Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
I'm sure this question has been answered in some way in the past several pages, but is there any reason to not upgrade to 4.1 before doing bannerbomb? I have 3.4U right now, will upgrading before doing the banner bomb disable anything that I could have done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Senor Tron posted:

Any reason to not just go with preloader? I haven't tried loading discs from another region on it yet, but it seems like you won't even need to worry about a channel, just insert the disc like normal and go.

I don't think there are any risks, although I don't know how easy it is to actually uninstall. On April 1st it will trick you into thinking you bricked your system, but if you press A enough it'll pass the screen

In any case, I'm pretty sure I'm completely set with hacking my Wii. I ended up just following some recent guides off of gbatemp.net.

This one is more well written: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168890&st=0

But this one can get you updated to 4.1 with an offline install (the network install kept timing out for me: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

I have no idea what this will do to LU64+ systems.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Keito posted:

Just put a USB Loader GX guide in the OP, let me know if it's missing something.

Someone could probably explain it better than me, but the program uLoader can run some things that USB Loader GX can't. It might be worth mentioning to use that (along with the custom modified 222 & 223 cios) if something isn't playing back properly off of USB Loader GX.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Lobster Maneuver posted:

This is a stupid question, but what's the most updated WAD installer? I want to install the channel forwarder for USB Loader GX and the WAD installer I used to get to 4.0 (the one that installs to CIOS 249) is giving me errors.

I'm pretty sure Waninkoko is doing the most work on keeping an up to date WAD installer: http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blogs/waninkoko (it's in spanish, but comes with an english installer)

Everything I've installed so far has worked, as has the uninstallation.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

CraigK posted:

All I've done to the Wii is bannerbombed and literally nothing else (no DVDX, no Preloader, etc.) What should I do to make sure I don't completely brick my system at some point in the future?

Assuming you were able to install bootmii to boot2, you'll want to make a full backup of your nand. This way you'll be able to return to as close to a stock Wii as possible before you go messing with things.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Valle posted:

Is there any way to get WSR to work while still retaining all the good bits?

Not sure if this is missing any cioses you need, but there is a manual updater here: http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko/firmware-updater-41

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
I got the Freeagent Go at Sizzlechest's recommendation, and I couldn't be more happy. Newegg had it on sale with a dock, so not only does it look nice and pretty next to the Wii, but you can easily disable sleep and hard drive light in the Seagate options. Perfect!

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Sizzlechest posted:

IOS 249 is Waninkoko's cIOS. It's currently at rev 14 and works great except for a few games. Hermes' IOS 222/223 is an alternative cIOS you can use for games Waninkoko's cIOS has problems with.

Read this for info on how to install Hermes' cIOS: http://gwht.wikidot.com/hermes-ios222-223

I really like the Hermes IOS. Anything that USB loader has problems with runs flawlessly with the Hermes Ios and the ULoader launcher.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
That's a hell of a problem. From all of the teardown webpages I just pursued, getting to the bare DVD drive looks rather difficult. Further than that, it doesn't particularly look like it would do you a lot of good. It's a slot loaded mechanism even on it's own. Chances are anything you would want do to it you could do to it still connected. I'd suggest trying to fetch it out with a long shim, maybe crafted from a manilla folder or something.

Alternatively, you already have homebrew on there. You could just go whole hog and forgo the disc channel and put on a USB loader. You can rip your Wii discs to computer, scrub them, and transfer them to the USB drive. While the whole process could take about 20 minutes a disc, actually loading the games can be faster and more convenient. It's worth looking into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

helopticor posted:

:eng101: "shiro" (written on that box) is Japanese for white. It was pretty smart of them to pack their bootleg product in what looks like a real box, though.

That's amazing.

As for the classic controller pro, I ordered one form amazon around x-mas. I think it's actually designed for larger handed people, as there are some solid grips on that thing. That aside, having actually usable LZ/RZ buttons is pretty cool, as is essentially having a playstation controller with a classic style d-pad.

• Locked thread