Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
I thought the only thing that didn't work with 3.4 was the DVD-stuff. If that's the case, then it shouldn't take long now that it's working again.

What doesn't work with 3.4u currently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

zandert33 posted:

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but I don't remember:

Is there a program for homebrew that can be used to backup Smash Brothers or Mario Kart game saves? I have to get my Wii repaired, and though they said they'd try to back it up, I'd rather be safe then sorry.
Can't you do this with just a regular SD-card like you do with the zelda save when you installed the homebrew channel?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Games with online functionality have saves that can't be copied to SD card without the tools listed above. This goes for Wiiware games too, which is a pest for games like Dr Mario as without homebrew you can't delete the game off your harddrive to reinstall later as it'll reset your Friend Code.
Ohhh. I see, heh.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

All About Trout posted:

Is there any real reason to keep wiiconnect24 off? I read somewhere to turn it off, I guess that was just recommended to avoid getting the update messages.
Nah, it's just paranoia that nintendo might ship an update that will install itself automatically and remove the possibility for homebrew.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Echophonic posted:

It's not really paranoia when they added the silent autoupdate to 3.4 and have been doing stuff to break homebrew with every patch.
They didn't actually add anything to auto-update the wii as far as I know. Only an agreement that they would have the right to auto-update it if they choose to.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_System_Updates
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_Versions

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Sizzlechest posted:

You should update the OP warning people who have LU64/LU64 Wiis. They can brick their Wii trying to upgrade.
How would I know if this is the case?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

I really need to get fix this soon. I really suspect the dvd-drive in my wii is dying. Zelda freezes between every room for at least 10 seconds, or about 5 seconds when opening a chest. You can hear the drive-head going backwards and forwards all the time.

This only started to happen lately when my wii has been laying down. I should try to keep it standing and see if there's any difference.

Anybody have any similar experience or am I just unlucky?

Too bad all the offline guides assume you have windows. The bat-files don't run in wine. :(

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Would you really need bootmii for restoring a bricked wii though?

As I understand it, as long as you have preloader you could run the CIOS downgrader, or just the 4.0 updater again either via the homebrew channel or by itself, right?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Phenotype posted:

I just followed all the steps in this guide to get to 4.0, except that IOS Downgrader won't work at any point during the series. Also, the IOS60 patcher hung up after counting from 1/15 - 15/15 of some file, and I had to hard reset the Wii.

Yeesh, not sure where stuff got hosed up exactly. :( At least most homebrew is still working.
Does it also fail on the cIOS38-rev13 installer that you run at the beginning?

In that case, you're in the same spot I was. I used this guide to get wad-installation working and then ran the online method of the gbatemp guide. Worked like a charm.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Colonel Pancreas posted:

I just installed Homebrew Channel and now my motion control doesn't work at all. It was working perfectly fine all day yesterday, but now it is just borked. Any advice?
HBC shouldn't have anything to do with it. Very weird. Did you just install HBC or any cIOS stuff?

Also, do you have another controller to try and see if it has the same problem?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

AccountingNightmare posted:

I've been reading through this thread, but the more I read, the more I confuse myself. Basically, I want to update to 4.0, as I play a lot of VC/Wiiware games. My Wii is currently 3.4E, and has the Homebrew Channel beta 9 on it. The only thing I use homebrew for is playing import games using GeckoOS, but I'd like to keep doing this. Would like to install Preloader as well, to fix any bricks I may accidentally cause.

What do I do first? Install Preloader? Update to 4.0? What else will I need to do?
I think the first thing you should do is install the patched IOS35, the cIOS36 and the cIOS249. Then you can just follow the gbatemp online-guide. That should get you setup with 4.0 and preloader, and you're all set if something else shows up down the line.

Not sure if installing the IOS and cIOS stuff is necessary though, you could just try and run with the gbatemp guide. If the first step fails though, upgrade to 4.0 then use this guide and then continue with the gbatemp one. It's what I did.

