Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Stokesy posted:

You need a couple of things.

cIOS Installer rev9
USB Loader v1.1
IOS36-64-v1042.wad
(google these)

load the cios installer and the usbloader into the /apps/ folder like you would any other homebrew app, and put the IOS36-64-v1042.wad in the root of your SD card.

Boot HBC and run cIOS Installer to install the custom IOS. Reboot your Wii.
Plug in a USB drive, and load the USB Loader from the HBC.
It will ask to format the USB drive. You will lose all data on the drive.
Now just pop in a game disc and press '+' to copy it to your USB drive.

That should be it.

Luisfe posted:

You neet to have installed IOS249 before, I think.
This tutorial thing might help
http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials/7199-3-1-3-4-twilight-downgrade-starfall-gammatutorial.html

I'm confused. I'm using 3.3U, have a WAD installer channel, and would like to get this USB loader thing up and running. Do I need to do everything in that gamma tutorial before I do the things in stokesy's post? Or do I just need to install IOS249? The link mentions IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad, is that the same as IOS249?

Also, it probably doesn't matter, but I'm reinstalling the homebrew channel and it says "I'm running under IOS34 4.15 I'll configure the homebrew channel to use IOS36"

I just don't want to brick my Wii.

dirby fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
It took me a while to remember I needed to change the names of the dols to boot.dol, but after that it was smooth sailing with the network install working on the first try without IOS16.

Thanks, everyone.

Now to see if I can make some use out of that 8 gig thumb drive I bought.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

TheRedEye posted:

Yup. Now that this works, and we're likely to get Gamecube support added to USB Loader anyway, I wonder if people are making custom Gamecube game "channels" for the Wii?

Speaking about the gamecube, neither of the gamecube save backup programs on the homebrew browser work for me. Is there some trick or other program that will backup my game saves?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Suitcase posted:

I was in the same position as you, and from I understand you can't use an official gamecube memory card. After trying two or three programs over and over, I gave up and then noticed it said you must use a third-party memory card. I don't have one, but if someone does and is willing to test one of the programs out and let us know if they were successful with it.

I can't get saves off of an official Nintendo card? That's annoying and weird.

Luisfe posted:

If it is F-Zero GX, you are out of luck, EVERYTHING else I've tried with the gamecube save backup thing has worked fine just following the program's instructions.
Luckily for me, I was horrible at GX and so don't have much of a save for it at all.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Bakkon posted:

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/MultiGame_ISO_Creator

I fit both Pikmins and both Monkey Balls on one Wii disc. Then threw that ISO onto my thumbdrive formatted for the USB Loader. It boots up a little menu of the Gamecube games on it, then you pick one.

Atleast, this is how I'm doing it until they add GC support for the USB Loader, if it's possible.

Luisfe posted:

So, using that it is possible to boot up GCN games with the USB Loader?

TheRedEye posted:

Yup.

blahz posted:

How are you adding the Wii iso to the wbfs partition? The wbfs tool only wants to add actual Wii game iso files.

blahz posted:

I gave the GUI a try, and even still I'm not able to get Gamecube games made with the Multigame ISO creator. It still does the same thing where wbfs just refuses to run and transfer the file, because it is not an actual Wii game.

Are you doing anything to the iso file after you make them?

I'm also really interested in the answer to this question.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Xythar posted:

Yeah, but then why do you need to supply it on the SD card when they can just download it?

Ryouga Inverse posted:

they can't distribute it (because it's copyrighted)

I think that's the answer to your question.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ALL YOUR BASE posted:

So I have a Wii now with firmware 4.0. Now I want to import Capcom vs Tatsunoko. What are my non :filez: options at this point? I dont have any "homebrew" or anything installed on my wii and I dont fancy the idea of having my wii mod-chipped either.

I'm pretty sure you can't really do anything if you don't want a mod-chip, and haven't done any homebrew stuff before upgrading to 4.0, :filez: or otherwise.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Magic Mango posted:

Any of these should do it.

