Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Well, after seeing the article on Lifehacker and realizing that the only time I'd used my Wii in the past six months was a two-day urge to replay No More Heroes and a copy of Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters I found in a bargain bin in San Francisco, I decided to go with the homebrew thing so as to get some use out of it; I bought the Sandisk SD card, I bannerbombed, I homebrew channeled, etc. And it all worked very well, and running Doom and Quake on the Wii was pretty awesome, and I had great plans for ScummVM today.

'Cept upon waking up, loading poo poo onto my SD card and bringing it to the Wii to start again, I discover thing no longer boots. At first it wouldn't even turn on--with the button on the console, mind--and after unplugging it and plugging it back in (and in an old IT holdover philosophy that is likely completely useless in this context, ejecting the disc, removing the SD card and both memory cards) it appears to be pretty dead. Wiimotes connect to it just fine, TV picks up a video signal, but it's nothing but black.

So that kind of blows. I'm assuming I'm just essentially hosed, but I'm kind of curious as to what the hell happened and if this is particularly common; I didn't install anything unusual, it shut down perfectly fine last night and it's an early-adopted LU50 model, so I'm pretty baffled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That's too bad, you should have done a backup and now it's going to cost you $75 for repairs from Nintendo. Try leaving it unplugged for a long while, and switching between what kind of connection to the TV you're using (it's possible the signal is getting lost somehow and the TV's displaying just black) but if these don't help you I'd say you're screwed.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Chronojam posted:

That's too bad, you should have done a backup and now it's going to cost you $75 for repairs from Nintendo. Try leaving it unplugged for a long while, and switching between what kind of connection to the TV you're using (it's possible the signal is getting lost somehow and the TV's displaying just black) but if these don't help you I'd say you're screwed.

On this advice and figuring there wasn't much point not to, I unplugged it completely, put it up on a shelf and then left to grab breakfast and a shower, and upon coming back, it works absolutely loving fine, homebrew and all.

I do not remotely understand electronics.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Well, that has convinced me to make a backup of my Wii's NAND memory before using it again. I have a Wii purchased in 2007, if it matters. Is it better for me to use Pre-Loader or Bootmii?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Nickoten posted:

Well, that has convinced me to make a backup of my Wii's NAND memory before using it again. I have a Wii purchased in 2007, if it matters. Is it better for me to use Pre-Loader or Bootmii?

Both. Backup with bootmii, use preloader for fancy hacks like no health and safety warning when you turn on the wii. You can set up bootmii to go straight to system menu after 1 (or even 0) second.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

CarlCX posted:

On this advice and figuring there wasn't much point not to, I unplugged it completely, put it up on a shelf and then left to grab breakfast and a shower, and upon coming back, it works absolutely loving fine, homebrew and all.

I do not remotely understand electronics.

Good to hear. Go install yourself a copy of BootMii (when prompted, elect to install to boot2) and back up your NAND ... then keep a copy both on your hard drive, and a spare SD card kept near the Wii :)

As for what FlyingCheese said, you should probably modify your BootMii to give you maybe a one second delay before attempting to launch the system menu. You'll have to manually edit the INI for it, or download the BootMii config editor homebrew app. It's probably "easiest" this way since you can make changes without needing to cart your card between the Wii and PC.

Keep in mind you CAN set it to zero seconds with no fear. If you ever DO screw up your Wii and need to restore you can just change the INI to something more accessible, don't worry about locking yourself out.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I'm sorry, as I haven't used either application, I'm not sure what this delay would be for. Also, is it safe to use both? Don't they both come on before system menu?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Basically for BootMii, it displays its own splash screen with little dots that count down. If you push the buttons (power etc.) on the console, you interrupt that countdown and can interact with BootMii. Once the countdown ends, it continues the normal boot sequence (going into the health & safety warning if you haven't dodged that with something else).

It is safe to use both.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
All I've done to the Wii is bannerbombed and literally nothing else (no DVDX, no Preloader, etc.) What should I do to make sure I don't completely brick my system at some point in the future?

