Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
As someone said, you can also just rename the bootmii folder to something else. Then, if you ever need to use bootmii just plug the card into a PC and name it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Fallon posted:

OK, I've not checked this for about 6 months; can I stream media from my PC to my Wii yet?
MplayerCE does this with samba (default way to share files in windows). There's also WiiMC that supports samba, ftp and http. I haven't tried that one myself though.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

When this happened me, it was because my SD-card had become somewhat corrupted. Just do a filesystem check on it to be sure, though I'd recommend just taking a backup of anything important and just reformat.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Zorilla posted:

With USB Loader GX, it could only update itself properly if installed on the SD card. The same is probably true for other loaders.
Older versions, yes, but newer versions can update itself regardless if it's installed as a wad or on a SD-card.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

I just updated my CFG Loader to v57, and there is now a video patch option called sneek. Can someone tell me what that actually is, and should I turn it on or not?
As far as I know, sneek is a way to load a IOS from a file on a memstick, so you could boot into, say 4.3, without making any permanent changes to your wii.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Armor-Piercing posted:

So I've been using WiiFlow to load backups for a while now, no real problems. I just finished installing the last of my games to the drive (Rune Factory, The Conduit, No More Heroes, Monster Hunter Tri, Fire Emblem), then downloaded missing box art (I had a few other games that I still needed to download images for as well, but I can't remember what they were). It went through and downloaded everything as normal, but when the bar was just about full it jumped back to HBC. Now if I load WiiFlow it will boot up, I'll see my games (unfortunately it's at a point in the list where I can't see if the new images even downloaded correctly), and it doesn't even stay long enough for me to enable the remote again before jumping back to HBC again.

I just started up USB Loader GX and it's still good so far, so I'm currently downloading all the images through that to see what happens. While that's going though, any thoughts on what could be wrong? Corrupted image or something?
Probably just a corrupted image. Just clean out the covers folder, or make a backup of it.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Why not just scrub it yourself? :confused:
Or use wbfs which pretty much does this automatically IIRC.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's been asked a million times (including by me since I forget every time I get an answer) but I'm gonna ask it again: what's the best way to check out what IOS files I have installed and to get new ones, including custom IOS files for USB loaders and whatnot, without an internet-connected Wii? Am I going to be able to do everything I need to do by downloading files to PC and then copying them over via SD card? Is there one USB loader and one custom IOS loader I should be using or is everything as fractured as it was last time I checked?
I think ModMii can do this for you.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Okay, another question: is there a version of ModMii that runs on XP/Win32? The installer for 4.45 won't work, and I don't have any choice but to use this computer.
Oh, sorry, I meant DOP-mii. :downs:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

OK, so let's say you're not running Windows.
Use DOP-mii then I guess?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Twitch posted:

Really? Sweet. Are there any good Homebrew Gamecube games that haven't gotten Wii versions?

I hardly play my Wii anymore, and it seems like when I do, it's just to mess around with this kind of stuff and play Ur-Quan Masters or Tyrian.
I'd think most would already be ported, since it's pretty much the same hardware IIRC, so a port would be trivial.

I think the snes9x-port is based on the gamecube one, for example, but I could be wrong.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

whiskas posted:

I'll use the forwarder for now, it should be compatible with any version?
AFAIK, the forwarder just looks for a specific dol-file in a specific folder. As long as the new version uses the same path for the dol-file, it should just work.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Rukus posted:

It depends on the loader. The latest release of ConfigurableUSB Loader supports NTFS, but I know a lot of the emulators will only support FAT32/FAT. Your best bet would be to partition the HDD as FAT32 for the emulators and NTFS for your loader.
I think you mean FAT for the loader and NTFS for the emulators.

However, if you're making a separate partition for the loader anyway, why not just use wbfs instead?

v⁻⁻ Oh, I see.

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 21, 2011

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Or you can just change the game to boot from an alternate dol (I chose to load it from the game, and the offset automatically selected 301 as dol offset), start the game, watch the tutorial video for motion plus, then switch back to not starting from an alternate dol when the video is finished.

E: I would recommend you run it from the disc though, kinda wish I did. The tutorial audio is all screwed up when you run it through the loader.

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 28, 2011

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

I just ripped it to the harddrive and played it that way. Worked flawlessly so far.

As the above poster pointed out, just use modmii or dopmii to update the wii if you encounter issues. For the record, I'm on system menu 4.2 too.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Thanks. I have a 500 GB Seagate external hard drive, that should be good. How well does the USB loader work with playing games off the memory stick?
Depends on the loader in question I'd imagine. I don't think USB Loader GX would even start if you don't have a harddrive plugged in.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Travis343 posted:

I've been poking around in the early pages of the thread for information about Gamecube backups. I found this MultiGame ISO program that packs 2-3 Cube games onto a single ISO that's apparently readable by the Wii. The only problem I'm having is how to get the Wii to read this ISO. Configurable USB Loader requires the number of the Wii game to be in the filename, whether it's a WBFS or an ISO, yes? I'd really prefer not to have to burn this to a DVD, and I don't think my Wii can read burnt DVDs anyway. DVDx is supposed to enable burnt DVDs but it's apparently too old to run on the current IOS. Tried to run ios36 using MultiModManager but it still errors out on me. Any advice?
You can't run gamecube backups from a USB-harddrive, even if you bundle them to an ISO-file and have that in your game library.

The reason for this is that when the wii enters gamecube mode, it kills the USB-ports (along with the bluetooth support, so no wiimotes either), resulting in it being unable to read the ISOs from the drive.

DVDx was just to enable the wii to read movie dvd's (along with mplayer for example). It has nothing to do with games and is considered outdated anyway afaik.

You'll need to burn the ISO to a dvd and then run some kind of backup loader. I have something called backup launcher 0.3g installed, but that's probably way out of date by now, and I don't know whether it'd even work with this kind of thing.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Dystonym posted:

Hey, I'm trying to set up a WiiMC SMB share. I had one working totally fine but something or other happened and I had to get rid of it. Now for some reason I cannot for the loving life of me get it to work.

I have:
checked all my advanced sharing options
got the share name right
got the IP right (it's my IvP4 address in IP config that I want, right?)
got the username right
not using a password (disabled it in advance sharing)

but when I try to connect to the share, I just get a "Failed to connect to network" error.

Any idea what is wrong?
Restart WiiMC. Sometimes it just fails to connect to the wireless network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Grawl posted:

What did you install? Some CIOS/other "hacks" may disable the feature to play legit games. For example, when you install DIOS MIOS, you can't play GameCube discs anymore.
Actually:

Ballz posted:

Squall posted:

It looks like the latest DIOS MIOS update fixes disc loading.
Confirmed working again. Man, this is so great, especially after years of hearing "Gamecube games will never play from a backup USB." Next I hope the expand NMM functionality, because seriously, I really hate Gamecube memory cards.

• Locked thread