I got all of these from the homebrew browser, and bought a third-party memory card like someone in this thread said was necessary, and it's still not working. Does anyone know if there's a trick to using one of these?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

evilernLe posted:

Nugasa ended up working for me.

I happened to have a third party memory card handy, and it copied over with no issue. Not really sure what's wrong. It was pretty straightforward to me.

When you hit 1 for "SD CARD BACKUP mode", do you get anything to display? How long should I be waiting for something to happen (if I have a lot of stuff on my memory card)?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Liku posted:

I'm using a 500GB WD MyBook external and everything is working fine on my end. Strangely enough, my friend can't get MadWorld running properly on his Wii and he's just using a 1TB WD MyBook; the screen rolls down from the screen over and over making it unplayable. It's the only game with this problem.

Try re-ripping it?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

helopticor posted:

I got all of these from the homebrew browser, and bought a third-party memory card like someone in this thread said was necessary, and it's still not working. Does anyone know if there's a trick to using one of these?

I finally figured it out, by doing some searching on the internet. It turns out the mere act of having my USB stick in the Wii confused Nugasa. With nothing in the USB ports, it works fine.

Edit:

Phenotype posted:

Also, the WAD creator? Do I need it to get my discs in a format the Loader will recognize, or can I just rip them as isos?

When you run the loader successfully, it will let you rip the discs while they're in the Wii itself.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Captain Sharpie posted:

Waninkoko's DVD dumper refuses to recognise my external HD (I've made a FAT32 partition) and I can't get the wifi connection going either.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that to do anything with a Wii and a hard drive, the hard drive had to have a WBFS partition.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Xythar posted:

Oh, I always figured it stood for Wii Brew File System

Me too...

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

evilernLe posted:

It was pretty instant for me. Maybe around 5 seconds or so?

As I posted earlier, Nugasa has this dumb property of not doing anything if there's something in a USB slot. It worked instantly for me when I figured that out.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Captain Sharpie posted:

I've seen someone claim they got it working was here, and I think it was only one guy. Troll?

I think first, Bakkon mentioned it, and then TheRedEye supported them.

There's no way TheRedEye is a troll, but maybe they were just taking bakkon's word for it?

Also, as far I can tell (someone correct me if I'm wrong), Bakkon is the only one making specific claims about it being possible.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

OmegaMan86 posted:

I have been using this program "EASEUS Partition Manager" to allocate and format the partitions. I then have been using the WBFS Manager 3.0 since that is supposed to format the drive and after a very quick format the program shows that it works by letting me move files into the HDD. Are you guys using a better program than this?

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, but I formatted my drive by connecting it to my Wii and running the backup loader. I ripped games with my Wii, and then used the standard windows command-line program to juggle files. There are a bunch of fancy GUI front-ends for it, but I don't mind the command line.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Xythar posted:

I thought there was some way to store a bunch of Gamecube games as a single Wii image using some kind of wrapper?

That was a false rumor started accidentally by Bakkon. It got cleared up in this post.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Joiny posted:

If this is true then I will definitely be turning my wiimote speaker off. It cuts out all the time on all 3 wiimotes :(

I don't know what games Dominic White is talking about (I actually didn't know that games had access to the volume level of the speaker), but I'm pretty sure that a number of games I have (at least Zelda, No More Heroes, and Zack and Wiki) don't force the speaker audio to play through the game itself; you just lose the audio.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I think I installed bootmii to boot2 successfully when I updated my homebrew channel. I haven't been following this thread for a while, and it didn't look like the first page or previous couple pages mentioned this problem.

Basically, when my wii boots up, it does some stuff that makes it clear bootmii exists, but then goes straight to the normal health and safety screen. I'd like to make a backup so that way I don't risk bricking my wii with preloader or whatever, but since I can't get into the bootmii menu, I can't do that. The bootmii site doesn't seem to explain this, but maybe there's an obvious point I'm missing.

