Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
In this thread I'll be going over each generation of consoles from the first to the seventh. I'll try to provide sales data when I can but sometimes it's a bit spotty. Tough poo poo I guess. Included in the first couple generations will be the CPU speed since it was pretty important back in the day but I'll probably drop it or expand it to include other hardware like video cards and storage capabilities.

Generation the First
Generation the Second
Generation the Third
Generation the Fourth
Generation the Fifth
Generation the Sixth
Generation the Seventh

Halo Bros Natty Ice posted:

PREPARE FOR THE FIRST GENERATION.

A Curvy Goonette fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirigible stew
Feb 18, 2006

Fiorst Post Easily Clamied :smug:

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

GENERATION THE FIRST 1972-1975

note - all of these are just variations on Pong and as such should be rediculed because who would buy two seperate verions of a lovely game (spambot joke hurrr)

MAGNAVOX ODYSSEY SERIES

code:
RELEASE DATE	UNIT PRICE	UNITS SOLD	MEDIA TYPE	CPU
------------	----------	----------	----------	---
1972		$100		330,000		Jumper circuits	N/A
1974		$100				ditto		N/A
1975		$230				ditto		N/A
First video game console ever. Hundred bucks people payed for Pong back in the 70s, gently caress they payed $230 for just an upgraded version a few years later. There were a few different Odysseys but were mostly the same aside from a later one that was a part of the Second Generation. Not much to say man it's loving Pong.

Philips Tele-Spiel

code:
1975		60 Euros	Unknown		Cartridge	N/A
This was a European version of Pong made by Philips who wanted to fight the Atari/Magnavox monopoly on the game by tapping the EU market early. Didn't work apparently just like all of Philips consoles, the stupid fucks.

ATARI/SEARS TELEGAMES PONG

code:
1975		$98.95		Unknown		N/A		N/A
The only Pong game to actually be called Pong on the console market. Atari created this after the rousing success of their upright cabinets in arcades and bowling alleys across the country. Magnavox actually sued Atari because they rightly assumed that Atari ripped them off. Magnavox continuned to make a mint suing other Pong clones and were all around douchebags about the whole deal.

COLECO TELESTAR

code:
1976		~$100		Unknown		Cartirdge	N/A
Oh Coleco, you lovable little underdog console scamps, what won't you do to get your foot in the console door? Making Pong clones with loving wood paneling on the console is apparnetly not above them so they went right ahead and did it. Probably got sued by Magnavox in the process.

Teh z0rceror
Dec 14, 2004

gimme dat 3rd post

A BALLIN LUNCH!!
Mar 13, 2007

how about you go over to byob

Teh z0rceror
Dec 14, 2004

yah do that

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

A BALLIN LUNCH!! posted:

how about you go over to byob

no chance faglord teh

AssZitBabe
Apr 30, 2004

by Peatpot
seems like effort

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
op's stomach has incredible pizza storage capabilities

anime
Feb 21, 2003
PC Gaming Wins again

5 DOLLAR FOOT LONG
Jul 14, 2007

dodecatuple secret probation
do some tiers

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

keep going

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

yeah i've got the first two written up already but not anything beyond that

the 2nd is really long

Lets Play Arson
Aug 5, 2007
i like this thread. looking forward to future updates

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

thisi s gay

Scorpio!
Jan 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl
post it

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
waiting with bated breath

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
GROUND FLOOR WOOT

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

woot

Scorpio!
Jan 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl
where the gently caress are the psots

racist man 3D
Oct 11, 2007

breaking the fourth wall

Scorpio! posted:

where the gently caress are the psots

hold on its only 3 hours since i last ate

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

I always cry at the end of this story

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

GENERATION THE SECOND 1976-1984

and there's a lot of them

FAIRCHILD CHANNEL F

code:
1976		$169.95		Unknown		True Cartridge	1.79 Mhz
This little baby was the first console to have a true CPU. It was also the first game console to have true cartridges, which made Atari poo poo bricks because their 2600 system was still in development and needed to be pushed out to compete with the superior hardware of the Fairchild. This meant that Atari had to be sold to Warner Communications to gain enough capital to finish R&D on the 2600 so it could become the best selling console of the generation. As for the Fairchild? Meh, who cares. lol 69

RCA STUDIO II

code:
1977		$150		Not many man	Cartridge	1.78 Mhz
Despite being released a year after the Fairchild this piece of poo poo only had black and white video and could only create beeping sounds of different lengths. As seen it also didn't have joysticks but keypads built into the actual machine. The release of the 2600 was the death kneel of this crappy bastard, and it was discontinued in 1979. Also one of the games it shipped with was called Patterns how gay is that.

