Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

cLin posted:

Regarding the list of media players posted above, do any of them allow smooth dvd movie playback yet?

Not really, I don't think there's been any improvement since the initial implimentation of the DVDX thing. There are a million different versions of MPlayer, 90% of which are useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

zandert33 posted:

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but I don't remember:

Is there a program for homebrew that can be used to backup Smash Brothers or Mario Kart game saves? I have to get my Wii repaired, and though they said they'd try to back it up, I'd rather be safe then sorry.

You'll need this to dump the saves to SD and this to put them back on the Wii's hard drive. Keep in mind that if you're getting your Wii repaired by Nintendo, the act of using homebrew even to just back up your saves may void your warranty.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zom Aur posted:

Can't you do this with just a regular SD-card like you do with the zelda save when you installed the homebrew channel?

Games with online functionality have saves that can't be copied to SD card without the tools listed above. This goes for Wiiware games too, which is a pest for games like Dr Mario as without homebrew you can't delete the game off your harddrive to reinstall later as it'll reset your Friend Code.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Firmware version 3.5 is being rolled out (in Korea at least, so who knows what that means for the rest of the world). Be prepared, I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3.4 manually deletes a couple of things, like the older version of the DVDx stub, and prevents you from re-installing them if you don't already have the Homebrew Channel installed. Since it was released pretty much everything has been updated to work with 3.4, including the Twilight Hack, so while there's no real advantage to updating it's not as inhibiting as it originally was.

Anyway, there's a Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup port now, hopefully it's not too glitchy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Epileper posted:

How would one update to a later firmware but not the latest one? I'm running 3.1u at the moment, I'd like to update to 3.2u.

That version of the firmware will install from a copy of Wii Fit or Mario Kart, so if you have access to either of those it'd be the easiest bet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Yeah, it always seemed disingenuous toname the ticket "Homebrew Channel" to me, why not name it after Wii Sports or something so as not to raise suspicion?

Epileper posted:

And it wouldn't disable the homebrew channel or anything like that?
Thank you for your help.

Nope, 3.2 is the last firmware revision before Nintendo started actively blocking that stuff. You won't be able to access the Wii Shop Channel, though, unless you use the Wii Shop Updater found on the Wiibrew wiki.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This is what 4.0 does for homebrew, according to the wiki:

*Twilight Hack 0.1 beta 2 savefile is again broken, so you won't be able to install the Homebrew Channel if you haven't already

*DVDx stub blocked from installation

*Homebrew Channel still installs to the hard-drive (I think? how would you even do it without the Twilight Hack) but if copied to SD it will not run

If this stuff's already on your Wii before you update then you should apparently be fine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ddraig posted:

I'm really unfamiliar with WAD stuff. I somehow managed to downgrade my Wii to 3.2, though. Would it be feasible to just install the SD functionality from 4.0 without the rest using wads?

Eventually it'll be possible, but definitely not right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ballz posted:

So at this point, do I just download and install the latest update? I thought the Wii Shop/IOS51 installer was supposed to have done that for me...

The 10551 installer did provide the latest Shop update until about eight hours ago when System Menu 4.0 was rolled out. 4.0 uses a new IOS for both the Shop and the new SD functionality, I believe, so you'll have to wait until one of the homebrew dorks comes up with a standalone patcher for that stuff, or just roll the dice with the official firmware upgrade.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So the GBA emulator got updated, complete with motion controls for a whole bunch of games. I'm about to try it now, it'd be neat if Mario Kart and WarioWare Twisted and whatever else work well with them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, tried it with Mario Kart, works about as well as could be expected. Some of the control schemes are pretty pointless, though - who'd want to play the 2D Metroids with the Corruption control scheme, or the 2D Mario games with the Galaxy control scheme? Plus, why isn't there motion support for Super Monkey Ball?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does the USB loader also support SD cards? It's not as if the Wii's library warrants anything more than 16GB of space anyway, so it'd be handy to not have a thumb drive sticking out the back of the console.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just saw this - some has finally gotten around to adding network support to QuakeGX. I haven't tried it, and judging on the comments it doesn't look like it works too well, but it's about time either way.

