Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

The tomatoes are growing much faster in the last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Windy posted:

edit: How are the Brandywines Kid Sinister? My mother usually plants Better Boys, and the seeds I started are an heirloom mix. I honestly won't know what kind of tomatoes I have until they mature.

Brandywines are an heirloom variety. Some people claim disease problems with them, but, I've never had a problem. We get 1 pound tomatoes with regular watering and without pruning.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The two courgette seeds I planted in peat starters on the kitchen window sill have grown legs, unearthed themselves & torn themselves out of the soil, seeking revenge for the atrocious act of live burial.

My wife explained that was supposed to happen, they're growing normally. I put the hammer down.

2 at the back, courgettes. 2 bottom left, tomatoes. Other 4, peppers & chillies. Not pictured, Potatoes already 3" of shoots, needs deepening, carrots & parsnips, no signs of life.
Rhubarb:
[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/15a45adef1b0efd0e6a9a5eca90d3b914afe0a25/P280309_11.46_[01].jpg[/img]
This was last week. Now it's so big I have to crop it or lose it tomorrow.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
First time gardening since I was a child. I'm starting my own little herb garden indoors, right now I've got some dill, basil, oregano, thyme and chives on the go.

I'm following the directions on the package/ a couple of quick glances at the internet, but does anyone have any recommendations for herb garden books/websites that are reliable/comprehensive?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Can anyone tell the difference between a pumpkin and a courgette seedling? Only the squirrel smooshed them all about in the seed tray and I don't know what's what but I had a specific place for the pumpkins and was planning on containering the courgettes again this year :sigh:

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

madlilnerd posted:

Can anyone tell the difference between a pumpkin and a zucchini seedling? Only the squirrel smooshed them all about in the seed tray and I don't know what's what but I had a specific place for the pumpkins and was planning on containering the zucchini again this year :sigh:

Translated for those of us on the other side of the pond. I honestly don't have a clue. They are likely the same species. Zucchini is a type of Cucurbita pepo as are many varieties of pumpkins. There probably isn't a way, at least until they get bigger and some of them start developing a vining habit and some stay bushy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Blue_monday posted:

First time gardening since I was a child. I'm starting my own little herb garden indoors, right now I've got some dill, basil, oregano, thyme and chives on the go.

I'm following the directions on the package/ a couple of quick glances at the internet, but does anyone have any recommendations for herb garden books/websites that are reliable/comprehensive?

If you followed the instructions, I doubt you'd need any real advice. Herbs are super easy to grow. Most grow like weeds. Hell, some are weeds.

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

I'm in Milwaukee and have some Quinault strawberries and snap peas out on my porch... they can withstand frost, right? I'm asking because research suggested they can but now that I left the peas uncovered last night they're looking a bit wilty.

I planted a backup crop just in case, but I'd still hate to lose this batch. The strawberries aren't producing any flowers anymore since I transplanted them but otherwise they look okay.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Chajara posted:

I'm in Milwaukee and have some Quinault strawberries and snap peas out on my porch... they can withstand frost, right? I'm asking because research suggested they can but now that I left the peas uncovered last night they're looking a bit wilty.

I planted a backup crop just in case, but I'd still hate to lose this batch. The strawberries aren't producing any flowers anymore since I transplanted them but otherwise they look okay.

They can withstand frost if they're in the ground, not if they're potted up on your porch. If they're in the ground, they at least have the dirt to insulate the roots. If they're up in a pot above ground, then the cold air can work on all parts of the plant.

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

kid sinister posted:

They can withstand frost if they're in the ground, not if they're potted up on your porch. If they're in the ground, they at least have the dirt to insulate the roots. If they're up in a pot above ground, then the cold air can work on all parts of the plant.

...poo poo. I'll be bringing those in, then. :(

SweatyMeatLoaf
Jun 4, 2007

I'm starting up a container garden. I live in an apartment and I have a small allotment of land I can use, but I can't till or dig there. I also have a small deck and a small concrete pad at my front door, all of which get decent sun exposure. My plan of attack is to use your standard plastic pots to grow herbs and flowers on the patio, and I'm going to use those large Rubbermaid storage tubs as containers for tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes. I also have enough room for a couple of small troughs which I will use for some onions.

