience because I was looking for guys that would work cheap and wanted to get experience.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

brc64 posted:

This is why I wish people like you were in charge of screening resumes instead of HR departments. I'm coming up on 8 loving years of experience, but my resume is getting tossed in the trash most places because I've only got an Associates Degree. I'm in the middle of working to resolve that, but with a full time job, it's going to take me several years to get there.

:sigh:

Is it really that hard to find work with just experience? Don't you work with recruiters and stuff to help you get in the door?

I don't have any kind of degree or school past high school but when I was looking for work a few years ago I know that Amazon wanted me bad enough to basically harass me by phone for a couple months just based on 5 years experience. Maybe the problem is where you live? Your resume could use some touching up? It may just be a matter of getting in the habit of establishing a conversation with recruiters instead of just doing an email blast to try and find work?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

brc64 posted:

I think you're the first person I've ever seen have a positive thing to say about recruiters. Most people seem to think they're slime. Is there a particular group you recommend?

I don't mean to imply that recruiters aren't slime, I'm just saying that sometimes you have to work with them. I've definitely gone on a few terrible interviews setup by recruiters that wanted to place a warm body. But I was mostly talking about working with recruiters for large companies like amazon and microsoft who have their in house guys who work to try and place you.

If you have the years of experience you should be able to use connections on linkedIn and friends who might work for those companies to get you in the door. I have had luck using dice.com and other sites like that in the past. However I've also helped people get interviews by contacting recruiters I've personally talked to in the past about work for myself.

I'm just saying that because I don't have any schooling whatsoever I've had to find ways to actually talk to someone so that I can get an interview. As opposed to having some HR drone filter me out because I don't match the criteria. (though I suppose that's what this thread is for)

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Networking is super important -- some number of years ago I was able to convince the right people at a local Linux User Group that I was qualified to be a senior Linux admin over 750 machines, when my actual non-Windows professional experience involved managing a Debian Xen host and three FreeBSD servers. I credit my career to that position.

I got hired as one of three "senior" systems admins at a datacenter because I knew a guy who helped me run a small hosting business with a total of two cpanel servers back in 2001-ish.

I definitely credit my career to that person.

Unrelated and kinda counter to networking. I have a friend who we ended up hiring about 6 months after I started. He was working at a 7-11 behind the counter when my coworker met him. They started up a conversation because my coworker noticed he was wearing a linux T-shirt. They setup an interview and he was hired within about a week of them meeting. He quit a while after I did and now he works as a real senior systems guy at DirectTV and he makes as much if not more than I do.

edit: Also I'd like to note, this first real job in the industry I was working 10 hours days 6 days a week and making about 1000 dollars a month... it was a terrible job but I'm glad I got in the door and was able to use it to get jobs in the future

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 30, 2011

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bardlebee posted:

I had a question for Software Engineers. How easy is it to get into the field once you finish your degree? My wife is thinking of changing her entire career to Software Engineering because the prospects look so easy, less stress, and to make decent money. She feels she would be good at it. Also, the field she is in now (medicine) has a lot of stress that is piled on. She has invested nearly 10 years in the medical field and is worried that if she 'starts from scratch' then she may be making the wrong decision. Basically, her choices are to go through 3 to 8 years of school to become a doctor or a PA (Physician Assistant). However, both these fields are extremely competitive and difficult to get in to those schools. Or, she could pursue a Software Engineer immediately focus in 2-3 years (She has her BS already in medical), get a job quickly (this is why I came here to ask this) and get good experience to make good money, with less stress?

She would be pursuing a Bachelors in Computer Science, possibly a Masters. Is there a benefit to the Masters?

I am in IT, so I know how easy it is to enter and grow into something such as Network Engineering. However, I have never dealt with Software Engineering/Computer Programming. Could someone give me and idea of the challenges in getting started, making it big, and doing well in this field?

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this. I could make a new thread, but that may be clutter. :(

Firstly I'd like to just point out that schooling isn't a guarantee of a job, there are definitely opportunities for people doing contract work but right now it's pretty hard to find a full time gig unless you're a senior level developer.

Secondly, I used to be a full time developer (php, c#, javascript, ruby, perl etc.) and have now moved to doing network and systems administration full time. I would say that the stress level doing systems and networks is WAAAAAY less than development. Development in my opinion is one of the most stressful types of work I've ever had to do, and it only gets worse if you have incompetent project managers. As others have said, your stress level depends a lot on the type of company. Having done development mainly for start ups and small businesses I've got to say that the stress levels were very high.

