Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

ChesterJT posted:

Same here. I'm on 4.3 but some homebrew stuff I have requires that I use an older 2gb sd card.

I think that issue is more that homebrew makers aren't using the updated libraries (or in most cases, the homebrew app just hasn't been updated in years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Well now, either through sheer dumb luck or being able to follow simple yet extensive instructions, possibly both, I modified my Wii using Modmii, doing every step in the generated guide.

Quick question: Modmii's menu gives you 'region change' as one of the tasks you can perform, but when I click into the option a handy note tells me it's not necessary to change region to play the games of a different region to your own (mine is a European Wii, and I want to play US games). If that is the case, why would anyone need/want to change their region at all?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Loader apps can spoof the region, but if you wanted to play an imported game on disc (rather than ripping it and loading your ISO through one of the loaders), you may run into scenarios where you'll need a legit region. That's the only reason I can think of.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Exioce posted:

Quick question: Modmii's menu gives you 'region change' as one of the tasks you can perform, but when I click into the option a handy note tells me it's not necessary to change region to play the games of a different region to your own (mine is a European Wii, and I want to play US games). If that is the case, why would anyone need/want to change their region at all?

I guess if you want to buy digital games from another region's Wii Shop? I think I've read somewhere that installing other region WiiWare games can brick your System Menu, but that's entering :filez: territory anyway.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Exioce posted:

Well now, either through sheer dumb luck or being able to follow simple yet extensive instructions, possibly both, I modified my Wii using Modmii, doing every step in the generated guide.

There are a small handfull of games that use the system fonts and if you play the game from another region it won't display some or all of the text correctly. I played a lot of Wii imports and the Japanese version of the Klonoa remake had this issue.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Hi. I know nothing about modding consoles, but I read an article about using the Classic Controller for Donkey Kong Country Returns and I want to do it.

I found this article, but I'm not really sure what to do. I'm assuming I have to download this thing, put it on an SD Card and then put the SD card in my Wii? Do I have to use GeckoOS or does LetterBomb work?

I'm assuming the steps are really simple, but if not, I'd appreciate if someone spoke to me as if I was a child about this.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Grump posted:

Hi. I know nothing about modding consoles, but I read an article about using the Classic Controller for Donkey Kong Country Returns and I want to do it.

I found this article, but I'm not really sure what to do. I'm assuming I have to download this thing, put it on an SD Card and then put the SD card in my Wii? Do I have to use GeckoOS or does LetterBomb work?

I'm assuming the steps are really simple, but if not, I'd appreciate if someone spoke to me as if I was a child about this.

Gecko OS is a piece of homebrew or user created software. It's one of several homebrew that can be used to launch a game in a way other than starting the game from the Wii menu. One benefit of this kind of software is the ability to use cheat codes. 'Ocarina' refers to the format of the cheat codes as opposed to game genie or action replay.

So you need Gecko OS or a similar launcher on your SD card, as well as the file for the cheat codes it provides. But then you need a way to run this homebrew software; you can't just put it on your SD card and launch it from there. 'Letterbomb' is one of several possible exploits used to install the Homebrew Channel.

To prepare your Wii for homebrew the usual recommendation is that you get a program called ModMii for your computer. It will ask you questions about what you want to be able to do with your Wii, then it will download all of the files you need and put them in a folder called 'COPY CONTENTS TO SD CARD' or something. It will also generate a step-by-step guide just for you.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Thanks. Unfortunately, I won't be able to give this a try until Spring Break.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Anyone have any idea why the Homebrew Channel, FCE Ultra, etc are working on my Wii U but the forwarders for everything but Configurable USB Loader aren't working? Google has been utterly loving useless

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I softmodded my Wii a while ago and don't really care much about that functionality anymore, however my shop & Netflix channels aren't working and require an update. If I re-enable allowing software updates, will I be able to get the latest updates for those channels without problems? Again, I don't care about the softmod functionality anymore.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah, you should be able to just do a system update, it'll delete all the homebrew stuff but everything else should be fine.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is driving me crazy. In Xenoblade, I know there is an Ocarina code that can make it so that you always get Mega Heat after crafting a gem. I know this because I used it. But I lost the .gct file and code .txt file due to doing something stupid, so I need I find it again because it's not in the standard SX4E01.txt. But I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere on the internet again.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Not really a homebrew question but are those HDMI converters any good?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

This is driving me crazy. In Xenoblade, I know there is an Ocarina code that can make it so that you always get Mega Heat after crafting a gem. I know this because I used it. But I lost the .gct file and code .txt file due to doing something stupid, so I need I find it again because it's not in the standard SX4E01.txt. But I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere on the internet again.

