Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Luisfe posted:

Has anyone tried the new Visual Boy Advance? The last two updates were pretty drat bad.

Works great for me, it seems slightly faster and doesn't have the bugs the previous version had. By the way, if MPlayerCE is really that good this means I can finally retire Geexbox, which is kind of finicky and likes to break. MPlayerCE also plays DVDs if you have DVDx installed, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Does anyone know if it's possible to run games that use the SPC7110 compression chip and therefore require graphics packs with SNES9x GX? I can't really find any information about this anywhere.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

That is both hilarious and really, really depressing.

Why are you so dumb, Nintendo?

Well, it's pretty obvious that Nintendo designed the Wii to be as cost-effective as possible because there was a pretty high chance of it bombing and I assume those shortcomings are mostly leftovers of the Gamecube days. Does anyone know anything about how the Gamecube worked so they can confirm/deny this?

Also, has anyone tried DOS Box Wii yet and if yes, does it work well? It would be cool if they added a frontend to it but if it works well enough I'm willing to dabble with it until I can get it to work without one (I still have some DOS skills left from back in the day so it shouldn't be too hard, I guess.)

fixelbrumpf fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 11, 2009

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Sounds good, I'm probably gonna get a wireless keyboard (never really saw the need for one) just for DOS Box Wii -- the thought of playing DOS games on my TV while chillaxing on my couch sounds pretty awesome. I hope the Wiimote works well enough as a mouse substitute, having to use a mouse doesn't seem all that couch-friendly.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

fishmech posted:

Don't expect DOSBox Wii to work for you if you haven't plugged in a USB keyboard (or PS/2 keyboard in a USB converter) to your Wii. The performance is pretty drat good in it! DOOM 2 runs in it at the same speed as my 2900 mhz Pentium MMX oldgames PC, so I would say any DOS game that requires that level of performance or less will run for you in it. It also helps to have a USB mouse plugged in.

OK, I finally got around to dabbling around with it, but I'm getting terrible performance all around, even in old Sierra adventure games (I tried Space Quest 5 and it felt like running it on a 286). Did you do any tweaks to your .conf file?

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

I hope they'll be able to keep the sound from garbling up when the framerate slows down in future releases, it happens in pretty much any game I tried (like Banjo-Kazooie, which runs great apart from that and a couple disappearing textures) and yeah, the ensuing ear rape is somewhat annoying. Still, the progress the emulator is making seems to be pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Yeah, each VC game comes with an integrated emulator tailored specifically to a single game. It's all done in software, the Wii doesn't have something like a chip that ensures N64 backwards compatibility. Personally, what I hate about the VC N64 games is that as I'm in Europe, I have to use the PAL versions which run slower and choppier due to the 50Hz conversion as PAL60 wasn't around yet back then. As N64 games generally do not have the most amazing framerates, this makes the situation even worse. With Wii64, however, the games that work well in it run a lot smoother than the PAL VC versions.

elf help book posted:

The Wii's OS is weird as hell
Agreed, it's almost like the drat thing is a console. :v:

fixelbrumpf fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 25, 2010

• Locked thread