Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Straker
Nov 10, 2005

OHGODBEES posted:

Im installing homebrew on my friends wii, and we keep getting error message

err = c1000003, reply = followed by a bunch of numbers

we tried this a few times with each save in the twilight hack (save 2 just freezes the game) and it keeps doing it, also the wii is deleting the twilight princess save hack whenever we reboot the system. I tried downloading the homebrew channel again but still the same error.
It's deleting the save because you're running 3.4, it does that, try not to reboot your Wii after using the hack until everything's all set up.
What's the problem exactly (i.e. where is it breaking, you mention using different saves but also redownloading the homebrew channel)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I know you said you thought you were using it, but try installing cIOS36 rev10 anyway, just in case you aren't; that was my problem. I don't think anyone in this thread has explicitly said rev9 is good enough, but there are plenty of posts elsewhere saying it's fine, though apparently the later versions of the USB loader require r10. reformatted my drive (750GB MyBook - I'd read that the loader doesn't like when it sees an NTFS partition first, among other things) a couple times before I actually tried updating that, and it worked perfectly fine after :(

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Sizzlechest posted:

There a number of people who claim they get freeze ups with the 1.5 USB Loader and CIOS36 rev 10. The only "advantage" to rev 10 is the SDHC support and the ability to run games from the SD card. If you don't need this, stick with rev 9 and use a loader that's based off of the 1.1 loader.
oh definitely, I didn't try updating it until I'd tried everything else I could think of (plugging the drive in at different times, switching ports, reformatting with different partition sizes/layouts, a couple different loaders, etc.), because I couldn't think of any legitimate reason I needed to update. why exactly do newer versions of the USB loader need rev10 anyway, assuming (of course) you're not using an SDHC card or anything?

that said, the post-1.1 loaders themselves are cooler than anything CIOS36 rev10 alone gets you, would kind of suck being stuck with one of the original loaders. haven't heard of any freezes, unless it's more of the same drive-powering-down stuff.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Xiu Xiu posted:

so i borrowed my friends WD passport and i still get the same error. god must hate me.
what error? i just checked your posts in this thread and i don't think you specified.

have you tried both an old USB loader with cios36 rev9 and a new (i.e. 1.5-based) loader with rev10?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Robolizard! posted:

You could just spend 10 more dollars for 750GB if you don't care about it matching your wii
shop around and you can find one of those for $50-60 too, like I did. I'm using one of those, works great. if you're not using a fatass CRT TV then who cares if it's not a 2.5" drive, it looks good when it's tucked out of sight behind the screen :)

Cardboard Box A posted:

I would never recommend a full size external drive simply for portability's sake, having to plug something else in, and the hassle of turning it off and on every time.
2.5" externals are cool and all but who cares, there's no legitimate reason to move the drive around unless your previous drive crashed and you had all your Wii games backed up on a drive on your PC and wanted to restore them or something. also there's no need to turn it on and off, you can just leave it "on" (i.e. plugged in) all the time - if you're referring to being spun up/down then drives like the WD MyBook will spin down when there's no USB communication in x amount of time regardless of whether it has external power. but 3.5" drives only use like 6-7W when spun up, so again who cares

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Do you never take your Wii anywhere?
sometimes, but I don't use it while running, so a 3.5" drive still works great. how did you manage to survive for the last >2 years without any USB loaders at all? :raise:

besides if you really really wanted to be lazy like that and really use your Wii in that many other places it'd probably make a lot more sense to just get a 32GB flash drive or something (in addition to a regular external), you could fit SSBB and every single gimmicky party game/microgame collection on there

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Vulcan posted:

Is it better to get a modchip than use the HBC? Aka are there any advantages the HBC has over chips? (I'm good with soldering, dont mind spending the money and have chipped my other consoles before)

Or, can they both run side by side without interfering with one another?
think you may be misphrasing something here; even if you had a hardware modded Wii you'd probably still want to use the HBC.

that said, as far as I can tell there is absolutely no reason to go for a hardware mod rather than TP/bannerbomb, unless you merely want to be able to load other-region/burned discs without any third party software at all but really that is pretty ghetto.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
okay, so I had a nicely setup Wii, untouched for the last few months (i.e. still running 3.3, USB loader based on the original 1.5 or whatever nearly as soon as it was released, cIOS36 rev9 or 10, etc.

just got Sports Resort and an extra Motion Plus, time to update! got a new USB loader, tried to safely update to 4.1 (not official), whoops, error -1036. patch (or repatch? nothing should've loving touched it in the first place) IOS60, try 4.1 again, works fine now.

but now, HBC just gives me a black screen. it doesn't seem like it should be a Trucha issue or anything, because my USB loader still works fine when launching from its own channel. anyone have the slightest idea what the gently caress? I'm not particularly worried or inconvenienced for now, as my loader works perfectly and I made a NAND backup right before updating, but this is still kind of confusing and annoying. just wondering if there's some elegant fix, before I try reinstalling HBC via bannerbomb or something... would also rather not mess around with re-exploiting/reinstalling anything since everything is all nicely in place already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

SwissCM posted:

Just reinstalling HBC using the bannerbomb worked fine for me.
well, I'm sure it would work, but I'm just curious wtf is going on here. did you have the same thing happen? anyone else have HBC stop working after (properly) updating to 4.1 and/or patching anything like this? I'm just wondering why it happened, I can't think of any reason. was the newest HBC too, I had just updated that like an hour earlier.

• Locked thread