I'm posting to share my plans and get some opinions from experienced apartment gardening goons as to how this may work. My gardening experience on open land is extensive, and my seedlings are all doing marvelous ( Fennel, cucumber, eggplant, dill, basil, lavender, parsley, chives, etc.) but I've never tried to grow in containers with such limited space.
My plan is to take the large Rubbermaid tubs (4lx 2'w x 2.5'd)and drill 5 drainage holes in the bottom, and 4 on the long sides and 2 on the short sides, about 4 inches up. I am then going to fill them 4" or so from the rim with a blend of topsoil, compost, spent mushroom compost ( if you can get this, or the waste products from a cotton mill, DO IT!!! Also use it sparingly, a little goes a long way), and clay. I might add a little sand if needed, and I may have access to some manure from an organic grassfed beef operation.
These will be home to the peppers, tomatoes, potatoes and eggplants. I estimate I could comfortably fit two of each type of plant in each tub. I may also build some hanging tomato containers. These may serve me better and free up a container or two for a squash or zucchini (Only one of these per container). To keep this from looking ghetto my girlfriend is going to paint the outside with various flowers and bees and birds and other poo poo. I'm also going to put out a few clay pots with some various flowers and decorative plants around. I haven't decided what just yet but when they are finished and everything is going, I'll post pics.

Anyway, anyone have experience with growing Early Girl tomatoes, or any variety of pepper or eggplant in containers? Any hints? is my idea destined to failure or am I on to something here? would 5 or 6 1/3" drainage holes on the bottoms of each container be sufficient? Any suggestions are welcome, I have pined for my old garden spot in northern Middle TN for too long now and I simply must taste a tomato fresh off the vine, or I will surely die.

Edit: Almost forgot, anyone know any ideas fro growing cucumbers from a hanging container? good idea or bad? I might also try melons , I have some netting that would work perfect for holding nice big watermelons.

SweatyMeatLoaf fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 13, 2009

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Well, this thread was getting visual, so I felt it was time to break out the pictures.

Thread, say hello to my parent's garden! It's split into 3 hideously overgrown thirds. Let's begin!

This is the front third, with deck, swing, bird feeding station, washing line. The blah blah practical lawn bit. Very boring.

Oh look, seedings! My pumpkins/courgettes are looking a bit leggy.

Anyway, down the garden path to the important bit: My veggie plot. To the left against the fence is my pollination border. The middle plot is where my pumpkin will be. That container has lily bulbs in, and you can just make out my row of garlic on the right hand plot.

Lastly, the last third. Or as we call it, the jungle.

I wish I had LARPing buddies.

Here's my crappy halfarsed wildlife pond. It leaks.

But no worries, my brother has been digging me a new one!

I'm not sure how deep the hole is, but I'm about 5ft2 and it's over my head by quite a way.

Well, here's a panorama from inside the hole. On dry days it would make an awesome Tattooine playset, but I don't have any figurines. On a day like today, the clay was so sticky that the hole tried to eat my shoe as I tried to exit.

Anyway, that was my garden in all it's leafy glory.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that
I have a small herb garden inside, my first. Its two large pots that each have a mixture of herbs in it. One of them has two types of basil and some dill. I live in a condo, and get a good amount of sunshine in the morning and afternoon.

Today when watering, I noticed some small little black bugs flying around as I watered. I haven't noticed any damage yet, but the plants are very young, just a couple weeks old. Is this anything to worry about?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

They might be fruit flies, do you have any food laying around that they could be eating?

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
Yeah that's about what they look like, but no there's no food anywhere, I keep my place tidy.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had cheetos laying about in the carpet, I meant like a bowl on the counter with apples and bananas in it.

Hmm, do you have room to build a little tent of screen material over the planters? Maybe if you isolate them as a habitat it might be easier to find out where the bugs are coming from.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

They’re probably eating something in the soil. If it’s only a few, I wouldn’t worry. It’s not like nature entirely stops at our front doors, especially when you have plants, and its not a sign that you are messy or anything.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
Yeah I'm not worried about what it shows about me, just dont want to come home and have no plants left one day.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Those aren't fruit flies, those are fungus gnats. Their larvae live in dirt and eat dead roots and leaves. While not a danger to people, they can spread diseases between plants and are more of a danger to smaller and new plants. There are a couple methods to treat and control them. The first is to not overwater your plants. You can also do sticky traps or the potato trap method. That's where you cut a potato into 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch chunks and place those chunks on the soil surface for a few days. Pick it up and you should quickly see if you have larvae in your dirt. Throw away potato when done if it wasn't obvious.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool, a veg gardening thread.

