Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Some volunteer tomatillos popped up. Now we are in a race against first frost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

These bastards, just look at them. They can't wait to get their claws into my herb pots and tear them up.

I literally leaned out the window and yelled at them and they just watched me. No shame at all.

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.
Not quite a gardening question, but I think it fits:

My yard is completely taken over with incredible amounts of creeping charlie (found it this fall CLIMBING UP my arbor vitae. Had made it a few feet vertical :staredog:). I've been trying to think of what I can do to get rid of it next spring, but am running low on options. At this point I'm thinking of nuking it with some "lawn safe" pesticide and see how it goes, but I'm worried about how that might affect my baby fruits trees and chickens.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ashwat posted:

Not quite a gardening question, but I think it fits:

My yard is completely taken over with incredible amounts of creeping charlie (found it this fall CLIMBING UP my arbor vitae. Had made it a few feet vertical :staredog:). I've been trying to think of what I can do to get rid of it next spring, but am running low on options. At this point I'm thinking of nuking it with some "lawn safe" pesticide and see how it goes, but I'm worried about how that might affect my baby fruits trees and chickens.

You can get rid of that with 2-4,D quite easily, but I would fence the chicken off for a few days after application.

This is something that would likely be included in your big box store "lawn safe" kinda thing, but it's all you really need and can be bought on it's own online/at a good ag store without whatever the hell else they may put in there. All I've ever needed in addition was water and some dish soap.

I'm all about trying to do things without too many nasties, but read about it, learn the proper application procedures and amounts and you'll be fine (and keep the ladies away).

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.

Motronic posted:

You can get rid of that with 2-4,D quite easily, but I would fence the chicken off for a few days after application.

This is something that would likely be included in your big box store "lawn safe" kinda thing, but it's all you really need and can be bought on it's own online/at a good ag store without whatever the hell else they may put in there. All I've ever needed in addition was water and some dish soap.

I'm all about trying to do things without too many nasties, but read about it, learn the proper application procedures and amounts and you'll be fine (and keep the ladies away).

Perfect, thank you! I'll look into this and how to apply it correctly.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
2-4,D will hurt trees but not grasses so be very careful if you're spraying it near trees. It's relatively safe for animals and such but yeah like Motronic said I'd keep everything off it for a couple days.

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.

ghetto wormhole posted:

2-4,D will hurt trees but not grasses so be very careful if you're spraying it near trees. It's relatively safe for animals and such but yeah like Motronic said I'd keep everything off it for a couple days.

Any idea of how far away I need to be from trees? Some of the worst infestation is in a corner of the yard near the apple trees I planted this year (4' twigs at this point). Obviously I wouldn't spray the stuff right on the trees, but if it can't be within like say, 5 feet, I might need to come up with a different option for that area.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Ashwat posted:

Any idea of how far away I need to be from trees? Some of the worst infestation is in a corner of the yard near the apple trees I planted this year (4' twigs at this point). Obviously I wouldn't spray the stuff right on the trees, but if it can't be within like say, 5 feet, I might need to come up with a different option for that area.

I'm no expert really but AFAIK as long as it doesn't touch the leaves you'll be fine. If you're trying to kill something that's currently dormant I don't think 2-4,D will work. It works by mimicking a growth hormone so the plant basically ends up growing so fast it dies.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Should be fine near trees but don't get it on the bark, especially if it's nicked/cut and definitely not on any leaves/buds.

Also, use as little as possible in a low of a concentration as possible and just....wait. It can take a week or more depending on conditions and you don't want to overapply and damage your trees.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m_Sw2D5WIU

In the fall I scattered all of the seeds from my kale, cilantro, and chard plants that bolted. Now I have a yard full of sprouts :-D

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
You can spray the trunks of the tree with no problems as long as there are no open wounds/leaves (suckers), as was mentioned above. 2-4,D does have a Restricted Entry Interval of 48 hours and is harmful to domestic animals so in addition to your chickens, keep out dogs and cats.

Here is a PDF of the label for one of the brands of 2-4,D we use in our orchard. It has some application rates to give you an idea. What you would buy in a big box store will probably be less concentrated so follow the rates on whatever label you purchase.

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.
Awesome, lots of good advice here. Thanks everyone!

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Does anybody have any advice re: hanging pots? I'm thinking of planting strawberries in a few of them b/c the last time I planted some in the ground, some rear end in a top hat pig or javelina ate them. Do I need any particular potting soil?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Most potting soils should be fine, if you can find one that says it has better moisture retention that would be best though.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Rollofthedice posted:

Does anybody have any advice re: hanging pots? I'm thinking of planting strawberries in a few of them b/c the last time I planted some in the ground, some rear end in a top hat pig or javelina ate them. Do I need any particular potting soil?

Put wire around it, or the birds will feast. Any regular potting soil will work fine.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

cool, thanks for the info.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rollofthedice posted:

You'll hate having to water them twice a day every day, and strawberries won't produce much of anything decent until their second season, especially ina tiny-rear end hanging pot.

My folks used a 4'x4' wooden raised bed for their strawberries, with a 6" high box made of PVC and hardware mesh hinged to one side. Super convenient to get into and out of it, and it's pretty much bulletproof unless your wife hits it with the riding lawnmower. We don't have anything as insistent as a pig that'd go for strawberries around these parts though.

If you're really serious about having strawberries, I might think of something like an elevated raised bed, a 3' tall bed would probably he high enough to dissuade pigs and stuff unless they're just total assholes and knock the whole structure over to get at them.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 12, 2015

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

There's no way I'm making a raised bed, sorry. I don't mind watering them often.

I did make sure to buy day-neutral varieties that produce few if any runners, in order to try and work around the limited space of a hanging pot. With luck and attention I'm sure they'll be fine.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
drat I feel like I just got schooled. But please come back and update us on how your strawberries are doing - after 18 months of twice-daily waterings which result in maybe 2 cups' of berries in the second season.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
For real, it's not gonna be even remotely worth it unless you're taking it upon yourself as a fun personal challenge just to show it technically can be done.

Like I grew like 40 extra pepper and basil plants under lights in my basement this past year out of a couple of trays full of seed starting pellets and while it was a fun experiment and learning experience no sane person would ever say that it was an appropriate or efficient way to grow produce. What you're thinking about doing is gonna be way more difficult and probably totally unrewarding.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 15, 2015

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

coyo7e posted:

drat I feel like I just got schooled. But please come back and update us on how your strawberries are doing - after 18 months of twice-daily waterings which result in maybe 2 cups' of berries in the second season.

I'm not entirely sure what I did to deserve such snippiness.

I do not so far - a few days into owning them - have a problem with watering strawberries twice daily.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 16, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rollofthedice posted:

I'm not entirely sure what I did to deserve such snippiness.

You asked for advice and seem to have discounted that which came from someone who knows better.

Rollofthedice posted:

I do not so far - a few days into owning them - have a problem with watering strawberries twice daily.

Because you're a few days into owning them. Let us know how soon you forget to water them on time, they wilt a bit and you "totally get them back" after watering them and then wonder why they are completely stunted and you get no meaningful output. And how even if you do manage to keep them watered how meager the harvest will be compared to the time/attention from this exercise.

People here are more about the practicality of growing things to eat. If this is a science/biology/ornamental experiment your expectations may not be aligned with the suggestions you are receiving.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

...dammit.

Fine. I'll just throw them away or something. It's probably too hot down here where I live anyway.

I wanted to have some fun actually planting something for the first time, seeing the fruits of my labor and getting to eat something I enjoy. I planted some in a plot I dug up, fertilized and prepared, and a loving pig ate them. I get the idea to put them in baskets, and now I won't get anything out of it. And despite this I apparently don't care about growing strawberries so much to make a raised bed for them.

It's not that I don't appreciate the advice. Info like that is just... depressing. To say the least.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 16, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Rollofthedice posted:

...dammit.

Fine. I'll just throw them away or something. It's probably too hot down here where I live anyway.

I wanted to have some fun actually planting something for the first time, seeing the fruits of my labor and getting to eat something I enjoy. I planted some in a plot I dug up, fertilized and prepared, and a loving pig ate them. I put them in baskets, and now I won't get anything out of it. And I obviously don't care about growing strawberries so much to make a raised bed for them.

It's not that I don't appreciate the advice. Info like that is just... depressing. To say the least.

We're not trying to crush your dreams or anything! (At least I'm not!)

If you're willing to spend a little money I think the best thing to do is to do what you did before and then buy an electric fencer and put up a little electric fence around your plot. It's fairly simple to do and it's humane and you'll be able to grow your strawberries the normal way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-GVoinkFnY

Alternatively you could always choose something else to grow. There's plenty of things you can grow in pots if you'd like to, it's just strawberries aren't really one of them.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 16, 2015

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

Alternatively you could always choose something else to grow. There's plenty of things you can grow in pots if you'd like to, it's just strawberries aren't really one of them.

I understand that many vegetables are very easy to grow regardless of where you put them, but do I have any options when it comes to fruits?

For example, would blueberries do well in large (18+ inch) pots, or erect, thornless blackberries? Or are pots just bad for fruits of all kinds?

Chelb fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 16, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Rollofthedice posted:

I understand that many vegetables are very easy to grow regardless of where you put them, but do I have any options when it comes to fruits?

For example, would blueberries do well in large (18+ inch) pots, or erect, thornless blackberries? Or are pots just bad for fruits of all kinds?

Those would be pretty good choices to grow in a sufficiently large (not hanging) pot. They produce quite a bit of fruit for their size and they're much more vertical compared to strawberries. You probably won't get a huge amount of fruit the first year but it's definitely doable.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

Those would be pretty good choices to grow in a sufficiently large (not hanging) pot. They produce quite a bit of fruit for their size and they're much more vertical compared to strawberries. You probably won't get a huge amount of fruit the first year but it's definitely doable.

Great. I'm thinking these blueberries would be perfect for a large pot, especially given my climate (zone 9b).

edit: I assume I need acidic potting soil. What's the best way to go about that? Is there an all-in-one thing I can buy, or do I need to acidify the soil I buy myself?

Chelb fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 16, 2015

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
What if he went with a self watering system like blumats? I think that might work in say 5 gallon buckets, with a little work.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Rollofthedice posted:

Great. I'm thinking these blueberries would be perfect for a large pot, especially given my climate (zone 9b).

edit: I assume I need acidic potting soil. What's the best way to go about that? Is there an all-in-one thing I can buy, or do I need to acidify the soil I buy myself?

Generally you'd apply an acidic fertilizer to the soil although I'm sure someone makes premixed acidic potting soil. I'd just ask your local nursery for advice, they should be knowledgeable about the best cultivars and practices for your area.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My blueberries are growing like gangbusters in 30 gallon pots (sawed in half barrels) filled with pure peat moss with a good six inches or so of decaying pine bark mulch. A less extreme approach is to go 50/50 soil and peat moss.

First year I picked the flowers off but second year they were quite productive. We'll see how they do this spring, I have high hopes (and new plans to keep out the birds).

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

My blueberries are growing like gangbusters in 30 gallon pots (sawed in half barrels) filled with pure peat moss with a good six inches or so of decaying pine bark mulch. A less extreme approach is to go 50/50 soil and peat moss.

First year I picked the flowers off but second year they were quite productive. We'll see how they do this spring, I have high hopes (and new plans to keep out the birds).

Yeah the only major problem that stunted my blueberries was I brought them inside during winter the first year. Most (all?) of them need a minimum number of cold hours during winter or they get really wonky.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

How tall/big are your blueberries, by the way? Just wondering.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 17, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rollofthedice posted:

How tall/big are your blueberries, by the way? Just wondering.

About five-six feet from the soil line and a eight from the ground the pots are on:

Ruler is 6'

Note that mine are rabbit-eye blueberries which are significantly taller than highbush varieties like the one you linked because plant names make no sense.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

About five-six feet from the soil line and a eight from the ground the pots are on:

Ruler is 6'

Note that mine are rabbit-eye blueberries which are significantly taller than highbush varieties like the one you linked because plant names make no sense.

Hmm, okay.

Should I get a container of similar size, or would I be alright if I went for something smaller since my own blueberries will apparently end up 4' tall max? I'm not entirely sure what I should be shooting for, here.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Blueberries have shallow roots so a nice wide container is better than a tall narrow one. I'm finding people who say that your varietal would be fine for several years on a 10-15 gallon container.

I just used those because I could get the barrels for $15 from a home brewing supply store and cut them in half with a saw. Can't beat that price for a pot. If you don't mind the look check Craigslist for food grade barrels, they are often used for rainwater collection (or crazy prepper types) so they aren't too awful hard to find.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Be read things here and there (highly reliable information I know) that most plants only take water and nutrients in from the first 15cm of roots, below that they usually just function to anchor the plant

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Spookydonut posted:

Be read things here and there (highly reliable information I know) that most plants only take water and nutrients in from the first 15cm of roots, below that they usually just function to anchor the plant

That's mostly just because that's where the water is typically. If the roots somehow find water deeper in the soil they'll grow in that area. And obviously genetics plays a role in how deep a particular species will typically go to try to find water.

But yeah if a plant isn't particularly top heavy like a tree then there's no need to give it a lot of vertical root space in a pot because the water is always going to be near the surface.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I decided to just plant my strawberries in a former rose garden-circle right next to the house, and not a few yards away like before. If a pig decides to wander up and eat them all again, then I'm officially done with caring about strawberries.

Now that I've got some dwarf-sized blueberries growing in 10 gallon containers (to be upgraded when necessary), I'm becoming more invested in those anyway.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 21, 2015

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Sorry, I live in NYC so maybe this is a bit naive, but do people often have problems with loose pigs wandering into your yard and eating everything?

I mean deer I get. Squirrels I get. I didn't know there was such a huge feral hog problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

mrmcd posted:

Sorry, I live in NYC so maybe this is a bit naive, but do people often have problems with loose pigs wandering into your yard and eating everything?

I mean deer I get. Squirrels I get. I didn't know there was such a huge feral hog problem.

Right behind me is a neighbor who owns some animals. Horses, cows, pigs. Presumably one's escaping from the fence put up, somewhere. There've been talks before, but...

It could also be a regular feral hog or even a javelina - I'm southern enough for them to not be particularly uncommon.