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

CraigK posted:

All I've done to the Wii is bannerbombed and literally nothing else (no DVDX, no Preloader, etc.) What should I do to make sure I don't completely brick my system at some point in the future?

Assuming you were able to install bootmii to boot2, you'll want to make a full backup of your nand. This way you'll be able to return to as close to a stock Wii as possible before you go messing with things.

MrMinnow
Dec 9, 2005

All the fishes in the sea, around the sides of my country.
I seem to have totally fried my Wii a few hours ago. If I plug it in the power light is red, but as soon as I try to power up or hit eject it powers down entirely. It wasn't anything homebrew related, but it looks like I need to send it in for repairs and I have the homebrew channel installed.

Will there be any problems with that? It's a launch system so I've been out of warranty for a while. I'm going to have to pay 70-80 bucks regardless, but do they charge extra for repairing a system with homebrew on it?

Frank_Einstein
Sep 16, 2007

Mr. Excitement is my middle name.

MrMinnow posted:

I seem to have totally fried my Wii a few hours ago. If I plug it in the power light is red, but as soon as I try to power up or hit eject it powers down entirely. It wasn't anything homebrew related, but it looks like I need to send it in for repairs and I have the homebrew channel installed.

Will there be any problems with that? It's a launch system so I've been out of warranty for a while. I'm going to have to pay 70-80 bucks regardless, but do they charge extra for repairing a system with homebrew on it?

Have you tried leaving the power cord unplugged from both the wii and the wall for about 15 minutes to reset the power supply? This seems to fix some power related issues. Worth a shot.

MrMinnow
Dec 9, 2005

Frank_Einstein posted:

Have you tried leaving the power cord unplugged from both the wii and the wall for about 15 minutes to reset the power supply? This seems to fix some power related issues. Worth a shot.

Yeah, I did that, and I tried other cords. I've looked at just about anything I can do. The next thing I'm trying is leaving everything unplugged for the night but I doubt that will make much of a difference.

The way I see it I can either send it to Nintendo for repairs or find instructions for replacing whatever I fried. My brother has a wii downstairs with a dead dvd drive and he refuses to get it fixed, so theoretically I have replacement parts.

I'll send it to Nintendo unless they're going to charge extra for having homebrew on the system. I'll pay the 70-80 but if they're going to charge more I'm gonna look at alternatives, but my Wii did that overheating thing where it gets the graphical glitches a while back and I've wanted to send it in to fix that anyways.

My Mario Kart is stuck in there, too, and that's the real bummer. I'm the only one in my group of friends who has a copy.

Frank_Einstein
Sep 16, 2007

Mr. Excitement is my middle name.

MrMinnow posted:

Yeah, I did that, and I tried other cords. I've looked at just about anything I can do. The next thing I'm trying is leaving everything unplugged for the night but I doubt that will make much of a difference.

The way I see it I can either send it to Nintendo for repairs or find instructions for replacing whatever I fried. My brother has a wii downstairs with a dead dvd drive and he refuses to get it fixed, so theoretically I have replacement parts.

I'll send it to Nintendo unless they're going to charge extra for having homebrew on the system. I'll pay the 70-80 but if they're going to charge more I'm gonna look at alternatives, but my Wii did that overheating thing where it gets the graphical glitches a while back and I've wanted to send it in to fix that anyways.

My Mario Kart is stuck in there, too, and that's the real bummer. I'm the only one in my group of friends who has a copy.

I have read once or twice on forums about people being charged more for repairs after mods were found.

Hard to tell if those posters were just trying to freak people out though, because I have read a lot more stories of Nintendo not adjusting the repair price.

MrMinnow
Dec 9, 2005

I might have to try just sending it in then, unless anyone has any other info or first hand experience. Thanks though.

The Store
May 2, 2009

I wish GeeXbox worked halfway well with .mkvs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Frank_Einstein posted:

I have read once or twice on forums about people being charged more for repairs after mods were found.