I've nearly finished planting out a bunch of stuff: leafy veg including pak choi, purple lettuce, rocket and green (?) lettuce; bulbs of white & red onion and garlic; planted out tomato seeds today (cherry and big type); cress; mushrooms; potatoes (first and second earlies).

I rent a room but the house owner has a decent-size back garden for an English terrace/row house, it's all covered in paving stones and pea gravel (which the cats love) so I'm using containers. Hopefully I've learned from the past couple of years and I won't be growing too much stuff all at once. I found a British allotment grower's web guide that tells you what to plant/harvest/do month-to-month, which is a big help: http://www.allotment.org.uk/garden_month.php so hopefully I'll be able to harvest more than some herbs and shitloads of salad this year.

The light isn't great so I have to keep the containers in the middle of the garden or right next to/on the path to the back gate, but leafy salad stuff does really well. This is my first year trying potatoes, mushrooms and onion/garlic bulbs.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Those aren't fruit flies, those are fungus gnats. Their larvae live in dirt and eat dead roots and leaves. While not a danger to people, they can spread diseases between plants and are more of a danger to smaller and new plants. There are a couple methods to treat and control them. The first is to not overwater your plants. You can also do sticky traps or the potato trap method. That's where you cut a potato into 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch chunks and place those chunks on the soil surface for a few days. Pick it up and you should quickly see if you have larvae in your dirt. Throw away potato when done if it wasn't obvious.

Cool, this makes more sense.

And if I do have larvae, what do I do exactly? Will simply cutting down on the watering get rid of them?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Cutting down on watering will help, but it probably won't get rid of them completely. That's where the sticky traps for the adults and the potato trap for the larvae come in. There are chemical methods too, but that's for more than a handful of plants, not to mention that you have to worry about other things like kids and pets getting harmed by the pesticides.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Translated for those of us on the other side of the pond. I honestly don't have a clue. They are likely the same species. Zucchini is a type of Cucurbita pepo as are many varieties of pumpkins. There probably isn't a way, at least until they get bigger and some of them start developing a vining habit and some stay bushy.
Oh, courgettes are zucchinis?! Wow that clears up a lot of confusion (filthy colonial checking in).

So I'm going to be moving into an apartment in the next month or so. I live pretty far south (US) so I should be able to get some stuff grown out of containers, lettuce, herbs, tomatoes if I have enough sun. One question is how hard is it to grow potatoes in containers?

Other than being late in the growing season I'm going to be there for at least 2 years. I've lived there before (same apartment complex anyway) so I'm familiar with the layout, if you're on the bottom floor you get a mostly walled in slab for a front porch, the wall is about 5' high. On the top floor you get a sort of balcony area that is the same size, both of these are used for entry to your apartment so it limits the space a bit. If I'm on the top floor I may be able to try tomatoes, on the bottom floor it won't be likely.

If I end up on the bottom floor what are some more shady options? I'm guessing spinach, lettuce, and the like; what about herbs? Onions? Leeks even?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

landis posted:

Oh, courgettes are zucchinis?! Wow that clears up a lot of confusion (filthy colonial checking in).

Took me a while to get used to the different garden terms (I moved to the UK 5 years ago) - mange tout are baby snow peas, baby corn is popular with roast dinners, jacket potatoes are baked potatoes, I'm still trying to figure out what marrow is, etc., but it's sinking in slowly :) but, slugs are slugs, manure is manure, sun + water + fertilizer is the key still, it all still works!

imaginaryfriend
Sep 5, 2008
I'm just popping in to say I love this thread! It's good to know there are so many others out there gardening. :)

My friends and I (8 of us live together, most of us goons) have started a garden on the side of our house, a bunch of containers, and (soon) a front yard garden.
Here are some pics:

Side garden with tomatoes and peppers, basil, oregano, cilantro, and marigolds:

Microgreens (YUM):

Our container garden with stevia, catnip, lettuce, chard, 5 types of mint, parsley and cilantro:

And the front garden to be (hasn't been planted yet but will be beans, cukes, lettuce, and brussel sprouts):

For much more on our whole gardening experience: http://communev01.blogspot.com/

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

imaginaryfriend posted:

I'm just popping in to say I love this thread! It's good to know there are so many others out there gardening. :)

My friends and I (8 of us live together, most of us goons) have started a garden on the side of our house, a bunch of containers, and (soon) a front yard garden.
Here are some pics:

Side garden with tomatoes and peppers, basil, oregano, cilantro, and marigolds:

Microgreens (YUM):

Our container garden with stevia, catnip, lettuce, chard, 5 types of mint, parsley and cilantro:

And the front garden to be (hasn't been planted yet but will be beans, cukes, lettuce, and brussel sprouts):

For much more on our whole gardening experience: http://communev01.blogspot.com/

What's it like growing stevia? How does it taste? I'm a big fan of artificial sweeteners, especially Splenda, but I've never been able to get used to stevia.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.

krushgroove posted:

Took me a while to get used to the different garden terms (I moved to the UK 5 years ago) - mange tout are baby snow peas, baby corn is popular with roast dinners, jacket potatoes are baked potatoes, I'm still trying to figure out what marrow is, etc., but it's sinking in slowly :) but, slugs are slugs, manure is manure, sun + water + fertilizer is the key still, it all still works!

My allotment neighbor in England told me a marrow is just a courgette that got too big. I think really it is a seperate kind of squash, but I've heard it used interchangeably with squash and find it all very confusing.

I am American but my grandmother and mother always used 'courgette' and when I first had 'zucchini' bread I didn't know what magical thing it was. I thought it was a kind of apple.

-

I am really curious about growing stevia as well. I also prefer Splenda, but if I could grow sweetener I might switch for the sake of being cheap. How do you use the leaves? Do you dry and grind it? Can you use it raw in like tea--like boil it in?

Speaking of tea, has anyone every grown their own? I know it isn't hardy as far north as I am, but I was thinking of doing it in a container and having a use for my lights in the winter. I am really out of my depth on that, I make herbal teas sometimes but that's about it.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

HeatherChandler posted:

I am really curious about growing stevia as well. I also prefer Splenda, but if I could grow sweetener I might switch for the sake of being cheap. How do you use the leaves? Do you dry and grind it? Can you use it raw in like tea--like boil it in?

Speaking of tea, has anyone every grown their own? I know it isn't hardy as far north as I am, but I was thinking of doing it in a container and having a use for my lights in the winter. I am really out of my depth on that, I make herbal teas sometimes but that's about it.
I understand that stevia can steep like tea, there's a guy in SA Mart selling the stuff. However he's not clear on whether he's selling the leaves or the extract (his pricing implies leaves, his description implies extract).

Seconding the 'can you grow tea', I'm a rabid tea-drinker and making my own would be kickass.

edit: Apparently Camellia Sinensis, the plant all true teas are derived from (blacks, oolongs, greens, whites) is relatively easy to grow and hardy to zone 8, the link suggests containers/indoors/lights if you're further north. Supposedly you can't harvest from it until year 3, however.
http://coffeetea.about.com/od/preparation/a/growingtea.htm

landis fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 15, 2009

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Right, how much space does one need to grow their own tea? That would be totally crazy, serving friends and family your own personal tea. I know you can get your own blends made from different types already, and that's pretty cool too, considering you'd need a plantation to get your own mix.

HeatherChandler posted:

marrow talk

Ah OK, that might explain why it's seemingly such a big deal at harvest festivals, because they're hard to get to that size without splitting or whatever they do.

imaginaryfriend posted:

Microgreens (YUM):

I had to look up microgreens, I have to confess it sounds interesting and tasty!

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

krushgroove posted:

Right, how much space does one need to grow their own tea? That would be totally crazy, serving friends and family your own personal tea. I know you can get your own blends made from different types already, and that's pretty cool too, considering you'd need a plantation to get your own mix.
I guess it would depend on your desired yield. Judging from the pictures of mature plants, a large container might be able to fit 2, or even 1 big one depending on whether you prune it (which I don't know if it would be beneficial to do so). I can see being able to get at least a cup's worth a week from it, though I am just guesstimating.