EDIT: there's also a whole new Quake port that already features online play, but it's based off the DS port, of all things, so I doubt it's very good.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 25, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Space Kimchi posted:

If I've already updated to 4.0 can I do the twilight hack and such?

No.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So I've been trying out the online features of the latest Quake Wii build and from what I can tell it's connecting to the default server just fine but no-one's ever in there so I don't have a clue whether everything's working as it should. Anyone else have any luck playing online?

EDIT: didn't have the registered PAK on the card, figures. Online play works! I don't know if it's the fault of the port or my connection but it's a bit laggy, especially the Nunchuk controls.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 4, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

scottch posted:

Do you know if it's using NetQuake net code or QuakeWorld? Doesn't mention on that page, but the lag sounds exactly like NetQuake.

Yeah, it's based on some other guy's port which was based on NetQuake. There's a half-second lag between shooting/jumping and it actually happening, and your movement is jerky and doesn't stop unless you change directions. So this is all totally independant of connection speed? There's so little progress being made on non-pirac-related homebrew that I'm hoping this isn't the best we're gonna get in regards to Quake.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So I updated everything I could via WiiSCU, complete with trucha patching, but NPC Pikmin 2 is still prompting a system update when I put in the disc. What am I missing?

EDIT: the SD Menu thing didn't install either, I thought that was part of the package? Don't tell me I'm going to actually do something here.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 25, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Xythar posted:

Try launching the game with GeckoOS and see if it actually works or not. If it does, then your problem is just that it's checking at all. You can disable update checks with Starfall or Preloader, or just run all your games through GeckoOS or USB Loader.

What system menu are you on?

I'm on 3.3E + a bunch of newer IOS's that I don't remember, but I am/was sure I'd updated with everything necessary for newer games (Madworld didn't give me the update prompt, for example). Hmm. How do I check what 1OS files are installed again?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 25, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bubble-T posted:

This poo poo confuses me :(

I'm in Australia and it's going to be god knows how long until we get Rock Band 2 so I want to import a copy from a different region. Is there a guide specifically for getting region-free running using homebrew? Will RB2 running region free still be compatible with GH:WT instruments (I see no reason why not..)? Am I going to have any trouble using the DLC store beyond being in the wrong region?

If anyone can help me out here I'd be grateful.

Rock Band 2 is out in the UK, which is a PAL region, so it'll work perfectly on an Aussie Wii straight out of the case, and that includes DLC.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 26, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
.dol and .elf files run through the Homebrew Channel. WADs need to be installed with a program such as Wad Installer, which can be booted from the HBC. Funny how that works.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Wii doesn't natively recognise regular CDs and I don't think any of the media players do (or will) either. It's annoying as I'm in a similar situation.

While I'm here: can we get the OP updated or start a new thread so that all the frequently-asked questions are covered?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So I lent my Wiimotes to a relative who wanted to play Resort as the MotionPlus dealios were connected and I didn't trust them to be able to connect/disconnect them themselves without breaking them. What's the best way to load/play games with a Gamecube pad?

A new Gamecube game just arrived (Sonic Adventure DX, PAL game/console) and I've been trying to play it by using Preloader to boot to the HBC and then using GeckoOS to load the game, but when it attempts to load the screen goes black and the disc drive flashes blue for a second and then nothing. Is this just a GeckoOS thing? With no Wiimotes I can't check to see if it boots normally. What other options do I have?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Evil Fiend posted:

Using hacks.ini with Preloader you can make it autoload the disc channel if you hold down the shoulder button.

Tried this and I think it's working, but the game doesb't boot. So frustrating... I suspect it's the game that's at fault but having no Wiimotes means I can't just do things normally to check.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does anyone have that six-step list for safely updating your firmware? 4.0, I think. I downloaded all the programs it listed but forgot to bookmark it so I can't follow the instructions.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He's not talking about the health notice, he's talking about the amount of time it takes to transition from one screen to another. Mine does that too in lots of places - between the health warning and the menu, when flicking through pages in the Wii's settings, when starting channels - and it only started happening when I started installing new IOS files. I've never bothered to isolate exactly what causes it as I don't really care, but I can see why people find it a nuisance.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just coming to post that myself. From the Wiibrew wiki:

quote:

Version 4.2 of the System Menu was released on September 28, 2009.