I have that code (a quick count shows me that i have a list of 75 various codes for Xenoblade), but it's for the PAL version, or SX4P01. I doubt it'll work, but you can try.

04222074 380001FE
04222160 380001FE

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Are there any good 3rd party wireless GC controllers for Wii usage? I have a used Wavebird, but I'm not overly fond of it

I'm interested.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So I have a few questions: I've been able to run Devolution, the gamecube usb loader, from Configurable USB Loader before, but I cannot for the life of me remember how I got that app to recognize the gamecube games on my USB drive. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, is there anyway I can use cheat codes like Action Replay stuff with Devolution?

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

ChaosArgate posted:

So I have a few questions: I've been able to run Devolution, the gamecube usb loader, from Configurable USB Loader before, but I cannot for the life of me remember how I got that app to recognize the gamecube games on my USB drive. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, is there anyway I can use cheat codes like Action Replay stuff with Devolution?
This mod of Configurable USB Loader should let it see GCN games https://code.google.com/p/cfg-loader-mod/downloads/list

Download the the one at the very top, cfg70MODr65.dol, rename it boot.dol, then have it replace the boot.dol in your USB Loader folder.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Purple D. Link posted:

This mod of Configurable USB Loader should let it see GCN games https://code.google.com/p/cfg-loader-mod/downloads/list

Download the the one at the very top, cfg70MODr65.dol, rename it boot.dol, then have it replace the boot.dol in your USB Loader folder.

How should I keep the GCN games on the usb drive though? Should they be in a games folder, like Devolution uses, or should they be in the wbfs folder?

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

ChaosArgate posted:

How should I keep the GCN games on the usb drive though? Should they be in a games folder, like Devolution uses, or should they be in the wbfs folder?
Had to look this up since I haven't really used Devolution myself, (can't get my discs ripped for some reason), but yeah, store them like games/gameid*/game.iso. You can use DMToolbox to do this for you after you've ripped your ISOs.

*would look something like this, GQSEAF, which is the ID for Tales of Symphonia. It also really has to be called game.iso.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh, cool, it works! Now I'm having issues trying to get it to think there's a memory card in place. :(

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Right so I figured it was time I got a dedicated SD card for Wii stuff as I booted up the Wii again and want to start trying out some homebrew games and more applications. At the moment I've been sharing my old 512 MB SD card between the Wii and the camera and I think I don't want to use the same SD card for my 3DS and for Wii homebrew. Any manufacturers that are more/less recommended than others? Kingston, Sandisk, Transcend, Lexar? Anything else?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

Right so I figured it was time I got a dedicated SD card for Wii stuff as I booted up the Wii again and want to start trying out some homebrew games and more applications. At the moment I've been sharing my old 512 MB SD card between the Wii and the camera and I think I don't want to use the same SD card for my 3DS and for Wii homebrew. Any manufacturers that are more/less recommended than others? Kingston, Sandisk, Transcend, Lexar? Anything else?

I've pretty much always used Kingston and Sandisk, and both have given me pretty much no issues, though I had better luck on my Wii with Kingston as my Sandisk card didn't read the first few times I tried it, which may not have anything to do with the brand.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

KennyMan666 posted:

You're not going to believe this.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well, even if I did, I believe the line that says it doesn't ship to me.

Was going to pick one up since I'd be heading into town tomorrow anyway, just need to decide if I want 8 or 16 GB.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Alright. So I'm trying to make this thing do all the things the FAQ says it will do. I put all the stuff from COPY_TO_SD where it's supposed to be, turned "private" into "privateold," stuck it in, clicked the letterbomb, and all that happens is my screen goes black and I have to reset. What am I doing wrong?

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I cracked my Wii recently and didn't have to rename anything, did you use ModMii?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

DiscoMouse posted:

I cracked my Wii recently and didn't have to rename anything, did you use ModMii?

Yes I did! I fixed the problem, I think, via the magic of actually putting the right MAC address.

Now the opening screen gives me the new options, but I can't choose anything. I have to reset and it takes me to the regular start screen.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I think at one step you could only control the options with the buttons on the console, maybe give that a try.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Yes I did! I fixed the problem, I think, via the magic of actually putting the right MAC address.

