Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Godinster posted:

Hmm, poo poo. I went to update it and now my Homebrew Channel won't work. To be fair I haven't actually tried to use it in a few months but when I load HB Channel, the screen goes black and that's about it.

Any ideas? I hope I don't have to re-do the Twilight Princess glitch, I don't have the game anymore.
Do you have any Gamecube memory cards in your Wii?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
No unfortunately not. I even just deleted the entire folder after backing it up, extracted the newest boot.dol to the root directory [along with the apps folder] and same thing.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Having a similar issue. Haven't touched my Wii for awhile, so I updated to System 4.0 and tried the Homebrew Channel, it worked fine but prompted to update from Beta 8 to 1.01. After it downloads the update, the screen just goes black.

Edit: Never mind, I guess it just took awhile. I got to the update screen and attempted to update, but it failed: Error -1040002011 installing ticket

HATE TROLL TIM fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 25, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'll note that I was already on the most current update when I installed HBC and before I performed today's update. Maybe if you weren't current before this, it is breaking HBC?

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
I just want to contribute that I had HBC 1.0 installed and took the chance at getting the update (running from a downgraded 3.2U) and at the very least the channel itself works just fine.

I hope no one has much trouble getting the update or waiting for the inevitable firmware hack because it is awesome.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
So, it breaks the Homebrew Channel if one updates it? That kind of sucks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This is what 4.0 does for homebrew, according to the wiki:

*Twilight Hack 0.1 beta 2 savefile is again broken, so you won't be able to install the Homebrew Channel if you haven't already

*DVDx stub blocked from installation

*Homebrew Channel still installs to the hard-drive (I think? how would you even do it without the Twilight Hack) but if copied to SD it will not run

If this stuff's already on your Wii before you update then you should apparently be fine.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Updating the Homebrew Channel = installing the Homebrew Channel again, which doesn't work according to Wiibrew. If you HAVE to update right now (you don't), at least bother updating the HBC before System Menu if you're interested in using it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm really unfamiliar with WAD stuff. I somehow managed to downgrade my Wii to 3.2, though. Would it be feasible to just install the SD functionality from 4.0 without the rest using wads?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ddraig posted:

I'm really unfamiliar with WAD stuff. I somehow managed to downgrade my Wii to 3.2, though. Would it be feasible to just install the SD functionality from 4.0 without the rest using wads?

Eventually it'll be possible, but definitely not right now.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with a method to just install the SD channel without upgrading the system menu, yeah. They did it for the shop channel already.

Important question - is copying to the SD card less crippingly slow now? A while back I tried to copy LostWinds to my SD card and gave up after waiting for like 20 minutes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xythar posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with a method to just install the SD channel without upgrading the system menu, yeah. They did it for the shop channel already.

Important question - is copying to the SD card less crippingly slow now? A while back I tried to copy LostWinds to my SD card and gave up after waiting for like 20 minutes.

Are you sure you just don't have a slow card?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Xythar posted:

Yes, it only took 30 seconds to copy the Internet Channel off my SD card back to the Wii. And then only 30 seconds to copy Super Mario 64 to the SD card from the hard-drive.

Yeah, I know it's bad to update blindly, but the new features are too useful. At least unlike the PSP, you can still use homebrew after installing the offical update.

[edit] My card used to take a long time to copy before the update, and the results above are what I get now.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Do I need to do anything special to go about updating to the latest version of the the shopping channel? I'm currently running on 3.3U, and today I upgraded to the latest version of the Homebrew Channel. I ran the Wii Shop and IOS51 installer (hadn't updated anything since probably around September before today), but when I went to the Shop Channel, it said I still needed the latest system update.

So at this point, do I just download and install the latest update? I thought the Wii Shop/IOS51 installer was supposed to have done that for me...

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

fishmech posted:

Are you sure you just don't have a slow card?

Yes, because there's no such thing as an SD card that slow (LostWinds is what, under 30MB?) and it sure as hell doesn't take that long to copy things to and from it from my computer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ballz posted:

So at this point, do I just download and install the latest update? I thought the Wii Shop/IOS51 installer was supposed to have done that for me...