As for making a mix, depending on what you're talking about mixing in it, all you would need to do is process the leaves differently to get different kinds of teas. A white tea would be dried leaves right off the plant, I'm thinking all you'd need to do is stick them in the oven for a bit. Green tea would be a short steam or pan fry and then stick them in the oven. Oolong would be leave them out in the sun for a while, bring them in and let them rest, then dry them in the oven. For black tea, crush/roll it and leave it to dry in a root cellar for 2 or 3 days (longer is blacker, but can't go too long), then stick them in the oven.

You probably won't be rolling in tea but it might be enough for the occasional tin. Throwing a few leaves in with crappy store-bought tea would improve the flavor significantly, I 'spect.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

landis posted:

I understand that stevia can steep like tea, there's a guy in SA Mart selling the stuff. However he's not clear on whether he's selling the leaves or the extract (his pricing implies leaves, his description implies extract).

Seconding the 'can you grow tea', I'm a rabid tea-drinker and making my own would be kickass.

edit: Apparently Camellia Sinensis, the plant all true teas are derived from (blacks, oolongs, greens, whites) is relatively easy to grow and hardy to zone 8, the link suggests containers/indoors/lights if you're further north. Supposedly you can't harvest from it until year 3, however.
http://coffeetea.about.com/od/preparation/a/growingtea.htm

I was already tempted to grow my own tea, and now even more so, if I can ever manage to finish digging up my yard. One of the seed catalogues I get has a tea variety hardy to zone 7. Chances are it will never work out. First, I’m in Boston, and although I’m about a mile from the Harbor which moderates things, it’s still New England. Zone 7 is generous. Any hardiness zone map shows that I am solidly in zone 6, but it never drops below zero here due to my elevation and proximity to the water. Even if the tea grows, I am looking at a couple years minimum before harvest. Also, I prefer black tea and I have no idea how to ferment and roast the tea. That combined with the fact that there are numerous blends that I enjoy and could buy a couple pounds of those fine loose leaf teas for the cost of the plant and fertilizers, and those couple pounds will make about 40 gallons of tea. Any sane and rational person will just buy some tea. Therefore I’m going to get a tea plant and see how it goes.

http://www.jungseed.com/dp3.asp?c=&sku=12261

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
drat landis you've researched this all out :)

Do the tea plants grow indoors, like a houseplant? I'd imagine they are tropical or semi-tropical. If so this might be a fun thing to do, it'd be like combining gardening with making beef jerky.

e: just read the link above, sounds like they'd be indoor-friendly

imaginaryfriend
Sep 5, 2008
I love stevia and was excited when I saw it at one of the gardening centers. This is my first time growing it, so I don't have a lot of info to give.

I've been eating the leaves fresh and have also boiled them into iced tea. I wonder if they would be good in sun tea. :) I love to pick a leaf of stevia and a leaf of mint and eat them together as a sweet little treat.

But you can also dry the leaves and grind them to use as a powder. We don't really have enough plants yet to mess with stuff like that yet. I'm hoping our plant will take off and get really big... but it hasn't yet. Here's a close up:

Also, you can definitely grow tea at home if you like herbal tea. (I've never tried to grow a tea plant.) We have catnip and 5 kinds of mint that I make tea out of. I used to have lavender too which made lovely tea.

And finally, anyone interested in growing microgreens should really give it a try. It's fast, easy, cheap and they are delicious and amazingly nutritious. Basically it's all the goodness of the fully grown plant but in tiny baby form. So the nutrients and taste are multiplied. Yum!!!!

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I was already tempted to grow my own tea, and now even more so, if I can ever manage to finish digging up my yard. One of the seed catalogues I get has a tea variety hardy to zone 7. Chances are it will never work out. First, I’m in Boston, and although I’m about a mile from the Harbor which moderates things, it’s still New England. Zone 7 is generous. Any hardiness zone map shows that I am solidly in zone 6, but it never drops below zero here due to my elevation and proximity to the water. Even if the tea grows, I am looking at a couple years minimum before harvest. Also, I prefer black tea and I have no idea how to ferment and roast the tea. That combined with the fact that there are numerous blends that I enjoy and could buy a couple pounds of those fine loose leaf teas for the cost of the plant and fertilizers, and those couple pounds will make about 40 gallons of tea. Any sane and rational person will just buy some tea. Therefore I’m going to get a tea plant and see how it goes.

http://www.jungseed.com/dp3.asp?c=&sku=12261
Yep, I found a great supplier of high quality tea and damnit I'm going to grow my own cuz that's how I roll :downs:. It seems though that you can container grow it and bring it inside when it gets cold, so maybe you can pull it off. (edit: I see you mentioned this VVV)

As for making black tea, :eng101: it's not actually fermented even though the oxidization process is commonly called that. It would take some experimentation to get it right, but basically you hand roll/crush it (I imagine that rubbing the leaves in between your palms until they're rolled up and bruised would work), dry it in a dark cool place for a couple days, then put it in the oven at 250 F for about 20 minutes to stop the oxidization.

(I really want to do this and really think its viable :haw:)

krushgroove posted:

Ever since discovering Real Tea (shameless plug for my favoritest tea place evar) I've turned into a horrible, elitist even, tea nerd :neckbeard:.

If I may be permitted to nerd out a bit.

I got a cup of tea on a whim at a Barnes and Noble coffee shop one day. It was really great, and opening the cup I discovered a new tea bag I hadn't seen before, it was pyramid-shaped with big pieces of leaves in it. I bought a couple tins and really enjoyed tea for the first time in my life, even going so far as to buy a Brita filter and electric kettle for work (the water here is horrible, you could solder with it srsly).

That is, until I discovered Adagio teas. Thing is for a tea to taste really great you need the wholest leaf possible and the leaf needs room to expand. Tea bags are meh because they are the dust and fannings of real tea, crammed into a tiny bag. Plus this adds extra processing steps which effects the cost. By getting the tea kit from Adagio I discovered an easy way to infuse loose tea and a ready reasonably-priced source of high quality tea. Before, with the bagged tea tins I bought from Barnes and Noble I was paying about $.23 per cup. Now I'm paying about $.19 per cup, $.08 per cup if I infuse my leaves twice (I may try three times today) which I've decided to do from now on because the second cup tastes just as good.

A note about caffeine. Black tea has the most caffeine, then oolong, then green, then white. However, it is to coffee what a whole grain muffin is to a krispy kreme (I still enjoy coffee occasionally); a more 'hearty' caffeine that releases over a longer period of time, refreshing and relaxing the drinker. If you're caffeine sensitive, infuse the tea for about 30 seconds, drain, then infuse again for real. This will significantly reduce the amount of caffeine, and it also means that my second cup won't cause the jitters.

Edit:
A note on antioxidants and the health benefits of green tea. Further research has shown that all teas (from Camellia anyway) provide effectively the same health benefits, the focus on green tea has been merely due to old Chinese wisdom and it was the initial tea tested.

Here's my tea cabinet at work (crappy cell phone pics):

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I fill the jug at the sink and use it to fill my Brita pitcher. The water here is pretty horrible so I get the added benefit of drinkable water at my desk.

Makin' some tea. Lapsang Souchong today, a black tea with a delightfully smoky flavor.

Tea comes out the bottom once you push in a plastic thingamajig by setting it on your cup. My cup looks big but it's actually not much more than a regular coffee mug. (Notice my effeminate IT professional hands that haven't been marred by awesome gardening yet.)

No sweeteners, nothing but pure tea. I like my tea black just like my metal :rock:

...mmmmm...

edit:

imaginaryfriend posted:

I love stevia and was excited when I saw it at one of the gardening centers. This is my first time growing it, so I don't have a lot of info to give.

I've been eating the leaves fresh and have also boiled them into iced tea. I wonder if they would be good in sun tea. :) I love to pick a leaf of stevia and a leaf of mint and eat them together as a sweet little treat.

But you can also dry the leaves and grind them to use as a powder. We don't really have enough plants yet to mess with stuff like that yet. I'm hoping our plant will take off and get really big... but it hasn't yet. Here's a close up:

Also, you can definitely grow tea at home if you like herbal tea. (I've never tried to grow a tea plant.) We have catnip and 5 kinds of mint that I make tea out of. I used to have lavender too which made lovely tea.

And finally, anyone interested in growing microgreens should really give it a try. It's fast, easy, cheap and they are delicious and amazingly nutritious. Basically it's all the goodness of the fully grown plant but in tiny baby form. So the nutrients and taste are multiplied. Yum!!!!
I may have to copy this...

landis fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 15, 2009

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

krushgroove posted:

Do the tea plants grow indoors, like a houseplant? I'd imagine they are tropical or semi-tropical. If so this might be a fun thing to do, it'd be like combining gardening with making beef jerky.

e: just read the link above, sounds like they'd be indoor-friendly

My reading of that is that they are not tropical, but instead have characteristics of both being temperate and subtropical. The best tea growing regions are on the highlands of China and India, and Japan, Taiwan, and Kenya grow quite a bit too. Based on where the most prolific tea gardens are I would imaging that they don’t like it either bitterly cold or sweltering. If you can’t plant it outside in the ground, rather than growing it as a houseplant, I think you will do better putting it in a big pot, keep it on a deck, and bring it in late fall after it gets cold but before it gets sub-zero bitterly cold, and bring it in to an attic or unheated garage, and once the crocuses come out, bring it back outdoors.

imaginaryfriend posted:

I had to look up microgreens too. I’ve never heard of it before until now, but was reading about them. Are they really 30% protein? That’s amazing! I’m going to try it out. Do you eat them straight or add them to stuff?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

My reading of that is that they are not tropical, but instead have characteristics of both being temperate and subtropical. The best tea growing regions are on the highlands of China and India, and Japan, Taiwan, and Kenya grow quite a bit too. Based on where the most prolific tea gardens are I would imaging that they don’t like it either bitterly cold or sweltering. If you can’t plant it outside in the ground, rather than growing it as a houseplant, I think you will do better putting it in a big pot, keep it on a deck, and bring it in late fall after it gets cold but before it gets sub-zero bitterly cold, and bring it in to an attic or unheated garage, and once the crocuses come out, bring it back outdoors.
I believe the tea grown in Kenya is actually red tea (a completely different plant) but I could be completely wrong here.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Jesus we have enough for a tea thread here.

Landis, I thought I was a tea nerd (only as a Yank in Brit-land) but you, sir, are the master. I bow to your superior tea-nerdiness.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

landis posted:

I believe the tea grown in Kenya is actually red tea (a completely different plant) but I could be completely wrong here.

http://www.kenya-information-guide.com/kenya-tea.html

It reads like the Kenyan Chamber of Commerce, but they grow black tea there. Red tea is mostly grown in South Africa.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

http://www.kenya-information-guide.com/kenya-tea.html

It reads like the Kenyan Chamber of Commerce, but they grow black tea there. Red tea is mostly grown in South Africa.
Serves me right for not researching my 'facts'. Actually, after I posted that and went back to read the wikipedia Roobios page in more detail it clearly says there it's primarily grown in South Africa.

krushgroove posted:

Jesus we have enough for a tea thread here.

Landis, I thought I was a tea nerd (only as a Yank in Brit-land) but you, sir, are the master. I bow to your superior tea-nerdiness.
:wotwot: indeed

landis fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

HeatherChandler posted:

My allotment neighbor in England told me a marrow is just a courgette that got too big. I think really it is a seperate kind of squash, but I've heard it used interchangeably with squash and find it all very confusing.

Firstly, zuccini is Italian, whereas courgette is French. Different parts of the world with different heritages say whichever. Apparently Australia say zuccini and New Zealand say courgette. GAH.

Technically, yes a marrow is just a stupidly large courgette, but if you want to grow marrow (it's good stuffed!) then it's best to choose a variety designed to grow to marrow size. If you go for one that was meant to be an itty bitty courgette it might taste bitter or be too watery. Do you not eat marrows in the US then?
For more info on marrows, watch this flash cartoon:
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/marrow/

And when you say squash, I presume you mean butternut squash, which is that large orange gourd thing? That's what most English people will think you mean.

quote:

mange tout are baby snow peas

Mange tout tend to be the flatter varieties. The rounder eat whole peas are called sugar snap peas (or at least the ones I'm growing are).

quote:

No sweeteners, nothing but pure tea. I like my tea black just like my metal
Amen.
I drink my tea with a slosh of cold water instead of the usual milk. Milk is disgusting.