Now the opening screen gives me the new options, but I can't choose anything. I have to reset and it takes me to the regular start screen.

Yeah if you get to that point try using either a Gamecube controller or the physical buttons on the console itself. Good luck you're so close!!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey WiiGoons, I have a question for this fine thread.

A friend lend me his old Wii and asked me to add the homebrew channel so he can play off his HDD. I basically followed these instructions which was probably a bad idea on hindsight (should've just searched on SA, as I usually do).

I've done the whole thing, but my HDD is formated as NTFS (and contains a bunch of personal things). Since I read that the USB loader only works with FAT32... I copied everything from my HDD, formated it to FAT32, then tried to copy a disc file... only to realize the images are more than 4gb in size and FAT32 doesn't work with that. So that was fun!

Anyway, my plan was to buy a 12gb-or-so flash drive and format it to wbfs, and use that for my copies. That said, should I do this some other way? I don't know if I can just run ModMii and follow the steps on the OP, after I already did the other instructions.

I'd risk it but the Wii is a friend's, so I really don't want to brick it due to me being stupid.

One last thing: my region is PAL if that matters.

Thanks in advance!

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 8, 2014

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
https://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/ works with NTFS drives, you just have to change a setting to enable it, I believe.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FlyingCheese posted:

https://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/ works with NTFS drives, you just have to change a setting to enable it, I believe.

Huh, this is the Loader I'm using, but it hasn't worked so far with my 2Tb HDD. May be because of the HDD itself?

Fake Edit: Wait, I haven't been using the proper folder, just placing the games in root. That's probably related :v: still, it freezes at "Loading HDD" (or something like that), but I'll try using the HDD right today before buying anything else.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Huh, this is the Loader I'm using, but it hasn't worked so far with my 2Tb HDD. May be because of the HDD itself?

Fake Edit: Wait, I haven't been using the proper folder, just placing the games in root. That's probably related :v: still, it freezes at "Loading HDD" (or something like that), but I'll try using the HDD right today before buying anything else.

FAT32 is fine even for large discs if you convert them to wbfs format, files get split before the size limit so they fit nicely. Did you convert back to NTFS?

I've always had the least trouble when using Configurable USB loader. I think it can let you select device and partition on startup which eases troubleshooting.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Keito posted:

FAT32 is fine even for large discs if you convert them to wbfs format, files get split before the size limit so they fit nicely. Did you convert back to NTFS?

I've always had the least trouble when using Configurable USB loader. I think it can let you select device and partition on startup which eases troubleshooting.

Yeah, back to NTFS since I actually use it for regular stuff. Think I'll try with proper folders + Configurable USB and if that doesn't work I'll just get a flash drive and use it exclusively for the Zelda console.

Active666
Apr 3, 2009
You also need to use a backup manager to place the games on the drive. Can't just drop the games in the wbfs folder.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Yeah, back to NTFS since I actually use it for regular stuff. Think I'll try with proper folders + Configurable USB and if that doesn't work I'll just get a flash drive and use it exclusively for the Zelda console.

Just remembered only one of the USB ports is good for attaching storage, but not which that is. So if you've only tried one with your HDD, try the other. Getting some dedicated storage for the console is probably a good idea either way though.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Active666 posted:

You also need to use a backup manager to place the games on the drive. Can't just drop the games in the wbfs folder.

You sure can.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Active666 posted:

Isn't that the case if the whole drive is in wbfs format (and only because the OS won't recognize it)? .wfbs should move without a problem as a regular file, right?

Keito posted:

Just remembered only one of the USB ports is good for attaching storage, but not which that is. So if you've only tried one with your HDD, try the other. Getting some dedicated storage for the console is probably a good idea either way though.

Yeah, I'm using the one closest to the edge of the wii, the other one doesn't even recognize that there's something plugged in (and just tells me that there's nothing to see, instead of freezing when loading it)

edit: thanks for all the help!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Active666 posted:

For all it's worth my setup uses a dedicated 250gb external USB hard drive connected to both usb ports. I use Wii Backup Manager (WBM) to throw my disc images on and have never had a single issue with it. In face it's so nice it's almost too drat easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

Tyson Tomko posted:

For all it's worth my setup uses a dedicated 250gb external USB hard drive connected to both usb ports. I use Wii Backup Manager (WBM) to throw my disc images on and have never had a single issue with it. In face it's so nice it's almost too drat easy.

This is what I meant

• Locked thread