Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Do I need to do anything special to go about updating to the latest version of the the shopping channel? I'm currently running on 3.3U, and today I upgraded to the latest version of the Homebrew Channel. I ran the Wii Shop and IOS51 installer (hadn't updated anything since probably around September before today), but when I went to the Shop Channel, it said I still needed the latest system update.

So at this point, do I just download and install the latest update? I thought the Wii Shop/IOS51 installer was supposed to have done that for me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

FlyingCheese posted:

Because this might be the update where they add forced updates from now on. It's too early to tell whether or not the new firmware is auto-updating or not. And while this update might not kill homebrew, a forced one down the line could. It's still up in the air until we get people debugging this thing and seeing what it does.

Good advice, thanks. As cool as Nintendo's newest update is, I'll just wait a bit to hear if there's more to it than what we already know.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I didn't really get the impression that they're about to release bootmii with that posting. To me it looked like he was just jeering Nintendo for not really doing anything to stop the VC/Wiiware piracy with the latest update.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 26, 2009

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The link that's in the last post of that thread seems to be for the source code of the mod, but not the compiled .dol itself. How do I get it to work on the SD card?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Xythar posted:

Oh. Click the word 'released' in the first post of that thread and it leads here:
http://wiinewz.com/forums/nintendo-news/94929-usb-loader-1-1s-mod-v1-01-by-sorg.html

The compiled app is attached to that topic.

Thanks, but the last post in the other thread has the source code for an updated version of this (mod v1.02 instead of 1.01) so I was just wondering if a compiled version of it was out somewhere.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

helium muppet posted:

Thanks. Also, is there an icon.png for USB Loader for use in the HBC somewhere?

I spent five hard-earned minutes making this. :shobon:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There's a little bit of an update about bootmii on hackmii.com. Sounds like marcan's too bummed out over the success of the USB Loader, but bootmii is still being worked on.

Possible public beta "within the next couple of weeks."

As tempted as I am to upgrade my Wii to 4.0, I'm hoping I can wait until Bootmii is installed, as theoretically, once it's on, there's nothing Nintendo can do permanently shut down HBC.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Just thought I'd let everyone know there's a new version of the homebrew browser, and it's fantastic. It runs a lot more smoothly, it's easier to browse through programs, and it even has some groovy Capcom-ish music that plays.

That's one thing I wish the HBC had... background music. The intro screen music is awesome, it's kind of a bummer that as you go through your apps, there is absolute silence.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Eegah posted:

drat, this is a lot nicer. I had a lot of trouble reading the descriptions in the older version.

For some reason it didn't recognize my old FCEU and now I have two copies, though. Odd.

That's happened to me with several programs, even back with the older version of the Homebrew Browser, not sure if it's because I hadn't downloaded the program using the browser. A minor inconvenience, I've just gone and deleted the older version.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I haven't updated my USB Loader since 1.1 came out about a month ago. It sounds like there's been a bunch of updates, both official and unofficial. Is there a particular version I should update to or focus on?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

litghost posted:

You can install the Homebrew Channel and DVDx via http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/ and http://bootmii.org/

Holy poo poo. Bootmii is finally out.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So has anyone here played around with Bootmii at all yet, or are we still waiting for a more stable release? I'm itching to update to 4.0 now that Majora's Mask is out for the Virtual Console, but I would also like to have Bootmii there as a safety net for any potential Nintendo shenanigans.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So I got around to installing the preloader using the guide at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835. I followed the guide and the preloader works just fine soooo... now what? At the end of the guide you're still on 3.2.

I want to get access back to the Wii shop channel so I can buy Majora's Mask, but I need to upgrade to 4.0. With the preloader installed, can I just upgrade to 4.0 through the "official" means or is there a set of instructions with more stuff I should do in order to get it upgraded?

Apologies in advance if this question was already addressed, there's been a lot of back-and-forth tech stuff the past few days so it's been a bit difficult trying to figure out what is relevant to one particular situation. Thanks everyone!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sizzlechest posted:

If you followed all the steps, you should have 4.0 installed. If you were doing the online version, go to step 4 and continue. Yes, you will need to reinstall the preloader when you are done.

:doh: I completely missed step 4. Ok, hopefully I can just redo steps 5 and 6 without any troubles.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz posted:

:doh: I completely missed step 4. Ok, hopefully I can just redo steps 5 and 6 without any troubles.

Ok, I went back and redid this, and now I'm on 4.0 and the Shop Channel works again. I re-installed the preloader and that appears to work fine, except the safety warning screen still displays when going to the System Menu. When I had the preloader installed on 3.2, it disabled the safety screen and went straight to the menu. Is there something I need to add to hack.ini to remove the screen again?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sizzlechest posted:

Yes. Did you have the correct hacks.txt in the root of your SD card? You need to enable that hack. Be careful! The hacks.txt for 4.0 is different for 3.2!

