Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«217 »
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Don't fish swim south for the winter?

No, sir. That's birds.

Birds swim south? How do they breath?

Gewehr 43 posted:

Fixed.

I fully refuse to believe that price was anything but a stupid joke that didn't translate well to the internet.

Any other option would just make my head explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Joke or not, I still want buttstroke the guy with his own Dragu-not abomination.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

No, sir. That's birds.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Joke or not, I still want buttstroke the guy with his own Dragu-not abomination.

Yeah, it's a monstrosity, but at least he had the good sense not to cut anything up to do it.

Then again, I'm also the kind of guy who would have bought one of those crazy aluminum space gun drop-in stocks for my beater Garand (before I sold it) if they didn't cost north of $500.

I still can't believe he leaves that rod out in the open like that, though.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at Mar 16, 2009 around 21:09

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Does it have an actual gas tube?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

The Zen of Sixgun:
If I buy a gun, and don't post how terribly pleased I am...does it even please me at all?

This gun looks positively dangerous:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=125138499

I love how it has BRITISH BULLDOG stamped on the top.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

No, sir. That's birds.

Groda posted:

Does it have an actual gas tube?

Kinda, sorta, not really.

It's got a three part rod system. The gas goes through the gas port up into the gas bock, down a very short gas tube and exits out into a cup-shaped sheath that's fairly long. This cup sits on top of a rod segment which extends down the length of the gun and then pushes the bolt.

Pictures will explain it better:

Here is the front end of the gas system (the rod that disappears off to the right goes the length of the barrel and pushes the bolt)

Here you can see the rod removed from that cup thing.

And here you can see the cup thing taken off the gas tube and set down next to it.

The part he removed to make it look more like an SVD is a metal dust cover that was put there for a reason. All three of those parts are chugging along and moving together when firing the gun and it really doesn't take much to get debris down into the cup and between it and the gas tube. Once that happens it's going to get mashed around and mixed with fouling and turn into a nice gunk that will slow the cycling of the gun and cause all sorts of fun FTE/FTF problems.

The whole issue with the soviets not liking this rifle? Its because you had to keep those parts clean. The Germans took the time to do that and loved the gun because of it, enough so that they copied the system for the G/K43 with a few slight modifications.

But yeah, leaving that uncovered is retarded.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

As always, great answers!

Why do you think they didn't enclose the whole thing? The AK might not actually need its gas tube, but at least it's there to keep things more or less covered up.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

he's the one who gives his body/
as a weapon of the war/
and without him all this killing can't go on

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

This gun looks positively dangerous:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=125138499

I love how it has BRITISH BULLDOG stamped on the top.

Well, I know what I'm getting on my next Afghanistan trip (which is unfortunately looking like September at the absolute earliest now):

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Well, I know what I'm getting on my next Afghanistan trip (which is unfortunately looking like September at the absolute earliest now):

This thing looks like a cartoon gun. Does it also have caricature bullets?

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

UNBEARABLE AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Oh man! UNFORTUNATELY I won't get to go to a HELLISH WAR ZONE soon enough!

justkiddingdevildog

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

as a weapon of the war/

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

Oh man! UNFORTUNATELY I won't get to go to a HELLISH WAR ZONE soon enough!

justkiddingdevildog

you don't "get" war, do you?

Besides, if I go this fall it'll be as a contractor, so making about 3x what I made deploying as a captain. That's a spicy meatball.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

you don't "get" war, do you?

I played battlefield 2, are you telling me it's NOT like that?!

This...this changes everything...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

Seeing animals in pain is fucking HILARIOUS. Can't crop that out, Buddy!

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing a Martini-action handgun in .577/450 Martini-Henry (black powder cartridge, 8-10 inch barrel...)

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at Mar 18, 2009 around 16:56

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

No, sir. That's birds.

Groda posted:

As always, great answers!

Why do you think they didn't enclose the whole thing? The AK might not actually need its gas tube, but at least it's there to keep things more or less covered up.

I'm guessing something about cleaning. You can get away with not cleaning an AK gas tube - even if it rusts it doesn't matter. I can't see a way to do that with this design.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

as a weapon of the war/

Ygolonac posted:

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing a Martini-action handgun in .577/450 Martini-Henry (black powder cartridge, 8-10 inch barrel...

Dannywilson had one, but customs wouldn't let him take it back. Not sure if it was because it was a handgun or because it was .303.

I, however, got two Snider pistols back:

(No, I haven't shot them, since they're cobbled together by Pathans and I don't want to go through life nicknamed "Lefty")

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

(No, I haven't shot them, since they're cobbled together by Pathans and I don't want to go through life nicknamed "Lefty")

What about ye' old hide behind a tree with a string on the trigger technique?

It's how most of TFR headspaces their mosins iirc.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

as a weapon of the war/

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

What about ye' old hide behind a tree with a string on the trigger technique?

It's how most of TFR headspaces their mosins iirc.

There's a huge, tremendous difference between:

-"Check the headspace on a century-old rifle made by a government that was still operating under the feudal system."

and

-"Proof-test a firearm based on a halfassed mid-19th century breechloader design that has been copied by a Pathan 150 years later from purloined railroad spikes using fewer tools than most of us would use to assemble Ikea furniture."

Jesse Custer
Mar 7, 2009

Wow, never seen Snider pistols before. I have a Snider carbine sitting in my closet. I managed to get my hands on an Enfield Cavalry Carbine pistol a while back, but sold it before I could take any pictures.

And I'm with TTFA, you couldn't pay me to test-fire my Snider.

HotCanadianChick
Oct 3, 2002

I AM AGGRESSIVELY SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD. MY CAR / SYNTH / CAT IS THE FUCKING BEST AND YOURS IS COMPLETE CRAP. MY OPINION IS THE ONLY OPINION YOU FUCKING IGNORANT POOR

Besides, if I go this fall it'll be as a contractor, so making about 3x what I made deploying as a captain. That's a spicy meatball.

Wait, you were a commissioned officer?

No wonder you're so clueless I kid, I kid

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Oh well looky what what we got ourselves over here.

Hey guys, check out the buy now price on this baby! What a steal!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=124872911

Seriously, what the hell? What some people try to get away with. Out of curiosity, how much should one of these go for? I saw two, one by Colt, one by FN, at a local store going for $299 a piece.

HotCanadianChick
Oct 3, 2002

I AM AGGRESSIVELY SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD. MY CAR / SYNTH / CAT IS THE FUCKING BEST AND YOURS IS COMPLETE CRAP. MY OPINION IS THE ONLY OPINION YOU FUCKING IGNORANT POOR

Detective Thompson posted:

Hey guys, check out the buy now price on this baby! What a steal!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=124872911

Seriously, what the hell? What some people try to get away with. Out of curiosity, how much should one of these go for? I saw two, one by Colt, one by FN, at a local store going for $299 a piece.

AFAIK those haven't been manufactured since 1948, and like any old Colt, (or old Browning design) they're probably pretty collectible now.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Oh well looky what what we got ourselves over here.

HotCanadianChick posted:

AFAIK those haven't been manufactured since 1948, and like any old Colt, (or old Browning design) they're probably pretty collectible now.

Yeah, I'm sure they're collectible. The ones I saw piqued my interest. But I was just blown away by the $1200 Buy Now price on that auction I linked to. If the dealer I went to is selling them for $299, then $1200 can't possibly be reasonable. But they are neat little pieces, and I've had a thing for the past few weeks for pocket pistols.

Dannywilson
Apr 28, 2006

Braindead

Ygolonac posted:

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing a Martini-action handgun in .577/450 Martini-Henry (black powder cartridge, 8-10 inch barrel...)

Dannywilson had one, but customs wouldn't let him take it back. Not sure if it was because it was a handgun or because it was .303.

The reasons they gave me were a bit of both. I really wish I could have got it back. Maybe if I had sweet talked the customs agent some more, but I didn't want to try my luck after getting the BSA .22 back. The 8's stamped all over the fucker really cracked me up.

Away Message
Apr 8, 2003

Dannywilson posted:

pics
Okay, what the hell is the effective barrel length? Half an inch?

Dannywilson
Apr 28, 2006

Braindead

Away Message posted:

Okay, what the hell is the effective barrel length? Half an inch?

It was picked up in an Afghani bazaar for $50 and I never got to throw a bunch of different rounds at it to see what the probability was, as i couldn't take it home, but .303 seems to be about the right size. the effective length was around 3-4 inches, the gun is a lot bigger than the pictures make it out to be.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

Seeing animals in pain is fucking HILARIOUS. Can't crop that out, Buddy!

One of those Martini pistols did make it stateside, someone was selling it on Gunbroker. I had to dig out the pics I saved from your previous thread and compare 'em to make sure it wasn't the same one. (Double-rows of 8s on that one.)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=122333757

Oh hell, here's another one...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=124753507

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

The Zen of Sixgun:
If I buy a gun, and don't post how terribly pleased I am...does it even please me at all?

This should probably go in the Taticlol thread, but...

Linda:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=125086556

Lono was taken
Aug 26, 2006

This is Detective Faggot Mulder, they want to shut down the Ass Files.

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

This should probably go in the Taticlol thread, but...

Linda:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=125086556

Looks like a Tippmann 98

Just Joe
Dec 31, 2008

Dannywilson posted:

Spotted: Rock or something.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Just Joe posted:

Spotted: Rock or something.
Being used for its documented purpose - propping up a heater!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

What the hell did this guy do to the finish?

ANTIQUE - BURNSIDE - MINT? BUY AMERICAN

quote:

FIRST, BUY AMERICAN AND SAVE AMERICAN JOBS. LETS GET TOGETHER. PLEASE INCLUDE THIS MESSAGE IN ALL YOUR GUN BROKER LISTINGS.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

No, sir. That's birds.

Groda posted:

What the hell did this guy do to the finish?

ANTIQUE - BURNSIDE - MINT? BUY AMERICAN

I'll make sure to do that. My next K98k purchase will certainly provide lots of work for our workers.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll make sure to do that. My next K98k purchase will certainly provide lots of work for our workers.

REMINGTON 1894 SHOTGUN - BUY AMERICAN-

quote:

...URGENT MESSAGE... PLEASE BUY AMERICAN AND ONLY AMERICAN. IF ANY NEW CAR OR TRUCK PURCHASED OR LEASED IN AMERICA WAS A BIG THREE PRODUCT WE COULD GET OUT OF THIS MESS. EVEN IF YOU ARE CONVINCED THAT FOREIGN CARS ARE BETTER IT WOULD HELP OUR COUNTRY EVEN IF IT WAS A ONE TIME ENDEVOUR. AND THAT GOES FOR ANY PRODUCT THAT DOES NOT SAY MADE IN AMERICA. LETS SEND THE OUTSOURCE PEOPLE OVER SEAS ON A RAIL... PLEASE PASS THIS AROUND. INCLUDE THIS MESSAGE IN ALL YOUR GUN BROKER LISTINGS.....

That first gun looks like he really went at it with rust removal. Like with kitchen steel wool.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Aren't most American cars built in Mexico? I know my JAP TOYOTA was built in the US though.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

as a weapon of the war/

McCheese posted:

Aren't most American cars built in Mexico? I know my JAP TOYOTA was built in the US though.

I own a Corolla, probably built in Tennesse. And my motorbikes are all Nipponese

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

I own a Corolla, probably built in Tennesse. And my motorbikes are all Nipponese

First number of your VIN is the country code.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

McCheese posted:

Made in the US by NON UNION WORKERS, you Commie!

A lot of Ford's parts are made in Mexico, but final assembly occurs in the US so it can be called 'American Made' for the crowd. Toyota and Honda have massive amounts of US made parts, pretty much only the electronics and computer-y bits are from glorious Nippon. BMW, VW and Mercedes are getting there if they aren't already. My sisters G6 sales sticker claims 100% US-origin parts though. I'm not really sure where GM and Chrysler stand on parts origin, and if they are hiding behind the small print like Ford, sending US-made subassemblies off to get put together and then doing final assembly with union workers.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=125452365
The title makes me chuckle.

Propagandalf fucked around with this message at Mar 23, 2009 around 12:29

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

When I first started reading TFR,
I thought that Obama-voting
contrarian extraordinaire Pitch
was the biggest faggot on there.

As time went on it got to the point where he didn't even rank.

That's how bad it's gotten.

Propagandalf posted:

A lot of Ford's parts are made in Mexico, but final assembly occurs in the US so it can be called 'American Made' for the crowd.
The Hermosillo plant is full-assembly. My Ford Focus was built there, I think it produces Fusions now.

Tmavomodry
Jun 2, 2008

Professionals have standards. Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

quote:

...URGENT MESSAGE... PLEASE BUY AMERICAN AND ONLY AMERICAN. IF ANY NEW CAR OR TRUCK PURCHASED OR LEASED IN AMERICA WAS A BIG THREE PRODUCT WE COULD GET OUT OF THIS MESS. EVEN IF YOU ARE CONVINCED THAT FOREIGN CARS ARE BETTER IT WOULD HELP OUR COUNTRY EVEN IF IT WAS A ONE TIME ENDEVOUR.

WHO CARES IF THE DOMESTIC PRODUCT IS INFERIOR AND WILL COST YOU MONEY IN THE LONG RUN? YOU OWE IT TO DETROIT AREA FACTORY WORKERS TO PROP UP THEIR INFLATED SENSES OF ENTITLEMENT BY VIRTUE OF THE FACT THAT YOU WERE BOTH BORN ON THE SAME LAND MASS.

quote:

AND THAT GOES FOR ANY PRODUCT THAT DOES NOT SAY MADE IN AMERICA.

Too bad most of our manufacturing equipment was boxed up and sent to China long ago, and that the average American is unwilling to do the job of operating those machines for anything less than the equivalent of about $50,000 a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

No, sir. That's birds.

Tmavomodry posted:

Too bad most of our manufacturing equipment was boxed up and sent to China long ago, and that the average American is unwilling to do the job of operating those machines for anything less than the equivalent of about $50,000 a year.

The way my current employment prospects are looking, I kind of wish I'd taken some machining courses or something after high school. $30k a year would be a king's ransom right about now for me.

«217 »