The 10551 installer did provide the latest Shop update until about eight hours ago when System Menu 4.0 was rolled out. 4.0 uses a new IOS for both the Shop and the new SD functionality, I believe, so you'll have to wait until one of the homebrew dorks comes up with a standalone patcher for that stuff, or just roll the dice with the official firmware upgrade.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I came home today to find that my brother deleted the Homebrew Channel and everything else from the Wii because "My internet friends said Nintendo bans people for using it now!". I came here to check the thread, and told him that no, they ban for cheating at Mario Kart, which is all he does on the Wii anymore. That made him happy.

Time to reinstall my programs :sigh:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 26, 2009

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

I came here to check the thread, and told him that no, they ban for cheating at Mario Kart, which is all he does on the Wii anymore. That made him happy.
I assume you mean all he does is play MK, not cheat at it...right? (or was that a sarcastic "happy"?)

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I came home today to find that my brother deleted the Homebrew Channel and everything else from the Wii because "My internet friends said Nintendo bans people for using it now!". I came here to check the thread, and told him that no, they ban for cheating at Mario Kart, which is all he does on the Wii anymore. That made him happy.

Time to reinstall my programs :sigh:

Hope he didn't update too...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

japtor posted:

I assume you mean all he does is play MK, not cheat at it...right? (or was that a sarcastic "happy"?)

Oh no, he cheats at it. He hops on, gets infinite mushrooms, and laughs his rear end off on Skype with his friends.

FlyingCheese posted:

Hope he didn't update too...

I checked earlier and it was still the right version. Inspired, I just checked again: 4.0. :suicide:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 26, 2009

NavalCasity
Dec 21, 2005

Rich, creamy eggnog.
I checked around earlier today and it seemed like most people weren't having a problem with upgrading. I just upgraded to 4.0 and my hbc still works.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh no, he cheats at it. He hops on, gets infinite mushrooms, and laughs his rear end off on Skype with his friends.

Your friend's a human being and doesn't deserve the HBC.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

.TakaM posted:

It's his brother, but yeah, I hate to tell you this but he's part of the problem.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How do I know if I have the latest version of HBC before I upgrade my Wii Menu?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Astro7x posted:

How do I know if I have the latest version of HBC before I upgrade my Wii Menu?

It should prompt you to update if there's one available, right? It did this every time I'd start up until I just updated.

It might require an active internet connection to do the check, though. I'm not sure if it checks once then sets some notification flag to keep reminding you whether you're connected or not.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Code Jockey posted:

It should prompt you to update if there's one available, right? It did this every time I'd start up until I just updated.

It might require an active internet connection to do the check, though. I'm not sure if it checks once then sets some notification flag to keep reminding you whether you're connected or not.

Yeah, it's been awhile since it's done an update, just wanted to make sure.

In the upper right corner I have a "1.0.1" and an "IOS36 v4.18" which I have no idea what that means.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, it's been awhile since it's done an update, just wanted to make sure.

In the upper right corner I have a "1.0.1" and an "IOS36 v4.18" which I have no idea what that means.

Well 1.0.1 is the newest as far as I know...

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
Comfirming that Homebrew Channel works with the new update...

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

How do you start everything from scratch?

I tried doing a different setup with some starfall program and AnyRegion Changer and now my wii takes about 5 seconds more to start up. I just want to start completely over to 3.2 as if my wii were a virgin.

Is this possible?

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 26, 2009

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Can't you just format the Wii back to factory settings in the options?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

.TakaM posted:

Can't you just format the Wii back to factory settings in the options?

Does that downgrade the firmware?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
So if a updated HBC, DVDX and Twilight Hack were all installed prior to the 4.0 update, none of that will break. otherwise it should be done before doing 4.0

Is there any reason then why the Wii shouldn't be updated if all of that is in place?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

timb posted:

Does that downgrade the firmware?

No it doesn't. It only resets all the settings to the defaults and formats the usable memory (saves, VC/Wiiware, etc.).

There is no official way to downgrade. At all. None. There are homebrew methods to do so but they can be awfully buggy and not a good solution at all. DO NOT UPGRADE IF YOU WANT TO STAY ON 3.2

NYIslander posted:

So if a updated HBC, DVDX and Twilight Hack were all installed prior to the 4.0 update, none of that will break. otherwise it should be done before doing 4.0

Is there any reason then why the Wii shouldn't be updated if all of that is in place?