Changes

Deletes most homebrew.
Now uses IOS70.
Wii Shop Channel updated.

Affected homebrew

Bannerbomb - Doesn't work. Use Indiana Pwns or Comex's SmashStack beta.
BootMii - BootMii will cease to exist. Wait for an update to the HackMii Installer.
Homebrew Channel - It is uninstalled with this update. See above.
cIOS - Popular piracy cIOS locations are stubs. Don't pirate.
Preloader 0.29 - Not loaded any more due to IOS70 being as the System Menu. Wait for an update

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Wii is incapable of downloading/installing anything in the background - it needs to be prompted, therefore it won't download anything unless you tell it to.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mill Village posted:

So I take it there is no way to skip downloadable updates? There's some Wiiware I would like to buy. :(

In the past people have made programs that'll update the Shop Channel and leave everything else alone so that you can keep on buying poo poo without breaking homebrew. From the looks of things that won't be as easy this time as the System Menu hinges on a new IOS, so updating the Shop Channel on its own probably won't work. My guess is it's in preparation for the VC referral scheme that's coming soon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So the most straightforward way to update would be to just download the update and let it delete whatever homebrew it deletes and then just install the new HackMii thing via the new Bannerbomb fix? People are acting like 4.2 has been torn right open but there's still some loss of functionality, right? Will I still be able to install custom channels/WADs, for example?

Also, here is a compatibility list for Wii64. Has anyone tried it for themselves? I ask because the list says that Banjo-Kazzoie/Tooie run at almost full speed with no major glitches or anything which sounds pretty loving good for a first beta.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cojawfee posted:

You can move around channels wherever you want.

You can't move the Disc Channel without some specific homebrew utility (maybe even a Preloader hack? can't remember).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So I'm messing with a friend's Wii, trying to add DVDX and the USB Channel and all that good stuff but he's on 3.4E and it won't install anything through Wad Manager. What have I got to do? Just downgrade to 3.2? How do you do that again? I've totally forgotten.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hohebrew Channel is already on there, I don't need to bannerbomb anything. The issue is that WADs don't install - error 2011 or whatever it is, which probably means some IOS needs to be trucha-signed or whatever but I haven't done it in ages and don't remember how or what or blah blah blah.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is there a site anywhere that lists the size of Wii ISOs or whatever? It'd be nice to be able to work out the total size of all my Wii games before I pick up a new external harddrive.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What does everyone else think about the Wii64 beta? I've tried a couple of games with it (Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Mortal Kombat 4) and it works pretty well. Five minutes of each Banjo game seemed to work pretty well, aside from the occasional audio glitch, and MK4 looked and played fine but the HUD wasn't visible (plus you can't remap the controls so it's not really playable on a CC/GC pad).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Some people just appreciate how neat/clean it is to just stick an SD card in and not have to deal with finding space for a HDD or whatever.

That brings me to my question: is it possible/easy to make HDD loader channels for the menu that will boot a specific game from the HDD directly? I ask because I'm setting up a Wii with homebrew for a friend as an Xmas gift to his kids and I don't think he trusts them to be able to boot anything unless it's completely simple and child-proof, so I figure a "Wii Sports Channel" or whatever might help streamline the whole process.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So not only did the vanilla Quake port (Q1Rev) get an update that gives it full feature support but there's now ports of the QuakeWorld client (QWRev) and Quake 2 (minus CTF, Q2Rev). Awesome.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is there an SD card compatibility list for backup loaders? I know there's a list for USB devices but I haven't seen one for SD cards anywhere.

Also, quoting myself because I find it amusing that homebrew ports of Quake and Quake 2 are the best FPS games on Wii:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

So not only did the vanilla Quake port (Q1Rev) get an update that gives it full feature support but there's now ports of the QuakeWorld client (QWRev) and Quake 2 (minus CTF, Q2Rev). Awesome.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So how are people ripping their retail games from the console to USB/SD these days? I've been using the guide outlined here but I haven't used in in a while and I'm wondering if there's anything faster/more stable/better at this point in time. Any idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You need to go through a particular process to get Trilogy working on hard-drives because it contains individual .dol files for each game. I don't even know if it works properly yet (it probably does, I just don't follow USB loader stuff very heavily as I don't use it).

• Locked thread