Edit: Looking at it again, "Try booting with no SD card inserted. If you see a brief set of flashes from the blue slot LED right after you hit the power button, try a different SD card. Make sure you have a directory named "bootmii" with the "armboot.bin" and "ppcboot.elf" files inside." on the bootmii site seems to suggest that I need to try a different SD card?

Final Edit:Yeah, that seems to have done the trick.

dirby fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 4, 2009

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I just picked up No More Heroes 2 and it seems to want to do a system update. Since I've already used the 4.2 safe updater, I can't imagine what system update it wants to do.

Also, can preloader be used to skip the update if it's unnecessary? I found a reference somewhere to a "skip update" function, but can't find it in the preloader menu.

dirby fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 26, 2010

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Copy the system menu hacks for your region 4.2 and save it as "hacks.ini" on the root of your SD card. Reboot, go into the Preloader settings and enable the hack for "Block Disc Updates" and probably "Block Online Updates" as well.

This seems to have worked perfectly; thanks!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Kerm posted:

yep that's the one. I guess it makes sense why it's not working now. Thanks for the help, looks like I need to try to return these and get some new ones.

:eng101: "shiro" (written on that box) is Japanese for white. It was pretty smart of them to pack their bootleg product in what looks like a real box, though.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Evil Vin posted:

Is there currently anyway to take saves from a Gamecube memory card to a SD Card and back? NuGaSa, Gamecube Saver, and GCMM don't seem to do it for me.

I remember having a lot of trouble with this. IIRC in the end I just needed to try a different SD card.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Demicol posted:

I installed homebrew by using a SD card. Maybe try one of those if you have one.

I think you misread davey4283. davey4283, I had no trouble using an 8gig stick. Maybe let it be formatted by some USBloader (make sure to put it in the correct USB port in the Wii).

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

davey4283 posted:

I'm using WBFS Manager 3.0 to format my sandisk cruzer 8gb thumbdrive so I can eventually move iso's over to it using the same program. I hope that clears up any confusion.

I think I successfully formatted my stick that way, but I don't recall. I've found it more convenient just to rip isos from discs in the Wii in USB Loader GX (or whatever it is I use), and I think that program can format your stick too, so try it (both USB ports) before you return your stick.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Sizzlechest posted:

New Super Mario World
Don't do that; my heart can't take it.

Sizzlechest posted:

USB Loaders all seem to work.
That's good news.

dirby fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 21, 2010

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

electricsugar posted:

I use Wiiflow because I have yet to find a game it will not run, while GX would simply not launch a number of my games.

Can you name some of these games? I'm sure there are a lot of games it doesn't run, but turning "error 002 fix" on made every game I own run. In other words, I don't doubt you, but I use GX for the same reason.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Toad King posted:

But some Good News: There's a serious breakthrough in a GameCube USB Loader.

:aaaaa: This was supposed to never be able to happen because gamecube mode has access to nothing from Wii mode, right? Is there a description of how this was managed somewhere?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Sizzlechest posted:

It looks like someone figured a way to downgrade 4.3!

http://gbatemp.net/t237997-downgrading-ios-15-on-4-3-virgin-wii

That's kinda cool. That post was deleted, but here is a summary post and if you scroll down, there's a link to a copy of the original that has been translated to not-terrible English:

the translation posted:

Get the latest version of WiiPower's Trucha Bug Restorer (http://www.mediafire.com/?qzmqirhnuyz)
2. Using NUSD, checking the Pack Wad option in the app download the oldest revision of IOS 41, namely IOS 41 v2835
3. Install the IOS 41 wad you grabbed with regular Wad Manager, It doesn't much metter which IOS you use during the operation since it's a legitimate IOS signed by Nintendo... Also you can use any wad manager tool out there..
4. Launch Trucha Bug Restorer, select the IOS to be used as 41 and choose Downgrade IOS 15... Continue normally as you would do it on 4.2...
5. After you've downgraded IOS 15, launch Trucha Bug Restorer again this time to patch IOS 36... Select IOS to be used as IOS 15 and resume normal operation of this tool... Beware, you might need to repeat this step from the start since TBR just codedumps randomly when reloading IOS into 15.. This will not do any harm to your wii...
6. If you've successfully patched IOS 36, now get rid of IOS 41 if you want it so...
7. Have fun with the trucha patched IOS 36

ps1: You need either SmashStack or Indiana Pwns exploit to run Wad Manager and TBR... If you don't know what I'm talking about then just go for a more noob friendly thread instead of this. :P

dirby fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 30, 2010

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Rabid Koala posted:

Luckily, I had the foresight to install Priiloader, which disabled the update and allowed him to play the game without removing the Homebrew Channel. The moral of the story is that Priiloader is a drat good thing.

I'm confused; does priiloader have a setting like that? I'm pretty sure I just don't see "system update?" questions in the first place with whatever setting I have. But it's totally possible I'm just confused because I fake-update my Wii when necessary.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Is the HBC the only bit of homebrew that supports 4.3? I ask because Metroid: Other M is gonna drop soon and I worry that it'll force an update.

With things like priiloader, nothing can really force an update unless you let it.

If Metroid: Other M legitimately needs some new features, there'll probably be a safe-updater of some kind.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Gyoru posted:

New softmod exploit released: LetterBomb
http://hackmii.com/2011/08/letterbomb/

So now no one needs a special game to hack their Wii at all?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

DigitalMocking posted:

My last question is: Is there any way to play Gamecube game iso/gcb files from the FAT32 drive I have attached?
No way of playing Gamecube isos on a Wii has been released. Also, the Gamecube part of the Wii is pretty separated from the rest, so I wouldn't hope for one down the line.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Calaveron posted:

Also, if I softmod my Wii using the Letterbomb method, and in case Skyward Sword needs an update and modders can't figure out how to bypass said update, can I unmod my Wii so I can play the game normally?
Well, you won't be able to play Xenoblade if you updated your Wii. I guess if you finished Xenoblade completely then updated to play Skyward Sword you could do that, but what you probably should do is just wait the day or whatever until the modders have extracted the necessary part of the update and keep it modded.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

FlyingCheese posted:

Do you have a NAND backup from bootmii?

This, and also Priiloader has a separate "skip health and safety" option IIRC.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Chinook posted:

Cool. But when I run ModMii now, it's saying:

I think it's because I told ModMii that I'm system version 4.3, which is true (but I already have HBC and BootMii installed). Do I really need to get one of these games since I already used letterbomb?

Thanks!

edit: Do I need to downgrade to 4.2 somehow, then re-run ModMii? In any case, I'm waiting at this screen until I figure out how to proceed. :)

No, ModMii doesn't know about letterbomb, so just pick a game at random, and ignore/skip the initial steps.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

DigitalMocking posted:

I'm fairly sure most of the WD MyBook drives are compatible, but you should check the list on GBAtemp first.

I use a WD Passport drive because it doesn't require external power. There are enough wires around my Wii.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Cosmo Clock 21 posted:

I finally got around to putting Dolphin on my computer, and now I want to get my saves off my GCN memory cards and onto a computer. Is GCMM still the go-to program to do that? Has anybody managed to figure out what to do about protected saves?

I would also like to know if anyone has current answers to these questions.

Twitch posted:

I have no end to the great things I can say about Wii homebrew stuff, but I only need to say one thing: holy poo poo, Kirby Tilt'n'Tumble emulation.
Link? Also do they have Wario Ware Twisted tilt emulation yet? I know the GBA emulator isn't that good so probably not.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Keito posted:

Hasn't Visual Boy Advanced GX supported all the tilt games for several years?

I don't know, I didn't start using it until recently, so I guess I missed the "supports the tilt games" news several years ago. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Tiger.Bomb posted:

OK so I'm SOL for using the wiimote to power up the wii, then?
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, just choose not to run bootmii on startup. I don't know what your setup is like, so I don't know what program/config file you'd have to mess with to make that happen.

• Locked thread