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 7, 2009

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

bulbous nub posted:

Ok, I just decided to dink around with Wiibrew again, and, having read the OP, I have a question or two.

I'm running System 3.3U with the Twilight Hack with HBC beta 9. Can I go ahead and do the system update to System 4.0 (or whatever is newest) without any problems? I assume I'll have to do the homebrewing again, using this new Bannerbomb exploit, right?

I'm really behind on this whole things, which just goes to show me that I shouldn't drop and pick things up randomly. It just comes back to bite me in the rear end one way or another.
I think this is pretty much the preferred way of doing it. Update to 4.0U, use bannerbomb to install cIOS254, then follow that gbatemp guide that sizzle posted here.

I think you might be able to skip a bit of the guide if you're already on 3.3U and maybe have cIOS254 installed, but I'm very unsure.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Sewer Shark posted:

(I also tried boot.dol)
Was this actually a converted file or did you just try to rename the .elf?

Anyhow, that gbatemp guide that keeps popping up every once in a while should contain a link with all the files needed to get this thing running.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Sewer Shark posted:

Oh I just renamed it... I couldn't find anything that was actually a .dol.

I got it working with that gbatemp guide. I was a victim of my own idiocy.
There is a tool for converting between dol- and elf-files linked somewhere in this thread though, should you need it in the future. You most likely won't, though.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Matt Cruea posted:

QUICK! If I turn off my console during the middle of an update, will anything truly bad happen?
I think the nintendo updater says you can if you don't want an update, but I wouldn't risk it unless I had preloader.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Guess the seek time running off HD is much less.
Which is one of the reasons games started to become installable to a hard-drive in the older days. Same with the Xbox I figure. :)

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Cowman posted:

I just installed the Homebrew channel and I'm a little lost as to what I need to install next. I read the OP and it talks about the Homebrew Browser, what do I need to get from that? What are the recommended applications to get and install? I'm on 3.3U, and I plan on updating to 4.1 as soon as I can. Also, how do I recreate my BootMii backup? I used a friend's SD Card to mod my Wii, but now I can use my own so I want to make sure I have a backup on my computer.
The homebrew browser will let you download and install applications directly on the wii. It'll also keep track of application updates and whatnot. It's pretty nice to have.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Does this work when updating stuff through the homebrew browser though?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

HeraldAngel576 posted:

Quick question, and this may be obvious but I have no experience with running things off a hard drive for Wii. I know (from reading this thread) that you can run full games off a hard drive, but is it possible to access Rock Band DLC songs from it, or does that still need a SD card?
You still need a SD card I think, and not even that works if you run the game from a harddrive apparently.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but are there any kind of forwarders that I could install to make my most frequently used apps (ie Mplayer CE, VBAGX, Snes9x and fceu) show up on the wii system menu as separate channels?

And how safe would this be?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Keito posted:

Sure there are, Google will reveal several of them. This one for SNES9x GX looks niiice, but I haven't tested it. DON'T BLAME ME IF YOU DO!!!

Modifying the NAND is always a risk, and a poorly written channel could brick your System Menu, but if you make sure to check that the particular piece of code is well tested and stuff, it should be safe enough, really. Just make sure you've made a backup with BootMii to stay out of trouble.
Was thinking if there was something I could use to forward all of the channels, not just snes9x. I guess my google-fu will have to suffice. Thank you.

I didn't back up my NAND however, but I did install bootmii. Now would be the time I guess, but how should I proceed to do this?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Zom Aur posted:

I didn't back up my NAND however, but I did install bootmii. Now would be the time I guess, but how should I proceed to do this?
Ah, apparently BootMii doesn't recognize my SD-card on boot. That sucks. Well, I installed BootMii to a IOS too and I'm currently dumping the NAND. Should anything gently caress up I'd rather just have to buy a new SD-card than a wii.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

FlyingCheese posted:

BootMii as an IOS won't give you a complete NAND dump. Use bootmii on boot2 for backup.
Huh, read somewhere that it the dump was okay, it was just that you couldn't use the IOS to restore it later.