Hard to tell if those posters were just trying to freak people out though, because I have read a lot more stories of Nintendo not adjusting the repair price.

They'd probably throw a fit if you have an actual modchip on there. But if it is just bannerbomb or twilight hack, why should they care? You are still paying them 80 bucks to fix it. From what I have heard they just wipe everything and transfer licenses.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

wheeliedude posted:

Yeah, here here. If I didn't have a PC set up to do it, I'd probably buy a first-gen Xbox and mod it for media streaming. Maybe a 360 or a PS3 since they're both a lot cheaper now than they used to be, but I'm not sure how streaming works on those, or modding for that matter if it's required.

RawkSD is amazing, also. Killed off the last of my poor 2 gig SD card with RB1, but it's totally worth it. Time to go buy another SD card for emulation...

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

wheeliedude posted:

I've never had problems with .mkv's in MplayerCE.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

MrMinnow posted:

I'll send it to Nintendo unless they're going to charge extra for having homebrew on the system. I'll pay the 70-80 but if they're going to charge more I'm gonna look at alternatives
The charge for repairing Homebrewed Wiis applied to consoles that were still under warranty. They shouldn't charge anything extra at this point. I imagine a lot of borked Wiis are the result of user error anyway (dropping the thing into a bucket of punch, etc etc) so even if they could argue you fried your own console by modifying the system files the end result isn't any different. They are gonna repair it, and they will do it for around 80 bucks.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

MrMinnow posted:

If you're using third-party a/v cords, this also may be an issue. I have multi-console "universal" component cord, and if I forget to remove the 360 cord from my 360 console before playing some Wii, my Wii behaves the exact same way.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My third-party component cables had the same problem after a few months. Bought a set of first-party cables (for not much more) and it's been working fine ever since.

MrMinnow
Dec 9, 2005

I have third party cables, but I don't know that they caused it. I bumped the cables into some metal or a different plug on the back of my monitor when I was plugging them in, it sparked, and it shut down the Wii. It's still not coming back on today and I've tried plugging it in with different cables. When I get it fixed I'll make sure to grab some first party cables just to be safe.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Protip for electronics: Plug everything into the wall/TV first THEN plug into your device.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
So, after maybe using my Wii for 4 hours over the course of the last several months I'm thinking it's time to get the homebrew channel. Bannerbomb is currently working on systems updated to 4.1U, right?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Circle Nine posted:

So, after maybe using my Wii for 4 hours over the course of the last several months I'm thinking it's time to get the homebrew channel. Bannerbomb is currently working on systems updated to 4.1U, right?

Yup.

stretchy membrane
May 22, 2007

_________
:tipshat:
I've got a few questions since having bannerbombed my wii recently.

-Is there some reason why seemingly every homebrew app doesn't fit my tv? They all go off parts of the screen and there's no consistency, I'm using the hd cables if it helps and all the normal nintendo stuff works fine.

-Can you run more than just wii games off a usb hdd? My sd card is tiny and I'd rather just have bootmii on it if I could. I'm wondering if I could run homebrew channel apps like quake and snes roms off the drive instead of my sd, and while Snes9x did give me the option to load off of usb, it said it couldn't find my drive..

-Is a portable usb hdd fine? I'm worried that since it's using the wii for power too I might be working the thing too hard and is there any performance or speed increase in using a harddrive with an external power source?

and finally, I used that easy package thing to softmod my wii, so I assume it installed bootmii to boot2, given that my wii is from dec 2006. But whenever i load my wii it goes straight to the home menu instead of bootmii, which i can only access through the homebrew menu for now. I've heard this is the case when you install it as an ios or whatever instead of boot2, but others have told me it can be a problem with the individual sd card. Is there a way to check if it's installed to boot2, and if not, is it possible to reinstall even though i'm using cIOS and whatever now?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

kramhag posted:

I've got a few questions since having bannerbombed my wii recently.

-Is a portable usb hdd fine? I'm worried that since it's using the wii for power too I might be working the thing too hard and is there any performance or speed increase in using a harddrive with an external power source?

