Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Lowclock posted:

So yea, the USB loader is awesome. I compared loading times against real disks and it's loads anywhere from 50 to 100 percent faster depending on what it is, and I don't have to listen to the optical drive clunking away all the time. Cool stuff.

Just a note for anyone else who tries it, if you have problems running a game, make sure you have a disk in the drive. Doesn't matter what it is, I have WiiFit in the drive to make Prime3 work.

I assume it supports NTSC as images are DVD sized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Liku posted:

With the USB loader, I'll have to format the drive I'm using? Because I want to use my 500GB External HD, but I also use it for computer back-up and I really don't want to format it.

Yes, create a 2nd partition for Wii related excitement. Games can apparently get compressed a lot so depending how many games you have 30-40GB may be plenty.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
USB Loader is magical. I picked up a WD My Passport 320GB drive, made a 150GB partition for my Wii and have been throwing all my games on it. Even ignoring the lack of wear and tear on my Wii DVD (CoD sounded like it wanted to kill it) it's amazingly convenient to just carry my hard drive with my Wii when I go to a friends house. Some people are also working on making channels of games that you install to it so you can load certain games straight from your main menu.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

MZ posted:

Which partition should be which? Can I set up the formatting on my macbook? Does the USB loader pick up the first partition available?

I created 2 partitions because I plan to use the drive for other things. You can just use one if you like. Personally I'm using the 2nd partition on the drive, but I don't think it matters. You plug the hard drive in to the Wii, chose the partition and then it formats it using the USB Loader file system. Next you put your game in, tell it to copy it across and it does it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I have 21 games and I'm using up 46GB.

code:
RONEG9                              Onechanbara 0.95G
RM9EGM                             Mushroom Men 1.79G
RBKE69                                Boom Blox 1.31G
RZZE8P                                Mad World 3.39G
RDCE78                         Deadly Creatures 3.94G
RTNE41                                   Tenchu 3.76G
RY3E41                          Rayman TV Party 3.65G
RK2EEB                Trauma Center : New Blood 3.44G
RINE08                              Dead Rising 3.14G
RHOE8P                            HotD Overkill 3.83G
RSPE01                               Wii Sports 0.31G
RGSE8P                              Ghost Squad 0.63G
RZPE01                  Links Crossbow Training 0.20G
RWCE4Z                                  Pinball 0.69G
RMLEH4                     Metal Slug Anthology 1.54G
RXDE4Q                              Disney Quiz 3.43G
RWSE8P                 Mario + Sonic : Olympics 2.10G
RM8E01                            Mario Party 8 1.36G
RMCP01                           Mario Kart Wii 2.59G
RBUE08                             Resi Evil UC 3.89G
R64E01                                Wii Music 0.14G
I renamed them using an ISO renamer otherwise Wii Sports is called 'SPORTS PACK for REVOLUTION'

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
1.26GB according to http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/USB_Launcher_v1 which also shows compatability. I found it because HotD2 doesn't seem to want to work.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/WiiScrubber_Partition_Sizes_List has sizes after images are scrubbed. Wii Chess is 26MB but is beaten by Super Fruit Fall which is 25MB.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Emalde posted:

:laugh: And here I thought I was the only one who could appreciate the... foreign side of zombie killers.

It has possibly got the worst waggle controls ever. So much waggling. I am a sucker for games with zombies in however so... yeah.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
For me the only game that doesn't work is House of the Dead 2 t although House of the Dead 3 does.

Check your own games at http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/USB_Launcher_v1

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Any good reason to keep it as a Japanese Wii? I changed the region of mine from 3.2J to 3.2U. I lost the games that I had bought from the Japanese store but ended up with a US Wii that played all the games I put in it without problems.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

MeClootchIsAwee posted:

See, that's another good idea. I have a 6 games for this Japanese Wii, including Wii Fit. However, if I change the region, there's always the possibility to change it back to its original region, right?

Did you use AnyRegion Changer?

Yes to both. You can change it back and I used AnyRegionChanger.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
You mean install BootMii and worry no more. I don't quite know how but I managed to brick my Wii last night. Loaded up BootMii and told it to restore my NAND and it told me it couldn't find it. Turns out that after installing BootMii you have to go and tell it to dump the NAND from the menu. Because I had BootMii installed I could run AnyRegionChanger to drop back to 3.2 and that fixed my brick.