I can imagine that doing systems and networks can be stressful too depending on the type of work it is. I only have to deal with business to business customers so it's a bit easier to handle since I only deal with technical people.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Kumquat posted:

Chiming in here again. If anyone has anything (and I mean ANYTHING) or any kind of leads for a young college nerd in Pensacola, Florida, please let me know. Just don't make me work at a Dominos. It seems to be the only place hiring around here. I need something more challenging than that.

Tried looking for government jobs, I tried my college's job services department (Oh look, domino's openings!), I've been scouring craigslist, linkedin, dice, monster.

I'm not even that picky about the TYPE of work anymore. Anything entry level, internship, whatever. I'm having trouble finding openings for crappy help desk/telemarketing jobs.

I will work for free for a week or two if that's what I have to do.

Please keep me in mind. Not trying to sound desperate, but I am.

Move out of Florida, or if you need to stay in Florida move to Orlando, Tampa or to a lesser extent near Miami. Good luck finding IT work anywhere there isn't a large IT industry.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

EvilMoFo posted:

Well, I did spend 8 years getting my (BS Business, Information Systems) degree; what I learned there pales in comparison to what I have done on my own however. I encountered some of my graduating class in the last couple semesters, it was frightening how little they knew.

Over a decade using Windows, and troubleshooting hardware, Windows Server since 2003 and recently I have been learning Server Core. I have helped a couple of my friends do work at the colo; helping install, fix, and upgrade production gear. Over the past couple years I have been learning AD at the house, I did AD migration for a doctors office earlier this year. I have used VMWare for the last 5+ years and have been learning Hyper-V recently. I have a decent understanding about networking and debugging issues, I have been running OpenBSD or FreeBSD as a firewall for nearly 10 years; I have very limited experience with configuring my Cisco switches as well. I have attended Defcon for 8 years and have a pretty good grasp of security, this coming year I will be one of the System/Network administrators for my team in the CTF game.

I know I am not an expert, I know that I can not walk into a company and manage/design/secure an entire infrastructure. I just want a simple junior administrator position, something where there is some oversight and I can put my years of learning Windows administration, networking, virtualization, and security to good use; learning more in the process.

I am in the bay area, looking in the northern end of the east bay and expanding as time goes on. Decent amount of tech ~30 minutes away from me, plenty ~60 minutes out, assloads (downtown SF) at the ~90 minute mark.

I tend to hire a lot of self taught guys, probably because that's how I got in the business. I just hate it when people say that they have certain experience but when you ask them for more details they can't really expand on anything past "well I installed vmware and ran linux on it".

I put a lot of weight on the interview, it's pretty easy to tell when someone is willing to learn and has the ability to do well. I find that guys with tons of certs and degrees usually don't know as much/aren't as passionate about learning and doing more. However one of the best guys I work with has a couple PhDs and a list of credentials that's unreal...

So I guess what I'm saying is, you should do as much as you can to learn more about what you want to do as your job. I got into this business by offering to help people set up servers and code web sites for free, if you have a degree it probably helps too. Don't be afraid to put personal projects and work you do for friends on your resume, especially if you have any cool things you did that you're proud of.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 27, 2011

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I need a network administrator. None of this hokey I love static routes bullshit need apply. You should know what a router is, what a switch is, and be able to answer trivia. Tell me how BGP is different from OSPF using real world examples. I don't care if you're certified, but passing the CCIE lab work goes a long way. We have 2200 servers in 4 datacenters around the world. A small amount of travel is available, but not at all mandatory. Real world experience working with large high availability clusters is a good thing.

We're an all Juniper shop. You don't need to know Juniper or have ever touched one. The principles are all the same.

P.S. There will be whiteboards.

Hit me up at: sajobs@hawknetworks.com with your resume attached.

Can you tell I'm sick of shopping for this position? This position is for immediate hire.

Where are you located?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

We've got budget for three new people and so far the people we've interviewed have been terrible. I don't have an official job posting yet but basically we're looking for linux system admins that have experience with jboss, mysql/sql server, netscaler/f5. Also just to note, you DO NOT need to know everything, as long as you're strong in at least one area we can work with the rest.

We're called Airbiquity in downtown Seattle, PM or email me (arendon@airbiquity.com) if you're interested and I can forward your resume. I'll update with the actual job description as soon as I get it.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Ursine Asylum posted:

I have bad credit because I managed my money well enough to never need a credit card, and now I can't get a credit card. Because I don't have any credit. :sigh:

You don't have bad credit, you have no credit. I fixed that problem by getting a secured loan from a credit union. Getting credit cards after that was fairly easy. My credit is alright right now.