NINTENDO COLOR TV GAME

code:
1977		Unknown		Unknown		Cartridge	Unknown
Here it is boys the first home console released by Nintendo and it's drat difficult to find information about it. The thing was only released in Japan and there are about 5 different versions of it but I can't be asked to document all of them so gently caress it. The first Color TV Game was a fancy pong game and was controlled via knobs on the actual console, later ones had controllers attached via cable which was both smarter and more obvious. The external design is also the first project Miyamoto worked on after being hired by Nintendo in 1977. It's also orange which is god awful ugly.

ATARI 2600/VCS

code:
1977		$199		Over 30 Mil	Cartridge	1.19 Mhz
The 2600, despite the wood paneling on the console, dominated the second generation. It put most of the other manufacturers out of business or drove them away from the market so that Atari could utterly gently caress the duck in the future. Despite having a significantly lower processor speed than both the Fairchild and RCA Studio the 2600 had superior color technology which meant that players could actually look at something instead of a black and white screen that feature two blips shooting small lines at other blips. At the same time the 2600 set up the Video Game Crash of 1983 by allowing easy third party software development which flooded the market with lovely games and horrible knockoffs. This meant that after the crash Nintendo was ready to take the console market by storm with the Famicom/NES. The joysticks also look like dongs lol.

MAGNAVOX ODYSSEY2

code:
1978		$249		2 Mil 		Cartridge	1.79 Mhz
The Odyssey super2/super shares a lot in common with the 2600, with a few differences. One, they allowed no third party developers to create games for the system which meant that the total game library was tiny compared to the 2600 but was much higher quality. The Odyssey super2/super also had a full keyboard built into the top of the console which could be used for educational games and other such things. Finally it had a relatively good speech synthesizer unit which was used for sound effects in games and in music software. Honestly it was a pretty solid console for the time but the massive market share of the 2600 kept it down.

MATTEL INTELLIVSION

code:
1980		$150		3 Mil		Cartridge	894.886 Khz<----
This poor bastard caused Mattel to be the first victim of the Video Game Crash of 83. Despite selling 3 million units the game was peppered with flaws both technical and managemental. Notice that the processor speed is below a megahertz, which was out of date years before the console was released but somehow people still bought these things. The biggest reason people remember this console was the keyboard function that Mattel kept promising and never released, which caused the Federal Trade Commission to get involved and order Mattel to pay a $10,000 a day fine until the keyboard was released. They canceled the project soon after. And the controller looked stupid as gently caress seriously.

ATARI 5200

code:
1982		$249		Unknown		Cartridge	1.79 Mhz
Well if it's the 5200 it must be twice as good as the 2600, right? RIGHT? Wrong fucko. While the actual hardware was technically superior to the 2600's, Atari really screwed the pooch on this one. Even though it was released 5 years after the 2600 Atari didn't pay much attention to their own console, continuing to saturate the market of the 2600 because that was their big seller at the time. The one thing the 2600 had that the 5200 didn't was a reliable controller. The 2600's joysticks were anchored with springs to the pad, while the 5200's were just weak rubber that had a flex circuit in the joint. This meant that the 5200s failed all. the. time. They also had a chance to randomly lock up and to fix that problem they had to loosen the specs on the entire controller so you flailed it around like a wet fetuccini noodle to play games. The 5200 also wasn't backwards compatible with the 2600 cartridges, so people who had a massive library of 2600 games and bought a 5200 were basically screwed. This is the beginning of Atari's long downward spiral, and they had it coming.

