Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Constellation I posted:

Does that one support multiple shares? I just managed to play around with Wii homebrew yesterday, and so far everything except the SNES and Genesis emulators has been pretty drat terrible.

Take a look at the current crop of media players, for example. Geexbox has a lovely UI, but that's forgiveable. It allows for browsing of SMB and Windows shares, BUT it can't use the Wii's built-in Wi-Fi, making it almost useless. Then there's the various MPlayers, MPlayerCE has a shittier UI, but can use the Wii's built-in wi-fi. However, I think for now you're only limited to one share, and you have to edit it in a .conf file. Then there's the whole clusterfuck with vanilla MPlayer where you have to specify the specific path to your video in the config file.

I wish I could help, but I don't have the time nor coding experience. The Xbox has spoiled me when it comes to homebrew stuff.

The newest MPlayerCE is pretty drat nice. The UI is simple and clean, with a half-decent font. It also overlays the video, so you can access the menu and options at any point.

I haven't confirmed yet, but I suspect adding shortcuts or symlinks to a root SMB share would solve the limit on one share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
Have you played Twilight Princess on this Wii before? Seems to be a debated necessary step, but I know I had to do it. Can't recall the error, though.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

Errrgh, trying to set up Mplayer CE to connect to a SMB share on my network, and when I try to access it the thing just locks up - goes totally unresponsive, to the point I have to get up and power cycle the Wii. :(

My config:

#Samba share1 (smb1:/)
ip1=192.168.1.110
share1=video
user1=[my username]
pass1=[my pass]

That SMB share is sitting on an XP machine, and can be reached by both the Windows and Linux boxes in my house as \\192.168.1.110\video. The Wii is static IP'd and all is set up properly there, and it can get out to the internet... Using system software 3.3U, Mplayer CE 0.3a.

The only thing I can think of is that it's a hardware issue in the media server - the hard drive holding all my video has a weird delay - usually of 3-5 seconds followed by a healthy click - if it goes unaccessed for periods of time. I thought it was dying, but it's done this for well over a year. Weird hard drive. :confused: But I wonder if it's hitting the server, the drive's snoozing, and Mplayer is freaking out? The Windows and Linux boxes just wait, then show the folder contents.

I wish there was a telnet/ping tool for the Wii, maybe inside one of the Linux distros for it?

e. Well holy crap, now it works. I almost guarantee it was the hdd thing, because I copied some files off that drive to the SD to test SD playback [which is perfect]. The share loaded instantly this time.

MplayerCE will occasionally just take its sweet time in connecting to my shares. Sometimes it's nearly instant, others it takes a good 3 or 4 minutes. I believe I have the same version as you though, and there have been a couple of updates since then.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

So I've been trying out the online features of the latest Quake Wii build and from what I can tell it's connecting to the default server just fine but no-one's ever in there so I don't have a clue whether everything's working as it should. Anyone else have any luck playing online?

EDIT: didn't have the registered PAK on the card, figures. Online play works! I don't know if it's the fault of the port or my connection but it's a bit laggy, especially the Nunchuk controls.

Do you know if it's using NetQuake net code or QuakeWorld? Doesn't mention on that page, but the lag sounds exactly like NetQuake.

• Locked thread