Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UxP
Aug 27, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

Recommended Homebrew Programs

...snip...

Emulators
Snes9x GX (snes emulator)
FCE Ultra GX (nes emulator)
GxGeo (neo geo emulator)
I don't use any emulators other than these so maybe someone else could fill in their recommendations for other systems.

...snip...

Edit: OP, feel free to throw this in the OP.

Genesis Plus is a great (and the only?) Sega Genesis emu.
I'm personally looking forward to Wii64, but the developers said they needed to rewrite an engine which will basically translate the byte-code of the ROMs into assembly back in April. There hasnt been a binary release since. Though, the SVN over at Google Code is being updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Ravestory posted:

I've been out of the loop with wii homebrew for a few months now so I found some package that was full of everything for updating and cIOSes and all that.

There's a wanikiko program that's supposed to make me update to 4.0 safely, but it fails every time when it gets to the point of downloading the system menu.

I did get the USB loader working and it's quite nice. I've yet to figure out how to get the images on it. It would be greatly appreciated if somebody could tell me how to do so.

As its been said before, don't bother with 4.0.

Also, how is anyone backing up GC games? The sd/usb loader v1.5 is yelling at me that GC games are not Wii games. What am I missing?

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

You have to compile them into multi-game Wii ISOs, and the tools for doing so are posted somewhere a few pages back...

Ah, found it thanks.

Just an update, I checked out the Wii64 sourcecode last night from their SVN and compiled the development version. It is running absolutely great. With The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time, I'm getting about 16 fps. Sure, its not some massive, but it is very playable. Sound doesnt work though, but I didnt mess with any settings so that could be an oversight. I'll have to play with it some more tonight.

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

tv iv is nerds posted:

16 FPS is playable?

Compared to the average 6fps and distorted polygons in the publicly available release from over a year ago, a clean 16 fps is like an orgasm. I'll package the binary and put it up on my webhost tonight. I was thoroughly impressed in the improvement.

Although if you read their blog, they mention that the glN64_GX implementation is the fastest, however I could only get their GX_gfx implementation to compile. At lastnights revision, glN64_GX would not compile because it's missing a few things that haven't been implemented/comitted to the SVN repo yet. It's giving me enough hope to put together a nightly build script just for the hell of it. I'm also a huge nerd when it comes to this stuff, so the way they were able to put together their Dynarec ( dynamic recompiler which actually is a MIPS interpreter of sorts) is rather quite facinating. Take a look at this post: The State Of: Wii64 Dynarec if you care about this sort of stuff. Tehpola isn't just some hobbyist hacker, he knows how to code.

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Djarum posted:

It works fairly well on lower systems with already emulated features. N64 stuff has been iffy with this technique though because it seems as if Nintendo custom makes the emulator tailored to each game. This is why we haven't had many N64 games released and why you haven't seen a good working injected Goldeneye or Perfect Dark running around. Smash Bros has always worked fairly well, which is why I imagine it being released.

Awhile back someone disassembled the emulators included in the VC games and made some discoveries about what the can and can not do, but I can't find it in my googling right now. I am sure someone else in the thread can find it though.

I'm not entirely sure on the game, but I'm either thinking Bubble Bobble or Castlevania2 for the NES Virtual Console apps Nintendo had to go back and actually slow down the emulator at certain points because people were complaining it was too fast. Their emulators were actually running the game at the correct speed, which was something the original hardware couldn't do, and it was screwing up the legacy gamers.

I think I may have a SNES emu wad tucked away in my archives of backups that is actually a VC emulator ripped out of a downloadable SNES VC game with a hacked loader. It doesn't work very well, if at all on some games, and was released before the homebrew got going. It may also have a timer on it so it cant run for more than 5 minutes or some crap, due to the homebrew guys trying proof-of-concept stuff and not wanting it to look like :filez:

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

smkdan posted:

on the PC, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark seem to put alot of strain on the emulators (atleast 1964 and PJ64) which might mean similar complications in getting it to run acceptably on the Wii. with the flimsy CPU emulating the system it's easy to imagine nintendo trying a series of speed hacks with a game or something to see which ones work without upsetting the game, or maybe the emulator can't afford much in the way of accuracy and they have to add game specific hacks to cover it up.

IIRC, Goldeneye and Perfect dark actually have an extra memory chip on the cart due to them needing more memory. I know Goldeneye also was written in a way that code is executed directly off of the cart as well, instead of having the code go through the console cpu/gpu and then executed. Its very tricky to get this to work properly, and on the Wii hardware due to its rather massive limitations would have to be a lot worse.

smkdan posted:

that surprises me because I didn't see nintendo coming out with a SNES emulator that isn't proficient enough to run most games, because you definitely don't need bsnes level accuracy to run most of the stuff out there.

Well, the VC emulators are written and compiled to be optimized for a particular game, probably to cut down on bloat of the WAD package. Its similar to the way Cedega has released a do-all Cider package for linux, but they also will work with a software developer in order to build a custom Cider package to bundle up with a particular game. Some features are added, and some are removed if they aren't needed for that game. You have to think, if they can cut out 1MB of unneeded function calls from a VC game, that in turn will probably mean they will save a couple terabytes of bandwidth from the thousands if not millions of people that download it, and makes it so you can fit more games onto the limited memory.

