Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dealmaster
Dec 24, 2005

Somebody call for an exterminator?
My experience: I have a BS in Computer Science from the University of Texas at Austin and graduated in May of 2007.

From June 2006 - June 2007 I worked as an Associate Engineer at 21st Century Technologies, a small start-up in Austin that does contract work for the Department of Defense. My roles mainly consisted of assisting with coding and testing of the various contracts we won as a company. I helped with building very large data structures that were then searched using our proprietary search technology. This work was done primarily in Java in Windows/Linux environments.

Upon graduating in 2007, I was promoted to Engineer at that job and stayed there until February 2008. At this point I was able to make more design decisions on how to tackle the problems posed in the contracts. I worked with our search technology and also utilized genetic algorithms. I worked on both front-end and back-end code for our solutions. As above, this work was done in Java in the same environments.

In February 2008 I was hired by AIG American General in Houston. I stayed in Austin and worked remotely. My work mainly consisted of debugging and modifying existing code to both fix numeric calculation errors and to improve runtime and memory usage. The codebase was all C and C++. Many of these files were extremely large (well over 10,000 lines of code), so I have a good deal of experience with weeding through huge sections of code to pinpoint a problem. Additionally, I designed and wrote the back-end of the Long Term Care calculation engine in C#. I also worked directly with customers on the Structured Settlements product and made improvements to the calculation engine and the GUI. The environment for all of this coding was Windows.

At this job I also attempted to get a documentation standard adopted by everyone (the amount of code that was completely void of comments was staggering) within the first month of starting there. I did research on my own personal time and recommended to my manager that we use Doxygen. I began to implement this standard in my own work so that at least the code fixes and improvements that I put in would be commented. Although this standard wasn't adopted, I feel that it showed initiative on my part especially as a new employee to try and get a big change for the better rolling.

What I'm looking for: A software engineering job centered around higher level coding. I'd be open and willing to learn more web-related coding such as PHP as my strengths lie in C, C++, Java, and C#. I have a very good background in the fundamentals of computer science so learning a new language is not a massive undertaking, just adapting a new tool to solve a problem.

Where I live: Austin, TX

Where I'm looking: Austin, TX

When I can start: Anytime really

Requirements: Benefits for employee/spouse, competitive salary and challenging/interesting work

Can be reached via: PM me for my email address or resume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU