Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I'm zone 5 and temp range has been hovering around 40-60 daily. All my plants (tomatoes, peppers, some herbs) are in pots and they seem to be just maintaining, neither growing nor looking too rough. Frost doesnt seem likely, but is there anything else I could do to help them out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

AlistairCookie posted:

It looks like you may have a couple different issues going on. The yellowing and curling leaves could be overwatering/humidity, (although it may be just the right natural time for the seed leaves and lower leaves to die off, as they're being replaced by new ones) but those pots look very wet, and have green on the soil--which means the top of the soil is wet a lot. This happened to me with my cabbage starts. Where are you--can you just set them outside? I find just putting the plants outside cures a lot of physiological ills. My pepper starts get a bit of that vague, purple blushing on their leaves too but it always goes away once they're outside in the ground.

But the bottom picture looks like something else entirely. I'm not sure what though, seeing as disease and pests are unlikely indoors.

I'm Zone 6b, michigan... Last frost is always a crapshoot, it can happen as late as the beginning of June.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

always be closing posted:

Do I need to be concerned about this? Zone 6, Tomatillo plant.

I don't know what it is, but by mid summer, my entire tomatillo patch look like that. I do nothing, as it doesn't seem to impact them one bit. If it ain't broke...

ashgromnies posted:

I'm Zone 6b, michigan... Last frost is always a crapshoot, it can happen as late as the beginning of June.

I would at least set the herbs out, and see if they improve outside. It's already the end of May. (BTW, you can look up your last frost date for your area each year and see if it's passed yet.)

Photos!

Sage and thyme blooming beautifully

Strawberries starting to ripen!

The garden from the back; those are potatoes outside the fence there.

Holy poo poo, blackberries! Last spring, that was a freshly planted, 12 inch twig from Gurneys. There's 3, and they all look like that!

An overview, from an upstairs window (complete with children.)

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 23, 2015

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Well, it's been two weeks of nothing but wind and 10C/50F weather... RIP thyme, RIP oregano, I couldn't even remember your names. :(

At least the basil looks like it might survive... But I'll get already started herbs next time.

I'll try to save the few tomato plants still standing in the middle in the meantime. Should I be installing a guide already? Especially with all the wind?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Jan posted:

I'll try to save the few tomato plants still standing in the middle in the meantime. Should I be installing a guide already? Especially with all the wind?

Yes! I tie mine up from the beginning. Never know when a bad storm will snap your wee baby plant right in half. (And don't despair about your herbs too much; you can easily start more seeds. They grow very quickly once the weather is reliably warm-ish. My cilantro is already big enough it's trying to flower, and it's only about a month old.) And oregano is a perennial--my patches are competing with my mint for most annoying plant that won't quit.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jan posted:

Well, it's been two weeks of nothing but wind and 10C/50F weather... RIP thyme, RIP oregano, I couldn't even remember your names. :(

At least the basil looks like it might survive... But I'll get already started herbs next time.

It took me 3 attempts to get basil growing this year, don't sweat it and try again.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Basil is the one plant I reliably fail at. I think my longest streak is maybe three and a half months.

Thai basil on the other hand always grows like crazy. Impossible to keep that from bolting though. I pick of three dozen flowers and two days later there will be two dozen more.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Weird, I keep getting these fresh basil plants from my grocery store, I've also tried thyme, dill and cilantro... But the only one I've been able to keep is basil. This is keeping indoors at the badly lit (4-ish hours direct sunlight) windowsill in my kitchen, mind you, not outdoors. I usually end up cycling the basil because I'm bad at trimming it properly and it ends up turning woody.

Good to know oregano/thyme grow faster in warmer/sunnier conditions, I tried keeping them indoors for warmth but they kind of stopped growing after 3 weeks... So I decided to try more sunlight, less warmth and put them outside last week, which just finished them off. Still think I'll get pre-started ones next time. :(

e: the current state of the windowsill basil

Jan fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 24, 2015

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I went out at night to check for slugs and these things are all over my tomatoes. They didn't seem to be biting the leaves, just chilling out looking gross as hell. I do have quite a bit of damage to my pepper plants, but these are mostly on the tomatoes so I'm guessing they aren't to blame?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Alistair, your garden and backyard look beautiful, keep it up! I am inspired for sure.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mrmcd posted:

Thai basil on the other hand always grows like crazy. Impossible to keep that from bolting though. I pick of three dozen flowers and two days later there will be two dozen more.

My mom gave me the trick for this one: when it starts getting really bolty chop the top 2/3s off and then water the hell out of it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Motronic posted:

My mom gave me the trick for this one: when it starts getting really bolty chop the top 2/3s off and then water the hell out of it.

The "how to harvest" advice I see about basil is basically this.

Just lop off anything above the second from the bottom set of leaves and it'll make 2 more branches in its place.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
My dad is giving me their compost container, I'm excited to use it but I'm a little worried about any mice or pests getting into it. What are some tips for a beginner I should know? I was considering taking some runners from my mint plant and planting it in the area where the compost bin would be, but would like some other tips.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Just discovered today, any of the big bags of Perlite and Vermiculite at Homedepot that are marked as having a hole are only $6, normally $30.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Toriori posted:

My dad is giving me their compost container, I'm excited to use it but I'm a little worried about any mice or pests getting into it. What are some tips for a beginner I should know? I was considering taking some runners from my mint plant and planting it in the area where the compost bin would be, but would like some other tips.

Is it one of those containers on a stand that you can rotate, or something that's on the ground? I'm just starting a compost pile this year, but have had some luck getting things hot enough (read: nitrogen) to almost be steamy when I stir up the pile. I just made a pile on the ground: half lawn clippings, half mulched with the mower/already decomposing leaves from last year that I had sitting around doing nothing, and some kitchen scraps when I remember to keep them. Alternated thin layers of each, water as needed (to a "damp sponge" level), and let sit for four days or so, then stir/re-pile every three or four days afterwards, watering as necessary. That's for "hot" compsting anyway, where the internal temp gets pretty warm and things move along much faster to finished compost. I haven't had any worry on things living in the pile, as long as it's been staying warmish anyway (and sorta smelly, I probably need more aeration and "brown" carbon-y material like leaves).

If the pile doesn't get into the "hot" range, things just take longer to decompose.. It's one of those things if you work to help it along it goes a lot faster but it'll decompose on its own just fine too

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Feels like my plants have sort of gone into idle mode. Its been 50s at night recently and no real growth. It also seems each zucchini plant has at least one leaf that has gone to brittle poo poo. I've taken those off but my zucchinis and cukes aren't even attempting to vine, they're just sort of existing and getting bigger leaves.

Also one tomato plant has the 3 tomatoes it got as its first spawn that are still growing and green but any other flowers show up and fall off. The other plant has 2 clusters of 2 but also has flowers that fall off. Everyone always talks about these plants like they'll overwhelm me but they ain't doing poo poo. Is their prime time more of a late June/July event? I'll be gone late July thru early August so if they're going to kick off then and pump out fruit in a week at a time I'll have to train a few people who will be taking care of them.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Could I get an id? My gf just moved into a new place whose previous owners left behind a pretty good little herb garden. Sitting next to the herb garden is a big something-or-another that she hasn't pulled yet since maybe it's part of the garden? But it's not in a garden sort of planting, so maybe it's just a huge weed.

(click for bigger)

Any ideas?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Could be hollyhock. It'll be easier to tell when it blooms.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

One of these things is not like the others

And as usual my parents go a bit overboard with their garden

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

always be closing posted:

Alistair, your garden and backyard look beautiful, keep it up! I am inspired for sure.

Aww, thanks. :)

Alterian's got it; it's a hollyhock. It will be beautiful!

Shifty Pony posted:

One of these things is not like the others

You too? I have random potatoes in the most bizarre places. One's growing amidst the beets now, which at least makes sense because there were potatoes in that spot last year, but I also have several in other places that have never had potatoes. I figure they're from scraps in the compost. I usually just let them go if they're not in *too* disruptive of a place.

And your parents haven't gone overboard at all. Too much is not enough. :colbert: (It looks amazing, and I'm a little jealous. ;) )

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

lwoodio posted:

I went out at night to check for slugs and these things are all over my tomatoes. They didn't seem to be biting the leaves, just chilling out looking gross as hell. I do have quite a bit of damage to my pepper plants, but these are mostly on the tomatoes so I'm guessing they aren't to blame?

Looks like earwigs. They might, in fact, be guilty of chowing on your plants.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

dedian posted:

Is it one of those containers on a stand that you can rotate, or something that's on the ground? I'm just starting a compost pile this year, but have had some luck getting things hot enough (read: nitrogen) to almost be steamy when I stir up the pile. I just made a pile on the ground: half lawn clippings, half mulched with the mower/already decomposing leaves from last year that I had sitting around doing nothing, and some kitchen scraps when I remember to keep them. Alternated thin layers of each, water as needed (to a "damp sponge" level), and let sit for four days or so, then stir/re-pile every three or four days afterwards, watering as necessary. That's for "hot" compsting anyway, where the internal temp gets pretty warm and things move along much faster to finished compost. I haven't had any worry on things living in the pile, as long as it's been staying warmish anyway (and sorta smelly, I probably need more aeration and "brown" carbon-y material like leaves).

If the pile doesn't get into the "hot" range, things just take longer to decompose.. It's one of those things if you work to help it along it goes a lot faster but it'll decompose on its own just fine too

It's a black bin, I believe I have to still turn it on my own. I read about putting wire mesh beneath so they can't get in and making sure it's kept moist, but it all still leaves me a tad concerned after dealing with some mice in my last house. I'll keep it hot and wet.;-*

lwoodio posted:

Watch the film "Earwigs, Ewww!" Starring Troy Mclure.
Seriously though, yeah, nasty earwigs. You might consider putting some wet newspaper in a plastic bag in a shady spot near your garden, earwigs love damp, dark places. Then smash it with a baseball bat forever. They usually move around from year to hear so you might see a ton one year and then none at all the next.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 26, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

AlistairCookie posted:

You too? I have random potatoes in the most bizarre places. One's growing amidst the beets now, which at least makes sense because there were potatoes in that spot last year, but I also have several in other places that have never had potatoes. I figure they're from scraps in the compost. I usually just let them go if they're not in *too* disruptive of a place.

And your parents haven't gone overboard at all. Too much is not enough. :colbert: (It looks amazing, and I'm a little jealous. ;) )

I have one in the zinnias and one in the middle of my tomatoes. I mean I like volunteer plants and all but ones you have to dig up to harvest are a bit annoying when they grow in the middle of stuff which you expect to be blooming/fruiting until frost.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Murder all earwigs everywhere forever, I hate those bugs so much

e: I think my cucumber and zucchini plants are hosed. No flowers yet and some leaves feel crumbly and have holes. Looking at white rust pictures it doesn't really look the same but I'm most worried that it's a disease that is also screwing up any possible flowers.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Seriously, gently caress earwigs. They're assholes because they only eat all the soft, tender parts of your plants- they especially love to eat the flowers.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Do they even serve a loving purpose at all? What the hell, evolution, why couldn't they be like adorable baby ducks or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Toriori posted:

What the hell, evolution, why couldn't they be like adorable baby ducks or something.

This just made me laugh entirely too much.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

A short story on failure

God

dammit

I suck

at this

(ok this look way more wilted irl)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Compost Question:

So I've got this quickly growing pile of weeds and tall grasses I've pulled from my beds. Half of me thinks it's be good to just throw them into my compost tumbler, but I'm worried I might be making trouble for myself by inoculating the whole batch with seeds/etc that then just make the weeds pop up even more densely wherever I toss the compost later on. On the one hand I'd think that everything should break down pretty well if properly composted, but on the other hand seeds are notoriously hearty, and weeds are... well, weeds.

Thoughts?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hubis posted:

Compost Question:

So I've got this quickly growing pile of weeds and tall grasses I've pulled from my beds. Half of me thinks it's be good to just throw them into my compost tumbler, but I'm worried I might be making trouble for myself by inoculating the whole batch with seeds/etc that then just make the weeds pop up even more densely wherever I toss the compost later on. On the one hand I'd think that everything should break down pretty well if properly composted, but on the other hand seeds are notoriously hearty, and weeds are... well, weeds.

Thoughts?

If it's hot compost, you will be fine. If it's not, you might be in trouble.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Hubis posted:

Compost Question:

Thoughts?

It's really tough to get a true, thorough hot compost that kills all the seeds. On the other hand, weeds are going to happen no matter what (soil seed bank, blown in, carried by birds/cats/etc) and I don't want to pay extra for a yard waste bin so I compost all my weeds and don't worry about the seeds. If there's any particularly bad stuff like blackberry, quack grass, morning glory, bindweed then I'll put them in the garbage instead of the compost.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Speaking of nasty weeds, what's a good way to get rid of thistle, or at least slow it down? I believe what I've got is bull thistle - if left on its' own it will form rosettes and in the last few years I've seen some of them send up a flower head or sorts... I've been pulling or digging up as much of the tap root as I can when weeding, but there's also quite a few of them in the grass around the beds. I think I've more or less getting it slowed down.. at least somewhat. Short of nuking the area for a year, do I just keep pulling and cursing (and getting thicker gloves, ow)?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

dedian posted:

Speaking of nasty weeds, what's a good way to get rid of thistle, or at least slow it down? I believe what I've got is bull thistle - if left on its' own it will form rosettes and in the last few years I've seen some of them send up a flower head or sorts... I've been pulling or digging up as much of the tap root as I can when weeding, but there's also quite a few of them in the grass around the beds. I think I've more or less getting it slowed down.. at least somewhat. Short of nuking the area for a year, do I just keep pulling and cursing (and getting thicker gloves, ow)?

From what I'm reading it has a 2 year life cycle, first the rosettes and then the flowers which yield seeds. You want to dig them out before they flower to prevent producing more seed. It sounds like they won't resprout when pulled if you get them out at least 1-2 inches below ground level. Disturbing the soil may also bring up more seeds that then germinate.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Out on the farm we just went out and chopped as many as we could off at the base with a hoe. Just get them down to ground level and they won't come back. If your yard isn't huge it shouldn't take too long to get most/all of them and they usually get pretty big before they seed so just make sure you get them before then and you'll have a dramatically lower population next year at least.You could spray them with something that kills broadleaf weeds too if you're into that kinda thing.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks for the info - I'll do just that in the rest of the yard. There's only a few spots where they're more active. I dug up and removed as much of the root system as I could in the one garden bed that they're most active, so maybe that'll help a bit this year (not just the tap root, but I got some fibrous root cluster things way down, too, and I told each one "gently caress you thistle!" as I pulled 'em out). For the rest of the yard I'd be OK with a broadleaf herbicide but wanted to keep that away from the garden if I could.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Flowers on my cukes

Getting hyped

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
What do you guys normally do when it gets too hot for lettuces to do well? Do you start anything from seed or just transplant? What do you plant/transplant?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
You mean what to plant after lettuce? (What zone are you?) I do lettuce in the part of the bed where my peppers go, and plant them in between the lettuce. They only overlap in the bed by 2~3 weeks. The loose leaf has been gone since early May, but I still have a few heads of romaine out there now that won't be there much longer (in the next week or so.) I planted my pepper starts last weekend. You could transplant just about anything right now, and if you wanted to start something from seed, there's still lots of growing time for beets or carrots.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
You mean what to plant after lettuce? (What zone are you?) I do lettuce in the part of the bed where my peppers go, and plant them in between the lettuce. They only overlap in the bed by 2~3 weeks. The loose leaf has been gone since early May, but I still have a few heads of romaine out there now that won't be there much longer (in the next week or so.) I planted my pepper starts last weekend. You could transplant just about anything right now, and if you wanted to start something from seed, there's still lots of growing time for beets or carrots.

Yes, sorry. I'm zone 7b NC. I think I have less than a month left on my arugula and cilantro. I already have peppers down so I was thinking about what to put down that'd do well in really hot conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Rurutia posted:

Yes, sorry. I'm zone 7b NC. I think I have less than a month left on my arugula and cilantro. I already have peppers down so I was thinking about what to put down that'd do well in really hot conditions.

Some of my favorites are Spaghetti and Butternut Squash. I'll also second the beet/carrot comments above. Others you can try are bush beans, and onions.