Because this might be the update where they add forced updates from now on. It's too early to tell whether or not the new firmware is auto-updating or not. And while this update might not kill homebrew, a forced one down the line could. It's still up in the air until we get people debugging this thing and seeing what it does.

Edit: Seems hackmii has something big planned (ie: bootmii) as per their post today:
http://hackmii.com/2009/03/hi-there-nintendo/

quote:

Hi there Nintendo
March 26th, 2009 by marcan

Good job trying (again) to kill PatchMii and forgetting to overwrite cIOS. In case you don’t know, that’s IOS249 (not IOS254), and it’s what all the VC/WiiWare pirates use, as well as the softmod pirate’s choice of IOS, as it includes DVD read patches. It’s also what they’re using to patch your update now so they can enjoy SD launching of pirated titles. Good job.

Hint: If you worked on screwing up piracy instead of blocking homebrew, you might have a better chance at stopping it. And you know that we aren’t going to help the pirates, don’t you?

This was also your last chance to get rid of some piracy before the release of a NAND backup/restore solution. You blew it.

Looks like bootmii is finally being released. Thanks Team Twiizers!

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 26, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I'm more of afraid that if I upgrade ever I'll lose more than just HBC, my wii will brick :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

It's his brother, but yeah, I hate to tell you this but he's part of the problem.

.TakaM posted:

You really don't need to tell me this for me to know it. I live with him :cry:

I think he'll stop now that he knows Nintendo doesn't like it. Do hacking bans on Mario Kart extend to all WFC games or just Mario Kart? I can't find the Mario Kart thread.

e: Oh hey, just saw FlyingCheese's updated post. Looks like I may not be completely hosed after all with regards to playing Day of the Tentacle on my 42" TV soon?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I'm more of afraid that if I upgrade ever I'll lose more than just HBC, my wii will brick :(

There's no chance of that unless you region-changed your wii. And even then it's an easy brick to fix. It's not a permanent brick, there is no permanent brick for the wii, it's part of the way it's designed.

Luigi Thirty posted:

You really don't need to tell me this for me to know it. I live with him :cry:

I think he'll stop now that he knows Nintendo doesn't like it. Do hacking bans on Mario Kart extend to all WFC games or just Mario Kart? I can't find the Mario Kart thread.

As of right now, it's just Mario Kart. I don't think SSB had that kind of checking to begin with (hence the proliferation of Brawl+). Game hacking a year ago wasn't this easy so I don't think Nintendo saw it coming.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

FlyingCheese posted:

Because this might be the update where they add forced updates from now on. It's too early to tell whether or not the new firmware is auto-updating or not. And while this update might not kill homebrew, a forced one down the line could. It's still up in the air until we get people debugging this thing and seeing what it does.

Good advice, thanks. As cool as Nintendo's newest update is, I'll just wait a bit to hear if there's more to it than what we already know.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

FlyingCheese you seem to be really up on this. That starfall program looked for a hack.ini file that (at the time) I did not have. It produced an error. Now I can't get booted to that menu, period. Instead if hangs for a bit then goes to the normal wii warning "press a" screen. GeckOS fails to work (it just produces an error followed by garbage). I tried reloading starfall through HBC but it just does the same thing (hangs then boots up normally). I did some research and it seams it has something so do with the System Menu. Do you, or anyone, know how to fix this?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

FlyingCheese you seem to be really up on this. That starfall program looked for a hack.ini file that (at the time) I did not have. It produced an error. Now I can't get booted to that menu, period. Instead if hangs for a bit then goes to the normal wii warning "press a" screen. GeckOS fails to work (it just produces an error followed by garbage). I tried reloading starfall through HBC but it just does the same thing (hangs then boots up normally). I did some research and it seams it has something so do with the System Menu. Do you, or anyone, know how to fix this?

What Wii update version are you on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

a custom 3.2 I assume

The ONE THING that does work with starfall is that if I hold y on my GC controller is states 3.2U

• Locked thread