And to not entirely derail the thread: Back to the whole GameCube games via the USB launcher thing. As I understand it, its not possible to rip your own GC games via the launcher, like with Wii games? So i'd have to dig out my GC and do the whole PSO hack again? Sorry to ask again, but after downloading 3 different programs and trying to figure some of this poo poo out, my head is spinning.

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Phenotype posted:

That's good to hear. One more thing: Anyone know how to get gcm files working with WBFS? I'm getting weird errors in WBFS Manager when I try to copy RE1

Yeah. I'm still confused as well. I'm doubting that GC games can be loaded via the USBLoader, due to the fact that when a GC game is launched, the Wii goes into GC mode, where things like the USB ports and WiiMotes are no longer supported.

If this is not the case and people are playing GC games, feel free to correct me.

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I wish one of those two would come in and post, if its not a troll.

Here's my most infuriating Google find: This loving article is a step-by-step process for ripping GC games and using WiiUI 1.4 to convert them into a Wii iso:

"The total sum file size of all your games should not exceed that of a Wii ISO. I mentioned the number earlier, but I’m gonna bring it back here to remind you: 4.37GB. You may ask why you can’t exceed this and it’s a simple answer, WiiUI is going to create a Wii ISO with the standardized Wii file size of 4.37GB exactly using the same dummy data technique we just removed from all those GC games so that the Wii recognizes the disc as a game disc."

Except this is a downright loving lie, because not only do WiiUI-created isos count as GC games in WBFS, THEY'RE NOT EVEN PADDED TO 4.37GB!

Well, even though it doesn't work, the reason that games are padded (i think) is to push the data to the end of the disc, where it can spin the disc slower and it helps preserve the life of the drive. When you are reading a game from a USB HDD, that concept really doesn't matter anymore so the padding data is stripped out and discarded. Or at least, thats my take on it based of previous experiences with these kinds of things. Thats at least why I used to pad dreamcast games when I'd reburn them.

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Ryouga Inverse posted:

I guess what I mean to say is that all the data that mattered was on the outer edge. The spiral wasn't from outside in, but it was built such that the data was always out there, even without padding.

:goonsay:

Yeah. Despite the derail, thats on a factory GD disc, so padding wasnt needed, from the factory. When someone would burn a copy onto a CD-R, the data would then get written inside out. If you happened to pad it, the DUMMY000.dat file would be written first, then the data would be written by the drive, so it would pad the game data to the outside edge. Its a technicality that really doesnt matter much. Who knows if it actually does anything in the long run, but theoretically its supposed to do something. The drive on my first DC broke long before the whole self-booting backups came around.

After reading a little bit more about the padding on GCN and Wii games it appears that the boot loader actually checks for it.

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Is there a way to make wbfs output the smaller just-the-data version of a backed up Wii game that the loader itself uses? I realize it's set up to allow a literal backup, ie. burned disc, but all I really want to do is keep a DVD set around with backups suitable for throwing back into my USB loader.

If you RAR the ISO, it will compress out the padding data to be very minimal, and you get to keep the full size ISO for later.

As for actual removal, there are Wii ISO scrubbers floating around, and I'm not sure how they work and what the final product is, nor where to get them. Google might help.

UxP
Aug 27, 2007
About a year ago a friend saw me switch games through the USB loader on my Wii without having to actually get up and switch games and decided he'd go ahead and hack his Wii to do the same. Everything was peachy until a few weeks ago when one of his kids was told there was an update, and naturally had no clue that stuff could break horribly. It was originally on 3.4U, and I really don't know what update it was, if it was a disc update, or a Wii system update, but it screwed up the system menus. It would boot directly to a black screen, no health screen, nothing.

Luckily he had BootMii installed on boot2, but didn't have a NAND backup. If I stuck my SD card in (a sandisk 2gb) bootmii would boot. For whatever reason, his PNY SD card wouldn't boot BootMii.

I ended up finding a wiihacks thread for people in that same situation. Basically, BootMii can boot executables, but those cannot have been built with libgc, which is what everything is based on. They use a custom IOS called MINI, which doesn't have Bluetooth, or USB, or a lot of hardware support. Built on top of that is a custom piece of software called cboot, which, if I understand properly, can emulate a lot of the other pieces of missing functionality of the boot2, and I managed to get into the system menu, into the Homebrew Channel, and then loaded the WAD Manager. From there, I finally was able to reinstall the system menu and then the IOSes I thought to be broken.

The moral of this story is, If you managed, and cared enough, to install BootMii as boot2, Do you have a relatively current backup? If you don't, its a pain in the rear end to fix, so go backup your goddamned NAND. Make sure you can properly boot into BootMii if necessary, and rename the folder if it annoys you whenever you turn on your Wii, but don't delete it. Make sure you have a copy of these things tucked away safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Terror Van posted:

EDIT: It appears that it cannot detect my USB stick, or my USB hard drive enclosure despite it being on the compatibility list. The hard drive just spins up and down continously.

I've had issues with USB Thumb drives, but there are enough people that say they work that I don't know what the problem could be. If the USB HDD is a portable drive, like the Western Digital MyPassport type enclosure, you might not be getting enough power out of the port. The Wii has some fantastically cheap hardware inside. Sometimes it just sucks. Make sure its properly formatted to be WBFS, or whatever your loader supports. Or try another drive.

• Locked thread