No worries. I'm using a WD Passport (don't buy these) and my friends use Seagate FreeAgent Go drives with no problems with power consumption.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

kramhag posted:

and finally, I used that easy package thing to softmod my wii, so I assume it installed bootmii to boot2, given that my wii is from dec 2006. But whenever i load my wii it goes straight to the home menu instead of bootmii, which i can only access through the homebrew menu for now. I've heard this is the case when you install it as an ios or whatever instead of boot2, but others have told me it can be a problem with the individual sd card. Is there a way to check if it's installed to boot2, and if not, is it possible to reinstall even though i'm using cIOS and whatever now?

Unless you installed bootmii and chose to install to boot2, it didn't install to boot2.

The Store
May 2, 2009

FlyingCheese posted:

I've never had problems with .mkv's in MplayerCE.

I tried updating it to the latest version, and my external hard drive still refuses to be mounted.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

wheeliedude posted:

I tried updating it to the latest version, and my external hard drive still refuses to be mounted.

What drive/format?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Soooo.

I have a wii that I bought in 07, with a D2pro chip in it. Firmware 3.1E. I installed the homebrew channel from the boot disc thingy way back when, so I have the beta 8 version installed. Then I saw Wii Sports Resort was out, and thought I'd buy it. And did. But here's the problem.

I'm fairly sure I have to update the firmware to be able to use the motion+ thingy, and I'm slightly nervous about whether or not doing so will screw up its ability to run backups and/or homebrew.

Is there any way to get WSR to work while still retaining all the good bits?

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Valle posted:

Is there any way to get WSR to work while still retaining all the good bits?

Not sure if this is missing any cioses you need, but there is a manual updater here: http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko/firmware-updater-41

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sizzlechest posted:

No worries. I'm using a WD Passport (don't buy these) and my friends use Seagate FreeAgent Go drives with no problems with power consumption.

What's wrong with the Passport? I'm using one for Wiibrew right now, and it runs perfectly.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
With mplayer_ce is it possible to stream over smb while the network is offline? I' able to connect when the network is connected to the internet, but without it mplayer_ce just keeps saying "network not yet initialized" also I'm trying to playsome burned files to a dvr-r. The same disks I use for game backups, but I can never actually get a list of the files. It says "mounting" and then nothing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If there isn't a network to connect to, you can't connect to it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I have a linksys router with my pc wired to it and my wii connected to it wireless. I'm looking to stream from pc to wii without the actual internet being active. The linksys is still on, just not connected to the internet.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Phenotype posted:

What's wrong with the Passport? I'm using one for Wiibrew right now, and it runs perfectly.

It works, but you may run into problems with the hard drive going to sleep. I had to open the case and connect the internal drive to my PC to turn off the sleep function. You can only do that if you have one of the older revs that actually has a full-fledged SATA drive with an adapter.

I'm not 100% sure if the problem has been solved by the newer CIOS releases. People have claimed they no longer get lockups. I used to get locked up after doing the 10 min WiiFit boxing game before I made the fix.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sizzlechest posted:

It works, but you may run into problems with the hard drive going to sleep. I had to open the case and connect the internal drive to my PC to turn off the sleep function. You can only do that if you have one of the older revs that actually has a full-fledged SATA drive with an adapter.

I'm not 100% sure if the problem has been solved by the newer CIOS releases. People have claimed they no longer get lockups. I used to get locked up after doing the 10 min WiiFit boxing game before I made the fix.

Thankfully, that hasn't been my experience. Last time I checked the HD compatibility list, the 160GB Passport (the one I own) had no known issues. I've never known it to go into sleep mode when I had a long session of Punch Out going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sizzlechest posted:

I haven't had a problem with my WD Passport. Left my drive idling on many games countless times. I do see the Activity light flick once ever fifteen seconds, so maybe recent cIOS or loaders have fixed this, but I do not believe it is a problem any longer.

• Locked thread