Moral of the story. Install BootMii and remember to actually dump the NAND.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Svampson posted:

No because I'm retarded, I just followed the steps on the Bannerbomb site and then it gave me the option to install bootmii and I installed it for the hell of it but didn't know about the whole NAND backup thing before it was too late :downs:

edit: I found out that I can play my Wii games by using GeckoOS, I tried it with Wii Sports and my Wiimotes started working. So my Wiimotes work while playing retail games, but not homebrew.

Try running AnyRegionChanger and downgrade to 3.2. I bricked my Wii without making the NAND backup and that fixed it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Yes. IOS60 gets updated so needs repatching by preloader.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Skyelan posted:

Well, this time I think I may have hosed up for good.

I was fiddling around with installing new homebrew apps that looked interesting, and my Wii now won't load up the system menu. Trying to leave from the homebrew channel and it'll freeze and not load up the menu. If I restart, it'll freeze up at the health and safety screen. Well, no problem right? I installed preloader, this kind of mess is what it's for right?

Preloader isn't loading up. I had it set so it would only load up when I hold down the reset button and...It won't come up. It just goes straight to the health and safety screen. I've used it plenty, even recently, I don't understand why it isn't coming up.

Is there any way to get it working again? Even if I could send it to Nintendo without worrying about its modded state, I really don't have the free cash at the moment to pay for it, and it's long over warranty. Please tell me I have a way out. :(

You have BootMii installed.. right?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Phenotype posted:

What's wrong with the Passport? I'm using one for Wiibrew right now, and it runs perfectly.

I also have no problems with my Passport. I've never had any problems with it going to sleep although I've never tried to make it do so.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
cIOS v16 got released at Christmas. The change log says...

[ CIOS38 rev 16 ]:
- Error 001 bug fixed.
- NSMB proper fix added.

I guess that might fix the problem if you update to that?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Also Configurable USB Loader owns owns owns and I'm not sure why people recommend GX? It even supports NTFS hard drives (although you can't rip your disks straight to NTFS hopefully they add this somehow later on because repartitioning disks with useful data on them scares the poo poo out of me).

GX came out first and many people are too lazy/comfortable to change. Well... I am anyway.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

maverick99 posted:

Do I have to have a copy of Twilight Princess to softmod my Wii, or just the sd card?

SD card. The Twilight Princess method is an old method that's no longer needed.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Yes.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Ryouga Inverse posted:

Twiizers won't release an exploit that enables piracy if they can help it.

In their most recent blog post they seemed to say they care a lot less than they used to about that.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

FlyingCheese posted:

Can anyone download some files for me using NUS Auto Downloader and zip them up on the internet somewhere? I cannot get the program to download anything without crashing. Here is my download cue:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6161451/Download_Cue.bat

I will give you an e-cookie if you help me out. :)

That link doesn't work.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I used WiiMC for the first time last night. It's the first time I've ever used my console for playing media and I'm in love. So easy. So much nicer than watching on my PC. I can't believe I've waited so long to try it out. I used an SD card as my USB hard drive needs to be sent off to get fixed but it worked flawlessly. I highly recommend it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I love the design for WiiMC. The one problem I have with it is that subtitles can't be moved. I grabbed a copy of Mplayer CE and while the UI is nothing like as good it has the ability to reposition subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Does formatting my Wii unlink the Wii shop account? I'm asking because it's a Japanese Wii that I used AnyRegionChanger to switch it to a US one on 4-5 years ago without unlinking it. I'm now trying to get Netflix running and I can't load up the shop because of an error message. I've downgraded it back to 4.1J and if I try to load up the shop it tells me to upgrade to 4.3 which I'd rather not do (seems more effort to switch it back to 4.2U than if it stays at 4.1J). Or should I just upgrade it so I can access the shop and unlink the account there because 4.3 is hacked anyway and I can use it to downgrade back to 4.2U?

edit : Finally got it working as I found the unlink account where I had to type in my serial number and all is good.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 3, 2013

• Locked thread