I might not have the right one, then. I just used the one included in the rar file from the tutorial. Any chance you can hook me up with the right one?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sizzlechest posted:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader/hacks

Also, the offline version of the guide gives you the right hacks.ini file.

That did the trick, and wow, there's quite a few more options than I had before. Sizzlechest, you've been super awesome with all your help in this thread.

Moving on to the next matter: transferring my HBC stuff from a standard SD card over to the SDHC card I can now use. Sounds like the latest version of HBC is buggy with the compatibility, so the best bet would be to leave it all on the regular SD card for now, right?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

What's the deal with the HBC's auto-updater, anyways? I just checked and I'm still on 1.01. I recall previously that even though an update was out, the auto-updater didn't kick in until some random time later.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Capnbigboobies posted:

To all the people having hard drive compatibility problems, use a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive and an el-cheepo usb enclosure. The enclosures are USB powered and often do not have a standby mode to crash your games. Also you don't need an extra power brick to plug in.

I am using a kingwin enclosure that was like 10 dollars from Fry's and I have never had a game crash on me.

I really don't see the point of using a full sized HD that is 200+ gb. There are not that many good wii games. I have probably the top ~15 games for the system and it takes up about 40gb.

This sounds like pretty good advice. Don't suppose you have a link to the enclosure you mention or recommendation about what hard drive to buy.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

FlyingCheese posted:

New version of BootMii is out! Still no Wiimote support but there's tons of bugfixes:

http://hackmii.com/2009/05/bootmii_beta_2/

New version of Homebrew Channel too, brings back support of SDHC cards.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Just installed bootmii (through boot2, not IOS). While the boot menu is pretty slick, I don't really need to access it unless I want to backup/restore the NAND. Is removing the SD card the only way to disable it at startup?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hamelin posted:

You can remove the bootmii folder from the SD card, bootmii won't run unless it is there (I think it looks for a specific file in there, I'm not sure what one), just save it somewhere on your computer so if you need to run bootmii later you can put it back on there.

Ah, that's a quick and dirty way to get it done. I know it's still in beta, but I hope they'll at some point add a menu option to do this, similar to pre-loader.

Thanks!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Milky_Sauce posted:

OK so the preloader I have (blandly titled PreLoader) is a pre loader just like BootMii? Meaning they are both the same thing, just made by different people? Would it be ridiculous to have both BootMii and Pre Loader installed at the same time?

They are not the same thing, and it is perfectly reasonable to have both installed and running on your Wii. The preloader allows you to do some different hacks to your Wii right at startup (for me, I'm just glad it can get rid of the startup warning screen). BootMii allows you to backup and restore your system, in the event you brick it.

They're similar, but they actually work well with each other.

Edit: I'm sure someone else here can give a much better, technical answer about the differences between PreLoader and BootMii. In my personal experience, I used BootMii to back up my system to an SD card in case my Wii ever gets bricked... and I used PreLoader to get rid of that annoying startup warning screen.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 4, 2009

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sizzlechest posted:

Seagate FreeAgent Go.

I've been thinking more and more about buying an external hard drive to hook up to my Wii, but I want to do my best to minimize my hassle of getting it to work. Is there a site that takes people by the hand and guides them through it step-by-step, including the best way(s) to rip games to it? Wiibrew refuses to cover any of it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hamelin posted:

How much have you done to your Wii so far?

HBC installed with bootmii (boot2) and Preloader, upgraded to 4.0. I actually downloaded and installed the USB Loader back when it was version 1.1 several months ago (didn't do anything with it except test a flash drive on it) but since then there've been a ton of different releases and variations of it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Evil Fiend posted:

Options you might want to consider is partitioning the drive before hand to reserve space for files on a FAT32 partition or setting up a forwarding channel so the USB Loader appears in the System Menu but both these are optional.

Thanks for the info. About how big a partition would you recommend. And I've never set up a forwarding channel before, how difficult is it to do?

Edit: Looks like USB Loader GX's site has instructions on forwarding, still a bit curious about partitioning. What purpose would having a second partition serve?

Ballz fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 1, 2009

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

How long has codemii.com been down? I went to see if there were any updates on the Homebrew Browser today and it wasn't able to connect to the server. Checked its web site and got a 403 error.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Two issues have me stumped:

1) I just bought The Beatles: Rock Band and it's wanting me to update. But the thing is, I'm already on 4.1 so I fear updating will bring it to the dreaded 4.2. Is anyone aware of a custom IOS update or something to get it working?

