Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

zandert33 posted:

My Wii was on the custom 3.3 that was released, and after I had to redownload something home the shop channel that I didn't have a backup of I was forced to upgrade to 3.4. I did the upgrade fully planning to have to downgrade afterwards, but now that I have 3.4 I have found that all the homebrew stuff still works. I'm still able to install wads, I've update my IOS, everything.

Can anybody think a reason why things are still working? I thought 3.4 broke everything?

The same thing happened to me, and everything works. I have not had a single issue. I've been using 3.4 since it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Keito posted:

By the way, I've read some bad news. Nintendo decided to go offensive in the war against homebrew. A recent note stated that any Wii with unauthorized software on it (HBC, warez poo poo, etc) is to be treated as out of warranty, and the repairs cost will be higher regardless of whether the problem is related to what users have installed, when sent into repairs. Users will also have to choose between having the software removed or not getting any repairs.

Isn't it easy enough to get rid of all traces, unless your Wii wont boot, in which case, how are they going to know?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Yeah, thats pretty much what I meant. As long as you can boot in, you can format it and they wouldn't be able to tell, unless the Wii was transmitting your play logs to Nintendo.

If you can't boot in though, like the Wii is totally trashed, they might be able to copy the internal stats in order to test for presence of HBC/other flags.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I'm going to take the plunge and try it out tomorrow when I have some time, but I'd like to know if it's possible to run any of my old GC games off of hard drive using the HD loader.

If it is, I'm going to buy a little bigger of an external hard drive, so I'd like to find out before I go and pick one up.

Also, It's not worth it to use several flash drives to store them, because of the speed, but it IS okay to use an external that powers from the USB?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bakkon posted:

Several people have written a program with a GUI to work with a WBFS partitioned drive. Simply plug it into your computer and drag/drop (almost) games onto the external drive.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wz2jzg3mwni

So with this, I wouldn't need to insert the game into the Wii in order to copy it to the drive? I was hoping I wouldn't have to go out and buy a spindle of DVDs in order to copy them, burn them, and rip them to the hard drive via the Wii.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

MZ posted:

This happens anyway with my normal Wii with disc games. Was playing Bully the other night, paused it for about 20mins, came back to it and it struggled to find the point on the disc I left it from and had to reboot the wii!

I've never had this problem with a game, even after leaving it on pause for an hour at a time. Both in Dead Rising, and Bully, for that amount of time.

I'm interested to find out if a passport is the best choice or not. I've got a 200gb partition on a 1TB external, but it needs external power, so I would prefer to not put any Wii stuff on it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Why do you own PAL games for your NTSC Wii :crossarms:

Did Fatal Frame IV come out in the PAL countries or something? Its not coming here in the states :(

Sometimes PAL games are on sale while NTSC ones aren't. I own a PAL version of Boom Blox because it was like $11 shipped.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

flea posted:

Has anyone tried Boom Blox with the USB loader? I'm using a 500gb [re]drive with a 55gb WBFS partition, and while it will rip the game fine, it won't launch it. The screen goes black, and I have to disconnect all the power from the USB drive, plug it into my computer, and delete Boom Blox through a WBFS manager to get the Wii to recognize my HD again. If I don't do that, the USB loader gives a [-1] error when I boot it.

I just ripped my Boom Blox to the HD, and it loaded, but gave me a black screen with audio only (ie: It's using NTSC not PAL) No error upon reloading

I didn't buy an external for just this yet, I just made a 100g partition in my other external (requires external power, so I don't want it for this purpose) and was pleasantly suprised at his easy it was to get everything to work.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 11, 2009

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Bought a 250gb Maxtor on clearance from best buy, 65$. I like it because it's got a special USB cable where, if you're using low power USB cables, you can plug it into two of them, and it will work. So it actually works from my laptops USB ports.

Worked perfectly fine, no problems at all.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Ryouga Inverse posted:

Nope, that was my absolute favorite thing about HDLoader on the PS2, as well. Well, that and the fact that it made my PS2 able to play games at all.

Is there a way to rename games on the disk yet? "RVL Wii Music" is sort of terrible.

You can rename files using the WBFS GUI program.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Xiu Xiu posted:

yes i have actually. i've tried all of the "tricks"

Have you tried setting up like a 100 gb partition, and formatting it with the WBFS windows program before connecting it? It's really bad luck that all 3 of yours don't work, all of my externals work with it. (Maxtor, Seagate, WD, Toshiba in an enclosure*This one shouldn't even work*)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I finally upgraded my Wiiloader from a 1.1 to 1.5 configurable one. The 1.1 game delete glitch kind of pissed me off. Having to reupload all the games to my hard drive more than once sucked because I had deleted the ISOs from my hard drive, so I just re-ripped them through the program itself.

Then I decided to install a channel forwarder, and had a lot of trouble, but mostly because I didn't even think to scroll down in the Wad installer, so I couldn't find the drat wad to install the channel. I feel so stupid whenever I try to do hack-y things.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

BlueArmyMan posted:

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to delete something and muck up the works. Thanks for the help :)

My advice is just make a direct copy of your SD card on your PC somewhere, retaining the structure. Delete random poo poo you don't want on the card until something breaks.

I'm about to install punch out, and the system update that comes with it. I never really wanted to upgrade from 3.2 but whatever.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Sizzlechest posted:

If you followed all the steps, you should have 4.0 installed. If you were doing the online version, go to step 4 and continue. Yes, you will need to reinstall the preloader when you are done.

Should be.

You should be able to strip the update out with WiiBrickblocker: http://wbb.rockman18.com/?page=download&ln=en

Yeah I actually remembered I still had that on my PC and just stripped it out. Don't want to risk screwing up anything when I have it exactly how I like it. Thanks a lot though.

Remote battery is low, gotta recharge before I can try out punchout though :-(

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Could anybody post a tutorial for removing the Wii health warning screen? I'd like to get rid of them, and googling only pulled up things that seem to be old.

Is it as simple as installing some IOS?

e: I'm actually on 3.3 not 3.2, so Starfall wont work.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I didn't buy it yet, but googling led me to-

quote:

cIOS 38 rev 13A using the usbloader gx
options for the game: force ntsc video patch ios 249 and error 002

^-- Pretty much same thing he has, also try UsbLoader 1.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Zoolooman posted:

Shmoogy, is this piracy or merely some kind of harmless console mod?

I'm confused. I just googled his problem and found someone that said they fixed a green screen error by using those settings with the GX loader. I don't have any experience with the new ghostbusters game (It's not even out yet :-/)

• Locked thread