VECTREX

code:
1982		$199		Unknown		Cartridge	1.5 Mhz
The defining feature of this guy is the monitor that the unit shipped with. Unlike most consoles the Vectrex outputted vector (hurr) graphics, which required a special monitor that shipped with the unit. This was both good and bad. The good part was people could play color games without needing to buy color TVs that were still relatively expensive at the time. The downside is the monitor only measure around 9.5" diagonally, and so kids either had to sit really drat close to the thing or play farther away in squinty vision. Though considering the graphics this wasn't too bad. Vectrex tried to market high-brow games only, which didn't turn out so hot for them when the crash hit. They closed their doors in 1984 and took this little guy with them.
EDIT I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT THE VECTREX WAS MONOCHROME BUT YOU PUT PLASTIC ON THE MONITOR FOR DIFFERENT GAMES THANK YOU OETKER

ARCADIA 2001

code:
1982		$199		Barely any	Cartridge	3.58 Mhz
This thing is a bit of an odd duck. The actual console itself was tiny, and could be plugged into a 12v cigarette lighter-style power supply so it could be taken in a car or on a boat. The stupid part was that it still required a TV to play, and portable TVs were almost nonexistant in the early 80s. They also got dicked by Atari because Atari had many exlusive deals on games like Pacman and Defender so even though Arcadia made the games, they couldn't sell them and had to sit on thousands of cartridges. In addition it came out almost at the same time as the 5200 and Colecovision and so was pretty much DOA the minute it was out the door. Also of note the thing reverts back to the no-controller scheme of the first generation.
EDIT I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT THE ARCADIA'S CONTROLLERS ACTUALLY SLID OUT ON WIRES LIKE OTHER CONSOLES THERE ARE YOU HAPPY YOU WHINY F*CKS

COLECOVISION

code:
1982		$199		>500,000	Cartridge	3.58 Mhz
The ColecoVision was famous for a couple of things. First of all was it's weird controller, which was actually pretty similar to the Intellivisions. The second were the expansion modules, of which there were 3. The first allowed the ColecoVision to play all of the Atari 2600 games, which in effect gave them access to a massive game library at a fraction of the cost of publishing. The downside was Atari was pretty sue-happy at the time and so got them embroiled in litigation. The upside again was that Atari failed to win because the 2600 could be produced out of common parts and so ColecoVision got away with that shady poo poo. The 2nd expansion module was a driving wheel with a pedal, pretty advanced for the time and it looked kinda neat too. The third and final expansion was a complete computer conversion kit. It allowed keyboard into to the unit and gave the ColecoVision the ability to read cassette data tapes. Pretty neat, and a cool name to boot.

SEGA SG-1000

code:
1983		15,000 Yen	Unknown		Cartridge	3.58 Mhz
Sega's first console and the basis of their much more popular Sega Master System. Relatively good looking for a console from the 80s, there wasn't too much that was remarkable about it. The had an average processor speed for the time, an average library of games, and was mainly sold only in Japan and a little bit in Australia. One thing that was interesting was people in Taiwan ate this thing up, and started making pirated cartridges soon after, which even had hardware switches that allowed the choosing between several different games. Taiwan also managed to pirate 3 different versions of the 2600 named Adventurer, Delight, and Steadfast Creator. Pretty drat sweet names I wish my console was named Steadfast creator.

edit: edited in prices for a few consoles thanks redjakk

A Curvy Goonette fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 19, 2009

racist man 3D
Oct 11, 2007

breaking the fourth wall

racist man 3D posted:

hold on its only 3 hours since i last ate

this is a Zinger btw

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
the vectrex, perhaps the dreamcast of the late 70s

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

added to da op

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
a throwback to a more civilised time

Spambot
Aug 21, 2006

by Fistgrrl
The complete console generation guide, 1972-2009

1972-2009: No Games.

Close. The. Thread. Now.

Scorpio!
Jan 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Halo Bros Natty Ice posted:

AssZitBabe
Apr 30, 2004

by Peatpot

Spambot posted:

Close. The. Thread. Now.

dontt

Spambot
Aug 21, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Ah yes. BYOB Meets Consoles in a Mural of Unrivaled MS Paint Talent.

racist man 3D
Oct 11, 2007

breaking the fourth wall

Spambot posted:

Close. The. Thread. Now.

spambot why dont you post jc denton lines any more

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Spambot posted:

Ah yes,

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Spambot i recognize the superiority of pc gaming but this is important please.

Snailor Moon
Jun 29, 2006

by mons al-madeen
cool thread, im liking it so far

Metajo
Nov 1, 2006

Created by R-Force Software
Your Console Sucks
your console ducks was awesome

Scorpio!
Jan 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl
spambot derails the thready by forcing me to bring up his love of fursona

Spambot
Aug 21, 2006

by Fistgrrl
No, it was BYOB. Have fun being wrong while I'll just stand here and be Right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spambot
Aug 21, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Of what?