Oh well.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

FlyingCheese posted:

Oh, maybe that's it. It makes more sense that way actually.

Though without boot2 BootMii, the dump is completely useless.

Zom posted:

Ah, apparently BootMii doesn't recognize my SD-card on boot. That sucks. Well, I installed BootMii to a IOS too and I'm currently dumping the NAND. Should anything gently caress up I'd rather just have to buy a new SD-card than a wii.
In other words, should I brick my wii, I'll buy a working SD-card to restore the NAND from. :)

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

xarph posted:

Wiibrew Megathread: Prints burritos to screen when down is pressed.
Wiibrew Megathread: It knows burritos

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

You can remove bannerbomb as soon as you have the homebrew channel installed.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Luisfe posted:

Once again, is there any way at all to use my SD-Stored Guitar Hero DLC while using USB Loader?
Once again, no, not posted in this thread anyway. You're out of luck, sorry.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Did anyone else having an issue where the homebrew channel just stayed on the bubble screen after loading from the sd card. I let it sit for a few mintues and all it did was display the bubble screen.
Yep, I usually reboot when it happens.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieet.
My thoughts exactly.

I love how every time nintendo releases a new update everyone freaks out and ask if they should unplug their wii.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Workarounds will come, no doubt about it. Just wait, unless you're itching to get that wii shop title right at this very moment.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

I wonder if you could just patch the shop channel to not check for system channel version, or to not care about what it finds?
Or just patch the current system channel to report a false version?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah no kidding, I can't believe they'd risk modifying boot2 with such questionable code, and then ultimately not accomplish much of anything.
Welcome to the world of "NO, you can't run YOUR code on OUR hardware". Just take a look at the PSP and how Sony handled it.

Then again, Sony never risked the actual usability of the console with their efforts to contain homebrew.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

I guess the best way right now would be to wipe all homebrew from it before you update. That way, if it bricks, you'll still have warrantly left.

After that, just install HBC and stuff again from bannerbomb.

Official word seems to be just to ignore 4.2 right now though. My guess is that they'll work on a patch for the new IOSes which will neuter all the brickable poo poo it pulls.

Just my guess though.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

You don't need to downgrade to do anything. You could update to 4.0 and then bannerbomb the fucker. That's what I'd do, but I don't know where you can select which version to upgrade to.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

Works reasonably well, but isn't perfect yet, obviously. Played StarFox 64 on it, and the voices are only SLIGHTLY distorted... but the "Z" button (L on the Gamecube controller) doesn't work, making dodging harder and Landmaster Hovering impossible, which is frustrating...
No, it's just bound to "Z" instead of "L" on the controller for some reason.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

It doesn't want you to update your system menu IOS, but some other IOS. So you'd still be at 4.2, but some other IOS would be updated.

I don't know if it's safe or not, but there are more IOSes than just the system menu one.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Sturm posted:

So is the OP severely outdated and this LU64/65 thing doesn't matter anymore? I was looking around on a few different sites and I didn't see anything mentioning it as a factor for homebrew.
I might be wrong, but I think that's just a factor if you're downgrading. Shouldn't matter now.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

You can fix that with a reinstall of the homebrew browser.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

I looked around the brawl+ site, but didn't find anything about USBLoaderGX. Anybody got brawl+ working with that?

If so, mind posting instructions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

The Azn Sensation posted:

No, I said I regret buying one with it on it. I just wanted to play Monster Hunter.

EDIT: But either way, obviously I should have done more research, thanks for pointing out the obvious. I hosed up and asked for help, not to be told what I already know.
Do you know exactly what crappy homebrew poo poo is on it? Did you get a list or can you contact the original owner or something?

If bootmii is installed, you might not be so hosed for example.

• Locked thread