2) When I updated to 4.1U a couple of weeks ago, Preloader stopped working. I updated hacks.ini from wiibrew.org, but when I try to load them I get an error saying "no hacks from your systemmenu version (v449) were found" I'm not sure what this means, because at the very beginning of hacks.ini it says "version=449". Has this happened to anyone else?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A Violence Gang posted:

No idea about your second question, but the TB:RB disc came out before 4.2; it's not that update. It had zero adverse effects on my homebrew (which is only HBC, Preloader and RawkSD). So I make no guarantees about what it might do to you, but several people here have accepted it without consequence I believe.

I just want to make sure that whatever update it installs came straight from the disc and it doesn't connect online to download 4.2 as well.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A Violence Gang posted:

Good point then -- that I have no idea about. I installed the TB:RB update on release day before 4.2 existed.

You could disable your router or the connection settings on the Wii and do it just in case it does work that way.

I for the most part got it to work -- I loaded GeckoOS and it allowed me to install the Rock Band IOS by itself... but going back to the Wii system menu, it still has the game showing as an updater instead.

So for the moment the only way I can play the game is by loading it through GeckoOS. A little cumbersome, but better than nothing.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

SwissCM posted:

Have you installed preloader and disabled disc updates?

This goes back to my second issue:

Ballz posted:

2) When I updated to 4.1U a couple of weeks ago, Preloader stopped working. I updated hacks.ini from wiibrew.org, but when I try to load them I get an error saying "no hacks from your systemmenu version (v449) were found" I'm not sure what this means, because at the very beginning of hacks.ini it says "version=449". Has this happened to anyone else?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sizzlechest posted:

Hacks for one version of the firmware will not work with another. You need to get the correct hacks.ini entries for your firmware.

But I'm using the 4.1U found on Wiibrew.org, because my system is currently on 4.1U. Are you saying there are variations to hacks.ini for 4.1U?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sizzlechest posted:

Are you using a SDHC card?

Yes, I am. I did recently go from a regular SD card to SDHC (like in the last six months), but I only encountered this problem with Preloader when I upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 a month or so ago. Does Preloader only recognize hacks.ini if it's on a regular SD card?

Edit: Apparently yes, that was exactly the issue. :c00l: Health menu and disc updates disabled, resolving both of my issues. Thanks as always for your help, sizzlechest.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 11, 2009

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I was about to update to 4.2 using Waninkoko's installer, but at the very beginning it asks what IOS to update. Do I just go with the default?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Has anyone ever gotten an FDS game to work in the FCEU GX emulator? I tried three different games and they all came back as "invalid file format." I do have disksys.rom in the /fceugx folder.

Edit: Looks like I fixed it. I was using a hacked version of disksys.rom and I guess the emulator didn't like it.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 18, 2010

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sizzlechest posted:

Crap. Those are like $40.

Unless they jacked up the price, I found a used one at Gamestop for about $20. You might have to look around at several different stores before finding one, though.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Finally got around to installing a hard drive to go along with my Wii. I followed the directions in the OP (used rev 17 instead of 19) and so far it's looking pretty slick.

First game I installed was Beatles Rock Band and while the game plays, it does not recognize the DLC songs that are on my SD card. Any reason for this and anything I need to do to fix it?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

For everyone who's a retard like me, download Pimp My Wii. It is a program that automatically connects to the net, checks what poo poo you have on your Wii, then automatically downloads/installs the newest poo poo.

I had a Wii that was half-baked with updates because I couldn't keep up with all this poo poo, and about 10 minutes got my system up to some kind of working because everything I throw at it just works.

I've been looking for a program just like this, thank you. I get my IOS's confused and pretty much had no idea what I had and what I didn't (turns out: I didn't have all that much).

Next thing I think for me to do is to look into a forwarder to more directly access the stuff on my new hard drive. I've seen some talk about them over the last page and a half... is there any specific one that stands out above the rest?

Edit: Tried Narolez's R3 forwarder that someone recommended on the last page, but I'm clueless about how to use it, and the readme file's instructions are vague, to say the least. Couldn't find any online tutorials either.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 4, 2010

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

fishmech posted:

Is there any way to speed up ripping my store-bought retail games to hard disk on the Wii? Every single-layer game takes like 40-60 minutes and every dual-layer game takes about an hour and a half to 2 hours.

Out of curiosity, how common are dual layer Wii games? I ripped my entire game collection over the past week, and I don't think I had a game that topped 5 gigs in size. Some games like Super Mario Bros. Wii were laughably tiny.

For whatever it's worth, the largest game I had only took me about 15-20 minutes to copy over and I copied everything using the Wii directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sizzlechest posted:

Don't rip with the loader. Use SuperDump: http://gbatemp.net/t163598-superdump

Hmmm...

Any reason why it won't read my hard drive? Just keeps saying no USB drive is present. The first post in that thread you linked to mentions starting the program without anything connected to the USB port, but that doesn't work either.

Also, I noticed the program says it can rip Game Cube games. At the risk of sounding like a total tard, does this mean it's possible to play GC backups as well as Wii backups?

• Locked thread