Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
So yea, the USB loader is awesome. I compared loading times against real disks and it's loads anywhere from 50 to 100 percent faster depending on what it is, and I don't have to listen to the optical drive clunking away all the time. Cool stuff.

Just a note for anyone else who tries it, if you have problems running a game, make sure you have a disk in the drive. Doesn't matter what it is, I have WiiFit in the drive to make Prime3 work.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

MZ posted:

Is this an april fools?

Sounds too good to be true..
how do I get this loader?
will it work with any usb drive device?
can I convert my own Wii disks to run on this for improved speed?

With all this in mind is it only a matter of time before Nintendo releases its own hard-disk addon allowing you to install games Xbox360 style?

Haha No it's legit.

Google for it. It's just called USB loader.

Pretty much.

Yes.

VVVVV It's region free, and there are already PAL and NTSC patched versions out there too, so yes.

VVVV e. your e. Do not try to remove IOSs ever at all for any reason. Overwrite them. If that doesn't make sense then no, no you can't.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 1, 2009

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Bakkon posted:

Has anyone tried this USB Loader with an external harddrive that relies on USB for power, such as a WD MyPassport?

I've tried my 160gb and 320gb ones and they both work great. You don't even need those stupid split power USB cables or anything.

And yes, Brawl works.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Liku posted:

How do I go about Partitioning the Harddrive and getting the Wii to only format that certain partition?

USB Loader gives you a list of partitions on the drive and asks which one you want to format and use. You can also do this from a computer with the WBFS tools.

VVV That doesn't matter. It works whether it is or not for me.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 2, 2009

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

MZ posted:

Which partition should be which? Can I set up the formatting on my macbook? Does the USB loader pick up the first partition available?

12 posts up.

USB Loader gives you a list of the partitions on the drive and asks which one you want to format and use. You can also do this from a computer with the WBFS tools.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Why are you guys telling him to download and burn Ubuntu CDs when he could just go Run > Compmgmt.msc > Disk Management?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Hamelin posted:

... things like starfall, so if you really need those, don't do it....
Starfall is unnecessary, and AFAIK, the only thing that required 3.2. Instead, you can download Preloader .29 and use the info from this page to add all the functions that Starfall had while having all the 4.0 system menu stuff.

DO NOT UPGRADE TO 4.0 WITH ANYTHING EXCEPT THIS OR YOU WILL BREAK poo poo!

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 7, 2009

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

TheRedEye posted:

I installed the homebrew channel and USB loader from 3.3 and upgraded to 4.0 through normal means, and nothing broke.

Are you sure you can still install wads? You also won't be able to reinstall the homebrew channel or DVDX.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Captain Matchbox posted:

So how do I go about updating the Wii and the HBC to the latest and safest versions?

Reading this page would be a good start. HBC updates itself.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Ryouga Inverse posted:

Yes, but you need to boot it from an SD card, so if you format your SD card to wbfs how do you boot USB Loader?
You could use a USBloader channel, or you could install it into Preloader. Neither of these would need an SD card to start it.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Joiny posted:

Did you make sure to put the original IOS36-64-v1042.wad in the root of the sd card?

Do you really ever have to do this? All of waninkoko's IOS and CIOS installers/up/downgraders whatever come with the option to select network install and just download whatever it needs.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Liku posted:

Actually you do, the cIOS installer doesn't load if the .wad isn't in the root of the SD card, somewhat negating the need for the network install option, but I assume it's up to date so I used that.

Heh, just tried this. I guess you are right. This one doesn't boot without that wad. I just don't remember doing it.

I was probably also confused at the time because wan's old cios installers didn't have this problem.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Godinster posted:

Guess the compatibility really is quite lovely for USB Loader...

Try using a different CIOS or different loader. I haven't had a single issue at all on any game using rev9 and USB Loader GX.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Godinster posted:

The games work fine, my HDD works fine. I just had bad luck with my past HDD and Flash Drive. I tried every CIOS from 8 to the unreleased 11 and none worked on neither my ComStar HDD nor my LGear Flash drive, even after forcing them to WBFS format in the command line. The new HP one is great though.

Ah my mistake. I accidentally read that as you were having a bunch of compatibility problems with it now that you've got it working.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
To everyone who's got HBC, but is stuck in IOS up/down grade hell, this will help a lot.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Desrever posted:

Does this download the information off the web? My Wii can't get online here. I can take it to a friend's house to accomplish this. But before I go through the trouble, has anyone else tried this? I've always got bootmii as a backup, so I'm not terribly concerned. Just wondering if anyone else has had luck with this.

It worked great for me. After using the safe updater from 4.0 to 4.2 I had problems like HBC being upside down, not being able to install new IOS or WADs, out of date shop channel, some unbugged IOS's, and etc. This includes all the necessary WADs (I think? I used the internet), explains what it's doing and asks first and all that jazz.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
If I were to convert my WBFS external drive to NTFS, could all the ISOs still be stored in their stripped down (no empty space) form to be the same size as they were on WBFS, or would they have to be full sized 4gb+ ISOs? It would be nice to use as temporary storage for Windows stuff sometimes.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Is there any reason why the homebrew channel would make my hard drive stop responding or maybe go to sleep when it starts? I have to turn on the wii, start HBC, then unplug and replug my hard drive in order to start any USB loader, or else it will never finish loading past the console part. I think I remember hearing that some newer revision of a cIOS could cause this, but I don't remember which and I can't seem to find anything about it. I've never had an issue with the hard drive ever going to sleep after I've started a loader or game, and I do have it plugged into the correct port.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

rt4 posted:

Lots of hard drives have built-in power saving features to spin them down when they think they're not being used.

I know, but I never used to have this problem. I think it was because I updated something I didn't need to like I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

OK, so let's say you're not running Windows.

Sorry, there will not be an amiga version any time soon.

• Locked thread